Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Yikes...both Binghamton and Vegas are down 0-2 in their respective five-game playoff series.  Montero started last night, put up meh numbers.

Lefthander Darin Gorski started for Binghamton and pitched pretty well (7 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K) but took the loss as Binghamton managed just two hits for the game.

If you didn't know anything about Gorski, you'd see his AA regular season numbers and think "Wow, who's this guy?"  The numbers are pretty: 

14 G (13 starts), 78.2 IP, 46 H, 16 ER, 1 HR, 22 BB, 67 K, 6-1, 1.83 ERA

Unfortunately, he'll be 26 in October, and was taken off the Mets' 40-man roster last spring.  He was drafted out of college (Kutztown) in 2009.  He had started this season with Vegas, put up a 6.59 ERA in four appearances there (3 starts), suffered a shoulder strain, then found himself demoted to Binghamton, where he's remained.  Considering he spent all of last season there, this has been kind of a lost year for him.   

If he's ever going to be a major-leaguer, I'm guessing he's going to have to have a very strong showing in AAA next season...getting to be now-or-never with him...yeah, who knows, guys come up in their late 20s and contribute, but I'm sure that's not the route he'd like to go. 

Bizarro World baseball today. Dice K turns in a pretty good start, and Murph draws three walks.

Vegas eliminated in their series 3 games to 1, B-Mets swept by Trenton.  Oh well, at least those teams got there. 

Looks like everyone on here is calling it a season. 

Feel for d'Arnaud...poor guy is 1-for-23 over his last 6 games...he's now down to .136.  Of course, we all want to him to get as much playing time as possible, but can't help but worry about a young player's confidence.  Hope the hits start coming for him.  Ditto Flores, though it looks like that ankle injury is really bothering him.  Not sure how much better it's going to get for him.  

There's positives in some of the negative performances:

Duda, predictably, is starting to suck again.  Thank God.  I think Passive was fully prepared to give him ANOTHER chance if he tore it up.  Hopefully Sandy sees that this guy is not a solution to anything. 

And Parnell is going to have back surgery, with the hope that he will be ready for spring training.  So why exactly did it take this long?  What were the Mets hoping for, that Parnell would be able to pitch in the last two weeks of the season? 

What happens to Howie Rose then? The Mets on the radio wouldn't be the same without him. I love Gary just as much but Howie is basically the voice of the Mets, he's always the stadium voice-over for ceremonies, Opening Day, etc.

2014 schedule came out today, Mets open the season at home vs the Nationals on March 31st: http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=nym&partnerId=as_mlb_20130910_11747474#y=2014&m=3&calendar=DEFAULT

Mets and Blue Jays are also playing a couple of exhibition games in Montreal at Olympic Stadium on March 28th and 29th: http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/teams/toronto-blue-jays/report-dates-set-for-montreal-games/

Edited by nmigliore

Good question about Howie. Who knows since nothing is official yet...but this is typical buffoonery on the part of the Mets. WFAN has a powerful signal, now they're going to be buried on god knows where.

Also WFAN is getting the Yankees just as they're going to begin their decline. Seems like this move is being made 15 years too late. Might as well keep the Mets since the future looks brighter. 

Sucks that the Mets have been on WFAN for a generation and now it's over...especially now that WFAN has FM AND AM signals.  I mean it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they made it to ESPN radio, at least they could join the Jets there :P  But if they wound up on Bloomberg channel like the Isles do it's a joke.

What happens to Howie Rose then? The Mets on the radio wouldn't be the same without him. I love Gary just as much but Howie is basically the voice of the Mets, he's always the stadium voice-over for ceremonies, Opening Day, etc.

2014 schedule came out today, Mets open the season at home vs the Nationals on March 31st: http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=nym&partnerId=as_mlb_20130910_11747474#y=2014&m=3&calendar=DEFAULT

Mets and Blue Jays are also playing a couple of exhibition games in Montreal at Olympic Stadium on March 28th and 29th: http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/teams/toronto-blue-jays/report-dates-set-for-montreal-games/

I doubt the baseball play by play guy is tied to the station as much as they are the team, but if they did somehow lose Howie it would make it a hundred times worse.

It's just the ripple effect of the Wilpons idiocy. The Mets helped build WFAN along with Imus. And sure they're losing money on the Mets NOW...but you know what Wilpon needs to step up and ante up to cover the losses. Keep the Mets on the most popular sports talk station in NY because once better days come...it'll be a tremendous boon.

Off the top of my head, I don't even know what station the Yankees play on. Or the Jets for that matter. Once you leave WFAN, you don't exist

I love how the Devils are on WFAN now. It's a powerful signal and gives the team more exposure

Sucks that the WFAN won't be the flagship station of the Mets anymore, but in a lot of ways, does it really matter THAT much?  I remember when the Mets were on channel 9 forever, then switched to 11.  I'm sure the radio personalities on the WFAN who are Met fans will continue to talk about them just as much as they always do.  I don't really listen to games that much on the radio anyway...only when I can't watch. 

