We Suck

1Guy3Cups

we gotta realized we lots some good coaching staff members too, i think Larry's contribution was underrated. Our D is often a mess, how often did we left a guy wide open by himself for an easy open net while we had all our guys bunched on one side, way too often if you asked me.

Difference is Young team not winning has a future, has possibilities there is optimism!!  An old team not winning has what to look foward to?  Elias & Broduer's numbers getting retired?? Now thats fun for the fans!!

Throwing a bunch of young players together doesn't do anything. As was discussed earlier, teams who do that successfully have years of early round prospects to build with. 

Difference is Young team not winning has a future, has possibilities there is optimism!!  An old team not winning has what to look foward to?  Elias & Broduer's numbers getting retired?? Now thats fun for the fans!!

Islanders have been a relatively young team for a good decade.  Look at where that has taken them.

The age argument is so overblown. Who cares what their age is if they can still play good hockey. Elias's age doesn't mean anything so far in his career. Zubrus is one of our more effective guys at playing this system. Zidlicky has been one of our better dmen at carrying the play to the opposition. Really the only old players that I would say are showing their age and playing poorly are moose, Broduer, Salvador, and Volchenkov. The rest of the guys can play. This stretch of bad hockey isn't because we don't have enough good players its mainly on guys underachieving. Do people really think Zajac, Clarkson, Henrique, Broduer are this bad? Come on people.

we gotta realized we lots some good coaching staff members too, i think Larry's contribution was underrated. Our D is often a mess, how often did we left a guy wide open by himself for an easy open net while we had all our guys bunched on one side, way too often if you asked me.

Well -- Tri has a point in that on paper they're getting it done.  But our eyes tell us they could be doing so much better.  It makes me feel like I'm not understanding something. i kind of hate that. I know I am indeed missing something. I hate feeling stupid - or knowing I do not see something

Well -- Tri has a point in that on paper they're getting it done.  But our eyes tell us they could be doing so much better.  It makes me feel like I'm not understanding something. i kind of hate that. I know I am indeed missing something. I hate feeling stupid - or knowing I do not see something

what was that point made on paper? if its because we're outshooting teams... look at clarkson play... he's taking unscreen shots from the blue line that has zero chances of going in all game long. Thats where our extra shots are coming from haha doesnt mean we were the better teams cause we had more shots

what was that point made on paper? if its because we're outshooting teams... look at clarkson play... he's taking unscreen shots from the blue line that has zero chances of going in all game long. Thats where our extra shots are coming from haha doesnt mean we were the better teams cause we had more shots

:huh:  Why would I think our shooting % would have anything to do with the quality of our D? I'm not THAT out of touch with the position.

no -- our goal differential is pretty darned good. Facts are facts our guys are keeping them out of the net.  Maybe our goalies are just that good -- but you all are saying worse about them old farts!

Oh I'm gettgin fried for that - against SHOTS not goals...

here:

I was waiting for last night's goal to be brought up.  I am not overplaying the difference.  The Devils gave up 26.3 shots per 60 minutes last year at 5v5.  They gave up 42.7 shots per 60 minutes 4v5. You're telling me that all those extra shots were of the same quality faced at even strength?  Or that they were worse, somehow?

Goalies have great years on the PK, it happens.  It's why Ryan Miller exploded that one year.  Tuukka Rask is having one this year for Boston, which is why they're killing 90% of the penalties this year (that and they are doing a fantastic job on the PK).  But you've got to have your goalie stopping the shots, and right now NJ isn't getting that.

Right now NJ is +42.5 shots per 60 on the 5v4 PP and -30.3 shots per 4v5 60 on the PK.  +10 shots/60 is probably one of the best differentials in

the league, but they're only +2 on 5v4 and 4v5 special teams.

I'll be quiet today -- I'm busy!  of all days... grrrr.

Edited by Pepperkorn

:huh:  Why would I think our shooting % would have anything to do with the quality of our D? I'm not THAT out of touch with the position.

no -- our goal differential is pretty darned good. Facts are facts our guys are keeping them out of the net.  Maybe our goalies are just that good -- but you all are saying worse about them old farts!

Oh I'm gettgin fried for that - against SHOTS not goals...

our problem is mostly that the team can never give a full good games as a whole... we had games where we we got goals from people we'd never expect or games where guys like zids would get 2... and the goalies would kill the game or we'd have a good game from our goalies but they'd give up one goal that would make the difference since the guys couldnt score

in a perfect world... Salvador has to go.. he's supposed to be a shutdown defenceman and our eyes and the stats are clearly showing he's doing a terrible job.

Zid and Green are doing a good job and are on par statistically with guys like chara and Seinderberg (minus the expected caught out of position for trying stuff and brain fart here and there)

Larsson is a bit of a let down with just 5 pts but that D-carrousel certainly didnt help him.

Fayne has been really inconsistent but i'd still give him a pass cause we know he can be solid, that carrousel is also hurting him i suspect.

Tallinder i don't mind what he's bringing but for a good return i wouldnt mind to see him gone.

