NFL 2013 Off Season - cap hits, franchise tags, draft prep

MantaRay

Patriots just released Aaron Hernandez. 

Probably tells you all you need to know.  No waiting around for more to come to light, to see what the evidence against him is...I don't think the Pats do this unless they have really solid inside info that this guy is in major trouble. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably tells you all you need to know.  No waiting around for more to come to light, to see what the evidence against him is...I don't think the Pats do this unless they have really solid inside info that this guy is in major trouble. 

Yea I agree. Guys don't get released this quickly unless its something super serious. Have to think he's getting charged with murder or accessory or something of that nature. Even there though, Lewis was charged with murder and didn't get released. Same goes w/ other idiots like the Cowboys' Josh Brent. He didn't get released either. 

Edited by ghdi

Murder was the case that they gave him. Hernandez is done.

Almost definitely, but you can never say never in this day and age...just ask OJ and Ray "What happened to my white suit?" Lewis. 

Almost definitely, but you can never say never in this day and age...just ask OJ and Ray "What happened to my white suit?" Lewis. 

Sure, definitely, but another historical reference is Rae Carruth.

Sounds like the prosecutor here has tons of evidence.

yeah i think its save to say that his career is over with. even if he gets off free and clear, the new 'boycott' nfl will blacklist him.

Nah, no way. If he gets off free and clear, there will be multiple teams interested in him. Some team will give him a chance. This is a league with 29 arrests alone since the Super Bowl.

The way the case was presented at arraignment, it sounds like its gonna take a miracle for him to get off free and clear in the first place.

Nah, no way. If he gets off free and clear, there will be multiple teams interested in him. Some team will give him a chance. This is a league with 29 arrests alone since the Super Bowl.

Let me again say, AH is innocent until proven guilty.

That said, from all the details that have been released\revealed in this investigation.. reaching a guilty verdict seems to be only a matter of time. What I find absolutely fascinating, is that no one else has been charged along with AH in this homicide case. What I believe.. and I'm just speculating here.. is that the other 2 men that were with Hernandez that night, sung like birds to the authorities over the last 9 days. -which is why everyday, there seemed to be a new development. (obtaining the video from the rent-a-car.. searching his home.. searching the pond.. etc.) The Massachusetts police made it very difficult for all 3 men to remain in contact with eachother to get their stories straight, and once that happens, you get deeper and deeper.

Aaron Hernandez is going to go away for a long time. Longer than Vick.. longer than Plaxico.. longer than anyone the NFL has exampled in recent years. The evidence on Hernandez is so thick, it'll take an OJ miracle to get off scott-free.

I'd still wait and see before assuming a suspension for Hernandez.

..how bout now?

Brady won three SB's with Deion Branch as his main receiver, he doesn't need anything to cement his legacy.

..just echoing the sentiments

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000215058/article/billick-instant-enshrinement-for-brady-if-patriots-thrive

?? meaning

..meaning I highly doubt that Belicheat is going to want to field twice as many questions on Tebow. **Is he going to play TE? ** Is Tebow open to playing TE? ** Is the plan on Tebow to try him at TE? ** etc..

I actually think the sh!t with Hernandez puts more pressure in NE to release Tebow now more than ever. 1 circus-like storyline is enough to deal with heading into training camp. But Tebow puts it on a whole other level. He's not worth the distraction on his own as it is.. and quite frankly, the Hernandez\Gronkowski situation(s) emphasizes Tebow more-so, because it draws more questions to him changing positions.

The Pats need to use that roster spot on a TE. I doubt Tebow makes the final 53.

Edited by Beezer34

Never said he wasn't. Its not over by any means. A team will give him a chance if hes found not guilty in court tho or if it comes out that he had nothing to do w/ it, which is highly unlikely. A lesser charge is still possible too. 

