We Suck

1Guy3Cups

Kovy deserves every bit of his contract.  He's done everything his team has asked of him and then some.  Every time he's out there on the penalty kill the Devils are banking on that contract.  The guy plays nearly half of every game for crying out loud.  He takes so much attention from opposing teams our other lines get more room.  That's not to say that he isn't misused because he is but that's where Deboer's incompetance comes in.

Im totally convinced Kovy could score damn near a goal per game if hed want too. But he couldnt while playing a tight system like they are.

He really but really bought deboer/lemaire's system and hes playing it from A to Z. But his skills and dangerousness are toned down a bit by it. But almost everytime were trailing late in a game and that Kovy goes on a mission to make something happen, hes always coming really close to make something happen. Obviously you cant do that all game long cause youd get caught probably.

Kinda the same thing with zach, watching him on team USA or with the Wild... Hes A LOT more dominant there that when he was playing here. Its a bit frustrating but in NJ they play hockey the "right way" with a tight system so obviously you dont have as much creativity or freedom on the ice but usually the team success cover for that.

Kovy is, and has always been, a classic sniper. And while his offensive skill set is completely superior to that of any other player on our team both in terms of technical ability and vision, he's not a typical playmaker. If you want him to produce points at his maximum potential, you need to put him a) on left wing b) next to some kind of playmaker. You want Kovy on the side of our PP firing bombs, not playing QB at the back. There's only a handful of players that "produce" anything solo in the entire game of hockey. And even those guys (Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Ovie) usually have more talent on their lines then Kovy does.

• Like 1

My point is clearly not that Kovy extorded Lou or wtv like buddy is implying, thats exagerating what i said to the extreme lol but its really not as if kovy was simply "offered that contract" and that he signed it ala Gomez who got a crazy ammount of money thrown at him, Kovy cleeeeaaaarrrrllllyyyy wanted to get paid as a top top top player and went for it.

But that is exactly what you implied. You have a tendency to be over dramatic in a ton of your posts only to backtrack afterwards and say that's not what you meant when you get called out on it. This is a message board and I cannot read your mind except for what you post here. When you insinuate that kovy just short of extorted Lou or forced Lou into paying a reidiculous contract then you are coming off as being ridiculous.

But that is exactly what you implied. You have a tendency to be over dramatic in a ton of your posts only to backtrack afterwards and say that's not what you meant when you get called out on it. This is a message board and I cannot read your mind except for what you post here. When you insinuate that kovy just short of extorted Lou or forced Lou into paying a reidiculous contract then you are coming off as being ridiculous.

No its not !! thats the thing you have your idea made already about what i mean cause in your mind im over dramatic. I telling you again youre exagerating.

Like i explained, the Kovy situation is certainly not a situation like Gomez where he was really "offered" that huge contract like the rangers did to take him away from us and then couldnt live up to it.

Now all im saying is that its not the case at all and thats what YOU said, thats its unfair to Kovy cause he was "offered" that contract...

Kovy's agent and Lou/JVB clearly worked together a LOT on that contract off frame works off kovy's demand of what he wanted. Now, thats absolutely NOT saying Kovy had a gun to Lou's head, kovy deserved the right to ask for a lot of money and he did. All i said is that it wasnt true that anything was "unfair to him" cause he was "offered" that big contract, cause clearly it wasnt simply "offered", he was hands on that whole thing the whole time.

On this one sorry but youre over dramatic and assuming stuff.

Edit: better way to put it is that its 2 things for a UFA to have a demand and for GMs to reach it. (Like Kovy, nothing wrong with that) And its another for a UFA to receive a crazy ovepayment offer to really make sure to get him. Like Leino or Gomez for example or a bunch of UFAs every summer.

You made it sound like the 2nd one. And its not by pointing that out that im implying that Kovy extorted Lou or wtv thats a very exagerated way of assuming things.

Edited by SterioDesign

Im totally convinced Kovy could score damn near a goal per game if hed want too. But he couldnt while playing a tight system like they are.

He really but really bought deboer/lemaire's system and hes playing it from A to Z. But his skills and dangerousness are toned down a bit by it. But almost everytime were trailing late in a game and that Kovy goes on a mission to make something happen, hes always coming really close to make something happen. Obviously you cant do that all game long cause youd get caught probably.

Kinda the same thing with zach, watching him on team USA or with the Wild... Hes A LOT more dominant there that when he was playing here. Its a bit frustrating but in NJ they play hockey the "right way" with a tight system so obviously you dont have as much creativity or freedom on the ice but usually the team success cover for that.

And just to add, people also have to realize that Kovy came from a team and system built around him.. He's now on the Devils and has bought into the Devils' "team first" system, so his numbers may not be as inflated, but I really don't care as long as his contribution to the overall system makes us a better team

And just to add, people also have to realize that Kovy came from a team and system built around him.. He's now on the Devils and has bought into the Devils' "team first" system, so his numbers may not be as inflated, but I really don't care as long as his contribution to the overall system makes us a better team

Also we have to think that kovy's contract wont be as bad as people think in the future... Think about it in 8 years from now youre gonna have a 6.6m cap 37 years old kovalchuk and a 8.2m cap hit 35 years old getzlaf... Whats better at that point really? Plus the cap will be alot higher so a 6.6m cap hit wont be nothing and kovy can be dangerous simply standing in the zone with his vision and shot / one timer

Dan he clearly has been tentative with his shots this year.. Don't you agree that he should be making moves instead of trying to always set up for the one timers.. The revolving door of line changes ultimately has been the death of the team this year. I know Debor is attempting to find chemistry.. But it just hasn't , the lack of consistency is making it hard for lines to click.. I have to say this has a big affect on his overall points..

