JJ

Bartholomew Hunt

JJ does a lot of things well but he does have hands of stone.  At this point it is about who has a greater upside in the grand scheme of things.  JJ can't score for his life, but he does have his usefulness on the PK and is far more defensively sound than Teddy.  Teddy is fast and have some moves, but he seems lost out there most times and both PDB and Lemaire have questioned his commitment to defense.

Therefore in the grand scheme of things I'd rather have JJ on the team now than Teddy.

Pesonally Id rather have matteau play and JJ scratched. But i think if teddy keeps learning the system in albany (which i have to assume they teach the same system them) he could develop into a better player than JJ because teddy has the offensive talent that JJ doesnt. Well i shouldnt say the talent that JJ doesnt have, i just see that teddy has way MORE offensive talent than jj, jj has an offensive upside too

JJ plays on the fourth line with Barch and youre critical of how many points he has? Arent you the same person who said Larsson should be traded

Yeah because he doesnt even creat chances. and no im actually not lol

I'll bite I guess. The difference between JJ and teddy is that JJ is not a liability on the ice. the devils have JJ taking big defensive draws, killing penalties, and basically being the glue to hold that pretty weak 4th line together. Tedenby's defensive game is so bad it's laughable. When he gets in the defensive Zone he's just completely lost. The only way Tedenby can stay on ANY NHL team is if he can produce at some kind of rate that will offset his horrendous defensive play and he just can't do that. He's had his chance at the NHL level AND the AHL level and he couldn't sustain a reasonable production rate at either level. Furthermore he could do jack sh!t playing with top players. And yes Tedenbys hockey sense is awful. Like I said he has no idea what's going on in the defensive zone, and can't read the play accordingly which ultimately ends up in glorious scoring opportunities for the opposing team. Hockey sense is not "oh our team just got the puck I'm not going to skate up the middle of the ice and hope a teammate gives me a stretch pass."

Bottom line: both players have different skills, difference is that JJ's skills will keep him on a NHL team even if he does produce. Tedenby lacks way to much to stay on any NHL.

• Like 4

Pesonally Id rather have matteau play and JJ scratched. But i think if teddy keeps learning the system in albany (which i have to assume they teach the same system them) he could develop into a better player than JJ because teddy has the offensive talent that JJ doesnt. Well i shouldnt say the talent that JJ doesnt have, i just see that teddy has way MORE offensive talent than jj, jj has an offensive upside too

The Devils have always had a system where even their scorers have to be defensibly responsible.  Even Kovy took this this at the expense of some of his numbers.  Teddy just for some reason is just not getting that part of the game or does not want to.  The way the coaches look at it, when Teddy is on the ice he might score, but there is also a good chance another team will score against us.  At least with JJ while he might not score, we know he will be responsible in his own end and prevent goals from going against us.

It really all comes down to versitility and while Teddy may have more raw talent, JJ is more flexible.

I'll bite I guess. The difference between JJ and teddy is that JJ is not a liability on the ice. the devils have JJ taking big defensive draws, killing penalties, and basically being the glue to hold that pretty weak 4th line together. Tedenby's defensive game is so bad it's laughable. When he gets in the defensive Zone he's just completely lost. The only way Tedenby can stay on ANY NHL team is if he can produce at some kind of rate that will offset his horrendous defensive play and he just can't do that. He's had his chance at the NHL level AND the AHL level and he couldn't sustain a reasonable production rate at either level. Furthermore he could do jack sh!t playing with top players. And yes Tedenbys hockey sense is awful. Like I said he has no idea what's going on in the defensive zone, and can't read the play accordingly which ultimately ends up in glorious scoring opportunities for the opposing team. Hockey sense is not "oh our team just got the puck I'm not going to skate up the middle of the ice and hope a teammate gives me a stretch pass."

Bottom line: both players have different skills, difference is that JJ's skills will keep him on a NHL team even if he doesnt produce. Tedenby lacks way to much to stay on any NHL.

