Time to wave the white flag?

snartly

when we lose marty we lose his puck play too, devils will have a steep learning curve playing in front of a butterfly.

imo was a lot of why moose had a rough go at it, they wernt scoring for him either or any offensive pressure.

edit: oh and no waving of white flags please.

Edited by lazer

Oh I wasn't questioning you at all, I was really asking if you think that could be a reason he keeps getting the nod over Bernier. I know Bernier was out for a week or two due to his grandmother passing away and he just wasn't there mentally because of it.

Quick needs to level his game back out because Conn Smythe or not, he's not going to be absolved of a poor save %, especially in the LA market

I get the idea Quick is a bit of a cack.  I think he's a good hockey player and has hockey character on ice.  But he's a real sh!t off ice now.  I'll give him time to adjust and I didn't write about him sooner - but he's not very down to earth.  I like players who stay down to earth at least in some area.  To not -- it means you're not grounded - then you're not prepared to deal with adversity as well as you should be.  It's just weak.  He'll be OK and I wouldn't mind him on the Devils. But I think he's a cack :evil:

(hey -- he's from my home town in case you all forgot so I'm not totally talking out of my ass this time, like I do about everyone else :giggle:  )

Edited by Pepperkorn

Brodeur faced 18 shots tonight and made 13 saves. Even being super nice he shouldve easily had 2 of those goals...Ill look the other way on that goalmouth scramble where chubsy couldnt find the puck since it was in that hard to reach place (right under his glove) and the ref whistled the play and then handed boston a goal.

This was a piss poor effort. An average goaltending peformance nets us two points.

Brodeur faced 18 shots tonight and made 13 saves. Even being super nice he shouldve easily had 2 of those goals...Ill look the other way on that goalmouth scramble where chubsy couldnt find the puck since it was in that hard to reach place (right under his glove) and the ref whistled the play and then handed boston a goal.

This was a piss poor effort. An average goaltending peformance nets us two points.

Well, he played fine in a bunch of games where the offense had nothing, so it just goes that way sometimes.

Also, the chubsy and fatso stuff is so lame. He's 6'2 and 215 lbs. He's hardly fat.

Re:  Marty...with that performance, the season save% is now down to .902.  Last three seasons, including this one (with seasonal rankings):  .903 (33rd), .908 (33rd), .902 (35th).  In so many ways, he has BEEN the franchise, the rock, the guy you knew could give you 70+ games of terrific goaltending.  But as Tri has pointed out, when one chooses to get forensic about it, and strip away all of the nostalgia and memories (which I admit is VERY hard to do), he's now a barely-average puck stopper who is more prone to breaking down physically, and who still has some intangibles, but I don't know how much the intangibles offset the other realities.

Could the Devils still win with him?  Probably, but it would mean having to minimize his importance and impact on games at this point...Marty is simply not capable of covering up for any team deficiencies anymore, and I don't know of too many almost-41-year-old goalies who should be able to do such a thing.  In a perfect world, the Devils would have a stacked team full of offensive and defensive talent, and all Marty would have to do is be competent most nights.  Unfortunately, it looks like this team and very likely next year's team is going to need top-line, spectacular, almost mistake-free goaltending most nights to win.  Marty is simply not capable of that anymore, and that's not a knock, it's a fact...how many teams would ask that of a guy his age, let alone expect it?  Marty is the guy who needs to be carried now, not the guy who does the carrying.  I wish the team was in the position to nurse him and help him to one last Stanley Cup run, but they're clearly not.

I would love nothing more than for Marty and the Devils to do enough to squeak into the playoffs, and even if they get swept in the first round, if Marty was a lot of the reason the Devils got to the playoffs in the first place, I think he could leave the game with his head held high.  I've always said that I don't want it to ever get painful or embarrassing for him, and I'm having a hard time seeing how he's going to be much better than he is now, especially with the quality of the team that will be in front of him, and at his age, I don't even know if he can maintain the level of the past three seasons. 

