We Suck

1Guy3Cups

I hope we are sellers at the deadline, losing to Tampa, Fla & the isles in 4 days is embarrassing!!  we should not be allowed int he playoffs after that disater.

seriously though, LL needs to be a seller, time to restock w/ picks & prospects, everything is available ( for the right price of course) IMHO except Marty.

Players I think most need to go:

Elias, Poni, Talinder Zid, Fayne, Salvador, Zubrus maybe even Zajak, and if at all possible I'd trade Kovy, doubt there are any takers for that ridiculous contract. 

The idiots on this forum jump ship after a bad loss every season. Don't worry, you're in good company with a parade of other idiots.

This is 2 months of awful hockey, if you cannot see what is right in front of you nothing I can do to help...

I hope we are sellers at the deadline, losing to Tampa, Fla & the isles in 4 days is embarrassing!!  we should not be allowed int he playoffs after that disater.

seriously though, LL needs to be a seller, time to restock w/ picks & prospects, everything is available ( for the right price of course) IMHO except Marty.

Players I think most need to go:

Elias, Poni, Talinder Zid, Fayne, Salvador, Zubrus maybe even Zajak, and if at all possible I'd trade Kovy, doubt there are any takers for that ridiculous contract. 

not sure if serious? 

The idiots on this forum jump ship after a bad loss every season. Don't worry, you're in good company with a parade of other idiots.

Jump ship?? I watch every game with the hope that something positive will happen.  I am coming to the conclusion that without some serious changes we will continue to play like this.  So no sir, I am not jumping ship, just clearly stating the obvious...

On the bright side, I might be able to get some under $15 tix for the last few home games.

I actually was thinking the same thing.. Too funny

I'm almost always an optimist when it comes to the Devils, but we have such a lackluster roster, it's hard to be. When you watch teams like Chicago or Pittsburgh, for example, or even Montreal at times, it's easy to see we have a very subpar team. Yes, we went to the SCF last year, and yes, I think our roster could still play good hockey without Parise, but it's extremely fragile. If one of, a Zubrus or a Kovalchuk (obviously) or a Brodeur is out injured, we lose; it's become THAT simple.

Lou's philosophy has always been to build the team to win. But it's clear and obvious that we wouldn't be able to beat a Chicago or Boston (can't wait til Wednesday, yay!). We're not built to win. We couldn't beat a completely depressed Rangers side two weeks ago, we couldn't beat Tampa or Florida, and we obviously can't figure out how to get the Islanders this year. Who can we beat??

Not saying we'll break out of it, but this team isn't as bad as it's playing, especially since Kovy, you know, the best player, is injured. And yes, I know the slump started with Kovy healthy, but no Marty hurt then. If we do get hot, people better be ready to eat some crow. Again, they may not, and the short season doesn't help, but this team is neither as good as they were at the start nor as bad as they are right now.

Also, Marty played like crap in the first. So did everybody else, but by the time they woke up, they were down 2. We need a goalie who can hold the fort until they start playing with some confidence. IMO Marty will still do that a couple games. We can't really expect to come back from 2 down without Kovy.

Edited by mouse

Missed you, Darth. Scary that you have to be the voice of reason now, but lately the board's gone overboard.

I'm almost always an optimist when it comes to the Devils, but we have such a lackluster roster, it's hard to be. When you watch teams like Chicago or Pittsburgh, for example, or even Montreal at times, it's easy to see we have a very subpar team. Yes, we went to the SCF last year, and yes, I think our roster could still play good hockey without Parise, but it's extremely fragile. If one of, a Zubrus or a Kovalchuk (obviously) or a Brodeur is out injured, we lose; it's become THAT simple.

Lou's philosophy has always been to build the team to win. But it's clear and obvious that we wouldn't be able to beat a Chicago or Boston (can't wait til Wednesday, yay!). We're not built to win. We couldn't beat a completely depressed Rangers side two weeks ago, we couldn't beat Tampa or Florida, and we obviously can't figure out how to get the Islanders this year. Who can we beat??

If we beat Boston next week, how much you want to bet this forum will say we are the 2013 version of the 2012 Kings and will rule the playoffs?

