Goaltending Controversy Avoided and Resolved in the last 13 games

Mitico12

Here I go...

Even a healthy Marty / Moose would not typically start 13 games in a row at this stage of their careers, especially after some of the dismal performances Hedberg had in those 13 starts.

With that being said, I'm guessing the option of NOT starting either Frazee or Kinkaid in those 13 games was simply a political move to AVOID a goaltending controversy in the event either of the rookies played well enough to put doubt in the mind of the fans and management with regards to Hedberg's future with the club.

After all, if either Frazee/Kinkaid played well enough, it would force Lou to either A) carry 3 goalies B) put Moose in a bad spot questioning the team's loyalty to him or C) force Lou demote one of the rookies and create negative vibes even after a positive stretch with the "big club"

How the potential controversy has been resolved is simply knowing that Hedberg needs to be replaced next season.  The stretch of 13 games showed his ineffectiveness in long stretches.

Agree/Disagree?

Edited by Mitico12

I think it was more that everyone involved with the decision thought, right now, Hedberg gave the Devils the best chance to win .  If DeBoer thought Frazee or Kinkaid could do better, he'd likely give one of those a guys a shot.  I don't think DeBoer was necessarily that loyal to Hedberg, or worried about team dynamic or controversy.  I like Moose, and the last two seasons he played pretty well, but it's not like he had such a long track record of success with NJ that anyone should feel bad about going with someone else if so inclined.    

I think it was more that everyone involved with the decision thought, right now, Hedberg gave the Devils the best chance to win .  If DeBoer thought Frazee or Kinkaid could do better, he'd likely give one of those a guys a shot.  I don't think DeBoer was necessarily that loyal to Hedberg, or worried about team dynamic or controversy.  I like Moose, and the last two seasons he played pretty well, but it's not like he had such a long track record of success with NJ that anyone should feel bad about going with someone else if so inclined.    

I agree that the team must have reasons for not starting either Kinkaid or Frazee, but I really do feel one or both should have a little NHL experience. Marty and Moose's roads are coming to an end in the next couple of years, and I'd think the Devils would at least want a capable young back up from within the system. If Moose had gotten hurt during that 17 game stretch, the Devils would have had 2 goalies with zero NHL games between them. My guess is Lou signs a veteran backup in the offseason for Albany and lets Frazee go, or signs one for the NHL and buys out Moose. Just guesses, of course. They will also need to work Wedgewood into Albany eventually.

I can't really agree that Moose would have given the team the "best chance to win," especially after the drubbings we received against Winnipeg (for example) or Tampa.

I couldn't see the harm in putting Frazee or Kinkaid in net right after those games to help give a "fresh look" to our goaltending and perhaps spark something...

i think its fair to say the organization doesnt trust Frazee on the NHL team, seems like he's been there fooorever, if they would have trusted him they would have at least gave him the backup job at some point.

and the other kids are too young and need more pro experience.

i think its fair to say the organization doesnt trust Frazee on the NHL team, seems like he's been there fooorever, if they would have trusted him they would have at least gave him the backup job at some point.

and the other kids are too young and need more pro experience.

Being "too young" isn't exactly a plausible excuse for not starting a young goalie.  I think Cam Ward would disagree with you on that one.

How can anyone say they would be comfortable with Kinkaid when he played one period?

Hedberg is not any good for the situation we have with our goalies now, but Im not sure how we manage our way out of it until the offseason.

I can't really agree that Moose would have given the team the "best chance to win," especially after the drubbings we received against Winnipeg (for example) or Tampa.

I couldn't see the harm in putting Frazee or Kinkaid in net right after those games to help give a "fresh look" to our goaltending and perhaps spark something...

Clearly DeBoer felt differently, because even when Moose had tough games, he kept going back to him.  He sees Kinkaid and Frazee in practice, which we don't.  I'm guessing he didn't feel confident about giving either one a start. 

It's like the backup QB in football at times...because he's a great unknown that can represent anything the fans hope, everyone wants to see him play when the starter is struggling...until they see him actually play and he struggles even more than the guy he replaced.

I have no idea what Kinkaid or Frazee can or can't do at the NHL level, but I know there has to be some reason why DeBoer didn't like the idea of either one getting a shot.  I'm guessing it was something as simple as DeBoer thinking neither one was ready for an NHL start. 

Problem with that is right when the cries for change were at their loudest, Moose started playing better.

Funny, I thought this was going to be about the 'other' goaltending contreversy that was avoided after this run, the 'Let's platoon Marty and Moose!' one after his first couple starts this year.

I realize this may be sacrilegious to some since DeBoer was coach in leading us to a SC final, but one thing I have to get off my chest is that the the guy is not Christ and is subject to making poor judgement calls or decisions and he can be criticized. This is primarily directed towards the rose colored glasses crowd that believes benefit of doubt was in the Bill of Rights or something.

Yes, we do not know if Frazee or Kinkaid would have been better because they were not put in. They could have been worse too I admit. But Deboer seemed to cave to using Hedberg repeatedly solely because he is a veteran and because he feared other vets would be upset.

I realize this may be sacrilegious to some since DeBoer was coach in leading us to a SC final, but one thing I have to get off my chest is that the the guy is not Christ and is subject to making poor judgement calls or decisions and he can be criticized. This is primarily directed towards the rose colored glasses crowd that believes benefit of doubt was in the Bill of Rights or something.