Ding ding ding. :clap2:

Edited by Zubie#8

I started a topic to point out JJ is producing just as little as teddy did. I did it to debate, now when someone like ATL goes and acts like a 3rd grader it becomes an arguement which seems to happen alot on here with certain people who are childish.

Ugh, not for nothing... You have 105 posts, you shouldn't even be allowed to start a topic til you hit 1000.  Back to JJ, he's young, really young.  So is tedenby, but if you think JJ won't be better than Tedenby in the future, you are wrong. JJ can play on any line, can play the pk, power play, can take crucial faceoffs, and can backcheck.  He is your prototypical devils player.  What can josefson not do? AT THE MOMENT, and i say atm, cause he's still so young, he can't shoot the puck and can't put up points.  However, Tedenby's job is to put up points as a top 6 forward and he can't do that, plus he is a HUGE defensive liability.  Therefore, ill take my chances with jj getting better offensively and providing all the intangibles that  a devils player needs than Tedenby actually learning how to score and play defense.  (and yes i know i only have like 30 posts but i dont start arguments with people ridiculously above me in posts)

Exactly. JJ, even if he never finds his hands, will be a useful player, Teddy if he can't crack a top 6, has no chance.

My input sucks, but I'm right. Glad you have a great grasp of the language.

I was talking about your first comment kiddo.

And everyone talking about JJ being better defensively, i already said that. Multiple times. My point is josesfson is playing like a solid 4th line player at BEST if not a healthy scratch. I dont see him producing like a 3rd yr player should and everyone who rips teddy should be ripping JJ just the same. Both players have their upsides and need to develop more and on their all around game. JJ is better defensively, Teds is better offensively. Btw in teddys 4 games this year he made very few mistakes and bad reads defensively if you watched him.

I was talking about your first comment kiddo.

And everyone talking about JJ being better defensively, i already said that. Multiple times. My point is josesfson is playing like a solid 4th line player at BEST if not a healthy scratch. I dont see him producing like a 3rd yr player should and everyone who rips teddy should be ripping JJ just the same. Both players have their upsides and need to develop more and on their all around game. JJ is better defensively, Teds is better offensively. Btw in teddys 4 games this year he made very few mistakes and bad reads defensively if you watched him.

You do realize Teddys first season was three years ago. He put up some good numbers but he was still getting benched throughout those games for poor defensive play. For the last three seasons he has been going downhill while Josefson has been consistent and has not been a liability in those same three seasons.

Edited by Zubie#8
  • Like 1

Ugh, not for nothing... You have 105 posts, you shouldn't even be allowed to start a topic til you hit 1000.  Back to JJ, he's young, really young.  So is tedenby, but if you think JJ won't be better than Tedenby in the future, you are wrong. JJ can play on any line, can play the pk, power play, can take crucial faceoffs, and can backcheck.  He is your prototypical devils player.  What can josefson not do? AT THE MOMENT, and i say atm, cause he's still so young, he can't shoot the puck and can't put up points.  However, Tedenby's job is to put up points as a top 6 forward and he can't do that, plus he is a HUGE defensive liability.  Therefore, ill take my chances with jj getting better offensively and providing all the intangibles that  a devils player needs than Tedenby actually learning how to score and play defense.  (and yes i know i only have like 30 posts but i dont start arguments with people ridiculously above me in posts)

Im sorry i just found the website recently, i am not worthy i apologize buddy. My points been made, JJ isnt doing anything to develop so if you wanna put teddy on the bust rack, make room for JJ. You dont draft first rounders to be an ok 4th liner in their 3rd yr with the team. Hopefully he starts to come along though.

Im sorry i just found the website recently, i am not worthy i apologize buddy. My points been made, JJ isnt doing anything to develop so if you wanna put teddy on the bust rack, make room for JJ. You dont draft first rounders to be an ok 4th liner in their 3rd yr with the team. Hopefully he starts to come along though.

