Devils claim Tom Kostopoulos

RangersSuck23

Better than Janssen.  Probably equal to Barch (who has skated and played better than I thought he would coming into this season).  He's on a 2 way contract, so not much of a downside with this pickup, although he is the answer to none of our problems.  Plus, at 34, he probably brings the median age of this roster down a bit.

He's much better than Krys Barch, although at 34 he might be done.  Still, he's way better than Krys Barch.  If he can play like he did last year, Kostopoulos can at least fill in on the 3rd line if there's injuries. 

The joke is that you're not funny, original, or adding anything worthwhile to the discussion? Oh. Ok. Good one, then. You sure nailed it.

SOMEONE's riding the cotton pony :unsure:

or has sand in his foreskin is you prefer something more masculine :)

Edited by Pepperkorn
  • Like 2

u-mad17cc_1867.jpg

:troll1:

I apologize for being a stick-in-the-mud, but I'm frustrated with the Devils and I would much prefer to see some kind of intelligent discussion about how the team can start winning again, instead of a bunch of lame old jokes that aren't even relevant to what's going on being posted again and again. I mean, every single time there's a minor signing, trade, or waiver pick up, a bunch of people have to say some form of "Cup is ours now LOLOL". I'm just sick of it, is all. It's not funny, and it doesn't add to the discussion at all. But for calling people out for repeating this tired joke again and again, now I'm the bad guy. Sigh. Whatever.

Back to what I wanted to say earlier:

I really don't think this is as bad of a hit as the Detroit commentators are making it out to be. The one guy (sorry, don't know their names) keeps saying that Stuart was "vulnerable and defenseless". Okay, so anybody who is swinging at a loose puck can't be touched now? I think Kostopolous deserved a minor penalty for coming in as hard as he did, but I don't see any malicious intent nor do I think he was targeting the head. It looked like he hit him primarily in the chest to me. Stuart has to be a little more aware of his surroundings there. If he had braced for the hit he probably wouldn't have been injured. An unfortunate play for sure, but I agree with the decision to not give him any supplemental discipline for it.*

I don't know much about Kostopolous, but it seems like he can be an upgrade over some of our current 4th liners, so it can't hurt. If he stinks we can always put him right up for waivers again. I don't think he'll spark the team towards victory or anything, but any improvement is welcome at this point.

*Disregard - he was indeed suspended.

Edited by iamtheprodigy

He's much better than Krys Barch, although at 34 he might be done.  Still, he's way better than Krys Barch.  If he can play like he did last year, Kostopoulos can at least fill in on the 3rd line if there's injuries. 

I don't know much about this guy, and I hope you're right.  Seems like he at least has a little skill, which would be nice.  However, if he's done, then I doubt he's better than Barch because, for a "goon," Barch's not a total liability on the ice like some others (see CamJan).

:troll1:

I apologize for being a stick-in-the-mud, but I'm frustrated with the Devils and I would much prefer to see some kind of intelligent discussion about how the team can start winning again, instead of a bunch of lame old jokes that aren't even relevant to what's going on being posted again and again. I mean, every single time there's a minor signing, trade, or waiver pick up, a bunch of people have to say some form of "Cup is ours now LOLOL". I'm just sick of it, is all. It's not funny, and it doesn't add to the discussion at all. But for calling people out for repeating this tired joke again and again, now I'm the bad guy. Sigh. Whatever.

Back to what I wanted to say earlier:

I really don't think this is as bad of a hit as the Detroit commentators are making it out to be. The one guy (sorry, don't know their names) keeps saying that Stuart was "vulnerable and defenseless". Okay, so anybody who is swinging at a loose puck can't be touched now? I think Kostopolous deserved a minor penalty for coming in as hard as he did, but I don't see any malicious intent nor do I think he was targeting the head. It looked like he hit him primarily in the chest to me. Stuart has to be a little more aware of his surroundings there. If he had braced for the hit he probably wouldn't have been injured. An unfortunate play for sure, but I agree with the decision to not give him any supplemental discipline for it.

I don't know much about Kostopolous, but it seems like he can be an upgrade over some of our current 4th liners, so it can't hurt. If he stinks we can always put him right up for waivers again. I don't think he'll spark the team towards victory or anything, but any improvement is welcome at this point.

He got 6 games for the hit.

Edited by mrthemike

I really don't think this is as bad of a hit as the Detroit commentators are making it out to be. The one guy (sorry, don't know their names) keeps saying that Stuart was "vulnerable and defenseless". Okay, so anybody who is swinging at a loose puck can't be touched now? I think Kostopolous deserved a minor penalty for coming in as hard as he did, but I don't see any malicious intent nor do I think he was targeting the head. It looked like he hit him primarily in the chest to me. Stuart has to be a little more aware of his surroundings there. If he had braced for the hit he probably wouldn't have been injured. An unfortunate play for sure, but I agree with the decision to not give him any supplemental discipline for it.

He got 6 games for the hit.