Edited by ghdi

That said, from all the details that have been releasedrevealed in this investigation.. reaching a guilty verdict seems to be only a matter of time. What I find absolutely fascinating, is that no one else has been charged along with AH in this homicide case. What I believe.. and I'm just speculating here.. is that the other 2 men that were with Hernandez that night, sung like birds to the authorities over the last 9 days. -which is why everyday, there seemed to be a new development. Obtaining the video from the rent-a-car.. searching his home.. searching the pond.. etc. The Massachusetts police made it very difficult for all 3 men to remain in contact with eachother to get their stories straight, and once that happens, you get deeper and deeper.

Aaron Hernandez is going to go away for a long time. Longer than Vick.. longer than Plaxico.. longer than anyone the NFL has exampled in recent years. The evidence on Hernandez is so thick, it'll take an OJ miracle to get off scott-free.

I'd still wait and see before assuming a suspension for Hernandez.

..how bout now?

?? meaning

..meaning I highly doubt that Belicheat is going to want to field twice as many questions on Tebow. **Is he going to play TE? ** Is Tebow open to playing TE? ** Is the plan on Tebow to try him at TE? ** etc..

I actually think the sh!t with Hernandez puts more pressure in NE to release Tebow now more than ever. 1 circus-like storyline is enough to deal with heading into training camp. But Tebow puts it on a whole other level. He's not worth the distraction on his own as it is.. and quite frankly, the HernandezGronkowski situation(s) emphasizes Tebow more-so, because it draws more questions to him changing positions.

The Pats need to use that roster spot on a TE. I doubt Tebow makes the final 53.

The Patriots and Belichek already appear to be coming out of this unscathed from a PR perspective. The media focus has been on Hernandez himself with actually little mention of Kraft, Belichek or the Patriots as an organization. It was very much the same way with Plaxico and the Giants.

Now if Hernandez were on the Jets, you'd be hearing almost as much about Rex and Woody. It was the same thing with Tebow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Patriots and Belichek already appear to be coming out of this unscathed from a PR perspective. The media focus has been on Hernandez himself with actually little mention of Kraft, Belichek or the Patriots as an organization. It was very much the same way with Plaxico and the Giants.

Now if Hernandez were on the Jets, you'd be hearing almost as much about Rex and Woody. It was the same thing with Tebow.

i find the delight from jets fans rather funny. if u go on any of there forums its as though xmas came early

i find the delight from jets fans rather funny. if u go on any of there forums its as though xmas came early

Yes.. and I'd wager no Jet fan would have a problem admitting that either.

In the sense of the crime, I'm delighted to see justice served. In the sense of everything on the field, I'm delighted because it weakens a team that plays in my division. The TE tandem of Hernandez & Gronkowski broke multiple NFL records. -that's a fact! ..and despite the optimists theory’s on Gronk being ready for Week 1.. Weeks 3-4 seems more realistic. http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30836768/sports/player_news

The Pats haven't given up hope that Gronk will be ready for Week 1, but I'd assume it's a fanciful hope. Gronk isn't a Peterson-esque healer, and the Pats have every reason to exercise extreme caution with their game changing tight end.

In the wake of losing Hernandez, Gronkowski's importance\health to this team has tripled. I’m sure Belicheat will do all the slight of hand he can to create the illusion that Gronkowski will play against the Jets in September.. but if I were a betting man, I’d bet against it. The reality is that; of Tom Brady’s 400 receptions last year, 350 came by; Welker, Branch, Woodhead, Hernandez, Lloyd, & Gronkowski. He'll be without all 6 of the above mentioned players when he plays the Jets in Week 2. Historically, the Jets tend to make the postseason when they split with NE. The hope that Miami & Buffalo can be more competitive teams, and not just be "beat-em-ups" to the Pats, helps the Jets as I've stated before. There's no denying the fact that the door to the AFC East has cracked open.. and if there was any season to win the division with a 9-7 record, THIS is that season.