I like Harrold from what im seeing based on what he's getting paid and that he's also caught in that carrousel, the stats may look worst than what it is for him.

Volchenkov to me is useless, he's blocking shots and thats it, he can't handle the puck well at all. He has a NTC which sucks but i'd like to see him gone and see his cap hit used somewhere else. He's simply not bringing enough for what he's getting paid.

Islanders have been a relatively young team for a good decade.  Look at where that has taken them.

You are correct, but if you truly trust in LL as you claim, you know he will make much better decisions about players than the dopes running the Isles!  You must understand that LL is 10x the GM of anyone the Isles have had, look at all the bad trades the isles have made. Too many too count!!

My question is if this team stay as its currently set up what do we have to look forward to?? 

You are correct, but if you truly trust in LL as you claim, you know he will make much better decisions about players than the dopes running the Isles!  You must understand that LL is 10x the GM of anyone the Isles have had, look at all the bad trades the isles have made. Too many too count!!

My question is if this team stay as its currently set up what do we have to look forward to?? 

The offseason that will bring tons of buyouts of talented, but overpaid players.

You are correct, but if you truly trust in LL as you claim, you know he will make much better decisions about players than the dopes running the Isles! You must understand that LL is 10x the GM of anyone the Isles have had, look at all the bad trades the isles have made. Too many too count!!

First off I never said I trusted LL. However since no one on this forum has been the GM of an NHL that I know of, I tend to think he knows at least more than us.

Also this is not the first time you as well as others respond to a rough stretch with "TRADE EVERYONE!!! WE ARE OLD AND WE SUCK AND BLOW UP THE TEAM!!!"

Sometimes I wish we missed the playoffs more often the past 20 years as this fanbase is completely spoiled by success.

The offseason that will bring tons of buyouts of talented, but overpaid players.

Exactly.

IDK about anyone else, but I really haven't been too pissed about the devils struggling this year mostly because I feel this is a throw-away season. It's only 48 games with a brutal schedule and while I won't say whoever wins the cup will only have 1/2 cup, it just doesn't feel right to me. This plus the fact that Philly probably won't make the playoffs and the rags will most likely be one and done if they make it just adds to me not caring how this season turns out as much as others.

Though I will root for them every game and will cheer them on no matter what.

Exactly.

IDK about anyone else, but I really haven't been too pissed about the devils struggling this year mostly because I feel this is a throw-away season. It's only 48 games with a brutal schedule and while I won't say whoever wins the cup will only have 1/2 cup, it just doesn't feel right to me. This plus the fact that Philly probably won't make the playoffs and the rags will most likely be one and done if they make it just adds to me not caring how this season turns out as much as others.

Though I will root for them every game and will cheer them on no matter what.

This year is 90% about not screwing up and 10% about doing well. Too many changes coming next year with the cap dropping. Things will be different and this year is absolutely going to be about not handcuffing your team next year.

First off I never said I trusted LL. However since no one on this forum has been the GM of an NHL that I know of, I tend to think he knows at least more than us.

Also this is not the first time you as well as others respond to a rough stretch with "TRADE EVERYONE!!! WE ARE OLD AND WE SUCK AND BLOW UP THE TEAM!!!"

Sometimes I wish we missed the playoffs more often the past 20 years as this fanbase is completely spoiled by success.

I have not said blow up the team in a real long time( maybe ever,  sure i have wanted players traded, but blwo up the team, no) becuase we have never been this OLD!!  Sorry but when you have more players on the downside of their careers then the upside you are in trouble.  Just 1 man's opinion....( of course its an easy opinion to have when you are the oldest team in the NHL and are 6-16 in your last 22 ganmes!!!

When fully healthy, we have a pretty good group of fwds, JJ included, (It's the same group really except lokti for parise) and a decent set of defensemen along with capable goalies. Time to start ramping up from the recent poor performances now.

When fully healthy, we have a pretty good group of fwds, JJ included, (It's the same group really except lokti for parise) and a decent set of defensemen along with capable goalies. Time to start ramping up from the recent poor performances now.

Exactly. This team is playing below expectations. Now is the true test to see if they can pull it together.. This is the same exact team that got us to the finals (minus minny boy). Have a little faith. 

This is the same exact team that got us to the finals (minus minny boy). Have a little faith. 

Damn straight. And we don't need the prima donna Minny Boy. This roster is good to go. In fact, if Lou didn't make one significant acquisiton from now until next year, I'd be fine with it because I am confident that this group can get it done if they're all healthy. We still have Patty and Marty. As long as those two are wearing Devils red, I will never rule this team out.

Damn straight. And we don't need the prima donna Minny Boy. This roster is good to go. In fact, if Lou didn't make one significant acquisiton from now until next year, I'd be fine with it because I am confident that this group can get it done if they're all healthy. We still have Patty and Marty. As long as those two are wearing Devils red, I will never rule this team out.

we still have patty and Marty yea, I too love them both but neither are really looking so hot at the moment not really helping this team out much