wondering if anyone knew why the Devils opener was blacked out

GIANTS79

with this Flyers game coming up, this makes me think of the home opener.  So far that was the only game I was not able to get on tv.  I live in NJ and have DirecTV and they blacked out the Devils/Flyers game.  I was wondering if anyone out there knew what happened and if they know it will continue or not?  The devils/Pens game on Sunday I did get on the NBCSports Network (and they have a few more games scheduled on there this year), but that first flyers game was blacked out without having it on MSG.  Hopefully that will be the only one this year.

Her is the deal. Comcast owns NBC (NBC Sports Network) and Comcast owns the flyers. 

Sometime NBCSN has exclusive rights to the game, where neither team has their regional feed (like MSG or CSN*). 

Other times NBCSN has national rights, where MSG and CSN* broadcast their feeds in market and NBCSN does all the other markets.

There is also telecasting scenarios but not relevent.

It seems that the flyers were on CSN on their local market and NBCSN had the devils market and the national markets. I know FIOS had the game on NBCSN in market and I know TWC in North Carolina had the game also on NBCSN. 

The kicker is if you have direct TV I am not sure how markets are laid out, so if your in the devils market the game "should" of been on NBCSN and if you were in the flyers market the game "should" of been on CSN.

I might be 100% wrong but that is my understanding

*CSN is comcast sports network, and is the flyers home channel

You make some great points, thanks for sharing.  I do live in a Devils market, I think they just dropped the ball on that one.  I contacted the Devils about it and they said they had nothing to do with it and didn't give much of answer.  Hopefully it was just a one time mistake.  they have one more flyers game on that channel later in the year.  and you are right, cable did get the game.

answer. 

Her is the deal. Comcast owns NBC (NBC Sports Network) and Comcast owns the flyers. 

Sometime NBCSN has exclusive rights to the game, where neither team has their regional feed (like MSG or CSN*). 

Other times NBCSN has national rights, where MSG and CSN* broadcast their feeds in market and NBCSN does all the other markets.

There is also telecasting scenarios but not relevent.

It seems that the flyers were on CSN on their local market and NBCSN had the devils market and the national markets. I know FIOS had the game on NBCSN in market and I know TWC in North Carolina had the game also on NBCSN. 

The kicker is if you have direct TV I am not sure how markets are laid out, so if your in the devils market the game "should" of been on NBCSN and if you were in the flyers market the game "should" of been on CSN.

I might be 100% wrong but that is my understanding

*CSN is comcast sports network, and is the flyers home channel