Thanks for clarifying. I got some misinformation from Youtube comments about it. I think that's excessive. I don't know if he has a history or not, but I don't really see that as a particularly dirty play. Either way, hopefully he can keep it clean and contribute something to this mess of a team.

problem is we shouldnt go after "4th line guys" as we have a 3rd line who should really be a 4th or replace Gionta at least. We should try to get good 3rd liners to push down the Gionta Carter Bernier line.

putting 4th line players with a 3rd line center playing on the bottom line cause his 2 wingers are bums is not ideal and it's keeping a below average 3rd line out there instead of having a really good 4th one (im still convinced we have one of the best 4th line in the league with Gionta Bernier and Carter

if this is Lou's answer to our wunderful playing, Im sorry it just seems like they are unable to find a player to replace Zach (let me refraise that) replace the some of the goals and points lost with Zach and Sykora. We all know that Kovy needs to be on the left wing with someone who is not yet on this team on the right to play with.

Lou needs to do something or just stick a fork in it were done, maybe the plan is making sure we get a top 5 pick in the draft. (the way things are going we will end up drafting a defenseman,,lol

problem is we shouldnt go after "4th line guys" as we have a 3rd line who should really be a 4th or replace Gionta at least. We should try to get good 3rd liners to push down the Gionta Carter Bernier line.

putting 4th line players with a 3rd line center playing on the bottom line cause his 2 wingers are bums is not ideal and it's keeping a below average 3rd line out there instead of having a really good 4th one (im still convinced we have one of the best 4th line in the league with Gionta Bernier and Carter

Well, when really good third liners start appearing on waivers, I don't think the Devils will be able to get them.

The days of the Devils keeping Carter-Gionta-Bernier together at all costs appear to be over, at least for now.  Zajac with the two wingers had some great shifts.

What I'm concerned about right now is the Devils' 5th line.  You've got Josefson in the minors as a guy who's played 100 NHL games and should be fine up here.  Then you've got a whole lot of nothing.  There's not a single forward in the minors who I think is capable of taking NHL minutes and doing okay with them.  And that issue is even more pronounced among right-handed shooters, where you've got Matt Anderson, Cam Janssen, and Mike Sislo.  Kostopoulos has played 500 NHL games reasonably well and the key to his acquisition is that he's free.  The Devils have already traded away 4 draft picks in the next 2 drafts, plus they're losing a 1st rounder - they can't really afford to be giving away more draft picks for depth players.

Last night the Devils double-shifted 2 players starting in the 2nd period - this to me is unacceptable.  Double-shifting Elias and Kovalchuk, two HOFers, with a guy like Stephen Gionta who'd be lucky to put up their numbers in the ECHL, is even more mind-boggling. Even if you took out his double-shifts at even-strength, Kovalchuk would play more than anyone else.  If you can get a guy who can play 10 minutes a game, maybe Kovalchuk could take his regular shifts a little better.

Edited by Triumph

Well, when really good third liners start appearing on waivers, I don't think the Devils will be able to get them.

The days of the Devils keeping Carter-Gionta-Bernier together at all costs appear to be over, at least for now.  Zajac with the two wingers had some great shifts.

What I'm concerned about right now is the Devils' 5th line.  You've got Josefson in the minors as a guy who's played 100 NHL games and should be fine up here.  Then you've got a whole lot of nothing.  There's not a single forward in the minors who I think is capable of taking NHL minutes and doing okay with them.  And that issue is even more pronounced among right-handed shooters, where you've got Matt Anderson, Cam Janssen, and Mike Sislo.  Kostopoulos has played 500 NHL games reasonably well and the key to his acquisition is that he's free.  The Devils have already traded away 4 draft picks in the next 2 drafts, plus they're losing a 1st rounder - they can't really afford to be giving away more draft picks for depth players.

Last night the Devils double-shifted 2 players starting in the 2nd period - this to me is unacceptable.  Double-shifting Elias and Kovalchuk, two HOFers, with a guy like Stephen Gionta who'd be lucky to put up their numbers in the ECHL, is even more mind-boggling. Even if you took out his double-shifts at even-strength, Kovalchuk would play more than anyone else.  If you can get a guy who can play 10 minutes a game, maybe Kovalchuk could take his regular shifts a little better.

yes i agree with everything you said. geez... let's go for a beer or something.

our depth in the AHL is also making me nervous. To me Lou should do everything he can to get back picks for the draft this year.

Loktionov was so worth it though, what a steal.

yes i agree with everything you said. geez... let's go for a beer or something.

our depth in the AHL is also making me nervous. To me Lou should do everything he can to get back picks for the draft this year.

Loktionov was so worth it though, what a steal.

If Loktionov can keep getting better this year, this will go down as one of the best under the radar, great value acquisitions Lou has made. Similar in value to the Cam for Sal trade, though Sal is was more of a known commodity at the time than Loki, so in perceived value, Lou probably got even more of a deal there than for Loki.

If Loktionov can keep getting better this year, this will go down as one of the best under the radar, great value acquisitions Lou has made. Similar in value to the Cam for Sal trade, though Sal is was more of a known commodity at the time than Loki, so in perceived value, Lou probably got even more of a deal there than for Loki.

well we'll certainly keep a eye from time to time on that 5th rounder that they'll pick... but i'd be very surprised if he endup better than Lokti

well we'll certainly keep a eye from time to time on that 5th rounder that they'll pick... but i'd be very surprised if he endup better than Lokti

Even if he turns out to be the greatest player to ever be, we would have still had at least 3-4 shots at picking him before LA gets to use that pick. So you can't really take the value of the player drafted as what you lost when it's not a 1st rd pick. So basically, you gotta take it as the average player drafted in the 5th rd is the value of that draft spot and Loki is already showing us that he's better than your average 5th round pick.