Devils Enjoying Surge in Attendance (NYT article)

95Crash

April 20, 2013

The New York Times

Slap Shot

Devils Enjoying Surge in Attendance

The Devils have won only three of their last 10 games, but they are on a more successful run at the box office. Including Wednesday night’s game against the Rangers at the Prudential Center in Newark, the Devils have sold out 14 of their last 16 home games this season and 25 of the last 27 games stretching back to last season’s playoffs.

Thanks in part to that postseason run, which ended in the Stanley Cup finals, the Devils are on track to set club attendance records. They are averaging 17,298 fans a game, which is 98 percent of capacity at the Prudential Center. While that puts them only 19th in the league in attendance, it is a jump of five spots compared to last season.

The team is averaging 1,500 fans more per game than the 2008-9 season, its second-best season at the box office since the team moved to Newark from the Izod Center in the Meadowlands. At their peak in the Izod, they drew 15,900 fans per game.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/20/devils-enjoying-surge-in-attendance/?ref=sports

April 20, 2013

The New York Times

Slap Shot

Devils Enjoying Surge in Attendance

The Devils have won only three of their last 10 games, but they are on a more successful run at the box office. Including Wednesday night’s game against the Rangers at the Prudential Center in Newark, the Devils have sold out 14 of their last 16 home games this season and 25 of the last 27 games stretching back to last season’s playoffs.

Thanks in part to that postseason run, which ended in the Stanley Cup finals, the Devils are on track to set club attendance records. They are averaging 17,298 fans a game, which is 98 percent of capacity at the Prudential Center. While that puts them only 19th in the league in attendance, it is a jump of five spots compared to last season.

The team is averaging 1,500 fans more per game than the 2008-9 season, its second-best season at the box office since the team moved to Newark from the Izod Center in the Meadowlands. At their peak in the Izod, they drew 15,900 fans per game.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/20/devils-enjoying-surge-in-attendance/?ref=sports

Nice to read an article from the future!

Also that whole 19th in the league is wrong as well.  Those are the statistics ESPN put out a couple weeks ago and they are wrong as the Devils should probably be lower.  For instance, they have the Rags at 20th with an average of 17,200 per game this season and gave them an average % of 94.5% per game full.  Problem is that ESPN thinks MSG still seats 18,200 as the renovations have knocked the total seats down to 17,200.  Therefore the Rags have been selling out every game.

Right now, the attendance numbers are the only thing going well for this team. 

It's great to see the building full on most nights, and the atmosphere has been much improved since last years run.  Lowering the prices in the balconies and getting them filled was a huge step forward last season, and its carried over to this year and, hopefully, beyond. 

DevsMan is right about the %, as the Rags new capacity at MSG is 17,200 (they gladly lost 1,000 seats to add a ton of luxury boxes between their new first and second levels).  I would think the Devils goal right now is to break even or make a small profit on ticket sales for the regular season, with the big money rolling in during the playoffs. 

Devils should be making some good money, our average ticket price has to be in the top 15-20 in the league. Can anyone confirm?

Although our ticket prices may be that high versus the rest of the league when you factor in almost every game has multiple discount offers the average price paid gets shot down tremoundously.

Nice to read an article from the future!

Also that whole 19th in the league is wrong as well.  Those are the statistics ESPN put out a couple weeks ago and they are wrong as the Devils should probably be lower.  For instance, they have the Rags at 20th with an average of 17,200 per game this season and gave them an average % of 94.5% per game full.  Problem is that ESPN thinks MSG still seats 18,200 as the renovations have knocked the total seats down to 17,200.  Therefore the Rags have been selling out every game.

Oops, where'd I get April from? I guess I'm ready for spring, haha. Oh wait, it is spring. My head must still be in bed right now.

Edited by 95Crash

Although our ticket prices may be that high versus the rest of the league when you factor in almost every game has multiple discount offers the average price paid gets shot down tremoundously.

True, but even the discounted price of $40 or $36 per seat for certain seats is a lot higher than comparable seats in a number of other arenas throughout the league. 

It has been nice going to games this season with a full crowd at the rock the atmosphere has been great there, although there really are no such thing as cheap tickets anymore due to this.. Een if you buy tickets from one of the discount deals for say $35 a piece thats still $70 after i take the girl with me another $30 to park about 6 beers later at $8 a pop thats another $48 its now a $150 game if we dont eat anything and dont stop at edison ale house before and being an hour away you can throw in another $20 for fuel... If i want to go to a game and sit in upper tier seats i have to plan on $200... In 2010 i was buying seats on stubhub lower level for $10 a pop lol the team sucked but the prices were great.

It has been nice going to games this season with a full crowd at the rock the atmosphere has been great there, although there really are no such thing as cheap tickets anymore due to this.. Een if you buy tickets from one of the discount deals for say $35 a piece thats still $70 after i take the girl with me another $30 to park about 6 beers later at $8 a pop thats another $48 its now a $150 game if we dont eat anything and dont stop at edison ale house before and being an hour away you can throw in another $20 for fuel... If i want to go to a game and sit in upper tier seats i have to plan on $200... In 2010 i was buying seats on stubhub lower level for $10 a pop lol the team sucked but the prices were great.

