Perry signs 8 year extension with Ducks

ghdi

So now everyone will want to go after Ryan lol

I hope Lou is taking note on how to keep your top players

He already learned this lesson with Zajac. Also, had this CBA been in effect last year, Parise in all likelihood would be on the Devils now. Conversely, if the old CBA were in effect now, Getzlaf and Perry would likely be playing elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ahh loyalty, must be nice to have. Too bad our man child was homesick.

Too bad we didn't have contract limits slanted towards the current team last year either.  That's had a major impact so far with three of the biggest FA's this offseason all opting to sign eight-year deals - each case with it being hard to imagine someone offering a seven-year deal worth more total money.  Perry and Getzlaf would have had to get like $10 million per on a seven-year deal just to match what the Ducks could offer on an eight-year deal.  Zajac would have had to get closer to $7 million per on a seven-year deal to match our eight-year deal.

Of course now that Perry and Getzlaf are signed, teams are going to throw bucketfuls of money at Elias/Clarkson/Zubrus, there really aren't that many big FA's left :P

There are three players in this league worth more than $8.25 million a season and none of them are named Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf.

True, and a lot of them are actually getting more than $8.25 million per year right now. Off the top of my head they include Parise, Weber, Suter, Kovalchuk, Crosby, Brad Richards (?). The difference is that all of those contracts were front loaded with phony years at the end. If you took those out, the cap hits for the above players would be between $9 and $11 million over year. Of course those players wouldn't be getting those deals now, and would be getting roughly the same as what Getzlaf and Perry are getting.

Until Stamkos reaches UFA status, which will be a long time away, $8.25 million appears to be the de facto max deal.

EDIT: Actually Malkin will probably be the next market setter.

Edited by Daniel

Too bad we didn't have contract limits slanted towards the current team last year either.  That's had a major impact so far with three of the biggest FA's this offseason all opting to sign eight-year deals - each case with it being hard to imagine someone offering a seven-year deal worth more total money.  Perry and Getzlaf would have had to get like $10 million per on a seven-year deal just to match what the Ducks could offer on an eight-year deal.  Zajac would have had to get closer to $7 million per on a seven-year deal to match our eight-year deal.

Of course now that Perry and Getzlaf are signed, teams are going to throw bucketfuls of money at Elias/Clarkson/Zubrus, there really aren't that many big FA's left :P

Yup, but it is nice to see two elite players staying on a good team where they began their NHL careers. Both of these guys could have easily waited for free agency to test the market but they decided to stay on a very good team.

Edited by Zubie#8

The problem with Anaheim locking these guys up is that they aren't a good team right now.  Get one locked up, fine, then trade the other one.  In 4 years they're likely to be looking at both of these deals as at least mild anchors.

Daniel:  Perry got 8.625M.  There is no such thing as a 'market setter'.

Edited by Triumph

Yup, but it is nice to see two elite players staying on a good team where they began their NHL careers. Both of these guys could have easily waited for free agency to test the market but they decided to stay on a very good team.

The new CBA puts the the original team at an advantage since it can offer an additional year, and, all things being equal more money.

This had a lot less to do with team loyalty, and much more with the realization that they would get less money playing elsewhere. Hockey players are not like Lebron who makes perhaps more from endorsements than his NBA salary. That's why he had the luxury of picking where he wanted to play.

The new CBA puts the the original team at an advantage since it can offer an additional year, and, all things being equal more money. This had a lot less to do with team loyalty, and much more with the realization that they would get less money playing elsewhere. Hockey players are not like Lebron who makes perhaps more from endorsements than his NBA salary. That's why he had the luxury of picking where he wanted to play. 

I mean, it's a difference of a few million dollars when he's already receiving multi-millions.  It's not about team loyalty, but he's there for 8 years - I don't think there are many guys who would sign a deal that long if they didn't think the organization was somewhere they wanted to be.

The problem with Anaheim locking these guys up is that they aren't a good team right now. Get one locked up, fine, then trade the other one. In 4 years they're likely to be looking at both of these deals as at least mild anchors.

Daniel: Perry got 8.625M. There is no such thing as a 'market setter'.

Whatever the number, I doubt you'll see an AAV any higher until Malkin, and even then maybe not. Crosby is locked up for the rest of his career. Stamkos is something like five/six years away. Tavares the same.

Like I said, my opinion anyway, Perry is the de facto max deal.

ADDENDUM: There probably was some estimation by Anaheim as to what the cap will grow to when Perry and Getzlaf start getting a little long in the tooth.

Edited by Daniel

The new CBA puts the the original team at an advantage since it can offer an additional year, and, all things being equal more money. This had a lot less to do with team loyalty, and much more with the realization that they would get less money playing elsewhere. Hockey players are not like Lebron who makes perhaps more from endorsements than his NBA salary. That's why he had the luxury of picking where he wanted to play.

