2013 Miami Dolphins Thread

Daniel

I'll start the thread with the news that Starks has been franchised.  I guess it confirms what we already know that Jake Long is probably gone.  I say probably in that I'm starting to get the sense that most teams are balking at giving out big deals for non-QBs, after seeing deals to Mario Williams, Haynesworth, Free, blow up in teams' faces.  If Long doesn't end up getting a mega deal from some other team, I could see him agreeing to a shorter term deal at a reasonable price with the Phins.  Best case scenario in that I would hate to give up on someone who was arguably the best left tackle in football for a few years.

I was talking to Dolphin fan who very much thought the key to the Fins success for re-signing Long.   He made the claim that the Dolphins offense is much different team when he is healthy.    Not sure if he was healthy while Reggie Bush was leading the league in rushing through the first 5 weeks.   Is this true?

I was talking to Dolphin fan who very much thought the key to the Fins success for re-signing Long. He made the claim that the Dolphins offense is much different team when he is healthy. Not sure if he was healthy while Reggie Bush was leading the league in rushing through the first 5 weeks. Is this true?

You were talking to an absolute moron then. The key to success for the Dolphins is surrounding Ryan Tannehill with playmakers, not overpaying for broken down offensive linemen. Trust me, we'll survive losing Jake Long if he leaves. Edited by MadDog2020

You were talking to an absolute moron then. The key to success for the Dolphins is surrounding Ryan Tannehill with playmakers, not overpaying for broken down offensive linemen. Trust me, we'll survive losing Jake Long if he leaves.

When did Long get hurt?  Early in the season or late in the season?

He missed the last four games of the season, and was gimpy while he was playing, although virtually everyone is. The O-Line was noticeably better or worse without him.

Looks like the Phins are close to re-signing Hartline.  Rumored that deal will be $6 million cap hit, bringing cap space to about $28 million. 

Yeah, I had heard Rosenhaus hinted they were near a deal on his weekly TV spot down there on Sunday night. Good by me. Now bring me Mike Wallace. Hartline on the other side of Wallace with Bess in the slot sounds nice. Add Jared Cook, because we have the money for him too if we so choose. Draft a corner in the first round. Then we'll be cooking with some gas.

You were talking to an absolute moron then. The key to success for the Dolphins is surrounding Ryan Tannehill with playmakers, not overpaying for broken down offensive linemen. Trust me, we'll survive losing Jake Long if he leaves.

Daniel said it, but yeah Long missed the last 4 games with the torn tricep. When he was on the field, he was being abused by the likes of elite talents like Matt Shaughnessy and the ghost of Shawne Merriman. I found myself screaming at Long last year more than ever before. His decline has been pretty steep in the last two years.

Daniel said it, but yeah Long missed the last 4 games with the torn tricep. When he was on the field, he was being abused by the likes of elite talents like Matt Shaughnessy and the ghost of Shawne Merriman. I found myself screaming at Long last year more than ever before. His decline has been pretty steep in the last two years.

Ouch.

Enough said about Long then.

Ouch.

Enough said about Long then.

FWIW, James Andrews gave Long a clean bill of health, so perhaps he may capture is old form.  Of course, he also gave the thumbs up for RGIII to go back into the game on half a knee, so knows how much you can trust what he says.

Great news that the Phins have re-signed Matt Moore.  A great backup that might have good trade value if Tannehill actually turns into the franchise quarterback everyone is hoping for.

Also, maddog, is Finheaven a total joke?  Seems like they have their own version of the guy who knows the CAA security guard, claiming that the Dolphins are going to trade for Larry Fitzgerald.

Great news that the Phins have re-signed Matt Moore.  A great backup that might have good trade value if Tannehill actually turns into the franchise quarterback everyone is hoping for.

Also, maddog, is Finheaven a total joke?  Seems like they have their own version of the guy who knows the CAA security guard, claiming that the Dolphins are going to trade for Larry Fitzgerald.

GREAT news about Moore re-signing, I thought he'd bolt for a chance to start, which he would've had on a number of teams. That's awesome that he decided to stay, it speaks well of Philbin and his staff. And yeah, Finheaven is loaded with tools. That guy Enduro always shows up claiming to have inside info. He first posted about Fitzgerald in January. He's full of it.

While, I completely refuse to believe it until it's 100% confirmed...let's say, for argument's sake, it's true. Who else are the Phins adding? Or is this it? Cause really, while just having Wallace on the field will help our offense...we need more help than 1 WR.

While, I completely refuse to believe it until it's 100% confirmed...let's say, for argument's sake, it's true. Who else are the Phins adding? Or is this it? Cause really, while just having Wallace on the field will help our offense...we need more help than 1 WR.

The receiving corps is good enough, but perhaps not elite, if you only add Wallace.  Hartline is a good number 2 receiver, Bess is an adequate but unspectacular slot receiver.  At this point, the plan is to probably upgrade the TE position with a guy like Cook, and maybe draft a receiver like Keenan Allan or Patterson with the no. 12 overall pick.

The receiving corps is good enough, but perhaps not elite, if you only add Wallace.  Hartline is a good number 2 receiver, Bess is an adequate but unspectacular slot receiver.  At this point, the plan is to probably upgrade the TE position with a guy like Cook, and maybe draft a receiver like Keenan Allan or Patterson with the no. 12 overall pick.

I think Allan is a REACH at 12. Gives me Ginn flashbacks all over again...and Patterson won't be there (although if he somehow is then that would be unreal). I've been hearing Gibson's name popping up too...but it looks like there are a lot more teams interested in him. I'm honestly more worried about our D than our O if we land Wallance. Our secondary needs a lot of help.

I think Allan is a REACH at 12. Gives me Ginn flashbacks all over again...and Patterson won't be there (although if he somehow is then that would be unreal). I've been hearing Gibson's name popping up too...but it looks like there are a lot more teams interested in him. I'm honestly more worried about our D than our O if we land Wallance. Our secondary needs a lot of help.

I've come to the conclusion that except when you're talking about the elite corners, cornerbacks are interchangeable in the way that relievers in baseball are.  Probably 90 percent of the NFL needs an upgrade in the secondary.  Sometimes corners get hot or lucky in a particular season, but basically, the rules give corners an impossible job.  Unless you're talking about Revis, the marginal return on a corner is pretty low.  I'd rather look for a pass rushing beast in the draft than overpay for someone like Sean Smith. 

For the draft, I'd go with best player available.  While drafting O-linemen seems to be an Ireland fetish, they say Chance Warmack will be a perenial all-pro guard. 

NFL.com is also reporting Wallace's agreement.  Final signature is pending physical.

I'm mildly worried that we overpaid for him and his mercurial attitude, especially since we could have thrown that money and a 2nd at Victor Cruz, but he's got the physical goods when healthy.

EDIT: My bet is we're shooting for Dee Milliner from Alabama at #12.  But we ultimately need a tackle, 1-3 corners, and it'd be nice to have a tight end with elite possession stats.  With 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, we can probably address these needs in the draft, but I'd rather see them sign a CB or two.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!