Season Ticket Holder Tuesdays

Satans Hockey

Not many considering the Devils' increasing number of sth's the past three years.

I get the principle of the thing argument but really 1% of $5000 tickets (a pair in the lower bowl) is $50. That's basically their service charge lol.

But honestly, if an extra $50 is really that big a deal then you probably shouldn't be buying season tickets in the first place.

Service charge for what?  Handling your money that you are giving them?  If it was to process CC's then that's fine, but they charge this no matter what method you pay.  By that logic they should charge 1% "handling" charges when you buy food at the arena because they technically handle your money right before they place it in the register.

Edited by DevsMan84

Service charge for what though? You still buy every ticket before the game is played. That's not credit. I don't understand what the fee is for besides not having you pay for 9 months worth hockey at once. A fee covers the cost of something and it doesn't cost the Devils anything to charge you monthly.

No it doesn't 'cost' them anything except they don't get the interest on your money the extra months they have it if you pay in one lump sum.

I was just comparing it to the service charge in terms of it being a similar amount of money, I wasn't saying it was the service charge itself. Would you guys prefer they raised ticket prices 50 cents each with no interest, just so they're not 'transparent'? That's basically what we're talking about. It'd come out to the same bill anyway.

No it doesn't 'cost' them anything except they don't get the interest on your money the extra months they have it if you pay in one lump sum.

I was just comparing it to the service charge in terms of it being a similar amount of money, I wasn't saying it was the service charge itself. Would you guys prefer they raised ticket prices 50 cents each with no interest, just so they're not 'transparent'? That's basically what we're talking about. It'd come out to the same bill anyway.

That's again a bunch of nickel and diming that's on the Devils.  How come other teams do not do that while the Devils do?  To put it on the fans for the interest that they may potentally lose if they do not get it all at once is as cheap as it comes.  If that's the way they look at this, then they shouldn't even accept or offer payment plans.

What I do to pay in full and avoid these charges (as well as to have a chance to win a Dream Prize, which I was lucky enough to win this year) is I plan it out for the year ahead.. So for 2014 - 2015 I expect my tix could go up to $28 a piece.. That means over the next 12 months I need to save up about $2,500, or $209 a month.. I put that aside, collect my own interest on it, then pay in full next year.. So rather than having to pay off my tix after I renew, I basically pay them off before I renew

FWIW the Rangers don't pay taxes, have fewer team events and STH benefits than the Devils, and charge a sh!t ton more.. They've most likely built in that interest charge for everyone anyway.. Dolan has never been known for his generosity or caring about the little people, especially now with super high demand and a practically new building.. Devils apparently should just charge everyone more, remove the interest, and then create the perception that they don't charge interest

Edited by Colin226

What I do to pay in full and avoid these charges (as well as to have a chance to win a Dream Prize, which I was lucky enough to win this year) is I plan it out for the year ahead.. So for 2014 - 2015 I expect my tix could go up to $28 a piece.. That means over the next 12 months I need to save up about $2,500, or $209 a month.. I put that aside, collect my own interest on it, then pay in full next year.. So rather than having to pay off my tix after I renew, I basically pay them off before I renew

FWIW the Rangers don't pay taxes, have fewer events and benefits than the Devils, and charge a sh!t ton more.. They've most likely built in that interest charge for everyone anyway.. Dolan has never been known for his generosity or caring about the little people, especially now with super high demand and a new building.. Devils apparently should just charge everyone more, remove the interest, and then create the perception that they don't charge interest

lol well not everyone plans ahead like you so they choose the monthly payment plan. 

lol well not everyone plans ahead like you so they choose the monthly payment plan.

Definitely which is why I was hoping to help some people with my strategy.. I definitely think that they should have 1 plan that doesn't have interest - maybe 3, 6, and 12 month plans with the 3-month not having interest..

I do see it from their side where they would be earning that interest had the tix been paid in full.. They factor that interest money into their budgets, so rather than charging everyone more and not having interest charges for any plan, they instead give you the option to pay interest if you want the plan.. That way people who pay in full aren't paying more

I see a lot of people here subscribe to the theory that sometimes it's better to give nothing than a little something?

