2013 Miami Dolphins Thread

Daniel

Did we watch the same game tonight Daniel? RT threw nearly 30 completions, for 220+.. and 2 TD passes. His only interception came on a hail-mary, otherwise no other picks, fumbles or turnovers whatsoever.

I'll give you the fact that his numbers weren't star-studded, but again.. THE GUY HAS ABSOLUTELY NO OFFENSIVE LINE! They ran for 2 yards the entire game! Who\Where did Tannehill get help from tonight??

The yards-per-attempt were low (only 5.45). 

But yeah, Tannehill didn't get much help at all. 

All things considered Daniel, Tannehill IS showing improvement in his second year.  His numbers are going to better this season than last.  Granted, it's almost Sanchez-like, in that his second-year numbers were just about guaranteed to be better over his first, but he's probably going to finish with about 3800-3900 passing yards and 23 TD passes.  Not great in today's bloated QB stats NFL, but steps in the right direction.

Yeah, next season, you'd like to see significant progress (and he's not young for a second-year guy...already 25 years old), but for a guy with 25 NFL games under his belt, on a team that clearly has holes and now has this whole other mess to deal with, he's not really doing THAT bad.  Could be a lot worse. 

I have a friend who is positive the Dolphins tipped every single play with the QB's cadence. As simple as "Go" being a run and "Go Go" being a pass.

If that's true, that falls on the coaching staff...they have to be aware of such things.

This coaching staff is a fvcking joke. Get the all the fvck away from my franchise. Go ruin some other team you fvckbags. And Jeff Ireland- if I see you crossing the street, I'm putting that sh!t to the floor motherfvcker. My God what a disaster this franchise is. Makes me wanna puke.

I have a friend who is positive the Dolphins tipped every single play with the QB's cadence. As simple as "Go" being a run and "Go Go" being a pass.

I've read about that too.  How much it matters from a nuts and bolts standpoint I can't tell you.  I mean, it seems so obvious that a coaching staff that managed to make it to the NFL would do something about it, if it effected the outcome.

This coaching staff is a fvcking joke. Get the all the fvck away from my franchise. Go ruin some other team you fvckbags. And Jeff Ireland- if I see you crossing the street, I'm putting that sh!t to the floor motherfvcker. My God what a disaster this franchise is. Makes me wanna puke.

The biggest mistake by far was getting rid of Brandon Marshall.  I couldn't tell you whether that was more of a Philbin or Ireland move, as I've heard both. 

If your passing game is going to be built around short to medium yard attempts, I don't see what Wallace adds to the equation. 

It's kind of comical that the best Dolphins have looked the past 10 years is the 6-3 record in 2011 with Matt Moore leading the team. Very easily could finished 8-1. Sparano was not fired after the 0-7 start, but really got this team going in the last 9 games. I thought they were building something, but they went in a different direction with coach and QB.

It's kind of comical that the best Dolphins have looked the past 10 years is the 6-3 record in 2011 with Matt Moore leading the team. Very easily could finished 8-1. Sparano was not fired after the 0-7 start, but really got this team going in the last 9 games. I thought they were building something, but they went in a different direction with coach and QB.

Actually the best they've looked in the last 10 years was 2008 with Pennington when we won the division. Nothing that happened in 2011 after 0-7 means jack sh!t. All that did was cost us Luck.

Actually the best they've looked in the last 10 years was 2008 with Pennington when we won the division. Nothing that happened in 2011 after 0-7 means jack sh!t. All that did was cost us Luck.

It certainly did, and you usually need to bottom out to get a franchise QB like Peyton, Luck, Newton, etc. Being a treadmill team can be a disaster. But I still think the team was playing better football those last 9 games than the 2008 Dolphins that went 9-1 to finish the season.

That Dolphin teams great run included squeaking by the 4-12 Seahawks, the 5-11 Raiders, and the 7-9 49ers at home, and the 2-14 Rams and Chiefs on the road.

