Grades - 1st Quarter of Season

TomsRiverDevil

Marty A-

Kovy-B+ scored some big goals but also a bit too streaky

Greene-A. After a shaky start he's played some of the best hockey of his career

Clarkson-A+++ Please stay a Devil, Clarky, we over you

Moose-A+. Best backup in the league, outstanding play from him

Bernier-B-probably the best member of the CBGB line which is weird considering I saw him as kind of the least dynamic of the three

Henrique-A. Small sample size but he's had an immediate impact nice being in the lineup. The whole Henrique line gets an A from me

Some of the uglier grades would have to be Sal,Volchenkov,Zajac is sort of hanging in that gray area but I'm not ready to throw him under the bus yet. And that's basically it for me, I probably look like a real homer, but what holes can we have seen in a first place team with 1 regulation loss?

Marty A-

Kovy-B+ scored some big goals but also a bit too streaky

Greene-A. After a shaky start he's played some of the best hockey of his career

Clarkson-A+++ Please stay a Devil, Clarky, we over you

Moose-A+. Best backup in the league, outstanding play from him

Bernier-B-probably the best member of the CBGB line which is weird considering I saw him as kind of the least dynamic of the three

Henrique-A. Small sample size but he's had an immediate impact nice being in the lineup. The whole Henrique line gets an A from me

Some of the uglier grades would have to be Sal,Volchenkov,Zajac is sort of hanging in that gray area but I'm not ready to throw him under the bus yet. And that's basically it for me, I probably look like a real homer, but what holes can we have seen in a first place team with 1 regulation loss?

That's Kovy and a lot of other snipers...streaky.  Sometimes they're locked in, sometimes they're struggling with their shot or confidence. 

Yeah, I think if we had said, "Kovy will have scored 4 goals and Zajac will have just 3 points through 12 games, but the Devils will go 8-1-3," others would have answered, "Huh?!"  Clarkson is truly the mind-blower here...who didn't think last year's 30 goals didn't reek of a fluke (especially since it felt like Clarkson got every possible conceivable bounce).  It's funny, before the lockout, I think many of us thought, if Clarky can put in 20-25 goals a year going forward, we'll take it!  Well, it looks like he might very well do that...he's just going to need only 48 games or so to do it! 

That's Kovy and a lot of other snipers...streaky.  Sometimes they're locked in, sometimes they're struggling with their shot or confidence. 

Yeah, I think if we had said, "Kovy will have scored 4 goals and Zajac will have just 3 points through 12 games, but the Devils will go 8-1-3," others would have answered, "Huh?!"  Clarkson is truly the mind-blower here...who didn't think last year's 30 goals didn't reek of a fluke (especially since it felt like Clarkson got every possible conceivable bounce).  It's funny, before the lockout, I think many of us thought, if Clarky can put in 20-25 goals a year going forward, we'll take it!  Well, it looks like he might very well do that...he's just going to need only 48 games or so to do it! 

Good players are in the right place at the right time. Clarky works his arse off in games and deserves the goals he's getting at the moment.

I agree with Bernier from cgb6397 too, he's having a great season.

I've gotta say though, as soon as the puck goes anywhere near Salvador or Volchenkov, I always get a bit tense about what is going to happen. They just seem to make some silly mistake or poor play which leads to a chance for the opposition.

All in all...well pleased with our form and the look of the team too, DeBoer is doing a fantastic job.

Hey, let's look at it this way. Teams are working so hard in preparing for Zajac and Kovalchuk, that guys like Clarkson and Henrique and CBGB are never part of the game plan.

You can see in the past few games, especially against Pittsburgh. Their D-men are so well-positioned to cut off Kovalchuk's chances that guys like Bernier and Clarkson were given free reign in front of Fleury to do whatever they wanted!! The only time I saw a Penguin knock Clarkson out of the crease was after he scored that power play goal on Sunday, but the puck was already in the net. They're so focused on what Kovalchuk's about to do, it's kind of understandable why Kovy's low on points and Clarkson's not.

Hey, let's look at it this way. Teams are working so hard in preparing for Zajac and Kovalchuk, that guys like Clarkson and Henrique and CBGB are never part of the game plan.

You can see in the past few games, especially against Pittsburgh. Their D-men are so well-positioned to cut off Kovalchuk's chances that guys like Bernier and Clarkson were given free reign in front of Fleury to do whatever they wanted!! The only time I saw a Penguin knock Clarkson out of the crease was after he scored that power play goal on Sunday, but the puck was already in the net. They're so focused on what Kovalchuk's about to do, it's kind of understandable why Kovy's low on points and Clarkson's not.

10 points in 12 GP is really not so low. 

Has Zajac allowed any 5 vs 5 goals against this year?

Without doing in-depth research I think it's likely he has been on the ice for a few. Looking at his game log he has no games where he has been a minus, which is pretty awesome. But considering he is a +5 and has 2 goals, for him to not have been on the ice for any goals against would also mean he was on the ice for only 3 other goals scored for the Devils(that he didn't), which is not so awesome.

Without doing in-depth research I think it's likely he has been on the ice for a few. Looking at his game log he has no games where he has been a minus, which is pretty awesome. But considering he is a +5 and has 2 goals, for him to not have been on the ice for any goals against would also mean he was on the ice for only 3 other goals scored for the Devils(that he didn't), which is not so awesome.

Nope.  Hasn't been on ice for a goal yet at 5 on 5 anyway, SV% of 1000

Nope.  Hasn't been on ice for a goal yet at 5 on 5 anyway, SV% of 1000

Yep, you are correct, I spoke too soon. My curiosity got the better of me, just finished looking at NHL.com's game summary. From what they have, he has only been on the ice for 2 PP ga all year. Both came in 5-4 OT loss to the Islanders.

So that puts him at:

+8 power play +'s, +5 even strength +'s, +1 short handed +

vs

-2 power kill -'s against

--- if anyone wants to spot check me ---

2/10: +1 pp

2/9: +1 ev

2/7: +1 sh, +2 pp

2/5: +1 pp

2/3: 0

2/2: 0

1/31: +1 ev, -2 pp