Canadian Anthem/ Chants

Zubie#8

Not sure if this is directed at me since i do start the chant from time to time but if you want to go back to those dead quiet days, please send a letter to the devils organization since they went out of their way to support how much passion we bring to each game from the days of missing the playoffs when none of the clowns in any section made a peep. We formed to take the matter to our own hands and start the crowd up much like a fight and all the players have nothing but positive things to say about what they feel.

It was quiet that year because the devils had their worst season in about 20 years.

Plus the devils organization management to squeeze out most of the original people in that section when they decided to make it season ticket holders only so I doubt a letter will help.

No I was not directing it specifically at you and even others are agreeing with me here.

The point is, they started the magical run for the comeback after we cared enough to make some noise and they commented on how the crowd was louder and they were doing so much better knowing we cared. We were not that far from playoffs that year, don't forget. So minus an a$$hole coach that ruined a year, it was a great year for turning the arena to a place with a presence. 

The point is, they started the magical run for the comeback after we cared enough to make some noise and they commented on how the crowd was louder and they were doing so much better knowing we cared. We were not that far from playoffs that year, don't forget. So minus an a$$hole coach that ruined a year, it was a great year for turning the arena to a place with a presence. 

That was my second favorite year to be a season ticket holder. It was just a hell of a roller coaster ride.

A hostile arena is a loud arena. Having a reputation as being a place that gives you hell if you come in wearing another team's jersey means less non-Devils fans which then means more fans working together to make it as loud as possible for OUR team. I can't see how this is a bad thing.

No no no, no one is saying that. I love a loud arena, the loudest chants are not these silly chants. We have been louder in terms of cheering the team after a great shift, or a huge PK. We are now chanting players names after they scored or made a big play or save. I use to remember I was the only one clapping for an icing, now its a solid applause for icings. The Kill chant is great for the PK and we are getting the team going with many well timed Lets Go Devils chants. We are indeed louder and much more into the game but its not because of these stupid chants.

Many Devils fans are being offended as well. Always remember that.

Agree with the well-timed "Let's Go Devils!" chants. It seems like such a small thing, but in past years, we weren't so quick to get a big "Let's Go Devils!" chant going right after an opposing team's goal. I've noticed this season that the arena gets it going within 30 seconds, especially after a winning faceoff and some possession time setting up. It's a great thing.

How about 'Respect'?  You can have a loud and rabid fanbase & show respect to others. We shouldn't have to stoop to the bottom of the barrel just to have an identity as a fanbase.  The future of Devils fans will be with the 5-12 year olds.  Hopefully the parents of those kids don't stop coming to games the next 5 years because of the bottom dwelling, i pay so I can say whatever I want mentality.  And yes, I wish our fans sang the US anthem with enthusiasm the way we clap for the US troop who comes to our game.

This, exactly. It's not about growing a "thicker skin." It's about simple decency. We can be enthusiastic without being insulting during the anthems, and certainly without the crassness of the suck/swallows/watches chants and the like.

I don't have kids, but it's gotten to a point that whenever I invite people with kids to a game, or when I gave away my kid's ticket vouchers, I feel like I have to warn the parents about the things they're going to hear during the game. It's ridiculous that grown people think it's funny to yell those kinds of things in public with kids around. (And by the way, it's not just the college kids doing it.)

Now, as I've said in these threads before, I do believe that everybody who buys a ticket gets to choose how they cheer the team. If you want to act like a disgusting idiot, I suppose that's your prerogative. But don't tell yourself that you're not acting like a disgusting idiot. You are. You're disrespecting the people around you -- Devils fans and opposing fans alike -- and whether you know it or not, you're also disrespecting yourself.

Some people really need to understand the difference between intimidating and being a jerk. How about instead of causing other teams' fans not to come because of bad behavior, we cause them not to come by buying more tickets ourselves? :P

Or instead of causing fans to fear coming here because we're jerks, they don't come out of respect for how loud the fanbase is and how much we razz their team on the ice instead of razzing them as individuals in the stands?

Edited by NJDevs4978

Some people really need to understand the difference between intimidating and being a jerk. How about instead of causing other teams' fans not to come because of bad behavior, we cause them not to come by buying more tickets ourselves? :P

Or instead of causing fans to fear coming here because we're jerks, they don't come out of respect for how loud the fanbase is and how much we razz their team on the ice instead of razzing them as individuals in the stands?

How dare you be sensible on here!

I agree with the hostility, mocking, and taunting only when we play the Flyers or Rangers. I genuinely don't care enough to get in an argument with a Penguins or Bruins or Canadiens fan when we play them. If they get too loud and obnoxious, at most, I'll keep it sarcastic and playful and always hockey-related.

