Larsson

Daniel

Can someone explain to me how he can't be considered anything other than a bust. The only thing I keep hearing is "he's only 19".

But I fail to see anything he does well. He panics with the puck, is generally solely responsible for at least 2 scoring chances against every game. Offensively he looks no better than Volchenkhov, especially if you weren't looking at the name on the back of the jersey.

Maybe he'd be we'll served to spend next year in Albany or in Sweden if the CBA allows for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Daniel

Can someone explain to me how he can't be considered anything other than a bust. The only thing I keep hearing is "he's only 19". But I fail to see anything he does well. He panics with the puck, is generally solely responsible for at least 2 scoring chances against every game. Offensively he looks no better than Volchenkhov, especially if you weren't looking at the name on the back of the jersey. Maybe he'd be we'll served to spend next year in Albany or in Sweden if the CBA allows for that.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

He was one of our best defenders, especially on the PK, when we were on our hot streak.

We're all hypercritical of every player and nitpicking their mistakes, myself included, cause we're not getting breaks.

@ Daniel...Way too early to have this conversation.  Maybe you don't want to hear this, but he IS young (20).  He has 94 NHL games under his belt...that in itself is an achievement at his age.  In a perfect world, sure, he'd look like a veteran right off the bat, but you have to give him more time than one full season and one truncated. 

@Carter...if he can't "take it" before the deadline, his value probably isn't going to be that high.  Teams who think he's got something are going to try to get him on the cheap.  You have a better chance of getting fleeced than getting a good return.

He gets run every single game. Makes me think the NHL told the refs not to call anything because they were mad we won the lottery. 

I would be scared if I got ran every single game. He does need to bulk up and start dropping people making runs at him and then the league will stop.

He will be fine though, devils are making a true devil D at this time and his offence talent will click in in a year or two

And just to be clear, I actually do want to hear why I'm wrong. This isn't trolling.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Look around the league at all the great defensemen; Chara, Weber, Suter, etc. Most of these guys aren't playing in the league until they're like 22. I don't think it's a stretch to say he's the fourth best dman on the team after Greene, Fayne and Tallinder

Offensively Larsson has a long way to go but his awareness in the offensive zone is very good - he's willing to pass the puck rather than shoot and he can find open lanes in the offensive zone which is remarkable at his age.

Defensively he has a ways to go too but one of these training camps he'll show up with decent speed and that'll be enough - his passing ability is off the charts.

Larsson has excellent vision and excellent passing. He hasn't played much this year so we havnt seen it much but I remember last year he was making some crazy good outlet passes. The kid needs to improve his skating mostly, I think that's why limits his defensive game. Overall I still think he's one of our better dmen. He has a ton of potential

What I hope the plan is for Larsson this summer is to have a power-skating coach help him improve his footspeed. That's really my only problem is that he's not fast enough. But seeing what he's doing at the age of 20 is very impressive. You have to understand Daniel- defensemen develop at a much slower pace. I remember people saying the same kind of stuff about Niedermayer and Pronger early in their careers. Hell, Hartford gave up on Pronger and traded him for Shanahan. How'd that work out about 3 Norris Trophies or so later?

Good vision but is very soft and no killer instinct. Doesn't have another gear everything is the same speed. Need to make him more aggressive, not sure if that is possible.

It is a travesty that he is getting yanked around on his developmental curve for Volchy and Bryce fvcking Salvador

What I hope the plan is for Larsson this summer is to have a power-skating coach help him improve his footspeed. That's really my only problem is that he's not fast enough. But seeing what he's doing at the age of 20 is very impressive. You have to understand Daniel- defensemen develop at a much slower pace. I remember people saying the same kind of stuff about Niedermayer and Pronger early in their careers. Hell, Hartford gave up on Pronger and traded him for Shanahan. How'd that work out about 3 Norris Trophies or so later?

Pronger was a stone cold killer. Larsson just doesn't have that

Good vision but is very soft and no killer instinct. Doesn't have another gear everything is the same speed. Need to make him more aggressive, not sure if that is possible.

It is a travesty that he is getting yanked around on his developmental curve for Volchy and Bryce fvcking Salvador What I hope the plan is for Larsson this summer is to have a power-skating coach help him improve his footspeed. That's really my only problem is that he's not fast enough. But seeing what he's doing at the age of 20 is very impressive. You have to understand Daniel- defensemen develop at a much slower pace. I remember people saying the same kind of stuff about Niedermayer and Pronger early in their careers. Hell, Hartford gave up on Pronger and traded him for Shanahan. How'd that work out about 3 Norris Trophies or so later?

Pronger was a stone cold killer. Larsson just doesn't have that

I'm not making a direct comparison. I'm saying that defensemen take longer to develop, and I was using Nieds and Pronger (two totally different types of defensemen, obviously) as examples of this.

And just to be clear, I actually do want to hear why I'm wrong. This isn't trolling. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My opinion, we're not going to see Larsson at peak ability for another 2-3 years. Most forwards aren't going to break out with a real good season until year 4, which btw, starts with the player's 247th game if they played all games in the past 3 years previous to that. My guess, is a defenseman probably needs at least another season before he shows what he's really got. So I'll call him a bust in about 150 more games.

Can someone explain to me how he can't be considered anything other than a bust. The only thing I keep hearing is "he's only 19". But I fail to see anything he does well. He panics with the puck, is generally solely responsible for at least 2 scoring chances against every game. Offensively he looks no better than Volchenkhov, especially if you weren't looking at the name on the back of the jersey. Maybe he'd be we'll served to spend next year in Albany or in Sweden if the CBA allows for that. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How does Larsson compare to Victor Hedman, another highly ranked Swedish dman in drafts previous? Has Hedman been a bust?

He's been pretty solid for them, just not quite the offensive threat they had initially thought they had. Though he's having a decent year point wise this season.

I think the treatment of him has been pretty deplorable this season. What I'm seeing is a guy who is, for whatever reason, afraid to make plays. Is it because PDB seems to employ a "one strike and you're out"-tactic with half his d-corps? If I knew that I had to be close to perfect every night to stay in the line up, I would be worried on the ice too. Larsson has hinted at as much in his recent comments. 

Early last season he was pretty fearless and that seems to have been beaten out of him. I wouldn't mind giving him a stint in the minors to get him some damn consistent ice time and time on special teams. 

I'm not making a direct comparison. I'm saying that defensemen take longer to develop, and I was using Nieds and Pronger (two totally different types of defensemen, obviously) as examples of this.

That, I agree with. I just don't think Larsson has the tools to develop into a game changing defensemen like that

This thread again? Although I'll give Daniel more credit, he's not just trolling the older thread's creator was.

Pros:

- Great Passer

- Great awareness

- 19 years young, good size

Cons:

- Sub-par skating

- Plays scared/tends to panic

He shouldn't be gifted minutes over veterans like Tallinder, Greene, Zidlicky, Fayne and Volchenkov. He needs to earn his keep.

But when PBD dresses AHL fodder like Harrold over him it blows my mind and pisses me right off.