Had the team left the STH bonuses from the lockout at that long list (which was in addition to the bonuses we were getting during a full season anyway) I think there wouldn't be all of this complaining.. The fact that they are offering something that some feel doesn't have much value just makes those STH pissed it isn't better.. Couple that with the fact that they had some interesting stuff to start the season and you have a lot of people with high expectations

The way I look at these Tuesday things, they're just little things from the team to remind STH they are thinking of them.. In reality, they already gave us a sufficient amount of perks and I personally don't feel entitled to more from the Devils all because I couldn't watch hockey for a few months

I will tell you why I am pissed off...

1.  I picked the "Early Access to the Equipment Sale/Draft Party" as a perk for LAST SEASON.  They NEVER HELD THE EVENT, AND NEVER GAVE A SUBSTITUTE IN IT'S PLACE!  They said they would, etc etc and NOTHING has been done.  INEXCUSABLE.

2.  All of the cool STH events they usually have is one of the main reasons I signed up for STH's.  Guess how many they had this season?  ZERO.  NONE.  NADA.  Not a single one.  Then they have the balls to send out Renewals AND Playoff Invoices?!?  Is this a joke?  The Devils have to be dead LAST in the NHL as far as fan relations go and doing the right thing.

3.  On top of what I said above, they email me garbage offers every Tuesday and call it a "perk"?!?  Kevin Clark recording my voicemail message?!?  A STH wallpaper for your iPhone or iPad?!?  Sorry but this is laughable at best.  I want the friggin perks we normally get. 

Edited by ThreeCups

1.  I picked the "Early Access to the Equipment Sale/Draft Party" as a perk for LAST SEASON.  They NEVER HELD THE EVENT, AND NEVER GAVE A SUBSTITUTE IN IT'S PLACE!  They said they would, etc etc and NOTHING has been done.  INEXCUSABLE.

2.  All of the cool STH events they usually have is one of the main reasons I signed up for STH's.  Guess how many they had this season?  ZERO.  NONE.  NADA.  Not a single one.  Then they have the balls to send out Renewals AND Playoff Invoices?!?  Is this a joke?  The Devils have to be dead LAST in the NHL as far as fan relations go and doing the right thing.

3.  On top of what I said above, they email me garbage offers every Tuesday and call it a "perk"?!?  Kevin Clark recording my voicemail message?!?  A STH wallpaper for your iPhone or iPad?!?  Sorry but this is laughable at best.  I want the friggin perks we normally get. 

Very valid points, especially number 1.  Devils really know how to troll their own fans.

But it's not a service charge. A service charge is more acceptable in my mind because it covers an actual service provided. This is just a fee for those who don't pay in total, months in advance. It's ridiculous. If they want to discount the price for early renewals/sign ups, go for it, but to charge more for having the same convenience given to you by every other company that sells a product on the planet, where you pay, then immediately get your product. Why do the Devils deserve to get paid, then you get your product over the next 9 months? That's ridiculous.

Again, I'd totally understand if there was an added benefit from the plan, like paying after getting your product, but there isn't. At least when the bank charges me a fee, it's because I overdrew my acct by 2 cents, so they at least let me borrow 2 cents before charging me $25 for nothing. For the fee the devils charge on the payment plans, you get absolutely no benefit you would not have been afforded while buying any other product, ever.

The interest is not a big deal at all.

And like I said before if it is then people shouldn't be buying season tickets anyway.  I pay lump sum, if my only option was to pay on a plan I would definitely not be getting season tickets and just hunting StubHub and discount watching.  But that's just me.

I really don't get the hemming and hawing about it, at least not to the level it seems to offend people here.  Other than the reasoning of 'other teams don't do it'.  Fine.  But it's still not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.  Not compared to actually raising ticket prices almost 25% in my area anyway :P ($22-27)  

Edited by NJDevs4978

That's again a bunch of nickel and diming that's on the Devils.  How come other teams do not do that while the Devils do?  To put it on the fans for the interest that they may potentally lose if they do not get it all at once is as cheap as it comes.  If that's the way they look at this, then they shouldn't even accept or offer payment plans.

When I last had a Yankees tickets plan in 2009, they charged a service/financing fee of 1 or 2% on accounts not paid in full by their specified date.  The Giants and Jets charged a financing % for PSL's not paid in full up front.  I'm not sure what other teams policies are, but this surely isn't unheard of.  I agree that it is probably unnecessary and is not the smartest PR move by the team, but I doubt it will scare away more than 5-10 people (at max) from buying season tickets. 

