GDT New Jersey Devils at Capitals 7PM MSG+

ZeroGravityFat

lol he's playing 20something minutes a night do you want 100% max effort every shift? And lazy and kovy don't go together anymore. Would you dare say he's enigmatic?

If less time would be more effective effort on the ice, than yes? Listen go really watch a game and see how often kovy will shy away from getting in on the puck in the offensive zone.

Seems like a few of you are pretty biased here, I love kovy, but I'm not blind to his flaws. This is pro sports, he gets paid alot of money, I expect maximum effort more often than not. There are players that give it their all, parise for instance. Parise doesn't take a shift off, kovy didn't tonight and I thought it was the best he has played in a long time.

If less time would be more effective effort on the ice, than yes? Listen go really watch a game and see how often kovy will shy away from getting in on the puck in the offensive zone.

Seems like a few of you are pretty biased here, I love kovy, but I'm not blind to his flaws. This is pro sports, he gets paid alot of money, I expect maximum effort more often than not. There are players that give it their all, parise for instance. Parise doesn't take a shift off, kovy didn't tonight and I thought it was the best he has played in a long time.

Parise's not going to be effective in his 30s. Parise never struck when it counted and he didn't get many game-winning goals. Kovalchuk's concentration, patience, and vision means we get well-timed and clutch scoring from him many times during his 25+ minutes a game. While we're at it, Parise didn't play 25 minutes a game.

Parise's not going to be effective in his 30s. Parise never struck when it counted and he didn't get many game-winning goals. Kovalchuk's concentration, patience, and vision means we get well-timed and clutch scoring from him many times during his 25+ minutes a game. While we're at it, Parise didn't play 25 minutes a game.

This. Also, sometimes he will "shy away" but only because defense is part of his game now and he'll start to drop back and get ready for the other team's forecheck. He used to go all out for every loose puck in Atlanta and then he'd be out of position. Now he makes the smart plays when he's unsure. I have no problem with that whatsoever.

w/e we all know what kovalchuk does, he is amazingly skilled. What I want from him is to see this level of intensity on a nightly basis. If you think thats ridiculous, to each his own. He's obviously capable of playing the way he did tonight.

w/e we all know what kovalchuk does, he is amazingly skilled. What I want from him is to see this level of intensity on a nightly basis. If you think thats ridiculous, to each his own. He's obviously capable of playing the way he did tonight.

I know he's capable but I think he'll be more tired tonight than he usually is. And when he's such a huge part of our team, you need him to stay fresh, and not get injured. Playing every night the way our golden boy Parise used to play would result in Kovalchuk injured or burnt out by April.

No offense, but it's like asking Peyton Manning to start running the wildcat the way Tebow does because he doesn't show enough effort.

Edited by DJ Eco

I blame Adam Oates's tied-too-tight tie.

Seriously though....all Reffing no 5 on 3 action. The Devils' plan here doesn't seem to be terrible, but there needs to be faster execution of this high-up switching, and there needs to be some high-low movement to get the defenders out of position.

Andy Greene came in once on one of the PP's, I think it was 5 on 4, and it was great to see him getting aggressive and drawing defenders to him but nobody, on the PP, came with him on the opposite side OR up the middle and he was left with no options.

Edited by Cowutopia

Somebody misses Zach. Even if Kovalchuk doesn;'t give as much effort as he should for argument's sake, he's STILL better than Parise and can actually score a goal from more than 1 foot out so I'm not complaining 

Tallinder played just under 2:00 in the 3rd period. If Fayne isn't playing Saturday, I'll fall on the floor.

They should've just thrown Stevens out there instead of Tallinder. Tallinder looked about 60 years old tonight 

Not in love with this game - Devils did a lot of great things, but too many chances in transition for the Capitals.  They're also two forwards short on the PK and it's beginning to show.  Still, they crushed the Caps at even strength and got the benefit of some refereeing late.  I think we'll see Fayne instead of Tallinder on Saturday.

Gotta like Loktionov's play though - the Devils have to find a way to get him some more ice time.  He should be on the 2nd power play unit sooner than later.

Larsson made a good play on Loktionov's goal too - walked the line, found a shooting lane, put it on net. Finally we got to one of our rebounds.

If you give Larsson time he'll make good offensive plays, other teams know this so he rarely gets the time he'd like.  When Larsson gets to pick his head up and start looking for shooting and passing lanes from the point, he's dangerous.

If you give Larsson time he'll make good offensive plays, other teams know this so he rarely gets the time he'd like.  When Larsson gets to pick his head up and start looking for shooting and passing lanes from the point, he's dangerous.

Agreed. I think we'll see that Larsson will get a bit quicker with making the right choice with the puck in these situations. Already he's getting better at finding ways to get the puck to the net, whether that means moving to find a lane or making a shot-pass. He may or may not have an elite shot from the blue line, but either way he can use his smarts to find lanes and let the forwards do the hard part.

Edited by iamtheprodigy