Edited by Beezer34

Did the Jets steal your lunch money, because you are Francesa like with these petty cheap shots. There is talk in EVERY social media outlet about this murder. I think Jets fans are a bit fed up with the media piling on them for petty little things, calling them a circus etc. What we're doing now is pointing to something and saying "Now THIS is what a fvcking circus looks like."

Let's not lose sight of the tragedy, a man was killed here. Nobody is delighted about that. The on field implications are what the Jets, as well as the entire rest of the AFC is buzzing about. However it really wouldn't shock me either if they found a way to just soldier on and win the division anyway.

..it really wouldn't shock me either if they found a way to just soldier on and win the division anyway.

..could happen, but I doubt it. 6 of NE’s wins came against the Division in 2012, and I don’t see that happening this year. As bad as the Jets were last season, we almost beat them 26-23 in OT. (if Hill doesn’t drop a pass standing still, it’s game over) Granted the Jets have lost Revis, and as such, their secondary has taken a hit.. but the losses of players like AH, Welker, Woodhead, Gronk, etc. negate that imo. Not-to-mention our improved front seven.

Miami has the most potential to sweep the Pats, and although the Bills are not juggernauts.. it helps that they play NE in Week 1.. #1 because; Gronk will almost certainly be held out.. and #2. because everyone’s 0-0 when it’s Week 1, and even losing record teams play their asses off and pull surprises.

Maybe I’m being overly generous here, but I really feel the Jets are going to surprise people in 2013. You can call me a homer, but if you check what I said during the offseason over the last 2 years.. I wasn’t exactly saying sunshiny things. (in fact I predicted losing record seasons) I don’t feel that way going into this season. I feel like I did in 2009.. when teams took the Jets lightly, and it cost them. This team has a very “under the radar” feel this year.. and until I see otherwise, I think the shine’s off the apple in NE. This is the year for the Jets to take the AFC East. They will kick themselves if they fail.

..it really wouldn't shock me either if they found a way to just soldier on and win the division anyway.

..could happen, but I doubt it. 6 of NE’s wins came against the Division in 2012, and I don’t see that happening this year. As bad as the Jets were last season, we almost beat them 26-23 in OT. (if Hill doesn’t drop a pass standing still, it’s game over) Granted the Jets have lost Revis, and as such, their secondary has taken a hit.. but the losses of players like AH, Welker, Woodhead, Gronk, etc. negate that imo. Not-to-mention our improved front seven.

Miami has the most potential to sweep the Pats, and although the Bills are not juggernauts.. it helps that they play NE in Week 1.. #1 because; Gronk will almost certainly be held out.. and #2. because everyone’s 0-0 when it’s Week 1, and even losing record teams play their asses off and pull surprises.

Maybe I’m being overly generous here, but I really feel the Jets are going to surprise people in 2013. You can call me a homer, but if you check what I said during the offseason over the last 2 years.. I wasn’t exactly saying sunshiny things. (in fact I predicted losing record seasons) I don’t feel that way going into this season. I feel like I did in 2009.. when teams took the Jets lightly, and it cost them. This team has a very “under the radar” feel this year.. and until I see otherwise, I think the shine’s off the apple in NE. This is the year for the Jets to take the AFC East. They will kick themselves if they fail.

NE will win the division easily. Don't think any other AFC East team makes the playoffs. You would think the Phins will improve, but the early schedule is brutal. You get in a hole like the Phins might, it's very hard to get out of.

Never said he wasn't. Its not over by any means. A team will give him a chance if hes found not guilty in court tho or if it comes out that he had nothing to do w/ it, which is highly unlikely. A lesser charge is still possible too.

What's more likely is his high-priced attorneys get him off the hook on some technicality like OJ but with the evidence that's already out there (as well as Hernandez's own behavior) he'll be a pariah even if he goes free. The only guy he's going to catch passes from in the near future is from Paul Crewe against the guards.

I wouldn't count the Pats out yet either, especially if Gronk gets back quickly and Brady revives the career of Jake Ballard, although its more likely they lean on Ridley and their 99 other backs and try to be a power running team.

