Well DiPietro didnt took it too well...

SterioDesign

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

Was a compliment towards his wife as he said he wouldn't be hear anymore if he didn't have her.Struggled with the same thing.

Edited by BelieveinBrodeur

When you've got more money than you know what to do with, other problems take precedence. I feel for the guy. He is a hockey player, and that's all he has going for him. Once hyped up as a definite franchise goalie, he has been seen as a disappointment by many NYI fans.

Would I trade my more modest lifestyle for a disappointing hockey career with millions of dollars? Probably, but I am not Rick DiPietro, and it's clear that passion for the sport he loves, the life he chose, is more important than the economic reward for him. I hope he's doing alright.

The guy is one of those rare poor-performers who quickly nabbed a contract 100 times more than he is worth. Then after years of failure and years of millions ahead, he has the nerve to be angry at the Isles for waiving him. What an a$$hole.

Edit: Sorry for the DP - can't edit the above post.

Edited by Neb00rs

Well, I misunderstood you. My mistake.

I get it, trust me. I'm definitely not a person who thinks mental illness isn't real or is less real than physical illness. I've seen addiction, depression, and other mental illness destroy people and their family's, I don't doubt their power.

I just don't see how poor depressed person=rich depressed person. If I got to choose, I'd choose rich depressed person every time and I think every person here would.

No matter how bad life gets for DP, he, as I said, can still go travel the world to make him feel better, he can buy any item on the planet basically. I just don't feel for a wealthy, physically talented person just because he didn't quite "make it". There's billions of people in this world who live with the fact that they aren't doing what they love everyday or aren't at the pinnacle of their field. Why should I feel any extra bad for DP? He has a lot more opportunity and ability to do what he wants than most, if not, all of those people.

You know nothing about this...I'm not saying that to flame you, but you don't.  If you're suffering from depression, it doesn't matter what you have at your means, if you're not getting help for your depression.  Travelling the world or having the ability to buy whatever you want whenever you want doesn't make depression go away, or make you feel better.  Money doesn't correlate to this at all.   

I'm not saying this is the case with you, but a lot of people who don't really know much about depression think it's just a case of "Well, take inventory of all of the good things in your life, now stop feeling sorry for yourself, depression over...don't worry, be happy."  Depressed people don't WANT to feel the way that they do; if anything, most of them are puzzled by the presence of the stranger that is inhabiting them, the one that is seemingly darkening their vision and stripping the joy out of everything around them.  Lack of understanding from many around them is definitely a problem...a lot of people who haven't been through it tend to trivialize it. 

• Like 3

Well, I misunderstood you. My mistake.

I get it, trust me. I'm definitely not a person who thinks mental illness isn't real or is less real than physical illness. I've seen addiction, depression, and other mental illness destroy people and their family's, I don't doubt their power.

I just don't see how poor depressed person=rich depressed person. If I got to choose, I'd choose rich depressed person every time and I think every person here would.

No matter how bad life gets for DP, he, as I said, can still go travel the world to make him feel better, he can buy any item on the planet basically. I just don't feel for a wealthy, physically talented person just because he didn't quite "make it". There's billions of people in this world who live with the fact that they aren't doing what they love everyday or aren't at the pinnacle of their field. Why should I feel any extra bad for DP? He has a lot more opportunity and ability to do what he wants than most, if not, all of those people.

I will be honest, I always thought exactly like you, until I actually became depressed. I basically tried the approach you mentioned at the end of your post and it made no difference at all.

After an incredibly painful breakup and a car accident I became depressed. I had a lot of spare cash due to my change in circumstance and basically tried throwing money at my problems, I brought and did everything I wanted in my life , money was no issue.

Every time something would arrive through the post, or I would be sat on the beach somewhere amazing I would be sat there hoping that the feeling of nothingness would go away, and every time the same feeling would just be there, a feeling so wretched I can’t do justice describing it.

