Devils trade for Matt D'Agostini (STL)

Marshall

I don't know much about D'Agostini but hopefully he can chip in a few, play well on the boards and keep some kind of sustained pressure in the offensive zone. But when I read things like...

via Twitter

Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice)

Matt D'Agostini will become third Devil to wear No. 16 this season following Jacob Josefson and Harri Pesonen.

... it seems like Josefon's days are numbered at least as an NHL Devil. Or am I reading too much into that? Thoughts?

Edited by hasunow

I don't know much about D'Agostini but hopefully he can chip in a few, play well on the boards and keep some kind of sustained pressure in the offensive zone. But when I read things like...

via Twitter

... it seems like Josefon's days are numbered at least as an NHL Devil at least. Or am I reading too much into that? Thoughts?

It doesn't help that he got sent down, played well and then got injured with what they treated as a concussion. Not sure if it was one, though.

Life per Triumph

1- use numbers to try to backup a point or a prediction

2- when it fails, blame luck

Take it easy man. Can we just have an argument-free thread and enjoy the trade to our own degree. Scroll past posts that dont interest you.

You sound like the people touting Petr Prucha after his rookie season or Aaron Voros during his early season surge, they too said shooting % was meaningless, even though it's plainly obvious that almost the whole league ends up in a pretty small range over the long run.

Voros is a schlub and Prucha did nothing other than score goals.   It's not really a valid comparison.   Henrique, even if he ends up being a 15-30-45 guy i going to be a solid NHL player.   Voros never had a chance of that and Prucha would have to continually pump out 25 goals to be so.

Voros is a schlub and Prucha did nothing other than score goals.   It's not really a valid comparison.   Henrique, even if he ends up being a 15-30-45 guy i going to be a solid NHL player.   Voros never had a chance of that and Prucha would have to continually pump out 25 goals to be so.

I wasn't comparing Henrique to those 2.  

I was commenting on how a statement like 

Shots % is bullsh!t

flies in the face of reality and is an argument people made when told Prucha wasn't a great scorer and Voros wouldn't keep up anywhere near his goal scoring pace.

I wasn't comparing Henrique to those 2.  

I was commenting on how a statement like 

flies in the face of reality and is an argument people made when told Prucha wasn't a great scorer and Voros wouldn't keep up anywhere near his goal scoring pace.

Well, you need to use context as well.     They're bad examples.   Scott Gomez would be a good example.    A good, useful player (at that time at least) who shot the lights out for one year for whatever reason, and then never did it again.    Gionta, along the same lines, although his peak wasn't a straight arrow up and then down..

Using a god awful player like Voros isn't apt.   Most people that would watch him would know he's awful and was just hot.

Ooh ooh!!  :yay: I always hated Voros right from his first training camp!

he should be a good 3rd line RW as he's buried behind Kovy and Clarkson. The guy can definitely score, let's now see if he fits in our system, i don't remember well his defensive play. I know that he's streaky though.

i remember watching a game with my habs fans buddy and he kept on scoring after being called up and my buddy said "well fvck he's gonna have to start looking for an appartment in mtl, that guy is not going back down"

Well, you need to use context as well.     They're bad examples.   Scott Gomez would be a good example.    A good, useful player (at that time at least) who shot the lights out for one year for whatever reason, and then never did it again.    Gionta, along the same lines, although his peak wasn't a straight arrow up and then down..

Using a god awful player like Voros isn't apt.   Most people that would watch him would know he's awful and was just hot.

You can use any number of examples you want.  Edmonton fans were convinced Jordan Eberle would shoot 19% forever - maybe he will, but it's not looking that way this year.  You look at the players who've shot above 14% for their career post-1996, there aren't many, and there are even fewer above 16% - many of them are these garbageman type players.  I just don't see Henrique becoming one.  But I'm in agreement that he should be moved to wing sooner than later.

I did use context, the context is that shooting percentage isn't BS, that almost everyone comes down to a normal number eventually.

We had a thread here on NJDevs about how Lou screwed up letting Voros go because of his hot start, that's why Voros was used, because people here argued over it.  Prucha was also discussed over whether he was a good scorer or not, with those saying he was a good scorer ignoring his huge rookie season shooting percentage.

You seem to be agreeing with me, and just not the players I chose.  I think the players I chose are pretty irrelevant, they all prove the same point, as does almost every player who has every shot a ridiculous shooting percentage.

We had a thread here on NJDevs about how Lou screwed up letting Voros go because of his hot start, that's why Voros was used, because people here argued over it.  Prucha was also discussed over whether he was a good scorer or not, with those saying he was a good scorer ignoring his huge rookie season shooting percentage.

Jason macisaac LOVED VOROS!  He and I fought tooth and nail.  :evil:  I'm just sayin'

haha -- I looked back - Jason and Triumph had some nice fights over how useless voros was -- Jason just got pissy and ignored me -- how rare :evil:

heehee love this one:

Man when I'm right about a player I am right. Eckford and Voros are recking the place.

Edited by Pepperkorn

via Twitter

... it seems like Josefon's days are numbered at least as an NHL Devil. Or am I reading too much into that? Thoughts?

this is one of those things that bothers me about the devils. now i'm probably in the minority in that I take uniforms and numbers very seriously and appreciate them. that the devils are so insistent on keeping all numbers below 32 (which i'm generally fine with), it means in cases like this they recycle them a lot within the year and that I do not like. i very much believe that a uniform number is part of the identity of a player.not that it matters to anyone besides me probably,  but if/when josefson or tedenby come back, the numbers that they were originally given (and not just for a one game call up) will be unavailable to them. its funny actually because Lou's reasoning for not adding a 3rd jersey or changing the jersey was so that people wouldn't have to look to buy a new one every few years. but when you give out numbers to guys that have "earned" their number enough that people are actually getting that jersey, you should not reissue it until that guy is 100% out of your plans. 

these things can change, of course. the odds are that josefson will be wearing 16 to start the season next year (assuming he's still a member of this organization). but loktionov appears to be a keeper and should tedenby return, he's likely not getting 21 back.

all that being said, i can't see tedenby getting back on the roster this year and JJ would himself have to get healthy while the devils lost at least 2 centers to injury before he'd return. now, i don't think that's right as i believe him to be a better player than gionta but it's quite clear that lou and pdb don't see it that way.