Gee has been giving up dingers lately...6 of them in his four starts, covering 27 IP.  They actually haven't hurt him that much...he's allowed 11 runs overall in those games.   

Things have gone into the crapper in a hurry...6-13 in their last 19 GP, and probably isn't going to get much better.  15 RS in their last 7 GP...that's what's going to happen when guys like Doofus, Turner (though he's been hitting lately) and kids are in the lineup every day.  The only thing one can really do as the season draws to a roughly 70-win close is focus on the good stuff...like d'Arnaud getting a couple of hits yesterday...or Vic Black throwing a scoreless inning. 

I have a feeling Sandy is not going to go all-out this offseason...and as much as it pains me to say it, I can't say that I blame him.  I get the feeling Harvey is going to miss all of 2014...originally, I was annoyed with him for putting off the surgery and hoping he wouldn't need it, but even if he got the surgery right now, how much of 2014 would he be able to come back for?  Maybe a month?  What I'm saying is that, he probably doesn't have much to lose by waiting a while...he wasn't likely to pitch in 2014 anyway.  If he is somehow miraculously OK, then awesome. 

As for the rest...d'Arnaud looks like he may need a full season of growing pains at the plate.  There's a chance both Montero and Syndergaard could both be on the Mets sometime next year (knock on wood, we know how plans like that can change in a heartbeat)...but both will also probably experience some growing pains.  Lagares could definitely use some work and growth at the plate too. 

Basically, it looks like there's some pieces here that can contribute, but can use some more games and seasoning.  I wanted 2014 to be a step forward, as far as contention goes, and I think it WILL be a step forward, but a different kind.  I think a lot of guys are going to get some much-needed experience next season, and THEN this team will be ready for bear in 2015. 

But no more Doofus-types...make 2014 about the guys you really think can contribute in 2015 and beyond.  Next year CANNOT be about giving the guys who have already failed one last chance.  Even if next season's team is only a 75-80 win team, as long as there's some new faces and some good collective upside, I can live with having to wait one more year. 

Wheeler's last 7 starts:  44.2 IP, 42 H, 12 ER, 2 HR, 12 BB, 40 K, 2.42 ERA.  He's allowed 3 ER or less in all of those starts, and more than one walk in just two of them...his ERA is down to 3.22.  Sure, we'd love to see him give up less hits and throw less pitches, but overall this guy has made a hell of a lot of progress.  He allowed 28 BB through his first 50.2 IP.  These are smaller samples within a small sample of course, but at least everything's headed in the right direction.  He probably gets another start or two before he's shut down.  Impossible not to be excited about him for 2014.

When Dan Haren (who DOES have good games from time to time, in fairness) is mowing you down, you know the ugliness is only beginning.  Mets now 6-14 in their last 20, and a season-high 16 games under .500.  As much as I would rather Collins not be back next season, I'd be surprised if the Mets let him go...it's hard to ignore the fact that his guys have played hard for him for much of the season, and there isn't a manager in the world who could be expected to turn in a decent September with what Collins has to work with right now.  Torres, Dice K, and now Harang making up one-half of a six man rotation?!  And though the kids are getting valuable playing time (as they should), they're not really hitting much at all.   

Mets need to win 6 out of their last 18 games to win 70 games.  I think they'll get to 70, and though I understand that a guy like Byrd, who was key in making the Mets respectable for a while, HAD to be moved for some return, and that steps backward had to be taken to hopefully take steps forward, it's still kind of a bummer to be going out on this note. 

I don't even care what their record is, just secure a protected draft pick so we don't have to go through that silliness again this winter.

True dat. 

Can't really judge Collins too much on this disgraceful stretch since they are putting a skeleton crew out there right now (though it would've been nice to see them TRY against Washington) though they did win tonight against the mighty Marlins. Maybe Terry is a good clubhouse leader, but he has no clue how to manage a pitching staff. That worries me going forward. He keeps guys in there way too long

It would be encouraging if Travis d'Arnaud can show that he can handle major league pitching by the end of the year

Harvey, at the advice of Dr. James Andrews, will avoid TJS for now. 

I'm actually not a fan, I wish he'd just get it over with. I would hate to see this somehow linger into the 2014 season and THEN have him need it. That would be the huge downside of trying to "strengthen" yourself over getting TJS. The history of pitchers choosing to rehab over having TJS is also not very good.

Of course, Dr. Andrews is Dr. freakin' Andrews, probably the most notable sports-related Dr. around, so his opinion certainly trumps mine. We'll see what happens I guess. 

Edited by nmigliore

I mean I guess I understand the general negativity of people wanting him to have surgery, but if Harvey's feeling better and the doctor believes he doesn't need the surgery then really he's not at any more risk of TJS than any other pitcher who starts a big league game. Which is to say the risk is always going to be there because of the nature of the position, but I think we have to condition ourselves out of believing the risk is worse for Harvey.