As for the "Rangers suck!" chant, there's a fine line. I think it's funny and has become a tradition. Essentially, we're mocking their "Potvin sucks!" chant. Don't forget how many closeted (or sometimes blueshirt-wearing) Rangers fans come along to our arena for every game because of the cheap tickets. Let them know how you feel! Hell, there were 6 jersey-wearing Rangers fans in my section during the Lightning game, why the hell wouldn't we make the section hostile and uninviting toward them? This is our rivalry, this is who we hate. We hate their general manager, we still hate and mock Sean Avery, we think Lundqvist is an underachieving joke of a "King". The "Rangers suck!" chant has become "our thing", accept it.

However, I said there's a fine line. When we're down 4-0 in the 1st and the Rangers just scored on Boston in the out of town scoreboard, THAT IS NOT THE RIGHT TIME TO START WHISTLING THE "RANGERS SUCK!" CHANT... Only then am I in agreement with those of you that hate it. Starting that chant 6 times a period while we're losing and playing sh!tty hockey is a dumb move, don't do it, and don't partake in it.

Whether some want to admit it or not, there is a line that shouldn't be crossed.  I for 1 am appreciative of the noise being brought by the Diablos (the "kill" chant is growing and catching on throughout the arena), love the Baumann chant from my days growing up, and am happy that there is some sort of atmosphere at most games now.  But the "Flyers swallows" part of the Rangers suck chant is beyond low class and has to stop.  

As far as the other teams fans go, if they are respectful and just rooting for their team, then so be it.  But if they come in to the Rock acting like an a$$, then give them hell for all I care so long as it doesn't get physical and profanities aren't thrown around every other word.  You know, or should know, what you are getting into going into another teams arena and should act accordingly.  Every time I've gone to MSG or the FU/WF Center wearing my Devils jersey, I root for the team and never make a comment back to anyone else.  Usually those nit-wits have something stupid to say, but as long as you don't feed the beast, you'll be fine.  I expect the same from visiting fans in our arena. 

• Like 2

:clap2:

Luckily, we are getting closer and closer to the first part of this being true. Season tickets are really affordable and our STH base keeps growing, which is great. Hell, I've been at every game this season and if I DO have to sell my tickets for some reason, I do my best to make sure they go to Devils fans.

However, the second part is just fantasy. Has anyone honestly not gone to another team's arena out of fear of how much they'd cheer or how loud they'd be while watching the game? You have to have a healthy balance of both cheering and razzing without crossing a line unless a team just straight up becomes a dynasty and no visitors want to go because they know their team has a low chance of winning, which just isn't a possibility for almost every team in the NHL. You can absolutely razz other fans individually without being offensive or a douchebag.I mean, I don't even yell "Flyers Swallow" cuz I don't like it and you won't hear me yelling "Rangers suck" or "You suck" after a goal if we're not winning. However, I see no problem with razzing at all as long as it's based solely on the sport and their choice of team and nothing profane or personal. But maybe that's just me.

Edited by PWW

It's easier said than done. When going to a Devils game is ALWAYS the cheaper option for a Rangers fan or Flyers fan, they're going to go on StubHub and buy tickets, simple as that. You're not taking into account the amount of antagonism and drunken hostility that comes with having a few Flyers fans in your row. What do you do when a Flyers fan chick tells a mom "I hope you die of breast cancer!" (actually heard this during the playoffs last year) after the mom told her to stop cursing? Prudential Center security sure as sh!t won't kick her out, they never do.

Fact is, we don't want those types of people coming to our arena anymore. When they get loud and the Devils end up winning, we have full license to humiliate and offend them. If you don't think that has been an active cause of why we're seeing less and less Flyers/Rangers fans in our arena, you need to get real! The loudmouth Rangers or Flyers fan that thought he was going to have full reign at The Rock to have a nice evening, get drunk, and be irresponsible, and NOT get kicked out by security, they need the rude awakening and Devils fans are growing some balls. The unfortunate side effect is that it pours over into other games, but I like rivalry games at The Rock WAY more now than I did 3-4 years ago so it's good enough for me.

If you're a Devils fan you need to know what you're getting into by bringing your kids to one of the uppers/200s sections during a Devils-Flyers game. There's a lot of things you can't bring your kids to: R-rated movies, nightclubs. I hate to sound harsh but the responsible adult should know better before getting tickets to the upper sections in these games specifically.

Let me just add that, to all of you saying that some of the idiots should COOL IT during non-rival or non-division games, I completely agree.

