Elias about Lou's free agents approach

SterioDesign

I'd be seriously baffled to see him go elsewhere. My guess is he signs for 2 more years for somewhere around $4-5M. Jagr got $4.55M from Dallas. That's on one year, so I think we can probably sign Elias to a similar number.

I would not be.  We all know Patty's history here, and he has been a top player every season.  The fact that Lou is pulling his "no contract talk during the season" shenanigans is ridiculous.  He needs to retire that idiotic policy immediately.  He made an exception for Zajac a few months back, how about some respect for one of the next 2 guys to have their name and number in our rafters?!?!?

the problem is and Lou doesnt seem to recognize this... we're not dealing from a higher ground like we always did... the team is not that attractive anymore.. we're not a guarantee show in the playoffs anymore, do i want to sign to a team where in 2 years theres HUGE questions in net and even who will be GM by half of my contract? 

i mean im pretty damn sure part of the decision for Zach to jump ship was based on that... the wilds are young and have a really deep group of prospects and you know the best is ahead of that team... seems like it was the opposite for the Devils... aging group with lots of question marks about the future, even the ownership situation was shacky...

I would not be.  We all know Patty's history here, and he has been a top player every season.  The fact that Lou is pulling his "no contract talk during the season" shenanigans is ridiculous.  He needs to retire that idiotic policy immediately.  He made an exception for Zajac a few months back, how about some respect for one of the next 2 guys to have their name and number in our rafters?!?!?

If Elias didn't like he could have left years ago, he didn't and I could care less about Lou's FA policy. It is what it is and it's worked well enough up to this point and I still don't feel like that's the reason Zach left, so I don't see your point at all.

If Elias didn't like he could have left years ago, he didn't and I could care less about Lou's FA policy. It is what it is and it's worked well enough up to this point and I still don't feel like that's the reason Zach left, so I don't see your point at all.

I will make it easy to understand for you.  If the PLAYERS that will become FA's prefer to talk about their contract during the season, YOU DO IT!!  (assuming you want to sign the player)  I think everyone here would agree that unless Elias is demanding absurd money or contract length, the Devils would like to resign him.  What does Lou see as a benefit of this policy?!?  How do you think Patty feels about the organization right now, given that he has heard nothing about the contract, but he saw Lou break his own rule for Travis recently?!?  It obviously bothers some guys, and if Patty is talking about it to the media I do not think it is too difficult to see what is going on.  I also believe, if the Devils pushed for Parise during the season he may have signed with us......that we will never know.

Exactly.  I am sick of his side show, good riddance old man.....

Time for new blood to take the reigns.....

This almost sounds like trolling.

Just remember that younger, newer, and different doesn't always equal better.  You're used to seeing your team make the playoffs almost every single year.  Not a lot of fans can say that.  And even though the Devils have had their share of first-round hiccups (when they were high-seeded favorites), they've been to five SCF since '95.  Like DD56 says...careful what you wish for. 

i made that remark before but Lou is exactly like George Lucas and Steve Jobs...

nobody in the world can deny the good they did. But they all dealt and made things their way in a very oldschool and hard ass fashion and lots of people dealing with them often said it was hell. But when you look at the whole picture its mostly great but there's still flaws... 

and in all case... the fan base is split in half where theres an half who get sick of some stuff and rage about it and the other half who see them literally as Gods will see it as a sacrilege to even talk bad about their ultimate God. And they'll brush off the flaws denying them and make excuses for them.

seriously. it's the saaaame thing.

i LOVE and im PASSIONATE about the Devils, Mac products and Star Wars... But i HATE Lou's stubbornness, that i can run flash on my iphone/ipad and Jar Jar Binks. (and yes Solo DID shot first!) and i don't think i should be called out pointing those things out

who's with me ? haha

Edited by SterioDesign

i made that remark before but Lou is exactly like George Lucas and Steve Jobs...

nobody in the world can deny the good they did. But they all dealt and made things their way in a very oldschool and hard ass fashion and lots of people dealing with them often said it was hell. But when you look at the whole picture its mostly great but there's still flaws...

and in all case... the fan base is split in half where theres an half who get sick of some stuff and rage about it and the other half who see them literally as Gods will see it as a sacrilege to even talk bad about their ultimate God. And they'll brush off the flaws denying them and make excuses for them.

seriously. it's the saaaame thing.

i LOVE and PASSIONATE about the Devils, Mac products and Star Wars... But i HATE Lou's stubbornness, that i can run flash on my iphone/ipad and Jar Jar Binks. (and yes Solo DID shot first!) and i don't think i should be called out pointing those things out

who's with me ? haha

But on the same token, apple, Star Wars and the Devils don't exist as they do today without those men. Sometimes you need to accept the good with the bad. (And YES Hans shot first! He was badass!!!)

