2013 Miami Dolphins Thread

Daniel

Thank God. Good riddance to the dick hole that is Jeff Ireland. Now for who should replace this fvcking dipsh!t. Piloli is the first name to mind for me.

Maddog got his wish. Ireland's gone.

I'm pretty surprised about this. I really thought he'd get one more year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was on my way to the game when I heard the news. I almost drove off the road I was so happy lol.

Thank God. Good riddance to the dick hole that is Jeff Ireland. Now for who should replace this fvcking dipsh!t. Piloli is the first name to mind for me.

I was on my way to the game when I heard the news. I almost drove off the road I was so happy lol.

Like I say, for someone who thinks Tannehill was such a homerun, I'm surprised you're so thrilled about this.

Rumblings from Chris Johnson that he would welcome a trade although he hasn't requested one. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10261769/chris-johnson-says-tennessee-titans-wasting-prime-years-use-more

From watching him play (since he was on my fantasy team) it doesn't seem as if he's slowed down.  So, although running backs are risky, and the running game is not really fashionable right now, I would like the Phins to kick the tires on a trade.  Maybe two second rounders, or perhaps this year's first.

Rumblings from Chris Johnson that he would welcome a trade although he hasn't requested one.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10261769/chris-johnson-says-tennessee-titans-wasting-prime-years-use-more

From watching him play (since he was on my fantasy team) it doesn't seem as if he's slowed down. So, although running backs are risky, and the running game is not really fashionable right now, I would like the Phins to kick the tires on a trade. Maybe two second rounders, or perhaps this year's first.

Rofl, are you nuts? 2 seconds or a first for Chris fvcking Johnson? Lmfao, that's hilarious.

I wouldn't make that trade if I had a gun to my head.

Rofl, are you nuts? 2 seconds or a first for Chris fvcking Johnson? Lmfao, that's hilarious.

I wouldn't make that trade if I had a gun to my head.

Why do you say that?  Physically, he's in his prime.  He doesn't have the same stats that he once did is because he's the focal point of the opposing team's defense, or at least that's what appears to me to be the case when I watch Titans' games. 

Our running backs absolutely stink.  If you're of the opinion that Tannehill is a much better QB than he was in his first year when he had a good running back in Reggie Bush, a better running back than Reggie Bush will improve the offense a lot.  That is, even with Tannehill improving and having better receivers to throw to, the offense in terms of points and yardage was basically the same as it was in 2012.  I would say that the lack of a good running back is a big part of the explanation for getting the same overall results. 

You always have to think of it this way, if you had Chris Johnson sitting at number 18, or in the second round (not a perfect analogy, but you get the point), would you select him? 

Don't get me wrong Daniel- Chris Johnson would be fine. But he's close to 30 now and his production has fallen off the table since he signed that deal. The market for him will be a 3rd or a 4th, maybe even a later pick. A 1st or 2nd is lunacy. I'd skin the new GM alive if he made a deal like that.

Don't get me wrong Daniel- Chris Johnson would be fine. But he's close to 30 now and his production has fallen off the table since he signed that deal. The market for him will be a 3rd or a 4th, maybe even a later pick. A 1st or 2nd is lunacy. I'd skin the new GM alive if he made a deal like that.

Ok.  The first is probably a stretch, but at least this year's second, and something next, I don't think is.  The draft, even in the first round, is a crap shoot.  I don't have the inclination to do an analysis or look for one, but it seems like the success rate in the second versus the third round isn't all that much different. 

IMO, a second rounder really comes into play if you're looking to move up in the first or get more picks later. 

Daniel, since that good year he has under performed considering he talks a game that he is the best. He has BAD vision. That's always been his biggest issue.

It doesn't help when the box is often being stacked.

He's an upgrade for you guys but he is barely a top ten rb anymore since he broke 2,000 years once

Ok. The first is probably a stretch, but at least this year's second, and something next, I don't think is. The draft, even in the first round, is a crap shoot. I don't have the inclination to do an analysis or look for one, but it seems like the success rate in the second versus the third round isn't all that much different.

IMO, a second rounder really comes into play if you're looking to move up in the first or get more picks later.

This league is so open offensively now that running backs are a dime a dozen.  If you're going to spend big on a RB, it needs to be one of the top ones around (AP, for example); busting on an RB is a huge sunk opportunity cost to improve the rest of the roster. 

