Your thoughts on our chances to re-sign Clarky

SterioDesign

Even though i still don't really like Clarkson, he's a very useful player and he knows it. I'm a bit worried about him signing elsewhere this summer. Even though on one side he seems loyal and considering Lou gave him a chance and everything and that he apparently loves this organization i think he would stay.

But on the other hand Clarkson seems incredibly selfish at time and i wouldnt be surprised if he'd like to get paid a lot and see what's out there especially since Toronto is starting to get something decent going, who knows.

Plus obviously Lou will wait few days before free agency to begin talks probably so if i'm a player, why not wait a few extra days and see my value on the market ?

Then in term of salary what do you guys think he's worth and what he will ask for?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As we have learned, business is business and when July 1st rolls around, players will take into consideration all the factors necessary to determine their future.

If the difference between the Devils and another team amounts to $500K or less, then I'm sure Clarky will take a home-team discount.

However, if someone throws stupid money at him I wouldn't be surprised to let him walk.

IMO, Clarkson, being VERY VERY VERY VERY generous, isn't worth more than $3.7 million per year.

If someone throws $5 million at him, he's gone.

As we have learned, business is business and when July 1st rolls around, players will take into consideration all the factors necessary to determine their future.

If the difference between the Devils and another team amounts to $500K or less, then I'm sure Clarky will take a home-team discount.

However, if someone throws stupid money at him I wouldn't be surprised to let him walk.

IMO, Clarkson, being VERY VERY VERY VERY generous, isn't worth more than $3.7 million per year.

If someone throws $5 million at him, he's gone.

clarkson could get 5m easily on the market, easily

If someone like Ville Leino can get what he got, there's no reason Clarkson can't get $5m, being the rare commodity that he is (even if he can't skate). I'd probably pay up to $5m but no more than that and that's just bc that's probably the only chance to keep him 

My gut tells me he really does like Jersey. He knows how lucky he is to be playing in the NHL and that Lou is the one that gave him the chance to do that. Deboer is the coach that made Clarkson what he is in the first place, and is the reason he even kept playing hockey. He's doing a TON of charity work in the area, is part of the Hockey in Newark program and has Clarky's Kids in the area also.

All those things leads me to believe he'll take a slight discount to stay in Jersey if Lou wants him to. I'm going to go a bit higher then SMantzas and say he signs for 4.5 mill per or if Lou thinks he can hold up to a longer contract 4 mill per.

4/18 or maybe 6/24.

If someone like Ville Leino can get what he got, there's no reason Clarkson can't get $5m, being the rare commodity that he is (even if he can't skate). I'd probably pay up to $5m but no more than that and that's just bc that's probably the only chance to keep him 

I can see him getting 5 mill...that's why I said with the discount maybe he'd stay in Jersey for 4.5

He'll stay and he'll know he's not worth $5M per. He deserves at least $3.5M per if not $4-4.5M if he can continue to score.  $5M is too high. Anything over $4.5 and I'd walk away from Clarkson. He definitely seems to guzzle the kool-aid though and he has always had great things to say about being here even when things were bad and even more so now that time are(were, depends on your outlook) good-er-ish.

i think his agent would have a fair case using Lucic's contract as a template, which is not good. 4m cap hit now and 6m when his extension kicks in next summer

Lucic is bigger, stronger and better than Clarkson. Clarkson is a 2nd tier power forward. He's good, not elite in any way, shape or form though. He honestly shouldn't be on our 1st line. I'd almost rather see him with Kovy, just so he can face weaker competition as opposed to being with Patty and getting the tough assignments.

He'll stay and he'll know he's not worth $5M per. He deserves at least $3.5M per if not $4-4.5M if he can continue to score.  $5M is too high. Anything over $4.5 and I'd walk away from Clarkson. He definitely seems to guzzle the kool-aid though and he has always had great things to say about being here even when things were bad and even more so now that time are(were, depends on your outlook) good-er-ish.

Lucic is bigger, stronger and better than Clarkson. Clarkson is a 2nd tier power forward. He's good, not elite in any way, shape or form though. He honestly shouldn't be on our 1st line. I'd almost rather see him with Kovy, just so he can face weaker competition as opposed to being with Patty and getting the tough assignments.