There are plenty of parking for a lot cheaper, but you just got to walk a few blocks.  I usually park at a lot that is 4 blocks away for $15.  Also if I am not able to stop at one of the bars before the game, then I do not drink at all.  Those beers are a rip-off at the Rock and most suck anyways.

This is the price we have to pay for the team finally becoming somewhat popular.

it's because Scott Stevens is back.

Seriously - have you all read comments on the New Jersey Devils facebook page?  I must be his worst fan EVER!  I don't have the stamina to distinguish myself from the other hangers-on any more.  You all know how I try.

It was much easier when I just had a Essex Fells stalkers and dames who kept laminated magazine pictures in their purses to contend with. Now the internet is filled with oversexed attention whores posting wisecracks about his package  ... mm mm mm...as my mind drifts to a clip from Urban Outdoor fishing ...

:mellow:  sorry.  backslid.

oh and no - I do not post on the Facebook devils page -- I did once, with disastrous consequences <_<

Edited by Pepperkorn

'The team is averaging 1,500 fans more per game than the 2008-9 season,
its second-best season at the box office since the team moved to Newark
from the Izod Center in the Meadowlands. At their peak in the Izod, they
drew 15,900 fans per game.
'

This isnt true. I believe in the 99' season we averaged 17k+....that whole paragraph is just incorrect and worded awkwardly thinking about it.

Also, again not to ruin the party but almost every team around the league is enjoying increased attendance. If this sell-out streak occurs next season then I'd pop the bubbly.

Edited by devlman

'The team is averaging 1,500 fans more per game than the 2008-9 season,

its second-best season at the box office since the team moved to Newark

from the Izod Center in the Meadowlands. At their peak in the Izod, they

drew 15,900 fans per game.'

This isnt true. I believe in the 99' season we averaged 17k+

Also, again not to ruin the party but almost every team around the league is enjoying increased attendance. If this sell-out streak occurs next season then I'd pop the bubbly.

The lack of NFL and MLB playoffs have also helped out quite a bit. Attendance usually picks up in January/February anyway

You can get to a game, eat, have a few beers and all for like $50-60 per person. You just have to budget and you're going to have either have a few people in the car to split gas and parking costs or find a side street to park on for free. I can very easily get a ticket for $25-40, then eat and drink for about another $35-45.

I mean, if you park in the closest lot, eat at brick city b&g, buy beer in the arena, yeah, you'll spend $100+, but plan accordingly and you can get to a game with two people for anywhere from $100-175.

97-98 we averaged over 17,000 at the dump. That was Gilmour's only full season here. Had over 20 sellouts and it was pretty legit. That place was full most nights. The reason? It was the last season of fairly priced seats. They jacked them up the following season and every season after that and despite the Cups and finals appearances the attendance pretty much dropped every year.

You can get to a game, eat, have a few beers and all for like $50-60 per person. You just have to budget and you're going to have either have a few people in the car to split gas and parking costs or find a side street to park on for free. I can very easily get a ticket for $25-40, then eat and drink for about another $35-45.

I mean, if you park in the closest lot, eat at brick city b&g, buy beer in the arena, yeah, you'll spend $100+, but plan accordingly and you can get to a game with two people for anywhere from $100-175.

You can also park on Mulberry Street for $15, it's about as close as the $30 lots and a bit easier to get out of.

Edited by NJDevs4978

97-98 we averaged over 17,000 at the dump. That was Gilmour's only full season here. Had over 20 sellouts and it was pretty legit. That place was full most nights. The reason? It was the last season of fairly priced seats. They jacked them up the following season and every season after that and despite the Cups and finals appearances the attendance pretty much dropped every year.

Did they jack it up after 1995, because attendance actually DROPPED in 95-96. The increases post 2000 and 2003 were barely blips on the radar

Brendan Byrne was a good place to watch a game, but too big, too cavernous. Even during games where we'd get 17K there were 2k empty seats and it was noticeable.

Im always nervous about parking blocms from the arena and walking at night... I dont know what the surrounding area is really like but me and about 7 buddys went to a game a few years ago somehow someone managed to get us lost and next thing i knew we were in the ghetto.

Im always nervous about parking blocms from the arena and walking at night... I dont know what the surrounding area is really like but me and about 7 buddys went to a game a few years ago somehow someone managed to get us lost and next thing i knew we were in the ghetto.

Yeah, I wouldn't mess around trying to save twenty bucks on parking for risk that you're car gets busted up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You'd have to walk so far out of the way to be in a really bad area. So long as you stay from Halsey to the ironbound, you're fine. Don't walk past Lincoln Park either. Other than that and even then, it's not THAT bad. Past Halsey it heads towards the University Center and the path towards that area is fine, I would avoid anything beyond Norfolk just past NJIT or, like I said, towards Clinton and Elizabeth Ave by Lincoln Park and even then, you're probably fine until you get to the Exxon over there, then it gets sketchy toward Irvine Turner and the 78 on-ramp.

If you want to be close to the arena, but not pay a ton to park, go for the lot on the side street next to the TD between Market and Raymond or look around between Broad and Halsey or just further down on Mulberry. Any of these places you cannot really get lost walking to or from.