You would make a terrible GM lol

Edited by RangersSuck23
  • Like 1

Offensively speaking Tedenby and Josefson are not that far off in their limited time with the Devils. Josefson has 20 points in 82 games while Teddy has 29 pts in 105 games. Another similarity is both players get a lot of chances but do not finish. Josefson has had many oppurtunites this season alone to get some goals but he didn't finish. So Teddy's offense is not leaps and bounds ahead of Josefson at the moment. In the same time Josefson is a +9 while Tedenby is a -12. Offense and 'skill' isn't everything.

Bottom line is Josefson can play on any line, any situation, and is consistent.

Tedenby has offensive potential but cant harness it, needs to work on his defensive responsibilities, cannot play in all situations, and is inconsistent.

And this is why Josefson has a roster spot and why Tedenby struggles in Albany.

Edited by Zubie#8

Magically? If you think coaches are wizards than more power to you too sir

Considering the smack the Devils fanbase was talking about the play of guys like Clarkson and Kovalchuk only a few years ago, I'd say coaching makes all the difference. Ask Clarkie and Bernier, another "bust".

Josefson has probably played more minutes this season with Kovalchuk than Tedenby has, if we're still comparing the two.

And he posted points and got scoring chances when playing with him.

Bergfors? JJ, Teddy? You're not the least bit regretful?

Bergfors, Teddy - not so great

JJ & Larsson - great picks

Edited by devlman

Barth, did you intentionally start a topic you knew almost no one would agree with you on, just for the sake of arguing? Pretty much seems the case

I mean it's not that outlandish to suggest JJ is going to wind up as a disappointment, at least offensively. Thing is, the op was pretty antagonistic with the point (basically that we're fools since we're arguing Teddy will never make it so why aren't we then ragging on JJ the same way?).

Clearly the op likes flashy players. Clearly the staff (given Teddy's icetime compared to JJ) knows there's more to the game than looking flashy. I guess the fans and the staff are all dumb though.

I mean it's not that outlandish to suggest JJ is going to wind up as a disappointment, at least offensively. Thing is, the op was pretty antagonistic with the point (basically that we're fools since we're arguing Teddy will never make it so why aren't we then ragging on JJ the same way?).

Clearly the op likes flashy players. Clearly the staff (given Teddy's icetime compared to JJ) knows there's more to the game than looking flashy. I guess the fans and the staff are all dumb though.

It's so obvious that even if JJ can't score his entire career, he'd still have a career in the NHL. If he literally averaged 20 points over the next ten seasons, he's still be worthy of a 3C role. If JJ can find the hands to put up 40+, he'll crack the top 6 here or somewhere else. The problem with Teddy is that unless he can score 20-25 goals, he's useless in the NHL.

Josefson has 1 point this season, how does that constitute posting points with them?

Im pretty sure his lone assist was on the best play he made all yr against boston shorthanded and the puck luckily got kicked to gionta.

If you want to see 'disappointment', you should see what the rest of the 2009 draft looks like.  'Cause besides Ryan O'Reilly, I'm having a hard time seeing players definitely better than JJ being drafted after him.

Yeah i said before that the 2009 draft might have been the worst draft ever. And JJ is looking to be part of it.

If you want to see 'disappointment', you should see what the rest of the 2009 draft looks like. 'Cause besides Ryan O'Reilly, I'm having a hard time seeing players definitely better than JJ being drafted after him.

That's also part of why people get on Teddy, the fact we passed on Carlson the Jersey boy for him. Not that Teddy doesn't deserve grief anyway, but he had a strike against him from the hop with a lot of people.

That's also part of why people get on Teddy, the fact we passed on Carlson the Jersey boy for him. Not that Teddy doesn't deserve grief anyway, but he had a strike against him from the hop with a lot of people.

Also, had we not traded down the first time, we could've had Eberle over Teds as well. Could you imagine? Though, I'm pretty sure that trade-down also got us the pick we used for Cormier, who was then used to get Kovy, so I guess I can't complain too much.