Who can be this year's Neal Broten?

njbuff

Probably won't happen, but it is worth a shot in the dark:

Anaheim will probably have to trade 1/2 of their 3 superstars. If we can get one of Getzlaf/Perry/Ryan, I would not mind. The only question is what would we be giving up. I would not want to trade Ja Jo, but if we can ship one of our D-men, a defensive prospect probably, and a second or something like that, I would not mind.

But Iginla is probably the most likely to be traded. He's a very good veteran presence, and can teach some of the youngsters some good leadership skills, and could be nice to have next to Zajac and Kovy as a RW

Probably won't happen, but it is worth a shot in the dark:

Anaheim will probably have to trade 1/2 of their 3 superstars. If we can get one of Getzlaf/Perry/Ryan, I would not mind. The only question is what would we be giving up. I would not want to trade Ja Jo, but if we can ship one of our D-men, a defensive prospect probably, and a second or something like that, I would not mind.

But Iginla is probably the most likely to be traded. He's a very good veteran presence, and can teach some of the youngsters some good leadership skills, and could be nice to have next to Zajac and Kovy as a RW

Why would Anaheim be trading anyone when Boudreau's got them off to a hot start and they could well be a playoff team?  You have to be looking at teams that are going to be out of it.  Hard to say who's really going to be out of it now with a couple of exceptions.

Devils' problem is the lack of a first round pick in one of the next two years. Especially given how deep this draft is suposed to be, you don't want two years in a row without a first rounder unless the return is very good.

Not to mention they're already out a third (Zidlicky) and a fifth (Loikotonov) this year.

I think iginla is plausible. Would fit in real well with this teams system, and I don't think the flames can ask for a ton in return. I don't think iginla is staying in Calgary and he's not in his prime anymore. More importantly the devils really only have a 2 year window here to win a cup. Brodeur nearing retirement and Elias getting up there in age are two big factors. I think Lou knows this and would be fairly aggressive to put this team over the edge.

I don't think the Devils will get anyone at the deadline, as things are now.  The thing they need - a left wing - isn't really all that available.  They shouldn't need any defense. 

Is it just me, or is the idea of a left wing, right wing, center seem completely antiquated? Seems to me there are forwards (wingers) and forwards that are good on faceoffs (centers who can also play on the wing).

Iginla seems like a logical rental type (winger). Don't know if the Devils have the chips for Ryan O'Reilly.

If the Caps stay where they are Chimera would be a possibility.

Meh.  I guess, but I'd be looking for something that would knock Zubrus on to the 3rd line.

Is it just me, or is the idea of a left wing, right wing, center seem completely antiquated? Seems to me there are forwards (wingers) and forwards that are good on faceoffs (centers who can also play on the wing).

Iginla seems like a logical rental type (winger). Don't know if the Devils have the chips for Ryan O'Reilly.

It is just you.  Look at the Devils - as constituted, they have no players playing on their off-wing. Last year, they had one guy playing there regularly (Zubrus).  The Devils need a left-handed shot for the Kovalchuk line (as constituted), and if he's a guy who's played exclusively on his off-wing, I don't think the Devils would look to acquire him.  I don't think the Devils will be looking to acquire any right handed shots unless it were a guy like Chad Larose.

Edited by Triumph

The Devils are not getting Iginla. They don't have the picks or prospects to make it work, plus Iginla is going to be the biggest deadline commodity in a long time if he going to be dealt.. The Flames don't even know what they are doing. They clearly don't believe in a rebuild, and have been a treadmill non-playoff team for a long-time like the Leafs. If management finally decides to deal Iginla (years to late), they are going to want a sh!tload for him. And they probably can get one desperate team to trade a 1st round pick, top prospect and more.

Meh.  I guess, but I'd be looking for something that would knock Zubrus on to the 3rd line.

You could get Chimera for a 3rd or higher. Plus his cap hit is very low. He's a speedy LW that could pay off on the second or third line. I think LaRose is too integral to the Canes for them to not try and re-sign him.

You could get Chimera for a 3rd or higher. Plus his cap hit is very low. He's a speedy LW that could pay off on the second or third line. I think LaRose is too integral to the Canes for them to not try and re-sign him. The southeast is wide open and the Canes definitely have a shot at division lead.

I don't know how to use a computer.

Chimera is a shoot first sort of player, doesn't really work with offensively-gifted players when all he's looking to do is come into the zone with speed and blast it on net.

Larose is only playing 12 minutes a game for Carolina right now.  But I also think Carolina's pretty decent and won't be moving people at the deadline.

I think iginla is plausible. Would fit in real well with this teams system, and I don't think the flames can ask for a ton in return. I don't think iginla is staying in Calgary and he's not in his prime anymore. More importantly the devils really only have a 2 year window here to win a cup. Brodeur nearing retirement and Elias getting up there in age are two big factors. I think Lou knows this and would be fairly aggressive to put this team over the edge.

I would LOVE Iginla, but I just don't see it. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved his game and have always wanted him in a Devils sweater, but given his current salary, age, and potential cost to acquire (not to mention other potential factors) I'm just not sure how I could envision seeing him in New Jersey. Otoh, the one way I could see this is if the folks in Calgary decide that they wanted to give Iginla a solid chance at a cup before he calls it quits. It happens, tho not much. In that event they might not ask very much and I could see the Devs being a target for where they'd want to send him.

Of course, given the history Lou has had with mid season veteran help, the odds aren't good that even if we got him he would help much. Ah, if only we had him years ago.... Damn that would've been nice.