GDT 2/16/13: NJ Devils @ NY Islanders

NJDEVS1730

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things I took away from this game:

- Barch is useless. I'm sorry, he's just useless. He's better than a lot of other enforcers we've had, but that doesn't make him worthwhile at all. He should play in Flyers and Rangers games and that's about it. But if they're determined to start him then...

- Josefson should sit and Loktionov should get a shot. Josefson has one point, an assist where the other team's defenseman made the pass for him. Can't hurt to try out someone else, especially since the PK has struggled lately anyway.

- Tallinder should never see another shift. He was bad all night. When he plays, he ends up on a pairing with Zids and Volch/Sal ends up as a pairing giving us two pairings that just don't work. Volch and Sal can be hidden when split up, but when they're together it's just bad news.

- Fayne should never sit unless he's hurt.

- That Salvador contract looks worse every day. He's a horrible captain and one of the weakest defensemen on the team.

That being said, this is obviously still a good team who is doing a lot more good than bad on almost a nightly basis. But there is definitely still room for improvement. Hopefully they use tonight as a wake-up call to realize they can't win just by showing up because they looked BAD tonight.

Edited by PWW

I'd say the fact that we're 1st in the Conference and all our wins feature only 1 or 2 goals from the opposing team, they must be doing something right. They had a bad night.

First in the conference is WHY WE SUCK.  I HATE FIRST IN THE CONFERENCE BECAUSE a$$holES GET TO TROT IT OUT RUN IT UP THE FLAG POLE AND SALUTE THE fvckER WHILE SOMEONE ELSE SKATES OFF WITH THE CUP!  GET A CLUE!  :rant:  :rant:  just do NOT go there on me.  I hate few positions more.

I type the truth.  Our defence sucks.  it's serviceable AT BEST.  It's a scrap heap - and you've got to be fvcking Macgyver to make it work on a regular basis.  It woudl be nice if it was fvcking EASY one damned game.

I don't think our defense sucks at all, I just think the choice of pairings tonight was incredibly bad. Tallinder and Zids play no defense. Volchenkov and Salvador are both slow and can't break out to save their lives. Why they didn't try Sal/Tallinder and Volch/Zids or vice versa I'll never know. However, I do know that Sal and A-Train should never be out there at the same time on a regular basis.

This was probably said somewhere, but i don't feel like reading right now.  Tallinder needs to be traded cause he was just scary to watch and Fayne is too valuable to be a healthy scratch. Also, i felt like in the 2nd and 3rd we had very little time in their zone. Overall, poor performance, but we'll rebound next game

100% positive it was Zach. It was late in the game and kovy wasn't consistently killing penalties yet.

kovalchuk killed penalties all of last year.  parise scored a shorthanded goal in the 2010 playoffs, pretty sure he's been used plenty on the PK by NJ before.

edit:  guess not, he played some on the PK in earlier seasons but certainly not regularly

Edited by Triumph

I have a solution to taking Sal out of the game without benching him: Let him dress, get ready to play and then let him hang out in the locker room.

"Sal -- just real quick before we head out there -- I've got this granny knot in my jock - can you untie this for me? Just come on out when you're done"  "sure man - I've got some a tweezers and a little soapy water --  it'll be out if a jiff!"

It's just so frustrating.  How can guys spend entire careers on the cusp like that?  How do you backslide so hard - and show no sign of coming out of it?  I hope it's oh me of little faith -- I do.

and sure its not so bad -- but I've got the freaking flu -- come on - just ONE solid turn...  I don't care about the loss it's the bad hockey I hate.  I just hate it -- it's ... whatever.

I don't think our defense sucks at all, I just think the choice of pairings tonight was incredibly bad. Tallinder and Zids play no defense. Volchenkov and Salvador are both slow and can't break out to save their lives. Why they didn't try Sal/Tallinder and Volch/Zids or vice versa I'll never know. However, I do know that Sal and A-Train should never be out there at the same time on a regular basis.

Well Clearly we agree Greene and Larsson are the least of our problems :)

First in the conference is WHY WE SUCK.  I HATE FIRST IN THE CONFERENCE BECAUSE a$$holES GET TO TROT IT OUT RUN IT UP THE FLAG POLE AND SALUTE THE fvckER WHILE SOMEONE ELSE SKATES OFF WITH THE CUP!  GET A CLUE!  :rant:  :rant:  just do NOT go there on me.  I hate few positions more.

I type the truth.  Our defence sucks.  it's serviceable AT BEST.  It's a scrap heap - and you've got to be fvcking Macgyver to make it work on a regular basis.  It woudl be nice if it was fvcking EASY one damned game.

Not using our position in the conference as an end-all and be-all, and clearly you missed the second part of my last comment. Our record, and the fact that most of our record is made up of 2-1, 3-1 wins means our goaltenders and defense are doing a pretty good job. We're not blowing teams out 7-4 or 5-1 every night. I wouldn't be TOO critical of the d-men when we've been able to close up shop and play stingy defense way more instances than we haven't.

Edited by DJ Eco

There are a few teams with injured D men all of a sudden, Lou could work a deal now

We keep saying that but I don't think Lou's interested in doing a deal until the last minute possible.  Which is problematic in a number of ways, there could be an injury by then that prevents a deal.  We could wear down our top forwards overplaying them before the deadline.

And it's not really fair to Tallinder or whoever else happens to be sitting (tonight Fayne) because of the fact we have to have stupid depth on D and no depth up front.