Your thoughts on our chances to re-sign Clarky

SterioDesign

like i said i dont like Clarkson, mostly cause he's a whiner and a diver but losing him for our system would be horrible. I have to give credits where its due and he may not always produce but when he has the puck in the offensive zone he can usually keep it for awhile, so the longer we spend in their zone, the longer they are not in ours. He's really strong behind the net to knock off the puck

His diving has been worse this year too. I've noticed it and I've been embarrassed for him a couple times now. I don't like it. I'm hoping it's just a side effect of all the penalties being called this year.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth, unless something has changed very recently, Clarky's Kids is based in Kitchener, Ontario and is run through the Kitchener Rangers.  Doesn't mean he doesn't do anything in the NJ area but I don't think his personal charity is going to make or break whether he remains a Devil.

Yes, he also has part of his charity started in Jersey too. They mentioned it during the intermission  when they were doing the bit on him. I know it started there and has always been there...they said last night he brought Clarky's Kids to Jersey

For what it's worth, unless something has changed very recently, Clarky's Kids is based in Kitchener, Ontario and is run through the Kitchener Rangers. Doesn't mean he doesn't do anything in the NJ area but I don't think his personal charity is going to make or break whether he remains a Devil.

Clarkson to sign with the rangers. e5

But on the other hand Clarkson seems incredibly selfish at time and i wouldnt be surprised if he'd like to get paid a lot and see what's out there especially since Toronto is starting to get something decent going, who knows.

Wow, "incredibly selfish."  If you are going to make such a statement I have to ask you to back it up. So examples please.

you guys are generous...I would not give him more than 2.5-3m

hes not worth anything more than that

So you're telling me that you're going to find another guy who scored 20+ goals, has 100+PIMS, hustles, hits and plays the system right for $2.5-3M?

You're nuts.

Find me an example of a better player than Clarkson for $2.5-3M per. No one on a 2nd contract they signed before breaking out, that doesn't count, as the contract they have isn't a good indicator of what they will get on their next contract.

Edited by ATLL765

Wow, "incredibly selfish."  If you are going to make such a statement I have to ask you to back it up. So examples please.

really ? lol tell me you never screamed at your tv for clarkson to pass the puck to an open man instead of trying to hold on to it until he can get a shot? or some selfish penalties he took that comes to mind

He's a must sign IMO. Just don't want them to break the bank on him. In any event I think he stays. He's comfortable here, he's active in the community here, the fans love him, his teammates love him, he's got a great relationship with the coach, and I think he's grateful to Lou for giving him the chance. I really think clarky is a guy that just wants to be a devil

really ? lol tell me you never screamed at your tv for clarkson to pass the puck to an open man instead of trying to hold on to it until he can get a shot? or some selfish penalties he took that comes to mind

That has more to do with his confidence in his passing ability than any character trait, imo.

As fans we would all love to get a Corey Perry. But as fans let's honestly try to imagine Lou making that type of signing.

Agreed. When thinking about what he brings to a team he really is what the devils need after losing Zach, but this is such a pipe dream. I feel like these types of players would only come to NJ if they had played here for a bit to see how nice it actually is, similar to kovy. Also I don't see Lou paying an outside player more than a current devil who has paid their dues with the club.

My bad, you clearly demonstrated that he is selfish, and incredibly selfish at that.

at this point we simply can't afford to lose Clarkson we have absolutely nothing coming our way other than Boucher and its up in the air if he'll translate to pros.

And for free agents we're not as attractive as we we're in the past either.

Agreed. When thinking about what he brings to a team he really is what the devils need after losing Zach, but this is such a pipe dream. I feel like these types of players would only come to NJ if they had played here for a bit to see how nice it actually is, similar to kovy. Also I don't see Lou paying an outside player more than a current devil who has paid their dues with the club.

I don't think it's a total pipe dream. I think Lou knows if Clarky puts up 20-25 goals this year, which is still possible, people will be all over him and wanting to drop $5+M and I guarantee you that Lou knows Clarky's real skill level and value and not wildly overpay. Plus, even if we resigned everyone at the same price next year, we'd have $6M in cap space. So if we know somebody isn't gonna sign, such as Clarkson, though I don't think that will be the case, it gives us room to pay someone $7M, like Perry.

I don't think it's a total pipe dream. I think Lou knows if Clarky puts up 20-25 goals this year, which is still possible, people will be all over him and wanting to drop $5+M and I guarantee you that Lou knows Clarky's real skill level and value and not wildly overpay. Plus, even if we resigned everyone at the same price next year, we'd have $6M in cap space. So if we know somebody isn't gonna sign, such as Clarkson, though I don't think that will be the case, it gives us room to pay someone $7M, like Perry.

I think we are going to have more cap space than we think this summer. I have a feelin tallinder gets traded at some point and that a-train might get bought out. Maybe not both, but I think at least 1 wud happen. Back to perry. I just don't see Lou offering anyone above 6m a season unless they have played for the team and he knows that they are compatible.

well if we "really" need more cap space it's absolutely not impossible to buy out Volchenkov next summer, he can be useful yes, but he's never been and will never be "4.2m helpful" especially not for another 3 years

OK, but this was a terrible deal lol.  We can't compare what the Devils should offer Clarkson to some other team who signed a horrible contract.  No way I see Clarkson leaving.  Yeah it's just an opinion, but that's all we can go off of for now.

If someone like Ville Leino can get what he got, there's no reason Clarkson can't get $5m, being the rare commodity that he is (even if he can't skate). I'd probably pay up to $5m but no more than that and that's just bc that's probably the only chance to keep him