According to the article I posted over in the offseason thread, we have cap room of $28 million over 51 players.  The analysis makes it seem like Martin and Incognito are both on the books, when neither will be next year.  So with that money, plus the Incognito/Martin money, plus the suggestion that Mike Wallace gets a restructure, we need to find the following (draft or FA):

3-4 OL (both tackles, 1-2 guards depending on if you think D. Thomas will fill the spot opposite Nate Garner.  There's also the notion that we shift Pouncey to LG and sign another center, which I'm OK with if it saves $$$)

1 TE (even if you assume Keller is gone and Clay is a legit TE1, Sims and Egnew were both kind of uninspiring.)

Resign 1 of Soliai or Starks

Resign/Franchise Grimes

Fill all remaining starting holes with a warm body (Nolan Carroll or replacement, OL depth)

That's the absolute bare minimum.  That doesn't say anything about addressing the dumpster fire named Wheeler, discussing running game upgrades (this slide show (#4) suggests Anthony Dixon might be a legitimate upgrade over Daniel Thomas, and I'm inclined to agree if he's up for playing the occasional fullback), or dealing with the organizational decision to keep or let walk Chris Clemons.

A lot depends on our new GM and what philosophy he instills, but I could see us tied to Brandon Albert as our big signing, followed by resigning a lot of our free agents and making small-type moves.  I just don't see the need to trade/buy an expensive RB over keeping those picks and taking a shot on someone like an Andre Williams in the 2nd-3rd round area.

Ok.  The first is probably a stretch, but at least this year's second, and something next, I don't think is.  The draft, even in the first round, is a crap shoot.  I don't have the inclination to do an analysis or look for one, but it seems like the success rate in the second versus the third round isn't all that much different. 

The 1st is a crapshoot? Not really. You are going to get a good player most of the time when you have a pick in the 1st round. Looking at my favourite team since 2002.

2002 2 Julius Peppers Defensive end North Carolina Defensive Rookie of the Year, 5 Pro Bowl selections (20042005200620082009),[10][14] 4 All-Pro selections (2004,200620082009)

2003 8 Jordan Gross Offensive tackle Utah 2 Pro Bowl selections (20082010), All-Pro selection (2008)[10]

2004 28 Chris Gamble Cornerback Ohio State Pro Football Weekly All-Rookie Team selection.[10][15]

2005 14 Thomas Davis Linebacker Georgia

2006 27 DeAngelo Williams Running back Memphis Pro Bowl selection (2009),[10] All-Pro selection (2008)

2007 25 Jon Beason Linebacker Miami (FL) 3 Pro Bowl selections (200820092010),[10][16] 2 All-Pro selections (20082009)

2008 13 Jonathan Stewart Running back Oregon   2008 19 Jeff Otah Offensive tackle Pittsburgh [17]

2009No Pick — — [17]

2010No Pick — — [18]

2011 1 Cam Newton Quarterback Auburn Offensive Rookie of the Year, 2 Pro Bowl selections (2011), (2013),[10] NFL single-season record for most rushing touchdowns by a quarterback

2012 9 Luke Kuechly Linebacker Boston College Defensive Rookie of the Year,[10] Pro Bowl selection (2013), All-Pro selection (2013)

2013 14 Star Lotulelei Defensive tackle Utah

One miss in 11 drafts.

Edited by devilsrule33

Why do you say that?  Physically, he's in his prime.  He doesn't have the same stats that he once did is because he's the focal point of the opposing team's defense, or at least that's what appears to me to be the case when I watch Titans' games. 

Our running backs absolutely stink.  If you're of the opinion that Tannehill is a much better QB than he was in his first year when he had a good running back in Reggie Bush, a better running back than Reggie Bush will improve the offense a lot.  That is, even with Tannehill improving and having better receivers to throw to, the offense in terms of points and yardage was basically the same as it was in 2012.  I would say that the lack of a good running back is a big part of the explanation for getting the same overall results. 

You always have to think of it this way, if you had Chris Johnson sitting at number 18, or in the second round (not a perfect analogy, but you get the point), would you select him? 

Considering a running back wasn't DRAFTED into the 4th Round (and what a beast Eddie Lacy turned into).....giving up anything over a 3rd for a near-30 back is just pure madness....

Former Eagles QB coach Bill Lazor is the new OC: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2014/01/bill-lazor-is-dolphins-new-oc.html

I like the hire. He should be able to help Tannehill with his weaknesses as well.

This is encouraging if only because it shows that an in-demand young coordinator, that presumably has ambitions of being a head coach, has faith in what the Dolphins have in place, including Tannehill. 

• 2 weeks later...

Might as well mention that Dennis Hickey was named the new GM. Was with Tampa for 18 years, the last three as Director of Player Personnel. Don't know much about the guy, and reviews seem mixed around the league. I'll give him a chance. He's not Jeff Ireland, so he hwas that going for him. Also, he only got a 2-year deal, tying him to the hip of the head coach. Win or go fvck yourself.