If you're a Devils fan you need to know what you're getting into by bringing your kids to one of the uppers/200s sections during a Devils-Flyers game. There's a lot of things you can't bring your kids to: R-rated movies, nightclubs. I hate to sound harsh but the responsible adult should know better before getting tickets to the upper sections in these games specifically.

Let me just add that, to all of you saying that some of the idiots should COOL IT during non-rival or non-division games, I completely agree.

The problem is, it's not just the 200's.  It's all over, including the balconies where a lot of kids are.  I try to avoid taking my kids to Flyers/Rags games, but the stupidity pervades even at games against Tampa, although to a lesser extent.  I finally realized the extent of the problem last week when, at the end of the "Rangers sucks chant," when the guys behind us started withteh Flyers swallow and Crosby watches, the 10 year old sitting in front of me turned around and told them that they had the chant wrong and it was "Parise watches."  The kid is cool as hell and has no idea exactly what they are talking about, but it shows how much this is starting to extend into the fanbase.

Plus, a sporting event is not an R-rated movie or a nightclub.  It is meant to be family entertainment especially for teams like the Devils that don't sell a ton of seats to corporations.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

I never said I wanted to do such a thing. I would never assault, threaten, personally attack, shout profanities, or throw anything at any other fans. But I would do my best to make sure they have a HORRIBLE experience otherwise in all things related to the game itself and make them never want to come back. These people didn't come to our building to play parcheesi and hold hands. They came here to root for the other team in OUR BUILDING. I will absolutely go out of my way to rub it in as much as possible when our team does something good. When we score and there are fans of the other team sitting around me, I will make sure to yell "You suck!" right in their general direction. I'll go to high-five fans of the other team as they leave early because they're getting whooped. And I will yell "You can have it!" during the Canadian anthem. I'd expect the same if I went into their arena.

You're embarrassing, but then i saw you're response to Zubie so i take this back a bit.  Give this to the a$$hole fans, not just the normal, everyday fans who go to watch the game cause their team is in town

Edited by RangersSuck23

The problem is, it's not just the 200's.  It's all over, including the balconies where a lot of kids are.  I try to avoid taking my kids to Flyers/Rags games, but the stupidity pervades even at games against Tampa, although to a lesser extent.  I finally realized the extent of the problem last week when, at the end of the "Rangers sucks chant," when the guys behind us started withteh Flyers swallow and Crosby watches, the 10 year old sitting in front of me turned around and told them that they had the chant wrong and it was "Parise watches."  The kid is cool as hell and has no idea exactly what they are talking about, but it shows how much this is starting to extend into the fanbase.

Plus, a sporting event is not an R-rated movie or a nightclub.  It is meant to be family entertainment especially for teams like the Devils that don't sell a ton of seats to corporations.

Fair enough. I know I'm coming off as a bit rough and tough, but I generally do agree that I hate when fans "cross the line" at a Sabres or Jets or Bruins game. There's really no rivalry to speak of, so 9 times out of 10, we'd have to assume that the Devils fan is the firestarter, or drunk. I remember once last year a group of 4-5 fans, probably in their mid-20s absolutely tearing apart two Winnipeg fans, completely unprovoked. It stands out in my mind still because of how harsh they were. Winnipeg hadn't been in the league for HOW many years? Can't imagine what could have caused them to rail them so hard outside of being way too drunk.

Also, I agree that disrespecting any national anthem in any way is unacceptable.

It's easier said than done. When going to a Devils game is ALWAYS the cheaper option for a Rangers fan or Flyers fan, they're going to go on StubHub and buy tickets, simple as that. You're not taking into account the amount of antagonism and drunken hostility that comes with having a few Flyers fans in your row. What do you do when a Flyers fan chick tells a mom "I hope you die of breast cancer!" (actually heard this during the playoffs last year) after the mom told her to stop cursing? Prudential Center security sure as sh!t won't kick her out, they never do.

Fact is, we don't want those types of people coming to our arena anymore. When they get loud and the Devils end up winning, we have full license to humiliate and offend them. If you don't think that has been an active cause of why we're seeing less and less Flyers/Rangers fans in our arena, you need to get real! The loudmouth Rangers or Flyers fan that thought he was going to have full reign at The Rock to have a nice evening, get drunk, and be irresponsible, and NOT get kicked out by security, they need the rude awakening and Devils fans are growing some balls. The unfortunate side effect is that it pours over into other games, but I like rivalry games at The Rock WAY more now than I did 3-4 years ago so it's good enough for me.

lol at thinking fans' vigilante behavior is the reason there are fewer Ranger/Flyer fans as opposed to the 3500 new sth's and a conscious effort by the Devils to get tickets in the hands of other Devils fans during the playoffs.

Pretty much the only thing you said I agree with is that security is part of the problem, they're more likely to throw out a Devils fan for something trivial than appear biased by throwing out a Ranger fan for something worse.

I'm all for giving it to people that 'deserve' it like the jerk Flyer fan in your example, but there's a big difference between that and actively starting trouble yourself. Some Kings fan who pretty much minded his own business all night got beer spilled on him after Game 2 last year. That isn't the kind of nonsense we need to encourage.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I agree with those who draw the line between "Rangers suck," and "Flyers swallow."  And it is incredibly juvenile to disrespect another country's national anthem, especially when the team you are there to root for has a bunch of players from that country.  It would be juvenile and stupid at a USA vs. Canada game and it's even dumber when it's an NHL game with rosters of mixed citizenship.

I'm all about a loud arena that keeps the visiting a$$holes away, and I don't really give a crap if people who start chants are doing it slightly wrong because at least they are trying, but that doesn't mean everything goes.

Oh grow some thicker skin. I went to a game in Edmonton a few years ago and was called a "fat sh!thole American" by half of the crowd. I'm 5'11 145.

The Canadians loudly mock the national anthem and their captain is from the US. It's a sporting event you ninnies.

Amen, people take chants and cursing way too seriously nowadays. Some of my best childhood memories going to games were watching fights and learning new curse words. It's a sporting event with people having fun for a few hours. No one is saying you have to like it but we don't need thread after thread of people bitching and moaning about it every year. Just don't participate if it bothers you.

Remember, Canada sucks, Pat Quinn swallows!

Ok, I'm kidding about that first part, I love Canada!

• Like 1

The National Anthem heckling is just terrible.  No place in ANY sport for that. In terms of the chants at the arena, when we play the Flyers, Rangers, or Montreal (because frankly i cannot stand them and their snubbing of every other team since they are historically the best team in hockey blah blah blah, they are douchebags) The chants after Flyers swallow are just ridiculous and represent the Devils in a very negative light.  I would hope that those guys could somehow get embarrassed during the game but sadly it never happens.  I want teams that come play the Devils to be agitated and annoyed by the crowd NOISE not the stupid slurs thrown at them.  Some people have to come to their senses and just grow up already

I liked the idea of the Diablos section as our arena has had the reputation of being very quiet, but I must agree that some of the chants could use some improvement. Not to disrespect anyone in that section, but some of the chants really are overkill as DevsMan suggested.

The Devils are their own worst enemy. The Diablos section could have been something great but they wanted to limit it to full season ticket holders and the end result is what you end up with.

lol at thinking fans' vigilante behavior is the reason there are fewer Ranger/Flyer fans as opposed to the 3500 new sth's and a conscious effort by the Devils to get tickets in the hands of other Devils fans during the playoffs.

Pretty much the only thing you said I agree with is that security is part of the problem, they're more likely to throw out a Devils fan for something trivial than appear biased by throwing out a Ranger fan for something worse.

I'm all for giving it to people that 'deserve' it like the jerk Flyer fan in your example, but there's a big difference between that and actively starting trouble yourself. Some Kings fan who pretty much minded his own business all night got beer spilled on him after Game 2 last year. That isn't the kind of nonsense we need to encourage.

Omg I remember that poor Kings fan. He was the quietest guy in the whole section. I felt bad for him, and I got hit with that beer too.

We also don't need people acting that way during the games in the first place.

Exactly.  There has always been some degree of this throughout the years, but since the Devils moved to Newark it has just gotten worse and worse.

What I used to see when I was younger at CAA in the 90's on a very rare occasion has now gotten to be where I see it almost every game and it is disgusting.

Dammit stop being so rational about all this! lol

Exactly.  There has always been some degree of this throughout the years, but since the Devils moved to Newark it has just gotten worse and worse.

What I used to see when I was younger at CAA in the 90's on a very rare occasion has now gotten to be where I see it almost every game and it is disgusting.

I wouldn't say it's really that much worse now, maybe you just don't remember the Meadowlands that well, especially during the Flyers and Rangers games there use to be full out brawls during some games back at the Meadowlands. I remember one game vividly where about 4 rows of fans got kicked out of my section during a Flyers game and one of the fans actually punched one of the bigger female guards in the face and she came back and destroyed him.

I've seen a fan get thrown down 14 rows of the upper deck in Boston during our 03 playoff series against them.

I've seen a Penguins fan get punched in the face by a Rangers fan during their playoff series a few years ago and then get thrown out of the game by security when the Penguins fan did nothing.

Edited by Satans Hockey