I wish I had just saved my money, because the only time it started to get better was when I went and got help on my family’s insistence.

Back to Di Pietro, if he wasn’t serious in his remarks then he is doing himself even less favours with the organisation and the fans. Pretending to be upset is hardly going to redeem him in the eyes of the people who are angry with him in the first place.

If the Islanders drop him as part of the salary cap issue and he is a free agent, I would not be surprised if Lou signed him as yet another reclamation project.   Having him play behind Marty and a solid team would probably do wonders for him.   I don't think he would garner much on the open market and he is a USA guy.

I will be honest, I always thought exactly like you, until I actually became depressed. I basically tried the approach you mentioned at the end of your post and it made no difference at all.

After an incredibly painful breakup and a car accident I became depressed. I had a lot of spare cash due to my change in circumstance and basically tried throwing money at my problems, I brought and did everything I wanted in my life , money was no issue.

Every time something would arrive through the post, or I would be sat on the beach somewhere amazing I would be sat there hoping that the feeling of nothingness would go away, and every time the same feeling would just be there, a feeling so wretched I can’t do justice describing it.

I wish I had just saved my money, because the only time it started to get better was when I went and got help on my family’s insistence.

Back to Di Pietro, if he wasn’t serious in his remarks then he is doing himself even less favours with the organisation and the fans. Pretending to be upset is hardly going to redeem him in the eyes of the people who are angry with him in the first place.

I'm gonna make my point one last time and that's it. You're all misunderstanding me. This is far less about whether I feel depression can affect anyone's life than it is about the level of sympathy or empathy I have for a man who has it a lot easier than most.

I understand depression, you don't have to tell me your story, I know the story, they're all very similar stories and it's a shame that anyone has to experience such a thing. And I understand spending money doesn't=happiness. I don't really want to expound too much on my personal life here, but I've spent what's likely $50k+ in 3 years on one thing in particular because I thought it would make things easier, it doesn't. I get it. And in those 3 years, I met a lot of depressed, anxiety ridden, mentally ill people. I would, without a doubt, rather be DP than any one of those people, period.

I don't care how bad your depression is, high income is a leg up, even in treatment, which many of the people I met, were not getting due to the fact they can't afford it. Though the wealthier the person I met, it certainly seemed to give them a boost in their ability to find treatment and better themselves. It helps when your insurance covers mental health costs, which mine don't so well, similar to many people. So again, I just don't feel AS bad for a guy that has every door open to him to aid him in fighting his depression than I do for one who would have to fight ten times as hard just to open one door towards progress for themselves. You understand what I'm saying. I'm really trying not to be insensitive, because I do understand the depth of the pain from depression and it's terrible. I just don't care what anyone else says, lots of money makes it less terrible, even if only slightly.

I just feel a lot less bad for an extremely wealthy depressed DP, than I would if DP was asking me for change on the street and he had never made money. No matter what way you look at it, DP has it better than a lot of people, we should all at least agree on that.

I'm gonna make my point one last time and that's it. You're all misunderstanding me. This is far less about whether I feel depression can affect anyone's life than it is about the level of sympathy or empathy I have for a man who has it a lot easier than most.

I understand depression, you don't have to tell me your story, I know the story, they're all very similar stories and it's a shame that anyone has to experience such a thing. And I understand spending money doesn't=happiness. I don't really want to expound too much on my personal life here, but I've spent what's likely $50k+ in 3 years on one thing in particular because I thought it would make things easier, it doesn't. I get it. And in those 3 years, I met a lot of depressed, anxiety ridden, mentally ill people. I would, without a doubt, rather be DP than any one of those people, period.