Plus now that I actually read up on it, the option still exists to have surgery in a couple months and not jeopardize 2015 if the rehab doesn't show results.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Wish Harvey would just get the TJ surgery...what I really don't like is that he was so dead set on not getting it since the initial diagnosis. Who knows what went on with his consultation with Andrews. I tend to think that Harvey might just be young and foolish here hanging on to any glimmer of hope that doc gives him

Now we'll spend probably all of next year looking at Harvey like a ticking time bomb, and if it does go off then we would have not only put 2014 in jeopardy, but 2015 as well. At least with TJ right now we can say with some certainty that he should be fine for 2015

Seinfeld was really great last night, I mean nowadays everybody has the copycat deadpan delivery and random observations but when he does it just sounds better.

Nice to see them come back and win tonight. It's meaningless, but it really annoyed me to see so many Giants fans in the building (and nobody could find a Giants fan with a roadmap prior to 2010 btw, now they're all over the place in those stupid panda hats...losers) so good to send them home miserable

David Wright, first at bat off the DL with no rehab experience, homers off Cole Hamels. 3-0 Mets.

I love this man. So glad he's going to be a career Met. 

----

20th stolen base for Murphy. He doesn't look it, but he's quietly been one of the best baserunners in the NL this season, rating 6th in Fangraphs' baserunning value measurement, BsR, at +5.3 runs above average. This counts stolen bases and advancing bases in general (Eric Young ranks 1st, by the way, at +9.2, and the Mets have been by far the most efficient baserunning team in the NL this year: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=nl&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=17,d)

Anyway, back on Murphy: his 102 wRC+ entering the night is the same as it was in 2012 and only a few ticks below his career mark of 106. DRS still hates his defense (-10) while UZR has been more forgiving (-2). Add it up and you get a player who will finish the season as a 2-3 win player depending on which defensive metric you trust more, which is an above average regular. It's not all that sexy (not much on-base ability, not much power, slightly below average defense at best), but he does get the job done. He'll be arb-eligible for the second time next season but still figures to be pretty cheap. Barring a trade, no reason why he shouldn't be the team's starting 2B again next year. 

There's a bit of a drop-off after the top six 2B in baseball this year, but Murphy is right there at #8 in fWAR, ahead of guys like Howie Kendrick, Marco Scutaro, Brandon Phillips, Neil Walker, Ian Kinsler. 

Edited by nmigliore

Mets win again, rain-shortened 5-4 victory. It's nice to see some wins but at the same time I really hope they stay within the top 10 of worst records; they really need that protected pick. Wright homered (again), so did Murphy, and d'Arnaud didn't miss one by much.

But anyway, during the rain delay I looking over some prospect stuff on Baseball Prospectus and came across a report filed from Noah Syndergaard's start on 9/12. I can't copy and paste it since it's BP-sub only but the essentials:

Fastball: 96-99, touched 100; late cut, ability to sink; plus command; elite grade (80/80 on the scouting scale).

Curveball: 77-80; hard downward break with depth, throws it for a strike; average command; plus (60) grade, with plus-plus (70) potential. 

Changeup: 87-90; arm speed creates good deception off fastball; fringe-average command; average (50) grade, with plus potential. 

The summary quote (have to post it):

Overall, Syndergaard is a future top-of-the-rotation pitcher with a near elite arsenal. He also has the ideal physical frame for a pitcher. The arsenal is complete with no major weaknesses, and secondary offerings still have room for projection moving forward. The nature of how easy the arm works combined with the ability to manipulate the ball in many fashions makes Syndergaard special. The body is one that can easily log innings and he has three pitches that will be able to miss bats, and will be able to add a slider/cutter into his repertoire when he needs to.

Just stay healthy Noah!!   :pray:

Edited by nmigliore

Nice to see Gee get a W in his house of horrors

This is the Mets 70th win of the season with 8 game to go. Considering some people were predicting losses in the upper 90's (a few thought the Mets would be the worst team in baseball...which was ridiculous) they have already outperformed expectations.

Syndergaard is worth getting excited about as his stuff seems electric...but I'm still trying to temper my enthusiasm. Harvey had the same nice and easy delivery and still got hurt.

Yeah the 100 loss stuff was ridiculous and there wasn't much of a chance they would be worse than the Marlins after their roster decimation last winter. I can't remember my exact win prediction (72? 73?) but it was somewhere in the 70-75 range. They've won 70 so far with 8 left, so it sure seems like that's where they'll finish.

Having a protected pick is starting to worry me though. After their finale with the lowly Phillies today they play 4 of their final 7 against the Brewers, who have won 68 games. They do play the Reds on the road, at least, who should be hungry for wins. Colorado (71 wins), SF (71), Philly (71), Toronto (71), and SD (72) all have a reasonable shot at having a bottom 10 record and could boot the Mets out of the bottom 10 depending on how the final week goes. 

Edited by nmigliore

Wright putting up some numbers in garbage time...what the hell, why not?  At least he fought to come back when it didn't really matter whether he did or not.  I still maintain he's a top complementary hitter, and not the guy you ever make "THE MAN".   

Can't say the idea of Murph coming back next year thrills me, in spite of the decent offensive numbers.  I just wish the guy would learn to how to take walks, but I don't think he ever will.