The last time the AFC East was truly up for grabs we handed it to Chad Pennington :P I don't think the Pats woes change the fact we're probably the least talented team in the division still, though Miami and Buffalo don't have great QB situations either.

Re:  the "fall" of the Pats, as long as they've got Brady (who has yet to show signs of decline), it's hard to think that they're just going to fall completely apart.  Brady's worked with "meh" receivers before and gotten results.

That being said, this team averaged 529 points per regular season over the last three years (33 points-per-game over that time).  It's been well chronicled that the postseason has seen that high-powered offense sputter in recent years, but the question is what happens if the Patriot offense is suddenly averaging closer to the mid-20s in PPG?  Because Pats have averaged 20.5 PPG against in the same three seasons.  Clearly the overall point differential over the last few seasons has been huge, and that helped to cover up for a mediocre-to-bad Patriot defense a lot the past few years.  QBs of almost all skill levels have not had much trouble carving up the Patriots' defense...yes, the NFL seems to be making life harder for defensive players on an almost yearly basis, but the Patriot D has been a shaky unit for several years now. 

What it boils down to is that the Patriots will probably score somewhere in the low 400s in points-for (I can't see them putting up 500+ for a fourth straight year), which is not bad (should be top 10), but the question becomes can the D give up less?  Since the Pats will probably need more offensive possessions per game to put up points, can the NE D get opposing offenses off the field faster?  The Pat D's strongest attribute is that they gave up a relatively low number of points in relation to the number of yards they allowed, but this year they will have to cut down on their opponents' time of possession, and allow fewer long and sustained drives.  If they can't do that, they're probably a 10-win team, and not the 14-, 13-, or 12-win team they were the last three years.  And of course, it has yet to be seen how Hernandez's off-the-field situation affects them...no one will know until they take the field.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Pats offering exchanges, free-of-charge, to any fans who want to trade in their Hernandez jerseys for a different Patriot.  Good move on their part.

The AFC East is a fvckhole of a division. Its still the Patriots' to lose.

The Jets and Bills are straight trash. The Dolphins could be the surprise here but I think they're a year away from really doing anything noteworthy, could steal the division if NE struggles though.

Pats offering exchanges, free-of-charge, to any fans who want to trade in their Hernandez jerseys for a different Patriot.  Good move on their part.

This article is absolute genius and sums up my feelings on the New England way of doing business perfectly. Its all horsesh!t.

This article is absolute genius and sums up my feelings on the New England way of doing business perfectly. Its all horsesh!t.

Honestly, this is crap, and I'm not a Pats fan. Virtually every team will take a shot at a player with a troubled past and character issues. You really have no choice, if you want to field a competitive team. All the jock sniffers at espn and on Mike and Mike have to realize that a large chunk of the NFL are 85 IQ troglodytes. Morris Claiborne got something like a 4 on his Wonderlic test. Just to get a sense of how embarrassing that is, I urge you to look at how easy a lot of the questions are.

It isn't the NFL's fault by the way. From a very young age, star athletes, for the most part, get to do whatever they want, and no one says boo unless they really, really screw up. Then you have these SEC programs, or Mr. Happyface slime ball Pete Caroll, sit there with a straight face and say these football players, many of whom can barely read, are "student athletes". Unfortunately, Aaron Hernandez type personalities are pretty common in the NFL, he just took aggression and stupidity to a whole new level. That's just what the pool of talent is. And until this happened, fans of every other team were probably cursing their own GM for passing up on Hernandez in the draft. I know I did.