But on the same token, apple, Star Wars and the Devils don't exist as they do today without those men. Sometimes you need to accept the good with the bad. (And YES Hans shot first! He was badass!!!)

exactly but admit that its QUITE REFRESHING that J.J. Abrams is taking over Star Wars. For Apple and the Devils i think it's gonna be the same, the values will be kept but maybe both succeeders will give more freedom or liberties and that will be refreshing too.

Sterio, no one thinks Lou is perfect.  But I feel like the problem with picking him apart is that he's doing a job where not all of the moves are going to work out, and every season is not going to result in a championship, or being a realistic contender for one.  And keep it mind that much of his career was spent in the uncapped era, where teams were free to outspend everyone else if they so desired.  Lou was able to build successful teams AND do it in a fairly cost-effective manner, and saw his team beat others that were more star-studded and pricey, much to the chagrin of the fans of those teams. 

Like DD56 says, Lou can't afford to be as knee-jerk as fans on a message board want him to be.  That means he can be frustrating to watch, especially when it can feel like the team needs him to do something, and he's not doing it...that can make him appear patient to a fault...but even when I've been flustered with some of his moves, his team always seems to be competitive.  I'm a Met fan, and as a Met fan, I can tell you that is not something you want to take for granted.   

If Elias wants to leave, he'll go.  The reason why not to talk is simple - if Elias blows out his knee and the Devils are on the hook for a 3 year contract, that sucks.  I never hear these carpers talk about Tom Poti, who the Capitals signed early and who was basically a washout for most of his new contract.  Signing players early has its risks too.  Why did the Flyers sign Steve Mason early?  Signing Marc Savard early didn't work out too well for Boston.  And so on and so forth.

max:  I can't tell but I think you're obliquely referring to Zajac?  Yeah.

I think this might go back to Lou's affiliation with the Yankees. Historically Steinbrenner never negotiated in season with players regarding contract extensions. I could be totally wrong but it could be a possible explanation as to why Lou operates like this. 

Lou has said he based a lot of the way he runs the team of off the most successful franchises he knew of, naming the Yankees and Canadiens specifically. I can't remember where I read that. Maybe in Marty's book, but I'm not 100% sure.

I am usually in lock-step with the way Lou runs the team.   History, for the most part have proven him right (Holik, Gomez, etc.).   

But, Elias, like Nieds and Marty are special cases.   Once Patty and Marty are gone, the whole Championship aura will be gone as well.

exactly but admit that its QUITE REFRESHING that J.J. Abrams is taking over Star Wars. For Apple and the Devils i think it's gonna be the same, the values will be kept but maybe both succeeders will give more freedom or liberties and that will be refreshing too.

I am excited to see what Abrams can do with Star Wars. I trust his abilities and I'm a fan of a lot of his work. But if it was some nobody taking over, or someone with a questionable line of movies on his resume, I'd be nervous.

Same with the Devils. When Lou leaves, my excitement will be based on who takes over. There will definitely be something refreshing about having something new. My assumption is the team will instantly be a little more fan-friendly and media-friendly, which will be nice. But I think fans will have to be realistic in their expectations. Grading some new guy on the Lou-curve (championship-or-bust, playoffs 18 of 20 seasons) will not be realistic.

I am excited to see what Abrams can do with Star Wars. I trust his abilities and I'm a fan of a lot of his work. But if it was some nobody taking over, or someone with a questionable line of movies on his resume, I'd be nervous.

Same with the Devils. When Lou leaves, my excitement will be based on who takes over. There will definitely be something refreshing about having something new. My assumption is the team will instantly be a little more fan-friendly and media-friendly, which will be nice. But I think fans will have to be realistic in their expectations. Grading some new guy on the Lou-curve (championship-or-bust, playoffs 18 of 20 seasons) will not be realistic.

I just dont want Lou's son to be the GM if Lou retires.

based on the eye test, I'd sign patty for three years, even if its fourth line duty the last year (if his ego would let it)

he looks plenty fast enough, can still skate like a magician, and is one of the top players on the team.

but it comes down to how much money he wants,

I'd do the same with zubrus, maybe push him to 4 years if the money is right

dont know what to make of clarkson lol

Not knocking you, but we have some fans bitching about how they want the Devils to be younger and faster, and here is a proposal to sign a 37-year-old to three more seasons, and a 35-year-old (Zubrus will be 35 in June) to as many as four years. 