Yes, we do not know if Frazee or Kinkaid would have been better because they were not put in. They could have been worse too I admit. But Deboer seemed to cave to using Hedberg repeatedly solely because he is a veteran and because he feared other vets would be upset.

Sorry coldply, but I don't buy that. No one has to think Pete is a perfect, and he certainly isn't. But to just assume he played Hedberg because he feared other vets would be upset is baseless. Hedberg started 13 games in a row, so I don't think anyone could be upset, including him, if he didn't start all of them.

Lou was interviewed the other day, and he even said the plan was to stick with Hedberg, and no real thought was given to starting the kids. Is it right or wrong? Not sure. But Hedberg responsed in the games where people wanted a different goalie to start. So there is that. In such a short season, it is tough to go with goalies that have never started an NHL game before, especially in a middle of a slide. You know what Hedberg is capable. You don't with the others.

That wasn;t about handling egos and friendships. 

Dudes, it was to AVOID a "Mark Sanchez/Tim Tebow-esque" controversy in NJ.

Because, it WOULD NOT hurt the Devs to give Frazee/Kinkaid a start.  Not at all.  Anyone who suggests otherwise is obviously new to the sports world.

The element of "what if" either of the two - Frazee or Kinkaid comes up with a few "gem" performances, what happens then? The crowd starts to chant for Moose to retire?  Or, when Marty comes back, and maybe doesn't play so well, the crowd starts to chant for "Marty to retire" and for us to put the rookie in?

Lou nipped it in the bud.  As long as Moose starts each game, there is NO controversy to be had. 

What backfired though, however, is that we had some games we could have won if we had a goalie who made saves when necessary.

Comparing Marty to Mark Sanchez is lunacy, not to mention thinking 'any' NJ backup goalie is going to come with the NATIONWIDE popularity Tebow came with.

They may have wanted to avoid a contreversy simply because they didn't want to be forced to buy Moose out at the end of the year.  Perhaps because they didn't want to upset the room, where Moose is a popular leader.  Or because (lord have mercy!) they thought Moose was the best option come hell or high water.  Most likely it was some combination of the three.

Where they goofed is not telling Moose to stop playing the puck and trying to do things he cannot do.

Dudes, it was to AVOID a "Mark Sanchez/Tim Tebow-esque" controversy in NJ.

Because, it WOULD NOT hurt the Devs to give Frazee/Kinkaid a start.  Not at all.  Anyone who suggests otherwise is obviously new to the sports world.

The element of "what if" either of the two - Frazee or Kinkaid comes up with a few "gem" performances, what happens then? The crowd starts to chant for Moose to retire?  Or, when Marty comes back, and maybe doesn't play so well, the crowd starts to chant for "Marty to retire" and for us to put the rookie in?

Lou nipped it in the bud.  As long as Moose starts each game, there is NO controversy to be had. 

What backfired though, however, is that we had some games we could have won if we had a goalie who made saves when necessary.

On the flip side, what if Kinkaid comes in and gets smoked for 6 goals? A lot of goaltending is really in the mind. That's why guys will have nights where the puck "looks like a beach ball" and nights where they can't stop anything. They may not want to risk the team coming out flat and messing a kid up. There are probably some variables that we don't know about involved.

Hedberg is only really on the team still because of his popularity with other players and because he is not a threat to Brodeur who has way too much pull with Lou and histhe playing timein these days still. Also, Kovy loves him and the Devils brought Hedberg in to entice Kovy to stay and to keep Kovy happy.

DeBoer was also maligned in Florida for his handling of similar situations. One of the reasons he got fired.

But this type of situation does happen I fully admit on a lot of teams, but one should not be surprised about the crappy outcome one bit here.

No one knows exactly what happened behind close doors... But to give the start without even thinking of not giving him to a goaler who allowed 4+ goals in 5 out of 9 games... And 3 and 2 goals the other 4 games....

I mean no one in his right mind would do that, debo had his hands tied somehow its pretty clear

Lou and PDB don't care about feelings. Look at how Pando got told to screw after he started sucking, yeah we bought him out to be nice, but still. Team is about winning, if the org thought Frazee or Kinkaid would give the team an edge, they'd have played one of them.

Pete wasn't involved with the Pando fiasco, and Lou did him a favor buying him out.

I was more referring to Lou and that is what I said about the buyout, it was a favor to Pando.

My point is that there is no thoughts in this whole org about feelings being hurt or egos cracking, this org doesn't care. You either find joy and happiness from the team's success or gtfo. Lou and ANY coach, PDB or a sack of potatos, is not going to play Hedberg over a young guy just for the sake of Hedberg's, supposed, fragile ego.

Edited by ATLL765

It had nothing to do with Hedberg's 'ego' and everything to do with the fact he's still signed through next year, the fact he's well-respected by the rest of the team and the fact that Pete believed a 39-year old vet playing every day gave him a better chance to win than some no-name rookie.

my personal opinion is the players thought too highly of Hedberg and didnt play as hard for him as they should have. Remember when Clemmonson came in to replace an injured Marty and it seemed the defense played extra hard cause they seemed to know he wasn't the best goalie around and thus made him better. Hedbergs great in a game here or there but not for the long haul. I think one of the rookies being in would have made them play harder and feel more responsibility. Thats what i think is lacking, whoever is in goal, from begining of season when they were winning til now where they seem to be in a cluster-f*** of not working together. Anyone else see that or get what im saying?