2013 Miami Dolphins Thread

Daniel

I'll begin to forgive Ross when he shows a shred of competence in his role as owner and this fvcking franchise actually starts WINNING with some semblance of regularity. And not before that.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if someone is banging Aponte. That bitch has too much power for a 'capologist'.

Meh, where the owner is not making personnel decision or not being stingy with the checkbook, I generally won't blame him, or give him that much credit, for the win-loss record.  Jim Irsay is a big a clown as they get, but the Colts have been winning by being extremely lucky with sucking in the right years.  Kraft is seen as some kind of genius, but he was extremely lucky to be able to hire Belichik and that his team drafted Tom Brady.  Otherwise, he had a triple murderer on his team, and acted the blowhard with Wes Welker, so lets not pretend that he's Mr. Integrity or that he has any special insight on anything.

Before all this happened, you could really only fault Ross for handling the coaching search in an awkward way.  But he actually turned out to be right to have tried to do everything he could to land Jim Harbaugh, and it wasn't completely out of line to not put Jeff Fischer in control of the entire franchise. 

Here's a snippet of the O'Neill's version of events.  (Was behind Sun Sentinel's paywall).

When Miami Dolphins offensive linemen Richie Incognito, Mike Pouncey and John Jerry threw racial taunts at the team's assistant trainer last season, head trainer Kevin O'Neill did not stand idly by, as NFL investigator Ted Wells released in his report on the Miami Dolphins' locker room culture last Friday.

Nor, according to a source, did O'Neill, "allegedly [laugh] at some of the racial insults," as the report said, a claim even Wells seemed unsure of as the murky word, "allegedly" suggests.

O'Neill, the source says, did not hear any taunts. But when word of them reached him, O'Neill pulled Japanese-born assistant trainer, Naohisa Inoue, into his office, closed the door and talked directly to him.

"How do you want to handle this?" O'Neill asked Inoue. "Do you want to handle this yourself? Or do you want me to intervene?"

Inoue said he would take care of it. The next time Incognito started in on a racial taunt, Inoue told him to shut up using two expletives.

Incognito immediately apologized to Inoue, the source says. Incognito explained to the assistant trainer he didn't understand he had crossed the line between a locker-room joke and a racial taunt.

This wasn't in the Wells Report.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dave-hyde-0221-20140220,0,1638297.column

EDIT:  This is the best part.

Before meeting with Wells, the source said, O'Neill had asked Aponte if he needed a lawyer. Aponte, a lawyer, said he didn't. When he was fired on Wednesday, O'Neill was silent. Aponte asked if he had any questions.

"Talk to my lawyer," he said.

This story isn't over. Nor, it seems, is the ugliness.

Good lord is Aponte an absolute snake.

Edited by Daniel

I'd NEVER take Martin on my team personally....mental toughness is part of the game as well, he's proven he can't handle it....if he can't take crap from his teammates I can only imagine what that outside edge rusher is gonna say to him as he eats him alive and gets in the QB's face time and time again...it's a shame Goodell is such a lawyer and PR obsesser like he is, it's another witch hunt on his watch, just like the bounty disaster was.....

I'd NEVER take Martin on my team personally....mental toughness is part of the game as well, he's proven he can't handle it....if he can't take crap from his teammates I can only imagine what that outside edge rusher is gonna say to him as he eats him alive and gets in the QB's face time and time again...it's a shame Goodell is such a lawyer and PR obsesser like he is, it's another witch hunt on his watch, just like the bounty disaster was.....

Yup, but the Saints owner handled it very well.  He backed up his guys, and left it to Goodell to impose the punishment.  Ross and Medusa went out looking for some fall guys.  Hopefully one he picks turns out to be one of those people you shouldn't fvck with. 

Aponte is a reprehensible human being, that much is and has been clear to me. If I worked with her and knew which car she drove, I'd slash her tires.

She could be reprehensible if she were actually good at her job. Can any Jets fans tell us if she did anything of note there?

In the end, we'll see if this drama matters all that much when it comes to the win-loss record. O'Neill is a trainer, and Turner was a very average O-line coach if he even had an effect one way or the other. Even a lunatic like Al Davis could sometimes manage to put very good teams together, even after he started losing his marbles. The Jets also had some very good teams, even if they never made it far enough.

Where it might matter is when it comes to attracting front office, head coaching and maybe free agent talent. With a snake like Aponte whispering in the ear of a weak willed owner, you never know if or when the organization is going to throw you to the wolves, or even who you answer to in the first place. It's probably why the team bad to scrape the bottom of the barrel when it came to getting a new GM.

The Hyde article quotes a source that says that O'Neill was fired based on pressure from the league. Would you want to work for a company like that if you had any other choice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

She could be reprehensible if she were actually good at her job. Can any Jets fans tell us if she did anything of note there?