Zubrus used to wear #16 i think he gave up when Rupp was signed with the Devils.  He picked #8 and looked at it as a new beginning

he did wear 16 and i've seen at least 1 16 zubrus jersey at devils games as recently as last year. i'm not sure if it was to give it to rupp or not because rupp has been 17 everywhere else besides NJ.

Interesting. D'Agostini seems like a solid pick-up. Look forward to seeing how he fits into the line-up. Also some good news re: Ponikarovsky's recovery. We need Zubrus back too so we can really get the line-up the way we want it.

Also I just want to say that the second D'Agostini does something that I don't like, I will begin calling him D'Bagostini. It's just too irresistible.

Also I just want to say that the second D'Agostini does something that I don't like, I will begin calling him D'Bagostini. It's just too irresistible.

Amazing. Truly amazing.

Prodigy; you just made my day. :giggle:

this is one of those things that bothers me about the devils. now i'm probably in the minority in that I take uniforms and numbers very seriously and appreciate them. that the devils are so insistent on keeping all numbers below 32 (which i'm generally fine with), it means in cases like this they recycle them a lot within the year and that I do not like. i very much believe that a uniform number is part of the identity of a player.not that it matters to anyone besides me probably,  but if/when josefson or tedenby come back, the numbers that they were originally given (and not just for a one game call up) will be unavailable to them. its funny actually because Lou's reasoning for not adding a 3rd jersey or changing the jersey was so that people wouldn't have to look to buy a new one every few years. but when you give out numbers to guys that have "earned" their number enough that people are actually getting that jersey, you should not reissue it until that guy is 100% out of your plans. 

these things can change, of course. the odds are that josefson will be wearing 16 to start the season next year (assuming he's still a member of this organization). but loktionov appears to be a keeper and should tedenby return, he's likely not getting 21 back.

all that being said, i can't see tedenby getting back on the roster this year and JJ would himself have to get healthy while the devils lost at least 2 centers to injury before he'd return. now, i don't think that's right as i believe him to be a better player than gionta but it's quite clear that lou and pdb don't see it that way.

If a guy's position in the organization is not set I don't see why anyone would really care what the guy's uniform number is.  Hell, Marty wore #29 when he came up.  And even recently Fayne went from #34 to #29. I mean Sykora in #15 was weird, but obviously that had to happen.  I would have kinda liked to see Gionta get #14 last year but obviously that wasn't going to happen either since that number's taken for the next few years at least.

Edited by NJDevs4978

it was to give it #16 to holik when holik came back.

i doubt there are many josefson jerseys but #9 is available and was already used this year, don't know why they wouldn't go in that direction but whatever. 

i've seen at least 3 and i was leaning towards getting one myself if he stayed on the team this year. a lot of people like the new guys (as proof of the 3 krieder jerseys you saw at Tuesday's game). that's a good point with 9 - would've made more sense to give that one to d'agostini.

although i just checked and he's worn 36 throughout his career. now, i don't know that it has any meaning whatsoever and I'd give it a 2% chance that he spoke with the equipment managers, but perhaps that was considered and so they gave him the 6. i am likely reaching - a lot. but that's the point of jersey numbers and me.

If a guy's position in the organization is not set I don't see why anyone would really care what the guy's uniform number is.  Hell, Marty wore #29 when he came up.  And even recently Fayne went from #34 to #29.

fayne's 34 was from his first year call up as an injury replacement - i don't think the devils expected him to stay at all. and once he became a regular, he had to get under 30 anyway - that's a bit different.

let me put it this way - josefson has played enough over two seasons now where i believe 16 is his until he's out of the organization (unless someone more "senior" comes in that wore 16 previously).

Henrique hasn't really been generating anything, he is in the right position for garbage goals but that will be streaky. He needs to get more shots and produce more zone pressure. He had an extra jump last year, hopefully that comes back.

Edited by Zubie#8

i've seen at least 3 and i was leaning towards getting one myself if he stayed on the team this year. a lot of people like the new guys (as proof of the 3 krieder jerseys you saw at Tuesday's game). that's a good point with 9 - would've made more sense to give that one to d'agostini.

although i just checked and he's worn 36 throughout his career. now, i don't know that it has any meaning whatsoever and I'd give it a 2% chance that he spoke with the equipment managers, but perhaps that was considered and so they gave him the 6. i am likely reaching - a lot. but that's the point of jersey numbers and me.

fayne's 34 was from his first year call up as an injury replacement - i don't think the devils expected him to stay at all. and once he became a regular, he had to get under 30 anyway - that's a bit different.

let me put it this way - josefson has played enough over two seasons now where i believe 16 is his until he's out of the organization (unless someone more "senior" comes in that wore 16 previously).

Yeah, JJ has played enough games in that number where if he got called up, he'd take it back most likely. I think this is an interesting thought and could mean JJ is being shopped or is seen to be lost for the season at the least.

I think they don't want to give #9 to just anyone, they figured if Butler was gonna work out, he'd keep it and he'd be a scorer, Lou strikes me as an old school guy who might want to reserve the #9 for more of a scorer, as such is sort of the tradition in giving someone Rocket Richard's number. Just a thought.

Edited by ATLL765