This Video of Lundqvist Says it All

David Puddy

They can't all be chill like Marty.

Not to derail the thread, but that's probably one of Marty's greatest assets, if you ask me.  He's ridiculously strong mentally, I don't think I've seen him give a negative presser or get down on himself many times.

Got to love Glen Sather.  Don Maloney brings them back to respectability by building a pretty good talent pool while eschewing the star player trap.   And since Maloney left the talent pool is tapped out and Sather has destroyed the team concept by going back to his failed star laden system.   Nash, Richards and Gaborik with no support.  If it wasn't for Lunquvist they would be 30th in the league.

Got to love Glen Sather.  Don Maloney brings them back to respectability by building a pretty good talent pool while eschewing the star player trap.   And since Maloney left the talent pool is tapped out and Sather has destroyed the team concept by going back to his failed star laden system.   Nash, Richards and Gaborik with no support.  If it wasn't for Lunquvist they would be 30th in the league.

won't have to worry about sather anymore, he was going to have prostate cancer surgery. i'm guessing he won't be around much longer.

They can't all be chill like Marty.

Not to derail the thread, but that's probably one of Marty's greatest assets, if you ask me.  He's ridiculously strong mentally, I don't think I've seen him give a negative presser or get down on himself many times.

I've always felt that the one thing that Marty had that Roy and Hasek didn't was his head. He makes his teammates better, he's calm, he's good in the locker room. He obviously brings a lot on the ice, but it's his intelligence, poise, and ability to work in the locker room that makes him special. How many times have we seen him sh!t the bed in the first, only to settle down and lead the comeback in the second and third? He's special, in a way we'll never see again.

I've always felt that the one thing that Marty had that Roy and Hasek didn't was his head. He makes his teammates better, he's calm, he's good in the locker room. He obviously brings a lot on the ice, but it's his intelligence, poise, and ability to work in the locker room that makes him special. How many times have we seen him sh!t the bed in the first, only to settle down and lead the comeback in the second and third? He's special, in a way we'll never see again.

Well put. I think a lot of people don't realize that.

In fairness, even if Roy could be more emotional, it's not like that hurt him on the ice...lots of postseason wins and multiple Cups.  He put that '93 Canadiens team on his back.  Roy was plenty special, even if it was in a different way than Marty.

And calm, cool, collected Marty has been rattled at times in his postseason career...not like he's ALWAYS calm, cool, and collected. 

In fairness, even if Roy could be more emotional, it's not like that hurt him on the ice...lots of postseason wins and multiple Cups.  He put that '93 Canadiens team on his back.  Roy was plenty special, even if it was in a different way than Marty.

I'm not bashing Roy. IMO he was better than Marty, but Marty, for example, would never have left NJ the way Roy left Montreal. He would be working on improving that d, and wouldn't flip out on a coach, even one who had fvcked up and left him out there on a bad night.

Edited by mouse

Not to turn this into a Roy/Marty debate, but in fairness to Roy, I think playing in Montreal can definitely wear one down after awhile...let's face it, being a Canadien is an entirely different beast than being a NJ Devil.  Roy managed to thrive under that spotlight for a very long time.  Marty himself pretty much admitted in his book that he didn't really want any part of the fishbowl lifestyle that comes with playing for the Canadiens.  Who knows how Marty would've handled playing there for as many years as Roy did?   

I think Marty and the NJ Devils ultimately complemented each other perfectly...as far as a player/franchise relationship goes, you'd be hard-pressed to find one that felt more right and meant to be than this one.