Devils Rangers Winterclassic?

Beetlebum

Yankee Stadium Winter Classic would be Rangers-Bruins or Rangers-Pittsburgh.  I agree that the only way the Devils get involved is if they play a secondary game after the Rags game.  What's interesting is say if the 2014 game is in Dodger Stadium and the 2015 game is in the Bronx, if the NHL keeps the New Years Day timing of the game New Years Day is on a Thursday so there would be plenty of opportunity to have a Devils-Islanders game (or Devils v. Flyers & Islanders v. Capitals doubleheader) at Yankee Stadium on Friday 1/2 or Saturday 1/3 and perhaps make it an NHL Network or NBC Sports Network game nationally.

two years ago when the Devils had that Q/A campaign, I went to the Rutgers one and someone asked this to Vanderbeek. He said that it is unlikely the Winter Classic will happen in Yankee Stadium. He said they looked into it and said the Yankees won't do it because it interferes with the PinStripe Bowl

Edited by grcenter47

Thank You!

If they use Yankee Stadium it won't happen on New Years Day becase they have a college bowl game two days before! The Yankees are locked in with a multi year contract with the Ncaa and I would be shocked if they didn't renew.

The last game of that contract is either this season or next, but I believe it is this season.  Although, it is really a nothing-bowl.  Could easily be moved (and it probably would be smart to move it) to mid-december on a thursday night where it can actually get some attention.

As for a game itself in NY, I would MUCH rather have it at Giants Stadium instead of either of the baseball stadiums.  Much better sight-lines and bigger.  If not there, my second choice would be Miche Stadium at West Point.  Holds about 45,000, overlooks the Hudson river.  Great old-school venue.  Aside from an alumni game, could also have an Army-Navy outdoor game.  As for Giants Stadium, if that means moving it to February, that is fine by me.  President's Day weekend would be a great time to have it.

As for teams, I would love to have Rangers-Isles or Rangers-Devils, and I think Bettman would love that, as well.  Problem is NBC allegedly has said they want two different tv markets involved.  I think that is a crock, as I do not know any hockey fan that hasn't watched each WC even though their favorite team was not participating.

The last game of that contract is either this season or next, but I believe it is this season.  Although, it is really a nothing-bowl.  Could easily be moved (and it probably would be smart to move it) to mid-december on a thursday night where it can actually get some attention.

As for a game itself in NY, I would MUCH rather have it at Giants Stadium instead of either of the baseball stadiums.  Much better sight-lines and bigger.  If not there, my second choice would be Miche Stadium at West Point.  Holds about 45,000, overlooks the Hudson river.  Great old-school venue.  Aside from an alumni game, could also have an Army-Navy outdoor game.  As for Giants Stadium, if that means moving it to February, that is fine by me.  President's Day weekend would be a great time to have it.

As for teams, I would love to have Rangers-Isles or Rangers-Devils, and I think Bettman would love that, as well.  Problem is NBC allegedly has said they want two different tv markets involved.  I think that is a crock, as I do not know any hockey fan that hasn't watched each WC even though their favorite team was not participating.

So when are you raising Giants stadium from the rubble? methinks that would be quite the time consuming endeavor. In the meantime Metlife Stadium is a suitable option

As for Michie Stadium...well it would provide a nice wintry scene that's for sure, however it's a bit too upstate and back-country...and doesn't give any of that NY feel that NBC/NHL is looking for.

The reason there wasn't a rangers game at Yankee stadium before they committed to the

Pinstripe bowl was exactly the devils. The Yankees would not give it to the rangers without the devils because of Lou's involvement with the yanks and his relationship with randy Levine and lonn trost.

Lou would very much like to be in one and so would jvb obviously.

Devils - Rangers @ Yankee stadium in Nov or feb is possible for sure

The reason there wasn't a rangers game at Yankee stadium before they committed to the

Pinstripe bowl was exactly the devils. The Yankees would not give it to the rangers without the devils because of Lou's involvement with the yanks and his relationship with randy Levine and lonn trost.

Lou would very much like to be in one and so would jvb obviously.

Devils - Rangers @ Yankee stadium in Nov or feb is possible for sure

Do you think Lou would allow the 24/7 thing to happen though? That sounds like the absolute last thing that would ever happen. Just too much insider info getting out.

Or do you think Lou would just demand in writing that he be guaranteed to be able to cut what he wants from the show, without interference.