Edited by devilsrule33

It certainly did, and you usually need to bottom out to get a franchise QB like Peyton, Luck, Newton, etc. Being a treadmill team can be a disaster.

Not necessarily.  I'm not talking about a team like the Pats, who got stupidly lucky with Brady (you don't draft a guy 199th overall thinking you have a franchise QB.  Bledsoe was their guy, happened to not only get hurt, but got hurt badly enough that he was out for an extended period). 

Big Ben was drafted #11 overall in his draft.

Rodgers was picked #24

Flacco was picked #18

Wilson was picked #75

And we've seen our share of top-5ers who go on to become complete zilches. 

Let me preface this by saying; this is in NO WAY meant to bust balls..

As a Jets fan, it's easy to see why I would look back on TS's tenure as the Jets OC with distain. The 2012 Jets finished 6-10, and their offense ended the season ranked 31st. However.. I seriously don't know how anyone who's a Dolphins fan can not look fondly at the time Tony Sparano was the Head Coach. Miami was 1-15 when he took over.. yet the franchise gave him 59 games of a sample size before pulling the plug? This is an organization (and again, please don't take this the wrong way) that has had only 1 winning season since 2006. Not-with-standing, the man still won 30 games in the 3¾ seasons he was there. He won you a Division title, something Rex Ryan can't even say. He's the only coach since Wannstedt (over a decade ago) to take you to the playoffs.. and yet everyone sh!ts on him.

I just don't get it.

Edited by Beezer34

Tony Sparano was utterly CLUELESS as a gameday coach Beez. CLUELESS. Horrible clock management. Horrible use of time-outs. Horrible decisions on whether or not to go for it on 4th down. He couldn't be a worse gameday coach if he tried. Tony Sparano was a fvcking joke as a head coach.

Let me preface this by saying; this is in NO WAY meant to bust balls..

As a Jets fan, it's easy to see why I would look back on TS's tenure as the Jets OC with distain. The 2012 Jets finished 6-10, and their offense ended the season ranked 31st. However.. I seriously don't know how anyone who's a Dolphins fan can not look fondly at the time Tony Sparano was the Head Coach. Miami was 1-15 when he took over.. yet the franchise gave him 60 games of a sample size before pulling the plug? This is an organization (and again, please don't take this the wrong way) that has had only 1 winning season since 2006. Not-with-standing, the man still won 30 games in the 3¾ seasons he was there. He won you a Division title, something Rex Ryan can't even say. He's the only coach since Wannstedt (over a decade ago) to take you to the playoffs.. and yet everyone sh!ts on him.

I just don't get it.

In fairness, Brady being hurt that season had a lot to do with the 2008 division title, and even then, it came down to tiebreakers (conference record).  They beat the Pats 38-13 in Week 3, when the Pats were still trying to get used to Matt Cassel and were clearly out of sorts, despite being 2-0 heading into that game.  The Dolphins did have a good year that season, but if Brady had been healthy, Pats probably win 13 games that year, at least.   

Not necessarily.  I'm not talking about a team like the Pats, who got stupidly lucky with Brady (you don't draft a guy 199th overall thinking you have a franchise QB.  Bledsoe was their guy, happened to not only get hurt, but got hurt badly enough that he was out for an extended period). 

Big Ben was drafted #11 overall in his draft.

Rodgers was picked #24

Flacco was picked #18

Wilson was picked #75

And we've seen our share of top-5ers who go on to become complete zilches. 

You are correct. You can win in a number of ways in the NFL, and you can find great QBs all throughout the draft. But some of those picks were just bad evaluation. Aaron Rodgers should have gone #1 overall and was expected to for the most of his final college season before being passed by Alex Smith, and then 19 more teams. Russel Wilson was overlooked only because of his size. The same can be said for Drew Brees too.

If you added Joe Flacco to the Dolphins, how much better are they right now? 

