Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

The Mets have refuted the reports, for what it's worth.

If it does happen, I don't really mind Dice-K as a depth signing, but would be very disappointed if they gave him the #5 job over a healthy Mejia. 

Edited by nmigliore

The Mets have refuted the reports, for what it's worth.

I don't really mind Dice-K as a depth signing but would vehemently hate it if they gave him the #5 job over a healthy Mejia. 

Agree.  If Mets do this, do it for depth, not because that hot streak he went on in garbage time last season has them thinking they might be catching lightning in a bottle.  Let's find out once and for all if Mejia can make through a full MLB season healthy.

Seven Mets going to arbitration, including the Mets' first base tandem of Doofus and Davis:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/arbitration-process-set-to-begin-for-seven-mets-players?ymd=20140114&content_id=66633648&vkey=news_mlb

All interesting names:

Doofus

Davis

Murphy

Gee

Tejada

Parnell

EY

I could be wrong, maybe something's going on behind the scenes, but I'm thinking more and more that Ike and Duda are both going to be here come spring training.  If that's the case, I give Sandy some credit for just not giving Ike away for a bag of balls.  It's a risk...he'll get a raise in arbitration from his current $3.1 million salary, and he could have another god-awful start next season, but I hope he gets one last chance.

Will be very interesting to see what Murphy gets...hell, what ALL of these guys get.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Matt Swartz puts out arbitration estimates which are usually quite accurate. Here is his list of Mets' projections:

Player (Service Time): Arbitration Salary Projection

Daniel Murphy (4.109): $5.8MM
Ike Davis (3.155): $3.5MM
Dillon Gee (3.028): $3.4MM
Bobby Parnell (4.132): $3.2MM
Eric Young, Jr. (3.123): $1.9MM
Lucas Duda (2.132, Super Two): $1.8MM
Scott Atchison (4.168): $1.3MM
Ruben Tejada (2.151, Super Two): $1MM
Omar Quintanilla (4.122): $900K
Justin Turner (3.045): $800K
Mike Baxter (2.129, Super Two): $500K

I'm still not sold that Davis is coming back (I'll believe it when I see him on the Opening Day roster), but like I said, I would have absolutely no problem with it. There is no point of dumping Ike for a fringy back-end starter or relief arm. Both players have options and there is even a scenario, albeit unlikely, in which both players can fit on the roster. You won't be saving anything meaningful in salary, either. Trading Ike Davis certainly won't be the difference in the team signing Stephen Drew or not.
Edited by nmigliore

Ike at $3.5 mil is going to be prohibitive, in terms of hoping to get back anything could really help.  Ike is going to have the most upside of any of the players involved in a trade involving him. 

As far as first base goes, it seems to come down to this:

A guy who could be pretty good but could also be awful (especially at the plate) for $3.5 mil.

A guy who is very likely going to suck (but might get on base a little) at $1.8 mil.

Man this choice never seems to look any better as time passes, lol. 

Since 2013 was supposed to answer questions like this, but for some reason didn't, I'm looking to 2015.  At least by then, one or both of these players will be gone. 

A few arbitration-eligible Mets have settled on contracts (Ike, EY Jr., Tejada), all of which were basically dead-on with what Matt Swartz projected. When it comes to arb settlements with non-star players usually the only thing of interest is multi-year deals that buy out remaining arb years and free agent years but I don't think we'll see that with any Met player. 

Brewers signed Mark Reynolds to a minor league deal but it sounds like he's a lock to make their 25-man roster, which could very well eliminate them as an Ike Davis suitor. 

Val Pascucci is returning to the org as hitting coach for Savannah, which is cool. 

Edited by nmigliore

Doof and Davis are coming back.  Can't see anyone taking a chance on Davis at $3.5 mil (but maybe someone does on Doof at $1.8 mil, though I doubt that too), unless the Mets are basically willing to take nothing for him.  Davis is such a wild-card...he could potentially be a terrific value, if he doesn't suck for the first 10 weeks of the season.  Or he could be a complete black hole.     