Edited by ATLL765

Do you think Lou would allow the 24/7 thing to happen though? That sounds like the absolute last thing that would ever happen. Just too much insider info getting out.

Or do you think Lou would just demand in writing that he be guaranteed to be able to cut what he wants from the show, without interference.

I think Lou would agree to a limited 24/7...but he realizes the national level of exposure for the Devils playing in a winter classic should trump his own paranoia about limited access. It would be great for the franchise and Lou will relent.

The Devils will not be in a Winter Classic.  I think God made that the 11th Commandment, but nobody knows about it because Moses couldn't physically carry the 3rd tablet so he left it behind.

However, from reading articles about the additional outdoor games the NHL plans on holding, they want to use them to increase regional interest on a day like "Hockey day in America."  Therefore, a Rags-Isles or Rags-Devils game at Yankee Stadium would be much more likely for one of the secondary outdoor games.

I don't think a Winter Classic for us is completely out of the question. If they decide to do the multiple regional based games, we're an obvious possibility to be matched with the Rags. Our attendance this year has been fantastic (#s rank low b/c of capacity) and that accounts for something with the league office. I wouldn't think it likely, but I wouldn't be totally surprised by it.

At the very least, I think we will see a Devils outdoor game sometime in the future. It may not be billed as "the" Winter Classic, but the gates are incredible for outdoor hockey and everyone wins and in this area, there's more than enough Rags and Devils fans to sell out a stadium hockey game.

I don't think a Winter Classic for us is completely out of the question. If they decide to do the multiple regional based games, we're an obvious possibility to be matched with the Rags. Our attendance this year has been fantastic (#s rank low b/c of capacity) and that accounts for something with the league office. I wouldn't think it likely, but I wouldn't be totally surprised by it.

At the very least, I think we will see a Devils outdoor game sometime in the future. It may not be billed as "the" Winter Classic, but the gates are incredible for outdoor hockey and everyone wins and in this area, there's more than enough Rags and Devils fans to sell out a stadium hockey game.

It is out of the question.   Multiple regional based games are called "regular season".    To do that would destroy any cache the WC has.

It is out of the question.   Multiple regional based games are called "regular season".    To do that would destroy any cache the WC has.

Exactly.  The Devils will never play any outdoor game whatsoever unless the roof blows off the arena.

Devils fans really need to drop this.

• Like 1

Exactly.  The Devils will never play any outdoor game whatsoever unless the roof blows off the arena.

Devils fans really need to drop this.

What's the difference between Devils-Rags or Rags-Isles at Yankee Stadium and Kings-Ducks at Dodger Stadium?  I personally think the NHL would be stupid to hold anything other than the Winter Classic on 1/1 every year, but they seem hell bent on expanding the outdoor hockey experience through "regional" matchups in order to increase revenue.  I can see the Devils being a part of one of those lesser games down the road. 

What's the difference between Devils-Rags or Rags-Isles at Yankee Stadium and Kings-Ducks at Dodger Stadium?  I personally think the NHL would be stupid to hold anything other than the Winter Classic on 1/1 every year, but they seem hell bent on expanding the outdoor hockey experience through "regional" matchups in order to increase revenue.  I can see the Devils being a part of one of those lesser games down the road. 

Neither the Kings or Ducks have been treated like the redheaded stephchild by the NHL at any point.  Both have also won the Stanley Cup since the 2005 lockout and are on everyone's radar.

The Devils could win 5 more cups in the next 10 years and have a rivalry with the Rags that would surpass that of the Yankees and Red Sox and they still wouldn't be in the Winter Classic.  That's just how it is and I really do not see why it is such a big deal to be in it anyways.  Its a regular season game played outdoors on terrible ice conditions with a huge media circus/distractions going on around it.  Big friggin deal.

I agree with you that it really is overblown and isn't a big deal in my mind.  Quite frankly, I really don't want to sit outside in freezing cold temps. to watch a game from seats with a terrible viewing angle/obstructed view just for the sake of saying I went to a game at Yankee Stadium.

