Alexei Kovalev retires

95Crash

Hall of Famer or not?

I don't know about anyone else here, but when he played for the Rangers in the '90s, I used to tense up whenever he had the puck in the Devils zone. For a time there, it seemed like he owned Marty.

And was it just me, or did it seem like almost half the jersey-wearing Rags fans that invaded the Meadowlands during NYR-NJD games back then had on Kovalev jerseys?

My favorite Kovalev moment will be Davidson, I think, gushing over how amazing his line change was and how he was one of the best line changers in the league.  Davidson was mocking some controversy at the time that escapes me now.

Kovalev lingered on the the ice too long and Keenan as punishment kept telling him to stay out there. Kovalev thought it was a compliment for his good play. If I remember correctly he took like a 4 minute shift and nearly scored several times.

Kovalev lingered on the the ice too long and Keenan as punishment kept telling him to stay out there. Kovalev thought it was a compliment for his good play. If I remember correctly he took like a 4 minute shift and nearly scored several times.

Yes, you've got it, that was it.  

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=869367

HF thread seems to conclude it was around 7 minutes, then he scored a goal, then he kept playing until the period ended. :lol:

From poster Danish there:

basically

-first kovy was really excited.

-then he was confused.

-then he was tired, so he skated through the entire other team and scored.

-keenan left him out there after the goal too, until the end of the period.

My favorite Kovalev moment was when he was member of the Binghamton Rangers.  Binghamton has a small ice surfaces so there isn't as much room for skaters to dipsy do and show off their individual talents.  Anyway, on same shift Alex went coast to coast twice skating through the other teams 5 skaters both times and didn't score either time.  I could still see him staring into the rafters in amazement.  Hall of fame talent, no doubt about that.  I don't know if he has hall stats but he was a joy to watch.  I would have took him in heart beat in the 90s.

My favorite Kovalev moment was when he was member of the Binghamton Rangers.  Binghamton has a small ice surfaces so there isn't as much room for skaters to dipsy do and show off their individual talents.  Anyway, on same shift Alex went coast to coast twice skating through the other teams 5 skaters both times and didn't score either time.  I could still see him staring into the rafters in amazement.  Hall of fame talent, no doubt about that.  I don't know if he has hall stats but he was a joy to watch.  I would have took him in heart beat in the 90s.

we had the french canadian kovalev in the 90's