Merrill Signs with the Devils

ZeroGravityFat

whew

Michigan.gif go blue 

( see now I'm not thinking Tri is shaking his head reading this coffee.gif thinking "my GOD woman, did you not even READ my post?  Michigan has been eliminated - and they're a team in decline.  Posting that logo is illogical.  Merrill is bidding farwell to Michigan and it's team of losers.  I dispair of this hockey forum! happynewyear.gif and I don't drink martinis hurumph)

Jon Merrill signs 3-year entry level contract with Devils that begins in 2013-14. Also signed ATO with Albany to play there rest of season.

I doubt he can play for the Devils in the playoffs since technically he's not signed until next season.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat

I can see NJ trading one of Gelinas/Urbom for help up front..we have a logjam forming at defense in Albany.

Well, you have to figure one of those guys graduates to full-time duty in the NHL, whether it's Gelinas, Urbom, or Merrill.

That makes next year's A-Devs

2 of Gelinas/Urbom/Merrill

Burlon

Scarlett

But there it's a mystery, the Devils re-signed Young but I bet he's moved to forward, Hraberenka and McPherson are on AHL contracts, Kelly's RFA but hasn't impressed (afaik), Leach is probably on the way out, Corrente can't stay healthy - then you've got guys outside the NHL like Helgeson who aren't tearing it up.  And I saw the mystery man Stepan Stepanov got in a game a few weeks ago, so I guess he's in the mix too.

I think they'll bring in a veteran, whether that's keeping Corrente or adding from outside the organization, I don't know, but Albany doesn't look that logjammed to me unless I am forgetting someone.  By the time Severson arrives, Urbom is waiver eligible and would probably be gone or in the NHL.

Edited by Triumph

Is he just not finishing college then? Seems kind of odd to stick with the decision to finish school for so long to just change his mind now. 

He almost had a career ending injury this season so it wouldn't surprise me if people advised him, or he decided, that he needed to guarantee himself a good contract in case he suffered another major injury.

He almost had a career ending injury this season so it wouldn't surprise me if people advised him, or he decided, that he needed to guarantee himself a good contract in case he suffered another major injury.

Yeah, he gets a contract, ELC or not, tomorrow he could find out he's got some heart defect and can't play sports, but then he'll at least have the money to settle in somewhere, go finish a degree, get a job. It'd be silly to give up the guarantee of money that would be sufficient to start your life and career with even if plan A goes to hell.

Is he just not finishing college then? Seems kind of odd to stick with the decision to finish school for so long to just change his mind now. 

A lot of hockey players also take summer classes so they can graduate in 3 years.  I think I read somewhere that Merrill is doing this.  In addition, his 'advisor' basically told the media last year that Jon didn't want to play in Albany if it could be avoided - wasn't hard to see the writing on the wall with 6 D already signed through next season and an impending lockout.

In my above post about the A-Devils, I forgot about Curtis Gedig who might be signed this year or next.

Edited by Triumph