In the end, we'll see if this drama matters all that much when it comes to the win-loss record. O'Neill is a trainer, and Turner was a very average O-line coach if he even had an effect one way or the other. Even a lunatic like Al Davis could sometimes manage to put very good teams together, even after he started losing his marbles. The Jets also had some very good teams, even if they never made it far enough.

Where it might matter is when it comes to attracting front office, head coaching and maybe free agent talent. With a snake like Aponte whispering in the ear of a weak willed owner, you never know if or when the organization is going to throw you to the wolves, or even who you answer to in the first place. It's probably why the team bad to scrape the bottom of the barrel when it came to getting a new GM.

The Hyde article quotes a source that says that O'Neill was fired based on pressure from the league. Would you want to work for a company like that if you had any other choice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When Dawn Aponte was with the Jets no Jet fan would be able to pick her out of a lineup. 90% of us to this day have no idea she was employed by the Jets and in what capacity

More context to the narrative (or maybe the narrative is garbage and Ted Wells is a joke):

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/02/23/what-will-texans-with-top-pick/9EnOewbIMWk68ciYLdj0wI/story.html

One team source said that attorney Ted Wells, whose 144-page report on the situation was released nine days ago, was fairly dismissive of any team employee who showed support toward Incognito in their interviews with Wells. Assistant trainer Naohisa Inoue insisted repeatedly with Wells that he didn’t feel like he was the victim of bullying and racism. The much-publicized incident of Incognito, Mike Pouncey, and others wearing traditional Japanese headbands on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor was overblown, the source insisted — it was Inoue who gave the players those headbands that very morning.

Team officials never knew how much the pranks bothered Martin, as he was a willing participant in many of them, as well.

The tipping point for Martin allegedly was a cafeteria prank in which several players stood up from the table when Martin sat down. He slammed his tray on the ground, left the facility, and checked into a hospital for psychological treatment shortly thereafter.

Sources tell us that Martin not only often participated in that prank himself — he once did it to Philbin.

I'll give credit to some people in the press that are actually interested in getting the whole story.  They're few and far between though. 

Incognito checked himself into a mental hospital in Arizona. This after he took a baseball bat to his $300,000 Ferrari. His parents apparently just got divorced as well. Dude has just mentally maxed out. He may be an a$$hole, but I hope he gets the help he needs. And your parents divorcing at any age is a very tough thing to deal with, I've been through it.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 1m

MIA has been gauging trade value for '13 1st round pick Dion Jordan, league sources said, after trading up to 3rd overall for him last year

Lovely.

Yeah there was some buzz about this a couple months ago too. Apparently Philly loves Jordan and wanted to draft him last year (and of course Chip Kelly was Jordan's college coach at Oregon). So I wouldn't be shocked if something happens there with the Eagles.

Yeah there was some buzz about this a couple months ago too. Apparently Philly loves Jordan and wanted to draft him last year (and of course Chip Kelly was Jordan's college coach at Oregon). So I wouldn't be shocked if something happens there with the Eagles.

Glad our new GM is right on board with the Jeff Ireland school of buy high, sell low.

Think the Eagles will swap Lane Johnson for him?  Jordan WAS a higher draft pick after all, right?  :icon23:

On a more serious note, the buzz is that the Fins are working out deals with Grimes and Soliai right now, with the intent to let Starks test free agency.  There's also a report per ProFootballRumors.com that our new GM is publicly backing Pouncey, so it sounds like he's not going anywhere.

Yeah I read earlier Pouncey's club option for 2015 will be exercised. He's going nowhere. In fact, he was informed by the NFLPA he's 'not likely' to be suspended. He still may be, but the PA believes he won't be based on the info they have gathered. Salguero had that in the Miami Herald today. Re: Jordan for Johnson- I think they would do it. I don't know if I would do it from our perspective, but I think Philly would pull the trigger on that deal if offered it straight up.

It's a 4 year deal with no money released yet, but the guess is that the AAV will be around 8 Million.  Edit: Adam Scheff confirms 4/32/16

I'm not thrilled to give out four years unless all the guaranteed money is in the front end of the deal, but for now we have our top DB back in the fold and can address other needs through free agency, as well as deciding on re-signing Starks/Soliai.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

According to NFL.com, Dolphins' interest in Jarius Byrd is "very real", along with their interest in Brandon Albert.

I know we need a new safety with Clemons gone, but couldn't we use some of our money to address, I dunno, both our guard positions? 

Is there enough cap space to get Byrd, Albert and a guard (maybe Zane Beadles)?  In the end though, you can't really put a whole o-line together with top price free agents in one offseason. 

And it always seemed to me that O-line could be fluky from year to year both for better and worse.  So I don't know how inclined I would be to put all eggs in that basket.