Edited by Chuck the Duck

When I last had a Yankees tickets plan in 2009, they charged a service/financing fee of 1 or 2% on accounts not paid in full by their specified date.  The Giants and Jets charged a financing % for PSL's not paid in full up front.  I'm not sure what other teams policies are, but this surely isn't unheard of.  I agree that it is probably unnecessary and is not the smartest PR move by the team, but I doubt it will scare away more than 5-10 people (at max) from buying season tickets. 

You may be right in that last line, but also the teams you mentioned do not exactly have much of an attendance issue and do no thave to rely on a constant stream of discount ticket offers to sell out like the Devils do.

I see a lot of people here subscribe to the theory that sometimes it's better to give nothing than a little something?

Had the team left the STH bonuses from the lockout at that long list (which was in addition to the bonuses we were getting during a full season anyway) I think there wouldn't be all of this complaining.. The fact that they are offering something that some feel doesn't have much value just makes those STH pissed it isn't better.. Couple that with the fact that they had some interesting stuff to start the season and you have a lot of people with high expectations

The way I look at these Tuesday things, they're just little things from the team to remind STH they are thinking of them.. In reality, they already gave us a sufficient amount of perks and I personally don't feel entitled to more from the Devils all because I couldn't watch hockey for a few months

1. I picked the "Early Access to the Equipment Sale/Draft Party" as a perk for LAST SEASON. They NEVER HELD THE EVENT, AND NEVER GAVE A SUBSTITUTE IN IT'S PLACE! They said they would, etc etc and NOTHING has been done. INEXCUSABLE.

2. All of the cool STH events they usually have is one of the main reasons I signed up for STH's. Guess how many they had this season? ZERO. NONE. NADA. Not a single one. Then they have the balls to send out Renewals AND Playoff Invoices?!? Is this a joke? The Devils have to be dead LAST in the NHL as far as fan relations go and doing the right thing.

3. On top of what I said above, they email me garbage offers every Tuesday and call it a "perk"?!? Kevin Clark recording my voicemail message?!? A STH wallpaper for your iPhone or iPad?!? Sorry but this is laughable at best. I want the friggin perks we normally get.

1. Totally agree

2. I feel like you use this as partially a business so having these events is especially important to you and yeah I mean they did promise those so we should get them.. But I also realize that in a shortened season it's just tough to plan an event when they really have no idea what the practice schedule will be.. No organization puts fan events before the team's schedule.. Devils are no different.. So I see both sides on this issue

3. Still just do not agree that these Tuesday emails should be something of incredible value every week. They gave us more than enough to make up for - heaven forbid - not being able to watch a sport for several months.. There are bigger problems in life, and at what point do we (and I mean this generally to all NHL fans) stop demanding retributions for that? I am actually genuinely curious about that

1. Totally agree

2. I feel like you use this as partially a business so having these events is especially important to you and yeah I mean they did promise those so we should get them.. But I also realize that in a shortened season it's just tough to plan an event when they really have no idea what the practice schedule will be.. No organization puts fan events before the team's schedule.. Devils are no different.. So I see both sides on this issue

3. Still just do not agree that these Tuesday emails should be something of incredible value every week. They gave us more than enough to make up for - heaven forbid - not being able to watch a sport for several months.. There are bigger problems in life, and at what point do we (and I mean this generally to all NHL fans) stop demanding retributions for that? I am actually genuinely curious about that

For me, sometimes nothing is better than something. If there's was one man on Earth left who would buy your car, would you sell for it for 1 cent? I wouldn't. I'd tell that guy to suck it and then do donuts around him. My point is, sometimes no offer is better than an insulting offer.

For me, sometimes nothing is better than something. If there's was one man on Earth left who would buy your car, would you sell for it for 1 cent? I wouldn't. I'd tell that guy to suck it and then do donuts around him. My point is, sometimes no offer is better than an insulting offer.

For some people those offers weren't silly though.

Nobody expected any season ticket holder Tuesday offers and then when the team gives STHers additional stuff to what the team is obligated to give some people complain.  Not liking what the STH Tuesday's offer detracts from your tickets no more than if the offers weren't given at all.  I've only used the picture on the ice after the game bonus, but that means I got more than I originally expected before the season.