IMO, the Ducks aren't on anyone's radar.  At best, they are the Devils of the LA hockey market, which isn't saying much.  Plus, I'm not saying the Devils would be in a WC, but in 1 of the additional proposed "Hockey Day in America" games currently being discussed.  Based upon everything Buttman is about ($$$), as well as the well leaked reports currently circulating, it's just a matter of time before there are 2-3 additional outdoor games played each season involving different teams outside the NBC core.  Devils/Rags would sell out Yankee Stadium, and he knows it.  $$$ talks, and that game (especially the first one in this market) will make a LOT of money for both the teams and the league.  How adding these types of games will diminish the WC is anyone's guess, but like I said before, I believe the WC and the Heritage Classic should be the only outdoor games the NHL holds.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

I agree with you that it really is overblown and isn't a big deal in my mind.  Quite frankly, I really don't want to sit outside in freezing cold temps. to watch a game from seats with a terrible viewing angle/obstructed view just for the sake of saying I went to a game at Yankee Stadium.

IMO, the Ducks aren't on anyone's radar.  At best, they are the Devils of the LA hockey market, which isn't saying much.  Plus, I'm not saying the Devils would be in a WC, but in 1 of the additional proposed "Hockey Day in America" games currently being discussed.  Based upon everything Buttman is about ($$$), as well as the well leaked reports currently circulating, it's just a matter of time before there are 2-3 additional outdoor games played each season involving different teams outside the NBC core.  Devils/Rags would sell out Yankee Stadium, and he knows it.  $$$ talks, and that game (especially the first one in this market) will make a LOT of money for both the teams and the league.  How adding these types of games will diminish the WC is anyone's guess, but like I said before, I believe the WC and the Heritage Classic should be the only outdoor games the NHL holds.

NHL probably wants multiple outdoor games, but I bet NBC doesn't.  They want a single, nationally-televised game that they can promote the hell out for months beforehand and get as many sponsors as they can.  With mulitple regional games, they will dilute the Winter Classic which is the opposite of what they want.  The NHL and Bettman may want as many outdoor games as they want, but as long as NBC has the television contract I bet they will put a stop to it right away.

There is no difference, which is why you will never see the Devils, Isles or Ducks in Winter Classic match, regardless of where it is played.  They are not TV markets and would kill the ratings and the prestige the league has built with the WC game.

Michie stadium holds under 40k with the new press box they put in a few years back. They took out the last of the remaining chairbacks last year so the venue is completely benches despite a few rows in the Hoffman club.

The last time I checked Giants stadium was torn down a few years back.

There is no difference, which is why you will never see the Devils, Isles or Ducks in Winter Classic match, regardless of where it is played.  They are not TV markets and would kill the ratings and the prestige the league has built with the WC game.

The WC will forever be a rotation involving the NBC core teams.  I'm not arguing that the Devils will ever be in a WC game.  We all know that won't happen.  All I'm saying is, if the NHL holds additional outdoor games each season, they will likely be involved in one of those games against a team like the Rangers in Yankee Stadium.

The Kings-Ducks game being talked about at Dodger's Stadium is not going to be a WC.  It is rumored as being a 2nd US outdoor game held next season on "Hockey Day in America."  No way NBC would ever go for Kings-Ducks on New Year's Day, regardless of the venue.

Neither the Kings or Ducks have been treated like the redheaded stephchild by the NHL at any point.  Both have also won the Stanley Cup since the 2005 lockout and are on everyone's radar.

The Devils could win 5 more cups in the next 10 years and have a rivalry with the Rags that would surpass that of the Yankees and Red Sox and they still wouldn't be in the Winter Classic.  That's just how it is and I really do not see why it is such a big deal to be in it anyways.  Its a regular season game played outdoors on terrible ice conditions with a huge media circus/distractions going on around it.  Big friggin deal.

Yeah, I'd prefer not to be in it for these reasons:

1. I won't be able to afford a ticket

2. It's a distraction involving bad ice, unfamiliar boards, stupid sweaters and sunlight.

3. Having to have HBO follow the team around for a month.

Yeah, I'd prefer not to be in it for these reasons:

1. I won't be able to afford a ticket

2. It's a distraction involving bad ice, unfamiliar boards, stupid sweaters and sunlight.

3. Having to have HBO follow the team around for a month.

The only thing I like about the WC are those new sweaters as I am a little bit of a jersey freak.

I could live without the rest.

The only thing I like about the WC are those new sweaters as I am a little bit of a jersey freak.

I could live without the rest.

Who are we kidding, we know the Devils are gonna pull out the Christmas jerseys if we ever get one. I could also see Lou pulling out the pre-Reebok black and red ones  :giggle: