GDT New Jersey Devils at Capitals 7PM MSG+

ZeroGravityFat

Not in love with this game - Devils did a lot of great things, but too many chances in transition for the Capitals.  They're also two forwards short on the PK and it's beginning to show.  Still, they crushed the Caps at even strength and got the benefit of some refereeing late.  I think we'll see Fayne instead of Tallinder on Saturday.

Gotta like Loktionov's play though - the Devils have to find a way to get him some more ice time.  He should be on the 2nd power play unit sooner than later.

He should at least get off the 4th line w/ Carter and Zubrus out. Unless Henrique moves to wing though or they fall out of love w/ Gionta, I dunno where they're gonna put him except the 2nd PP unit 

He should at least get off the 4th line w/ Carter and Zubrus out. Unless Henrique moves to wing though or they fall out of love w/ Gionta, I dunno where they're gonna put him except the 2nd PP unit 

Eh, I'd try out these lines:

Matteau-Zajac-Kovalchuk

Elias-Henrique-Clarkson

Ponikarovsky-Loktionov-Butler

Barch-Gionta-Bernier

late in games when they're ahead, move Ponikarovsky up, and use Matteau with Gionta and Bernier.  

i liked Kovy's game a lot as he was going out of his mold, its like there was really a challenge vs him and Ovechkin, like who's gonna be the best.

I didnt like the game though, we needed a terribly sh!tty team to get in penalty trouble to find a way to take the lead. Not too impressive. But i hope they can build on that and get another one tomorrow and go on a winning streak

i liked Kovy's game a lot as he was going out of his mold, its like there was really a challenge vs him and Ovechkin, like who's gonna be the best.

I didnt like the game though, we needed a terribly sh!tty team to get in penalty trouble to find a way to take the lead. Not too impressive. But i hope they can build on that and get another one tomorrow and go on a winning streak

The Devils got totally screwed on their second goal though. We outplayed them pretty badly and deserved the win, but our transition defense was awful. Greene, Salvador and Tallinder all got abused on the rush.

As a side note, Ovechkin played a hell of a game. He was banging bodies, pulling off dekes he had no business making and even back checked hard. Don't even get me started on how great Kovalchuk looked. They definitely bring out the best in each other

Okay, so let's just note the fact that the glass was just broken by a slapshot for the "let's reduce goalie gear" thread. Try getting hit with a shot that hard, even with modern gear.

the heck with the goalie, what about guys like clarksy who have to screen???? no visor no neck guard and flimsy1/2" thick chest padding.  thats crazy!

The Devils got totally screwed on their second goal though. We outplayed them pretty badly and deserved the win, but our transition defense was awful. Greene, Salvador and Tallinder all got abused on the rush.

As a side note, Ovechkin played a hell of a game. He was banging bodies, pulling off dekes he had no business making and even back checked hard. Don't even get me started on how great Kovalchuk looked. They definitely bring out the best in each other

i didnt like Kovy on the PP until he scored though and i don't like the Devils transition game cause i'm watching a lot of hockey and to watch other teams go so often im like... damn the Devils would have never done that.

our transition game is so slow compared to a bunch of teams, they have players who can get a dman flat footed with a quick head deke even and boom you go around him... the devils if they don't dump they'll slow down until everyone is in the zone for a pass pretty much.

our PP is too slow too it's not making the other team move at all, i hate to say it but MTL's PP is really good with Markov on the back, they move the puck so fast between them and its catching the other team off guard cause they don't have much time to settled and they have to skate around pretty fast to stay in the shooting lane.

i know there's reason to slow down the game but we're restraining chances by doing things the same way all the time and thats what pissing me off the most about our system when im watching other teams.

Not really, but have you looked at the NJ power play without anti-homer eyes?  Did you see it stomp on Ottawa on Monday?

ah you're singling out ONE game now when it goes in your favour but other than that we have to look long term for everything else.... right.... riiiiiight....

also Ottawa we're terrible that night we were just worst all around.

Edited by SterioDesign

I tried to look it up, but couldn't find it...how many 5-on-3 PPGs have the Devils scored this season, and in how many attempts?  It seems like they've been great at those this season.