The main thing is when you are a treadmill team like the Dolphins, you have to hit it out of the park with all your 1st-round picks, and if you draft a QB in the 1st round, he better damn be good.

dr33, I agree that if you draft a guy like Tannehill 8th overall, he'd be better be the real deal...it doesn't have to happen right away (Bledsoe was a #1 overall pick, and it wasn't until Year 4 that he really put it all together, though he showed flashes of what he could be at times in his first three seasons, and was almost the sole reason the Pats made the playoffs in his second year), but it HAS to happen. 

When you think about it, the Jets actually did a pretty good job overcoming Sanchez ultimately not working out...they got to two AFC Championship games in his first two seasons, and only really had one truly bad year with him as their starting QB (last season).  It's not often a team can bail on #5-overall QB pick like Sanchez (I know he got hurt, but had he remained healthy, I don't think he would've lasted long) and not have that move set them back for two or three seasons.  

dr33, I agree that if you draft a guy like Tannehill 8th overall, he'd be better be the real deal...it doesn't have to happen right away (Bledsoe was a #1 overall pick, and it wasn't until Year 4 that he really put it all together, though he showed flashes of what he could be at times in his first three seasons, and was almost the sole reason the Pats made the playoffs in his second year), but it HAS to happen. 

When you think about it, the Jets actually did a pretty good job overcoming Sanchez ultimately not working out...they got to two AFC Championship games in his first two seasons, and only really had one truly bad year with him as their starting QB (last season).  It's not often a team can bail on #5-overall QB pick like Sanchez (I know he got hurt, but had he remained healthy, I don't think he would've lasted long) and not have that move set them back for two or three seasons.  

It's easier to bail on a highly drafted QB now because of the rookie salary cap.  If one of the QBs in this draft is seen as a sure fire franchise QB, the Phins would have no problem drafting one.

You are correct. You can win in a number of ways in the NFL, and you can find great QBs all throughout the draft. But some of those picks were just bad evaluation. Aaron Rodgers should have gone #1 overall and was expected to for the most of his final college season before being passed by Alex Smith, and then 19 more teams. Russel Wilson was overlooked only because of his size. The same can be said for Drew Brees too.

If you added Joe Flacco to the Dolphins, how much better are they right now? 

The main thing is when you are a treadmill team like the Dolphins, you have to hit it out of the park with all your 1st-round picks, and if you draft a QB in the 1st round, he better damn be good.

There's a lot of revisionist history with Rodgers.  He was thought of as about equal with Alex Smith at the time, with Smith pulling away based on the monster year that he had at Utah.  Rodgers also spent a lot of time on the bench, and needed a lot of help with his footwork.  I think if Rodgers had got thrown into the ringer immediately like Smith, he might have had a career like Joey Harrington. 

It also took a lot of time for Brees to develop, to the point, as we all know, the Chargers drafted Eli, and traded for Rivers, when they felt Brees wasn't good enough. Of course, it's probably sour grapes on my part considering the Phins chose to draft Jamar Fletcher instead of Brees, and then decided on Culpepper the second time around.

It's easier to bail on a highly drafted QB now because of the rookie salary cap.  If one of the QBs in this draft is seen as a sure fire franchise QB, the Phins would have no problem drafting one.

Well a new GM will have a real opportunity to do that, but I don't know if it is worth it. It might be easy to do from a financial point of view, but 1st round picks are generally very good players. I don't think the Dolphins waste a 1st round pick on a QB unless it was a top 5 pick (it won't be). Instead you get help in the O-line and with so many good QBs coming out, you can probably find one in the 2nd round if you want to go that way. 

I've read about that too.  How much it matters from a nuts and bolts standpoint I can't tell you.  I mean, it seems so obvious that a coaching staff that managed to make it to the NFL would do something about it, if it effected the outcome.

The ESPN commentating staff saw it too and commented on it on the air.  Jerry was turning towards Pouncey to tell him when to snap, although I can't figure out why this was needed. 