Definitely a mixed offseason so far.  Looks like they Mets are now in signing warm bodies mode.  Most frustrating aspect is that there are guys still here that should've been weeded out (here's looking at you, Doofus and Tejada).  It's not as aggravating with Harvey missing 2014, but still aggravating regardless.  Just would be nice to see SOME level of accountability in the Mets' organization, re:  their players.  One of Doofus or Tejada should've been shown the door.

Keeping Duda doesn't bother me. His trade value is likely more limited than Ike, who the Mets can't get rid of; he's not going to be a starter and the outfield project is long over; there's probably as much of a chance he's an answer at 1B as Ike, as much as you may disagree (career numbers, as I've pointed out in the past, are virtually identical); and he won't make much via arbitration. If you're going to go with Ike, it doesn't hurt to have a non-awful insurance plan. Duda may not be any good either, I get it, but at least you wouldn't be plugging in some complete scrub if Ike fell apart again. Outside of a couple guys I liked, the 1B market was awful anyway (and it's totally barren now, as evident to the 1B-desperate Brewers signing Mark Reynolds and had previously considered Michael Young). 

Truthfully, the Pirates are still out there as a team in big need of a LHB 1B to platoon with Gaby Sanchez, so I still wouldn't rule out a trade with them (though it would probably be Ike).

Tejada is more aggravating since he projects as the starting SS, but sadly the options remain limited there as well. You could look to trade for a team with an overflow at SS, like the D-Backs, but we don't know how outlandish their return demands may be. Stephen Drew remains the most logical answer, but I've never been enamored with him, and there is even a fair case against the idea of adding him for a team in our position.

With that said, I'd still personally sign Drew for 2 years, $10-12M per, maybe throw in a 3rd year option based on him staying healthy (plate appearances). I think that's pretty fair given his talent and apparent weak market. 

-----

Mets signed John Lannan to a minor league deal and invited him to spring training yesterday. Same idea that applied to Dice-K applies here; I'm okay with Lannan as a depth move to stash in Las Vegas, but would be irate if he "beat out" Mejia for the 5th starter job. 

Edited by nmigliore

I know part of this is a perfect storm...I think if a cost-effective, better alternative was out there, especially at SS, Sandy would've looked into it.  They don't have the coin to sign/overpay Drew.  

It's more the principle...Tejada and Duda have done nothing to earn yet another chance (though in fairness, neither has Ike, really).  But at least Ike's a good glove.   

Well they have been linked to Drew often, and his market has appeared very weak, so I wouldn't totally rule him out just yet. I also think (hope?) that this front office IS cognizant that Tejada is NOT the answer, but of course they won't say that publicly. 

I don't know if I would say Duda is getting another chance; it's not like he's being handed a starting job like Tejada is. He'll make around $1.5M and either sit on the bench or go to Las Vegas as depth, with the latter being much more likely. 

As lacking as Duda is in versatility, defense, and speed, he could actually be a useful bench player with this current roster. The starting outfield won't need to be replaced for defense so you could run with Duda, Brown, Satin, EY Jr., and a backup catcher. The sacrifice is you don't have an emergency SS for a game (how often is that even needed?), but that's a nice blend of RHB/LHB bat/power, some speed, and some versatility. This probably wouldn't happen, though; if both 1B are in this organization come Opening Day, I'd bet on Duda packing for Las Vegas instead of a bench role, which is why I don't see it as him getting another chance (at least not with how things project as of January 19th).

Edited by nmigliore

It'd be hard to complain about Drew coming aboard. 

I'd rather Duda was gone, but I could live with him as a power guy off the bench or as AAA depth.  I don't want to hear his name as the Mets' potential everyday first baseman...it should be Ike's job to lose (and I don't kid myself...Ike might very well do that before the end of spring training).  Chances are first base is going to be a rough position to watch. 

Ike Davis' dad taking the Mets to task on how he thinks they handled the potential trading of his son:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/80626/ikes-dad-mets-screwed-up-being-so-public?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Fine to stick up for your kid, but Ron Davis is definitely not seeing the whole picture here.  Ike had about as bad a first 2+ months to start a season as it gets...TWICE (Ron seems to think it was only once).  We're not talking "slow start" kind of bad...we're talking "one of the worst, if not THE worst everyday player" bad.  The team was patient with him the first time, and eventually it paid off, but the second time it was clearly a case of "enough already!"  A lot of people thought Ike should've been sent down earlier than he was...Sandy was probably too forgiving the second time. 