Edited by Daniel

Honestly, this is crap, and I'm not a Pats fan. Virtually every team will take a shot at a player with a troubled past and character issues. You really have no choice, if you want to field a competitive team. All the jock sniffers at espn and on Mike and Mike have to realize that a large chunk of the NFL are 85 IQ troglodytes. Morris Claiborne got something like a 4 on his Wonderlic test. Just to get a sense of how embarrassing that is, I urge you to look at how easy a lot of the questions are. It isn't the NFL's fault by the way. From a very young age, star athletes, for the most part, get to do whatever they want, and no one says boo unless they really, really screw up. Then you have these SEC programs, or Mr. Happyface slime ball Pete Caroll, sit there with a straight face and say these football players, many of whom can barely read, are "student athletes". Unfortunately, Aaron Hernandez type personalities are pretty common in the NFL, he just took aggression and stupidity to a whole new level. That's just what the pool of talent is. And until this happened, fans of every other team were probably cursing their own GM for passing up on Hernandez in the draft. I know I did. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did you even read the article you were linked to lol? This entire thing you posted directly ties in to one of the points the author was making:

You know what I don't think about when I think about the Patriots? INTEGRITY. I don't think about that because no football team can possibly keep 50 Mother Teresas on its roster and hope to win a football game. Mother Teresa is dead and can't catch the ball for sh!t. Like any business, NFL teams choose employees based on value. If their personal baggage outweighs their on-field value (or if they can't play because they'll be spending the next 40 years in Poundtown), they let them go. There is a fundamental misunderstanding of what the "Patriot Way" is here. It doesn't mean WE ONLY START UNDRAFTED HUSTLE PLAYERS NO GLORY BOYS, it means, "we will be the most bloodlessly unsentimental team in football and that will be how we win." It's not some magical torah of rules for winning both in football and life. It's just a business plan. Taken in that context, drafting Aaron Hernandez makes perfect sense.

The linked article is a deconstruction of a POS ESPN article.

Edited by ghdi

Honestly, this is crap, and I'm not a Pats fan. Virtually every team will take a shot at a player with a troubled past and character issues. You really have no choice, if you want to field a competitive team. All the jock sniffers at espn and on Mike and Mike have to realize that a large chunk of the NFL are 85 IQ troglodytes. Morris Claiborne got something like a 4 on his Wonderlic test. Just to get a sense of how embarrassing that is, I urge you to look at how easy a lot of the questions are. It isn't the NFL's fault by the way. From a very young age, star athletes, for the most part, get to do whatever they want, and no one says boo unless they really, really screw up. Then you have these SEC programs, or Mr. Happyface slime ball Pete Caroll, sit there with a straight face and say these football players, many of whom can barely read, are "student athletes". Unfortunately, Aaron Hernandez type personalities are pretty common in the NFL, he just took aggression and stupidity to a whole new level. That's just what the pool of talent is. And until this happened, fans of every other team were probably cursing their own GM for passing up on Hernandez in the draft. I know I did. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did you even read the article you were linked to lol? This entire thing you posted directly ties in to one of the points the author was making:

You know what I don't think about when I think about the Patriots? INTEGRITY. I don't think about that because no football team can possibly keep 50 Mother Teresas on its roster and hope to win a football game. Mother Teresa is dead and can't catch the ball for sh!t. Like any business, NFL teams choose employees based on value. If their personal baggage outweighs their on-field value (or if they can't play because they'll be spending the next 40 years in Poundtown), they let them go. There is a fundamental misunderstanding of what the "Patriot Way" is here. It doesn't mean WE ONLY START UNDRAFTED HUSTLE PLAYERS NO GLORY BOYS, it means, "we will be the most bloodlessly unsentimental team in football and that will be how we win." It's not some magical torah of rules for winning both in football and life. It's just a business plan. Taken in that context, drafting Aaron Hernandez makes perfect sense.

The linked article is a deconstruction of a POS ESPN article.

The whole thing was Pats/Belichek schadenfreude, or at least that's the way I saw it.

The whole thing was Pats/Belichek schadenfreude, or at least that's the way I saw it. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Read the article. The only schadenfreude is towards its critical target, an ESPN writer, not the Patriots. If anything, it says "I understand" in respect to the way the Pats and every NFL team do business.