GDT: NJ Devils @ FLA Panthers - 7:30pm - MSG+ and 1130AM

Colin226

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever a team is skidding, the easy thing to do is to point to heart or desire and claim the team has little to none of it.  I disagree.

The team talent-wise just isn't very good right now...it wasn't well-equipped to handle losing Kovalchuk.  But they're 7-10-6 since that 8-1-3 start, and a good chunk of that 7-10-6 was with Kovy in the lineup.  When guys like Elias and Zajac aren't doing much offensively, and the Clarkson feel-good story is coming to an end...not hard to see where it's going.

Great that the Devils are keeping shots down most nights, because right now, that gives them the best chance to win games, because they don't score much, and their goaltending is pretty meh.  We all love Marty (well, most Devils fans do), but these days Marty isn't even a lock to stop 91% of the shots coming his way (and 91% is not terribly impressive).  He'll give us our share of vintage Marty moments, but the guy isn't a top puck-stopper anymore...he's 28th in save% this season, and his save% was .903 two years ago, .908 last season, and is now at .907 this season.  Not saying the Devils should bench him, especially for Hedberg (God-awful .886 this year), but the goaltending is more something the Devils have to overcome now, than to count on to bail them out.  The overall level of play from that position is pretty mediocre these days.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I dont know how many times the Devils were inches away from getting the puck out of our zone, but somehow managed to keep the puck in, causing an easy time for the other team to get scoring chances. (esp while we were on the PK and/or with their goalie pulled)

Edited by hargsy

Whenever a team is skidding, the easy thing to do is to point to heart or desire and claim the team has little to none of it.  I disagree.

The team talent-wise just isn't very good right now...it wasn't well-equipped to handle losing Kovalchuk.  But they're 7-10-5 since that 8-1-3 start, and a good chunk of that 7-10-5 was with Kovy in the lineup.  When guys like Elias and Zajac aren't doing much offensively, and the Clarkson feel-good story is coming to an end...not hard to see where it's going.

Great that the Devils are keeping shots down most nights, because right now, that gives them the best chance to win games, because they don't score much, and they're goaltending is pretty meh.  We all love Marty (well, most Devils fans do), but these days Marty isn't even a lock to stop 91% of the shots coming his way (and 91% is not terribly impressive).  He'll give us our share of vintage Marty moments, but the guy isn't a top puck-stopper anymore...he's 28th in save% this season, and his save% was .903 two years ago, .908 last season, and is now at .907 this season.  Not saying the Devils should bench him, especially for Hedberg (God-awful .886 this year), but the goaltending is more something the Devils have to overcome now, than to count on to bail them out.  The overall level of play from that position is pretty mediocre these days.

Excuse me, sir. But this is no time for logic and reason. 

Now, back to bringing up Reid Boucher and trading Harrold for Jagr... 

It's hard to believe this team crested with the home-and-home in Pittsburgh.  Losing twelve games to non-playoff teams in six weeks, winning four regulation games out of twenty, winning one road game in six weeks...these are not the numbers of a 'good' team.  And I don't want to hear about injuries the last two nights either - look at the guys out of the Tampa and Florida lineups.

It's hard to believe this team crested with the home-and-home in Pittsburgh.  Losing twelve games to non-playoff teams in six weeks, winning four regulation games out of twenty, winning one road game in six weeks...these are not the numbers of a 'good' team.  And I don't want to hear about injuries the last two nights either - look at the guys out of the Tampa and Florida lineups.

I believe this team has another level. It will come, hopefully just in time for the playoffs. ;)

Imagine we get Montreal in the first round, the team played them pretty well this year, and the Brodeur factor will be something to watch. You never know what can happen in the playoffs I just want them to make it in.

Edited by Zubie#8

Cheer up....technically they're losing the SAME way every night :evil:

Oh well. Most times they lose in the shootout, yesterday in OT... not as often in regulation time, which is the only positive. Without Parise, Zubrus and Kovalchuk, this is a team with very little offensive talent and no real game breakers. They have to give 110% or they won't win. Nothing comes easy for them. It's an accomplishment they are even in the race at this point. Pretty frustrating to watch, though. I can't imagine where they'd be if they hadn't picked up Loktionov.   

It was probably a good thing that my phone had bad service last night web I tried to post because my blood was boiling.

It's disgusting that we can't close ou these games, it looked like they had no effort in the last minute again. Can't believe it.