This whole last 20 games have been pretty despressing, but I do not think the whole roster needs to be blown up.

If we beat Boston next week, how much you want to bet this forum will say we are the 2013 version of the 2012 Kings and will rule the playoffs?

This whole last 20 games have been pretty despressing, but I do not think the whole roster needs to be blown up.

I agree, the roster does not need to be blown up. I wouldn't characterize myself as part of the group of people overreacting a bit much, saying we need to firesale our roster, no way. But we need one key move to strengthen our forward depth. It only needs to be one player, one key difference-maker. We've had the extra D and some solid prospects to be able to trade for this key player, but we keep waiting and waiting, and it's starting to seem like it won't happen. We waited too long and now some of these questionable healthy scratches are being made that hurt our chances at, not only winning and playing well, but trading some players who were worth a considerable amount more a month or two ago on the trading block. Seeing a Larsson or a Fayne getting scratched from one game to the next is extremely frustrating, be it in the way the other players are playing, or simply because Fayne could've been a key piece to be able to trade.

I think what we are seeing is the result of being too good for too long. A decade or so of not picking until #20-30 can add up. When you get 5 or 6 years of picks in the first half of each round, you have access to better players.

Plus, a lot (A LOT!!!) of the Devils 1st and 2nd rounders didn't pan out. These are supposed to be your top prospects.

According to hockeydb... Since 2000 in the first or second round (with total NHL games)

David Hale (327), Teemu Laine (0), Alexander Suglobov (18), Matt DeMarchi (0), Paul Martin (583), Adrian Foster (0), Igor Pohanka (0), Tuomas Pihlman (15), Victor Uchevatov (0), Anton Kadeykov (0), Barry Tallackson (20), Zach Parise (537), Petr Vrana (16), Travis Zajac (459), Niklas Bergfors (173), Jeff Frazee (1), Matt Corrente (34), Alexander Vasyunov (18), Mike Hoeffel (0), Mattias Tedenby (105), Bandon Burlon (0), Patrice Cormier (39), Jacob Josefson (85), Eric Gelinas (0), Jon Merrill (0), Adam Larsson (93), Stefan Matteau (17), Damon Severson (0),

Now, Gelinas, Merrill, and Severson's zero's mean nothing since they are just getting started in their careers, but there's a lot of picks that didn't pay off. I don't know what percentage of 1st-2nd rounders pay off league wide but of those listed, I'd say we had 3 that became permanent NHLers and a few that should in the future.

The above also led to Lou dipping into the UFA pool more than he would've liked.  And we've seen that the returns on such moves have been mixed at best (not common for UFAs). 

I think we have alot of prospects that need to get some looks, from mattuea, to Boucher to merril, but the big league team is getting old, scratch that this TEAM IS OLD!!

forwards under 28:

D'Agostini

Zajak

Henrique Loktionov

Fowards over 30:

BArch

Elias

Kostopolous

Poni

Zubrus

And Kovy, Clarkson. Gionta & Carter are all 30 next year...

OLD

Dmen under 28:

Fayne

Larsson

Dmen over 30

Greene

Salvador

Talinder

Zidlicky

Volchenkov

and harrold is 30 next year...

OLD

this team needs a MAJOR injection of Youth, you cannot win in the league when the average age of your team is over 29.5!!! and that does not include the goalies, otherwise our average age is over 30!!

This team needs youth!! and lots of it, we look tired in the 3rd period of every game, and we start slow every game,

So yes i'm 100% serious when I say FIRESALE!!! 

Prospects & picks thats what we need, time to rebuild for the future...

we are the OLDEST team in the NHL, average age of an NHL team is 28.2yrs, we are 1.5 years older than that, which is ALOT...

If you are wondering LA is one of the youngest teams

With those stats above it kinda boggles my mind how David Conte is still looked upon as some scouting genius.

Wow..yeah, this. I mean, granted, they've all (with the exception of Larsson, Merrill and a few others) been mostly late 1st-2nd round picks, but still that's an awfully bad showing.

Edited by Devilsfan118