I'd complain about the team's direction, but this scandal nonsense and the subpar performance by many of Ireland's signings has basically sealed the fate of everyone involved.  The line did not hold up their end, which changed the whole plan of the game on offense.  On defense, the linebackers are not getting it done, and that's not helping with the run game.  Wheeler and Ellerbe are missing tons of tackles and are ineffective in coverage.  A lot of the front four came back down to earth, too.  Oddly enough our secondary played well...Grimes, Jones, and Clemons appeared to do a lot right, and even the Carroll/Wilson duo didn't look bad out there (though Underwood and Wright are hardly world-beaters).  And obviously Rishard Matthews coming out is good news if he can keep it going and Gibson doesn't come back healthy or right.

But in the end, we're not going to score if we can't block.  Jerry had a horrendous game, and that coupled with our second-string RT/RG of Clabo and Garner just got overwhelmed (although I did catch ESPN trying to squeeze creative blitz packages into the fault of the line when it clearly wasn't). 

And for fvck's sake, cut bait on Daniel Thomas.  He's NOT the answer if you're looking for a power back.

Well a new GM will have a real opportunity to do that, but I don't know if it is worth it. It might be easy to do from a financial point of view, but 1st round picks are generally very good players. I don't think the Dolphins waste a 1st round pick on a QB unless it was a top 5 pick (it won't be). Instead you get help in the O-line and with so many good QBs coming out, you can probably find one in the 2nd round if you want to go that way. 

If you believe current projections, there's at least two or three 1st-round talents at the OT position in this draft's projected first 15 or so picks.  I'd hope said pick becomes the answer at either tackle position (we need two tackles I would say, McKinnie, while playing well in a small sample size, is 34)

The ESPN commentating staff saw it too and commented on it on the air.  Jerry was turning towards Pouncey to tell him when to snap, although I can't figure out why this was needed. 

I'd complain about the team's direction, but this scandal nonsense and the subpar performance by many of Ireland's signings has basically sealed the fate of everyone involved.  The line did not hold up their end, which changed the whole plan of the game on offense.  On defense, the linebackers are not getting it done, and that's not helping with the run game.  Wheeler and Ellerbe are missing tons of tackles and are ineffective in coverage.  A lot of the front four came back down to earth, too.  Oddly enough our secondary played well...Grimes, Jones, and Clemons appeared to do a lot right, and even the Carroll/Wilson duo didn't look bad out there (though Underwood and Wright are hardly world-beaters).  And obviously Rishard Matthews coming out is good news if he can keep it going and Gibson doesn't come back healthy or right.

But in the end, we're not going to score if we can't block.  Jerry had a horrendous game, and that coupled with our second-string RT/RG of Clabo and Garner just got overwhelmed (although I did catch ESPN trying to squeeze creative blitz packages into the fault of the line when it clearly wasn't). 

And for fvck's sake, cut bait on Daniel Thomas.  He's NOT the answer if you're looking for a power back.

Why Dion Jordan is not getting much playing time eludes me as well.  When he gets in the game, he's actually productive.

Why Dion Jordan is not getting much playing time eludes me as well. When he gets in the game, he's actually productive.

Because these coaches are inept at putting our best players in positions to succeed and utilize their strengths. Exhibit fvcking A is Mike Wallace being turned into a fvcking slot-style receiver who doesn't run a route longer than 5 yards. These coaches are about 4 brain collective brain cells ahead of Beavis and Butt-Head, and they're stubborn to boot. Stupid and stubborn is no way to go through life. And its certainly no way to coach a football team.

Because these coaches are inept at putting our best players in positions to succeed and utilize their strengths. Exhibit fvcking A is Mike Wallace being turned into a fvcking slot-style receiver who doesn't run a route longer than 5 yards. These coaches are about 4 brain collective brain cells ahead of Beavis and Butt-Head, and they're stubborn to boot. Stupid and stubborn is no way to go through life. And its certainly no way to coach a football team.

To be fair, you can't run a proper long route when you have 3 seconds to throw.  Of all the things that baffle me about this coaching staff, that one doesn't, since Tannehill isn't standing long enough usually to take deep shots.