I don't care how bad your depression is, high income is a leg up, even in treatment, which many of the people I met, were not getting due to the fact they can't afford it. Though the wealthier the person I met, it certainly seemed to give them a boost in their ability to find treatment and better themselves. It helps when your insurance covers mental health costs, which mine don't so well, similar to many people. So again, I just don't feel AS bad for a guy that has every door open to him to aid him in fighting his depression than I do for one who would have to fight ten times as hard just to open one door towards progress for themselves. You understand what I'm saying. I'm really trying not to be insensitive, because I do understand the depth of the pain from depression and it's terrible. I just don't care what anyone else says, lots of money makes it less terrible, even if only slightly.

I just feel a lot less bad for an extremely wealthy depressed DP, than I would if DP was asking me for change on the street and he had never made money. No matter what way you look at it, DP has it better than a lot of people, we should all at least agree on that.

Ok i get it now. Its still pretty sad you can't empathise with someone even though the could be suffering the same as you just because they have more money. But everyone is different and at least you have the guts to say it. What i will say is though, the more you have the bigger your problems get. Say Di Pietro was genuine, ok he has more money bit he also has to deal with the media, fans expectation all that stuff. The fact he has earned more is causing him more stress now for example. But i take your point. Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

I gotta admit, I do feel for the guy. It's gotta be pretty awful to KNOW you have to talent to play in the NHL but have your body keep betraying you. I'd rather never have the talent to begin with than have it but not get a chance to display. I'm not saying he was ever gonna live up to his draft pick or contract, but he showed he could at least be pretty good. I mean this guy worked hard to get to the top and to have the talent but not the durability has to be beyond frustrating. Add in the weight of an entire franchise and fanbase on his shoulders and this really doesn't surprise me to here. It's an unfortunate story. I hope he gets a shot somewhere.

He may be extremely rich but I feel for him. Depression doesn't care how much money you have or don't have or what your situation is like. Not being able to perform at the level he thinks he can and the constant fan/media criticism can only make that worse.

Thank you for saying this, depression is very scary and very real. We can say all we want about players sucking and making fun of them but when it comes down to comments like this it is very real. I hope the best for Rick, and if he needs help I really hope he pursues it.

Anyone willing to nock him for his comment don't realize that depression is a sickness and it can kill you! It has touched my family and people need to be a little more understanding money means nothing to depression.

Rick DiPietro was pulled during tonight's Sound Tigers vs Whale game after giving up 5 goals on 12 shots ALL IN THE FIRST PERIOD!

I personally don't believe that gifted athletes can just lose their abilities despite maintaining the same work ethic and commitment.. Age is one thing but that shouldn't be a factor with him

I personally don't believe that gifted athletes can just lose their abilities despite maintaining the same work ethic and commitment.. Age is one thing but that shouldn't be a factor with him

It's injuries.   Ever since the superskills injury, he can't support any kind of workload.

just to add, it's cheapskate Wang that puts all of this on him so he can drag some dead cap space around.

Edited by maxpower

I really do feel for the guy. It's a terrible feeling when your body stops letting you do what you want. During 4 years of high school football and about 16 years of hockey starting at around age 14, I collected my share of injuries. A back injury finally forced me to 'retire' when I was about 30. I couldn't imagine what it must be like to be good enough to reach the NHL, make the All Star Game, and then have it all pulled away from you as slowly and agonizingly as it was for DiPietro. I hope some other team gives him a shot.

That's pretty bad. Again, I feel for him, but I just have a limit to how bad I can feel for him when there's people who suffer with nothing, he at least never worries about what he's gonna eat tonight or where he'll sleep. I think if he took a year off of the NHL, it'd be better. I know it's hard for him with that contract, but maybe he should retire, go to Europe somewhere, play in a league where no one is gonna recognize him. Take some time, put his game back together and try to come back to the NHL like Nabby did. I'd bet if he played well enough in a Euro league somewhere, somebody would take a flyer on him as a veteran back up going into the playoffs. All he has to do then is prove he's good enough to be in the NHL somewhere.

Like someone else said, talent doesn't just escape you. You lose it by not maintaining it through practice, not staying fit, etc.