I know but Zach said all the same things.

And it was not my personal comparison but his agent will go for it and use the "facts" that works his way. i really hope we can keep him on a discount cause by experience we KNOW Clarkson could get crazy and unreal money on the market, just like half the signed agent during free agency

Power forwards who can hit, fight, score and are tough...the league would be falling over themselves to sign him. I can't see him signing for less than 4.5 AAV. He'd have to be damn stupid or have an incompetent agent to get less. If he has a decent continuation of the season he could push up close to Lucic-money.

Is he worth that though? Another discussion. But Clarkie will get paid bigtime.

I know but Zach said all the same things.

And it was not my personal comparison but his agent will go for it and use the "facts" that works his way. i really hope we can keep him on a discount cause by experience we KNOW Clarkson could get crazy and unreal money on the market, just like half the signed agent during free agency

Clarkson came in with nothing though. Parise knew he would be a good player who could cash in by season 2. Clarky was nowhere near a UFA commodity until last year, so now that he's seen how he was treated when he was not big, compared to now and he'll see nothing has changed here. He'll always be who he was here, not who he is now. If he goes somewhere else, he'll be seen as a 30 goal scorer and when he stops putting up numbers like that, that team and he will suffer for it, but staying here with a slightly discounted contract, he'll be able to drop to scoring 20 goals and we'll all still know that's just fine for him.

I don't get why people are under-valuing him. He brings an element to the game that not a lot of other players can do. He can fight, shoot, strong on the boards, and even makes a nifty pass when you don't expect it. Some may argue he's just in the right spot at the right times, but if it were anyone else, you'd be saying he has a good hockey sense. He's going to get 4/20.

Edited by Aznjsn

I don't get why people are under-valuing him. He brings an element to the game that not a lot of other players can do. He can fight, shoot, strong on the boards, and even makes a nifty pass when you don't expect it. Some may argue he's just in the right spot at the right times, but if it were anyone else, you'd be saying he has a good hockey sense. He's going to get 4/20.

Because he had one real good season and has scored well in the first 15 games and not so much since. He still has fluke written all over him until he does it again next year.

My gut tells me he really does like Jersey. He knows how lucky he is to be playing in the NHL and that Lou is the one that gave him the chance to do that. Deboer is the coach that made Clarkson what he is in the first place, and is the reason he even kept playing hockey. He's doing a TON of charity work in the area, is part of the Hockey in Newark program and has Clarky's Kids in the area also.

All those things leads me to believe he'll take a slight discount to stay in Jersey if Lou wants him to. I'm going to go a bit higher then SMantzas and say he signs for 4.5 mill per or if Lou thinks he can hold up to a longer contract 4 mill per.

4/18 or maybe 6/24.

I can see him getting 5 mill...that's why I said with the discount maybe he'd stay in Jersey for 4.5

For what it's worth, unless something has changed very recently, Clarky's Kids is based in Kitchener, Ontario and is run through the Kitchener Rangers.  Doesn't mean he doesn't do anything in the NJ area but I don't think his personal charity is going to make or break whether he remains a Devil.

The UFA market is pretty interesting actually, especially in the PF division. Perry, Horton, Clarkson, Clowe, and MacArthur are all UFAs. A lot of other interesting UFA forwards too, and every team's cap space is getting cut by like six million dollars. Add to that the fact that teams can't go over 7-8 years and we could see some interesting contracts.

I bet Clarkson returns to the Devils for like 8 years / 4 million per or something like that.

I would not pay over $5mill/year for Clarky.  I love the guy, but if I was going to overpay for somebody next year, it would be Perry

Yep, would rather have Perry @ $7-7.5M per than Clarky at $5M per. I would give Clarky anything between $3.75-4.75M, anything beyond that and forget it.

like i said i dont like Clarkson, mostly cause he's a whiner and a diver but losing him for our system would be horrible. I have to give credits where its due and he may not always produce but when he has the puck in the offensive zone he can usually keep it for awhile, so the longer we spend in their zone, the longer they are not in ours. He's really strong behind the net to knock off the puck