Unless both parties are VERY reasonable in wanting to stay here in both money and term (assuming they want to), moving on need not be the worst thing in the world.  It's not like the Devils have been winning a slew of championships WITH these guys the past several years.  People bitch about status quo, but then don't want to lose the guys who have been part of the status quo. 

If Elias wants to leave, he'll go.  The reason why not to talk is simple - if Elias blows out his knee and the Devils are on the hook for a 3 year contract, that sucks.  I never hear these carpers talk about Tom Poti, who the Capitals signed early and who was basically a washout for most of his new contract.  Signing players early has its risks too.  Why did the Flyers sign Steve Mason early?  Signing Marc Savard early didn't work out too well for Boston.  And so on and so forth.

max:  I can't tell but I think you're obliquely referring to Zajac?  Yeah.

Yep.   He absolutely had to sign Zajac early and did.    And technically he didn't break his rule, Zajac was signed before the puck was dropped, as was Martin.   But, I could see why it would rub another UFA the wrong way.    Of course now he's probably left wondering about Zajac.   LOL.   I don't think it's that big of a deal, almost everyone has had a bad season, but we'll see next year.

Sterio, no one thinks Lou is perfect.  But I feel like the problem with picking him apart is that he's doing a job where not all of the moves are going to work out, and every season is not going to result in a championship, or being a realistic contender for one.  And keep it mind that much of his career was spent in the uncapped era, where teams were free to outspend everyone else if they so desired.  Lou was able to build successful teams AND do it in a fairly cost-effective manner, and saw his team beat others that were more star-studded and pricey, much to the chagrin of the fans of those teams. 

Like DD56 says, Lou can't afford to be as knee-jerk as fans on a message board want him to be.  That means he can be frustrating to watch, especially when it can feel like the team needs him to do something, and he's not doing it...that can make him appear patient to a fault...but even when I've been flustered with some of his moves, his team always seems to be competitive.  I'm a Met fan, and as a Met fan, I can tell you that is not something you want to take for granted.   

it's not really about moves that work out or not. It's about some of his ways or mentality. Signing Rolston was not a bad idea, he didnt turned out well but thats not on Lou. Signing Salvador on the other hand is a major mistake for example.

But stuff like... refusing to talk contract during season. Thats absolutely useless and dumb. It's putting yourself in a corner and throwing leverage out of the window. 

Honestly, though, the guy they really should be breaking this precedent on is Loktionov.    He probably has the most leverage of everyone.   Patty's old and has a little kid, Clarkson is loyal, and Zubrus, meh.    He's played well enough to get the  KHL GM's to notice him and he hits the bill of the guy they like to sign, the youngish player caught in the qualifier game with upside.

Yeah, same here, as far as Lou goes.  Initially I will be excited/curious to see what someone new will bring to the table.  This is going to be a REALLY sh!tty comparison, but there was a time no one could picture Van Halen without David Lee Roth.  But then Sammy Hagar did just fine...he was clearly different than Roth, and not everyone liked Hagar as much as Roth, but the band played on and was still very successful, albeit in a different way.

Of course, if the next GM turns out to be Gary Charone...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Honestly, though, the guy they really should be breaking this precedent on is Loktionov.    He probably has the most leverage of everyone.   Patty's old and has a little kid, Clarkson is loyal, and Zubrus, meh.    He's played well enough to get the  KHL GM's to notice him and he hits the bill of the guy they like to sign, the youngish player caught in the qualifier game with upside.

remember hearing how Zach was loyal too... 

plus Clarkson statement about free agency and the leafs the other kinda made me nervous. Cant remember exactly what it was but it sounded a lot like the typical bla bla bla to change subject and that his agent were dealing with that. Just like Zach was saying.

Up until 2009 MacLean was often regarded as the best forward in Devil's history and look at the kind of treatment he got.

Maclean, brought that on himself.  He didn't like the PK and wanted more PP time.   He was banished to SJ for breaking from the team first mode.  Patty is a loyal solider who has sacrificed gaudy stats for winning as part of a team.   Four trips to the Finals for him.

Maclean, brought that on himself.  He didn't like the PK and wanted more PP time.   He was banished to SJ for breaking from the team first mode.  Patty is a loyal solider who has sacrificed gaudy stats for winning as part of a team.   Four trips to the Finals for him.

I think he was referring to the coaching stint of doom.