I think he's just having a bad year. Guys have years where things just don't work. This is probably one of those seasons. Seems to be that no one can get going this year on this team. There's probably a lot of factors. No Parise, a lot of inconsistencies, the lockout. Its just a strange year. I really am not putting much stock in this season.

He spent half the season in the KHL. Maybe all those games are affecting him.

I think he's just having a bad year. Guys have years where things just don't work. This is probably one of those seasons. Seems to be that no one can get going this year on this team. There's probably a lot of factors. No Parise, a lot of inconsistencies, the lockout. Its just a strange year. I really am not putting much stock in this season.

He spent half the season in the KHL. Maybe all those games are affecting him.

you have to think too, seriously how many goals from Kovy are a question of like... 2-3inches and that from like 40 feets away. PING ! Post in... post down... perfect top corner etc etc.

you don't need a lot of bad luck to screw the datas from year to year seriously. But somehow he's always been consistent... the guy is a beast. My only knock on Kovy is that he's not aggressive enough after guys on the forecheck or when guys are skating by him with the puck, he seems to just glide while trying to hook them and if he can't well too bad. But the guy is playing like 50min a game haha he can't go on all cylinders all game long.

Edited by SterioDesign

Maybe he should be playing a little less. I would rather see him dominate on less time then say play 90% cause of fatigue.. I would think by mid 3rd period he has to be gassed..

well maybe, maybe its just not in him too. 

Edited by SterioDesign

To the all of the reactionaries who missed my point before, which was directed at ONE poster and only one poster:

I don't have a problem with fans criticizing the team.  Clearly all is not well in Devil-land at the moment.  I just don't like when some fans act like they're entitled to never having to experience a downturn, and clearly don't appreciate the fact that it's been 25 years since the Devils had an extended period of irrelevance.  When some fans start acting like the Devils owe them something, after all they've treated to since '87-'88...I'm sorry, that ridiculous.   

They will finish the season 2-6-2 if they're lucky. This is the most putrid sack of garbage devils team I've seen since the Johnny Maclean disaster

I hate to say I agree with this, but I agree with this. Tonight was my breaking point. I've tried to stay positive throughout this whole stretch, but I've reached the point where I've seen enough to know what the deal is. As I said after the Boston game- it just isn't our year. Here's to hopefully a top 10 pick and success in 2014.

To the all of the reactionaries who missed my point before, which was directed at ONE poster and only one poster:

I don't have a problem with fans criticizing the team.  Clearly all is not well in Devil-land at the moment.  I just don't like when some fans act like they're entitled to never having to experience a downturn, and clearly don't appreciate the fact that it's been 25 years since the Devils had an extended period of irrelevance.  When some fans start acting like the Devils owe them something, after all they've treated to since '87-'88...I'm sorry, that ridiculous.   

i realise this wasn't pointed at me, but in response to something i said a few pages back as well. what i said wasn't purely directed at you, but just in general.

this team doesn't owe me anything. i became a serious fan after all of the stanley cup success. i cheer them on and have spent countless thousands from across the pacific. i love them, hockey is the greatest sport in the world (followed by NFL and MLB).

im just a passionate person who can also see without the rose colored glasses. it's just frustrating after last year's run (which i am sure a lot of people feel exactly the way i do).

regardless of how we end up in 3 weeks time, i will still be here throughout the off-season and the start of the new season. heck, i still want to make another trip over the pond during the 13-14 season since i was in NYC/NJ in October 2012 and the lockout was still on (unfortunately i planned and paid for my trip before it was definite the season was cut). I am also glad i got to see marty in at least one winning game in 2010.

i bleed red, black and white. i never won't.

I hate to say I agree with this, but I agree with this. Tonight was my breaking point. I've tried to stay positive throughout this whole stretch, but I've reached the point where I've seen enough to know what the deal is. As I said after the Boston game- it just isn't our year. Here's to hopefully a top 10 pick and success in 2014.

On the upside, this season is short. On the downside, they were a top team after 1/4 of the season. I dunno what's worse. If I was PDB, I'd be mildly concerned about my job.

They're paying the price now for making too many mistakes since last year. Bad contracts to old guys, not replacing or even trying to replace Parise, no fresh blood, old defense with hardly any offensive talent, nobody back there with a decent shot from the point during the PP...

They also should've forfeited their 1st rounder last year. I mean, it was clear it wouldn't get any lower and why did they draft Matteau?!? C'mon. Guys like that are a dime a dozen. Another hard working, non scoring winger. Just forfeiting the pick would have been the right thing to do. No they will do it next year when it will be a top 10 pick or s.th. like that. Boy, would that suck.

With this team, and that is the only positive, you can simply go to bed when the other team scores first. So much extra sleep! Even a 0-1 deficit is too much for the Devils to overcome. There is just no offensive talent. So frustrating.   

They're paying the price now for making too many mistakes since last year. Bad contracts to old guys, not replacing or even trying to replace Parise, no fresh blood, old defense with hardly any offensive talent, nobody back there with a decent shot from the point during the PP...

They also should've forfeited their 1st rounder last year. I mean, it was clear it wouldn't get any lower and why did they draft Matteau?!? C'mon. Guys like that are a dime a dozen. Another hard working, non scoring winger. Just forfeiting the pick would have been the right thing to do. No they will do it next year when it will be a top 10 pick or s.th. like that. Boy, would that suck.

With this team, and that is the only positive, you can simply go to bed when the other team scores first. So much extra sleep! Even a 0-1 deficit is too much for the Devils to overcome. There is just no offensive talent. So frustrating.   

Why didn't Lou forfeit last year? It was a late pick in a relatively unskilled draft right?