Sorry to break it you Ron, but the main reason your kid is still a Met is because no one wants him, because no one can figure him out.  The last two years show that no one should have any idea what to expect from Ike...the one thing he had going for him in 2012 was his power, and that was diminished last season.  But what the hell is he now?  Overmatched at the plate and an easy K?  Dave Kingman, a guy who can hit massive home runs when he's not striking out?  A guy who gets on base, but mostly to first when he does?  No one even knows what kind of a player he is anymore. 

Basically, there's plenty of reasons to pick on the Mets, but Ike hasn't helped his cause one bit, with anyone.  I'd be wary as hell of him too, if I was a potential suitor. 

Duda signed for $1.6 million.  In a perfect world, Ike and Duda would probably not be here, and the Mets would have a new, $8-10 million pretty good player at first, but instead, it's $5.1 million for Davis and Doofus.   

Curious to see if Sandy kicks the tires on Drew.  Drew has missed a boatload of games the past few seasons, and his numbers really aren't all that special.  This is one case where I can understand Sandy not wanting to go more than a year or two.

Still, it's amazing that Ike, Doofus, AND Tejada are ALL still here, and likely a part of the 2014 team.  I know some of that is just circumstances (lack of appreciably better options, etc.)...but this is the kind of sh!t that just seems to happen to the Mets.  I can live with it (what choice do I have?), as long as Sandy doesn't start trying to sell their virtues to us.   

Grant Balfour signed with the Rays for 2/12. Supposedly the Mets made a very similar offer and Balfour claimed he left money on the table to reunite with Joe Maddon and Co, meaning it's possible the Mets even topped that offer to land him. Damn. Hard to blame the guy -- Florida weather is great, plenty of familiarity with Rays' organization, they project to be good while we don't -- but man, that's disappointing to hear. I'm not crazy for adding big-name relievers but the relief market has been adjusting more in line to what relievers are actually worth, and Balfour for 2/12 is a good deal, and unfortunately the bullpen looks pretty awful behind Parnell, who is coming off neck surgery.

Edited by nmigliore

Supposedly, Mets did offer more.  Unfortunately, when they've been sucking as long as they have, sometimes a little extra coin isn't enough.  If they make progress next season, maybe more guys want to come here next offseason. 

Boomer and Carton said the Yankees might actually go after Drew now.

Supposedly, Mets did offer more.  Unfortunately, when they've been sucking as long as they have, sometimes a little extra coin isn't enough.  If they make progress next season, maybe more guys want to come here next offseason. 

Boomer and Carton said the Yankees might actually go after Drew now.

I can't see this as serious.  I've read the same on MLBTR and also the refute where it says the Yankees are done with big spending.

If he comes down to a 1 year prove-it deal then maybe I can see the Yankees inquiring, but I doubt he comes down to that level.

Odd career for Rodney...his 2012 was so far above and beyond any of his other seasons.  He's also 36 years old.  Usually walks a lot of guys too (including last year). 

Does whiff a lot of guys though.  Seems like he's a guy who can be maddening in some outings, terrific in others.

37 at the start of the season. 

eh...as a set up guy who can close in case something happens to Parnell, I wouldn't be against it. 

He doesn't allow long balls. That I like. 4 hr in his last 140 innings

Edited by '7'

Mets resigned Dice-K to a minor league deal.

I'm a fan of the starting depth but please, Mejia HAS to be the #5 if healthy. 

Agree completely, but can't help but wonder what they'd do if Dice K pitched like he did at the end of last year, and Mejia had a lousy spring.

BTW I'm not saying I would be in favor of DK getting that spot...great for DK that he pitched well enough is his last four starts to get another minor league deal from the Mets, but I don't kid myself that he'd represent any kind of a long-term solution.  I'd prefer for Mejia to be in there unless his spring outings are so terrible that it looks like he won't get anyone out.