I think your analogy might better fit as, If you didn't want a car and someone offered to sell you a car for 1 cent, why would you be mad at that person even though they offered you something with no value to you?

Only here do people complain about being offered free stuff they're not forced to take, or discounts they're not forced to buy.  Talk about entitlement.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Tons of other teams found time to schedule STH events, so I do not see why it is so difficult for the Devils to do so.  And back to the Season Ticket Tuesdays; I do not care that they are offering crappy deals/items, etc.  My problem with it is that a Devils "Fan Experience Rep" tried to tell me and another STH that the team is trying and doing more than ever, and cited the Season Ticket Tuesday as an example.  Go ahead and offer us crap all you want, but do NOT use this as justification/ammo against complaining STH'ers who feel shafted.

Tons of other teams found time to schedule STH events, so I do not see why it is so difficult for the Devils to do so. And back to the Season Ticket Tuesdays; I do not care that they are offering crappy deals/items, etc. My problem with it is that a Devils "Fan Experience Rep" tried to tell me and another STH that the team is trying and doing more than ever, and cited the Season Ticket Tuesday as an example. Go ahead and offer us crap all you want, but do NOT use this as justification/ammo against complaining STH'ers who feel shafted.

Have tons of other teams had signings and other STH events? Or are you assuming they have?

A few of the deals were pretty good. Most weren't, but no harm done, right?... not worthy of a complaint in my opinion, we're not really entitled to anything.. Anything that we got that was decent in the first few weeks was already enough and better than nothing.

Take a look across the river to how a franchise shouldn't treat their season ticket holders. The Devils do as good a job as any team in the area, and much much better in my opinion.

A few of the deals were pretty good. Most weren't, but no harm done, right?... not worthy of a complaint in my opinion, we're not really entitled to anything.. Anything that we got that was decent in the first few weeks was already enough and better than nothing.

Take a look across the river to how a franchise shouldn't treat their season ticket holders. The Devils do as good a job as any team in the area, and much much better in my opinion.

For this part, let's take the STH Tuesdays out of this equation since it is a 1-season deal.

While the Rags do not offer that many STH perks, when they do they usually deliver pretty well.  The Devils instead have a habit of offering or promising perks and then either royally screwing them up (last year's team open practice) or not even having them (Equipment sale)

For this part, let's take the STH Tuesdays out of this equation since it is a 1-season deal.

While the Rags do not offer that many STH perks, when they do they usually deliver pretty well.  The Devils instead have a habit of offering or promising perks and then either royally screwing them up (last year's team open practice) or not even having them (Equipment sale)

Yeah but as far as shafting the everyday Rangers season ticket holder or family every year with insane price jumps and other shenanigans, they take the cake.

• Like last year, when they got rid of seats for hundreds of STHers to make room for the new luxury boxes; and did nothing to reallocate them or give them a deal on what would end up being way more expensive options in the lower bowl.
  • Or this year, when they build the Sky Bridges, even further adding to the numerous eyesores the average season ticketholder has to look at instead of having a nice open feeling of a large proud arena.

Their organization is such a joke and they could give a rat's ass about their season ticket holders. The Devils have a few strikes on their batting record, but never any major displays of disrespect to the people that count.

Edited by DJ Eco

Yeah but as far as shafting the everyday Rangers season ticket holder or family every year with insane price jumps and other shenanigans, they take the cake.

• Like last year, when they got rid of seats for hundreds of STHers to make room for the new luxury boxes; and did nothing to reallocate them or give them a deal on what would end up being way more expensive options in the lower bowl.
  • Or this year, when they build the Sky Bridges, even further adding to the numerous eyesores the average season ticketholder has to look at instead of having a nice open feeling of a large proud arena.

Their organization is such a joke and they could give a rat's ass about their season ticket holders. The Devils have a few strikes on their batting record, but never any major displays of disrespect to the people that count.

They told the season ticket holders ahead of time that these were coming.  Yeah the old blue seats STH got shafted, but the writing was on the wall and the Rags gave them notice of it.

The Devils just promise events and then treat it as an afterthought or never even hold them.  IDK about you, but when im about to be royally screwed over I'd rather the organization be up front about it.