I mean, it's a difference of a few million dollars when he's already receiving multi-millions. It's not about team loyalty, but he's there for 8 years - I don't think there are many guys who would sign a deal that long if they didn't think the organization was somewhere they wanted to be.

I suppose if Anaheim was really crapping the bed this year, the calculus would be different, although presumably it would get blamed on the two guys who want the big deals. There's enough parity that there has to be a specific reason a player wants out to take less money, even if its "only" a few million dollars.

Whatever the number, I doubt you'll see an AAV any higher until Malkin, and even then maybe not. Crosby is locked up for the rest of his career. Stamkos is something like five/six years away. Tavares the same. Like I said, my opinion anyway, Perry is the de facto max deal. ADDENDUM: There probably was some estimation by Anaheim as to what the cap will grow to when Perry and Getzlaf start getting a little long in the tooth. 

Malkin will get more.  Giroux will get more.  Toews will probably get more.  And so on and so on - there is no such thing as a 'de facto max deal' in an escalating cap world (which, after 2013-14, it will be once again).

Malkin will get more.  Giroux will get more.  Toews will probably get more.  And so on and so on - there is no such thing as a 'de facto max deal' in an escalating cap world (which, after 2013-14, it will be once again).

maybe in terms of % of the cap, this % will be required to lock up the top FA's in the final years but in terms of raw $ amount, yeah. Everyone remember how the max was only $7 something in 06? As the cap goes up, so does the amount you can workably spend on one FA without ending up like Tampa post cup w/ Richards/STL/Vinny 

Malkin will get more. Giroux will get more. Toews will probably get more. And so on and so on - there is no such thing as a 'de facto max deal' in an escalating cap world (which, after 2013-14, it will be once again).

maybe in terms of % of the cap, this % will be required to lock up the top FA's in the final years but in terms of raw $ amount, yeah. Everyone remember how the max was only $7 something in 06? As the cap goes up, so does the amount you can workably spend on one FA without ending up like Tampa post cup w/ Richards/STL/Vinny

Percentage is likel the best way to think about it,

Yes, hopefully Lou can one day learn how to run a hockey team the proper way. 

By the way, these guys are re-signing because they can get an extra year out of Anaheim, not because of Bob Murray's infinite wisdom. 

Seriously, on this one, shut up.  LET IT GO.  Lou knows more about being a GM than you or I or any other Devils fans could ever hope to forget, and you really need to stop looking at the whole Parise situation like it was so simple, and that you could've somehow handled it better than the guy who has seen his team win 3 Cups (and get to five Finals), and missed the playoff just three times in his tenure.  sh!t happens to ALL GMs, not just Lou.  Yes, the Devils clearly miss Parise, especially now that the puck isn't going in for Clarkson anymore.  But NO GM bats 1.000 in these situations, and even if it hurts right now, the idea of both Kovalchuk and Parise playing for the Devils under lifetime contracts is pretty scary to me...I'm glad that Parise isn't under contract to the Devils for 13 seasons. 

Is Lou perfect?  Of course not.  But I think he deserves more respect than you seem willing to give him.  A lot more.    

• Like 1

Seriously, on this one, shut up.  LET IT GO.  Lou knows more about being a GM than you or I or any other Devils fans could ever hope to forget, and you really need to stop looking at the whole Parise situation like it was so simple, and that you could've somehow handled it better than the guy who has seen his team win 3 Cups (and get to five Finals), and missed the playoff just three times in his tenure.  sh!t happens to ALL GMs, not just Lou.  Yes, the Devils clearly miss Parise, especially now that the puck isn't going in for Clarkson anymore.  But NO GM bats 1.000 in these situations, and even if it hurts right now, the idea of both Kovalchuk and Parise playing for the Devils under lifetime contracts is pretty scary to me...I'm glad that Parise isn't under contract to the Devils for 13 seasons. 

Is Lou perfect?  Of course not.  But I think he deserves more respect than you seem willing to give him.  A lot more.    

Of course Lou is great and did many great thing, but "IF" all reports from Zach, Lou himself and Meehan we're right about him NOT WANTING to talk contract during the season is true, well it's purely dumb. And of course you guys will say "his agent told him to wait cause he could get more!!!" well Perry's agent may have said the same thing, Perry told him he wanted to stay in anaheim and they got a deal done quickly after that. Murray approached him when things were going well and when Corey felt good about the organization, on that note i don't care about the past and what he did before that whole thing, you don't wait last minutes to try to resign your captain and top player. 

And no all GMs doesnt succeed all the time at those things, but they certainly try. Lou may have tried who knows, reports and based on that fact that he NEVER did it before lead me to believe he indeed didnt try to make a deal before it was too late, i can only judge from what's being report knowing it doesnt mean it's 100% true. But if it is, he clearly failed because of his stubbornness of doing things the same way all the time and not adjusting. He CLEARLY know he fvcked up seeing how he signed Zajac right before the season, to me thats a proof.