And yes Daniel- without a doubt Martin is full of sh!t, and has been since the very beginning. The Wells report should confirm that.

Might as well mention that Dennis Hickey was named the new GM. Was with Tampa for 18 years, the last three as Director of Player Personnel. Don't know much about the guy, and reviews seem mixed around the league. I'll give him a chance. He's not Jeff Ireland, so he hwas that going for him. Also, he only got a 2-year deal, tying him to the hip of the head coach. Win or go fvck yourself.

And yes Daniel- without a doubt Martin is full of sh!t, and has been since the very beginning. The Wells report should confirm that.

Posted my feelings on Hickey in the general NFL offseason thread. My thoughts are basically the same. And if you think Tannehill is the guy, half of personnel dilemma is taken care of.

It almost kind of reminds me of Columbus. Howson was vilified as he was booted out the door, but it seems like he did a lot of smart things. Maybe we'll be saying the same thing about Ireland.

• 2 weeks later...

The Martin\Incognito investigation has concluded.. and it looks like the Martin camp wins!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10455447/miami-dolphins-bullying-report-released-richie-incognito-others-responsible-harassment

NFL investigator Ted Wells' search and inquiry on the Johnathan Martin -- Richie Incognito events, has officially been finalized. Wells' report on the Miami Dolphins' bullying scandal concluded that Richie Incognito, John Jerry and Mike Pouncey engaged in a pattern of harassment directed at not only Jonathan Martin, but another young Dolphins offensive lineman and an assistant trainer. The findings of Wells' report were released Friday, February 14. Wells said in a press release: "The Report finds that the assistant trainer repeatedly was the object of racial slurs and other racially derogatory language, that the other offensive lineman was subjected to homophobic name-calling and improper physical touching; and that Martin was taunted on a persistent basis with sexually explicit remarks about his sister and his mother and at times ridiculed with racial insults and other offensive comments." Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has already released a statement since Wells' report was submitted this morning. "We have just received the report from Ted Wells and will review it in detail before responding relative to the findings." Ross said. "When we asked the NFL to conduct this independent review, we felt it was important to take a step back and thoroughly research these serious allegations. As an organization, we are committed to a culture of team-first accountability and respect for one another."

Expect Jerry & Pouncey to be the next Ross casualties. At least this can now be put behind them, and the Dolphins organization can move on.

The Martin\Incognito investigation has concluded.. and it looks like the Martin camp wins!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10455447/miami-dolphins-bullying-report-released-richie-incognito-others-responsible-harassment

NFL investigator Ted Wells' search and inquiry on the Johnathan Martin -- Richie Incognito events, has officially been finalized. Wells' report on the Miami Dolphins' bullying scandal concluded that Richie Incognito, John Jerry and Mike Pouncey engaged in a pattern of harassment directed at not only Jonathan Martin, but another young Dolphins offensive lineman and an assistant trainer. The findings of Wells' report were released Friday, February 14. Wells said in a press release: "The Report finds that the assistant trainer repeatedly was the object of racial slurs and other racially derogatory language, that the other offensive lineman was subjected to homophobic name-calling and improper physical touching; and that Martin was taunted on a persistent basis with sexually explicit remarks about his sister and his mother and at times ridiculed with racial insults and other offensive comments." Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has already released a statement since Wells' report was submitted this morning. "We have just received the report from Ted Wells and will review it in detail before responding relative to the findings." Ross said. "When we asked the NFL to conduct this independent review, we felt it was important to take a step back and thoroughly research these serious allegations. As an organization, we are committed to a culture of team-first accountability and respect for one another."

Expect Jerry & Pouncey to be the next Ross casualties. At least this can now be put behind them, and the Dolphins organization can move on.

There is no way anything happens to Pouncey.  He's a Pro Bowl center on a crappy offensive line.

But really, unless the ESPN report is leaving something out, Wells report is garbage.  The texts that Martin sent, the pictures of him living it up in strip clubs that he was apparently "bullied" into going to, the fact that a stupid prank that has gotten pulled on everyone that caused him to storm out and leave... if that stuff is not even addressed in the report, you know that Wells just bought into everything Martin said without any skepticism at all, which is what a real neutral investigator is supposed to do.

Again though, I haven't seen the full text of Wells' report, so I'll ultimately reserve judgment.  We've seen ESPN and the other sports media try to make a narrative out of this from the very start and be very quiet about things that cut against that narrative.

Ultimately, I hope Ross gives a nice FU to the PC vultures.  The players will respect him a lot more that's for sure.   

And again, I've always thought Incognito was an overrated player and otherwise a big dumb animal.  It just boggles my mind what the PC police have managed to get their tentacles into.