I guess as this point, I'm hoping that it's not set in stone that, even with his contract running through next season, he's a lock to be the Devils' #1 guy next year.  I hope Marty and Lou talk and I hope Marty really thinks it through, because nothing would be harder to see than for the team to not be very good and Marty to follow suit, or even worse, for the team to be pretty good, but losing due to sub-par goaltending on Marty's part. 

he's now a barely-average puck stopper who is more prone to breaking down physically, and who still has some intangibles, but I don't know how much the intangibles offset the other realities.

I'm going to get hell-flamed for this, and I can see people bringing out a lot of negative comments toward me but I'm going to beat them to it first. Yes, I am in another country, yes I haven't religiously followed this team for the last 20 years, yes I do understand the importance of the role Marty has played in the Devils organisation ever since his first game/win against Boston all those years ago.

Now, in part because of how I grew up on hockey from across the pond as they say, I believe I may have different perceptions and views on things, especially watching the Devils game in and out over the last 5-6 seasons.

Marty has been in the decline for the past few years. Now in saying that, he can still stand on his head, pull out some amazing saves, and still even win games for us -at times-.

However, I believe that most glaringly, since the 2009 season, and especially that god-awful Carolina playoff series (yes, yes, old wounds, etc), there is just a continuation and growing amount of goals, and more so -plays-, that Marty has just left me scratching my head. More often than not, it's not the puck-stopping that has been an issue, but the decision making that we all jumped on Moose for this season, that Marty has also slowly made bad decisions.

It's not just this current/past season, it has been growing for the last few years. Of course, we would never throw him out to dry, nor should we. However it is something I have noticed.

So in essence, i agree with CR1976, i just have my own thoughts on Marty as well.

Anyone who uses Sean Avery as inspiration to insult a player, has zero credibility. Just remember, without Brodeur, and a few others, this team moves to Nashville in 96 or somewhere else soon after. Embarrassing lack of respect for one of the game's greats.

That being said, that was probably the worst hockey game I've been to in the past five years, and I've worked for the FHL. Neither team could string together more than a pass or two. Boston just happened to suck less.

Well, he played fine in a bunch of games where the offense had nothing, so it just goes that way sometimes.

Also, the chubsy and fatso stuff is so lame. He's 6'2 and 215 lbs. He's hardly fat.

Just wanted to mention that I agree Marty is on the decline. I'm not ignoring it. I just can't stand how willing everyone is to pounce on him. The greats all decline. Hopefully he realizes it and retires after his contract expires.

Easier to blame one man than 12 forwards who, outside of last nights anomoly, couldn't find their way out of a tshirt let alone the back of the net

Just wanted to mention that I agree Marty is on the decline. I'm not ignoring it. I just can't stand how willing everyone is to pounce on him. The greats all decline. Hopefully he realizes it and retires after his contract expires.

That's the one thing I worry about.  I think the Devils are going to take one for Marty next season and let him play out his contract, even though they know he's probably not going to be all that good overall.  Marty should return the favor, not pull a Messier, and not put the Devils and Lou in an awkward situation...just say the right things and call it a career.  Clearly it's been a great union for both parties...hopefully it ends on good terms.

Marty is keeping us in most of the games, the powerplay wreck really didn't help him last night. He's an above average goalie right now in the league, that's better than anything we can trade for/ call up.

The defense keeping the shot totals down is helping Marty have the chance to keep the Devils in games.  Since he's come back (10 GP), the Devils have allowed 214 SOG...that's pretty damned low...I know the mere stat by itself doesn't account for quality of shots, but the Devils DO keep shots down consistently.  Marty's stopped 190 of them, for an .888 save%...not good.  If you want to take out last night's game, that's a .903 save%...still not very good.  He's not the only issue, clearly, but he's not really helping either.  I don't have a bad word to say about him, but to say he's been above average isn't really accurate.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Marty also has very poor lateral movement. That's why he flops and goes for a pad stack. He also has a hard time squaring up to shots from the left circle.

I think the years have caught up to him, as well as the more recent injuries. He's had a couple of minor knee surgeries over the years, plus a lot of shoulder issues. As CR76 said, I hope next year is his good-bye lap, and I hope they bring in someone capable of handling a decent workload as his 'backup' (for lack of a better term).