I tried to look it up, but couldn't find it...how many 5-on-3 PPGs have the Devils scored this season, and in how many attempts?  It seems like they've been great at those this season.

They've scored 5, most in the league.  I don't know how many 'attempts' they've had, but they've had the 4th highest 5 on 3 time in the league, with 7 minutes or so.

Sterio:  Absent numbers, I'm not going to judge power plays subjectively, because they're mostly trying to accomplish the same things, and the only differences are in personnel.  I'm not going to expect Elias to become Malkin off the half-wall because he's not Malkin.

The reason I bring up one game is because they looked awesome that game, so if you were a random fan who happened to see that game, you would think 'Wow, NJ's power play is amazing'.  They will look bad in other games.  Much like Montreal, but you are choosing, either intentionally or accidentally, to remember Montreal's good PPs and not remember their bad ones, even though the shooting rate has been about the same, and the success rate has been about the same too.

5 PPG in 7 mins of 5-on-3...damn. 

So I'm going to guess they've had, say, 7 to 9 attempts on 5-on-3.  Means they're something like 9-for-63, 64, or 65 the rest of the time.  Basically around 14%.  The 5-on-3 success is propping up the overall percentage (19.4%) nicely. 

5 PPG in 7 mins of 5-on-3...damn. 

So I'm going to guess they've had, say, 7 to 9 attempts on 5-on-3.  Means they're something like 9-for-63, 64, or 65 the rest of the time.  Basically around 14%.  The 5-on-3 success is propping up the overall percentage (19.4%) nicely. 

Meh.  Devils are getting lucky to draw as many 5 on 3s as they have, and there's no reason to expect that to stay up, but remember that when you score on one end of a 5 on 3, it's often hard to score on the resulting 5 on 4.  Right now behindthenet is missing the Ottawa game, but NJ is in the middle of the pack in shots on goal per 60 minutes and middle of the pack in shooting percentage at 5 on 4 power plays.  I guess they are above the league average in % right now still.

Meh.  Devils are getting lucky to draw as many 5 on 3s as they have, and there's no reason to expect that to stay up, but remember that when you score on one end of a 5 on 3, it's often hard to score on the resulting 5 on 4.  Right now behindthenet is missing the Ottawa game, but NJ is in the middle of the pack in shots on goal per 60 minutes and middle of the pack in shooting percentage at 5 on 4 power plays.  I guess they are above the league average in % right now still.

I wasn't implying the 5-on-3 success was going to continue...I'm expecting the Devils overall PP% to start coming down.  They are currently 9th in PP%...I think they'll fall to middle-of-the-pack. 

They've scored 5, most in the league.  I don't know how many 'attempts' they've had, but they've had the 4th highest 5 on 3 time in the league, with 7 minutes or so.

Sterio:  Absent numbers, I'm not going to judge power plays subjectively, because they're mostly trying to accomplish the same things, and the only differences are in personnel.  I'm not going to expect Elias to become Malkin off the half-wall because he's not Malkin.

The reason I bring up one game is because they looked awesome that game, so if you were a random fan who happened to see that game, you would think 'Wow, NJ's power play is amazing'.  They will look bad in other games.  Much like Montreal, but you are choosing, either intentionally or accidentally, to remember Montreal's good PPs and not remember their bad ones, even though the shooting rate has been about the same, and the success rate has been about the same too.

i was not talking about their success they have cause a goalie or a miss shot can make all the difference in the world, what i meant is how well they are moving the puck and creating panic on the PK, our PP have actually being better than theirs if you look at numbers. same as vancouver, its a beauty to watch. I never said our PP was sh!t but it could certainly be better or we could get a few more chances if the guys were not taking their time like that. Sometimes we can easily lose a good 45 secondes if you put together all the time our point men are just standing there with the puck looking around. 

like seriously how many time do we see Kovy and Green or whoever passing the puck to each other while they are just standing, not ready for a one timer or anything they just "get the puck" then look around, pass it back to the other guy... who does the same thing. while the PK guys are barely moving.