Elias about Lou's free agents approach

SterioDesign

Players who go UFA get over paid 99% of the time.  The same will be the case for both Clarkson and Elias.  Not having Elias's two-way game is going to hurt extremely badly should he decide to leave.  Clarkson is the rare mix of toughness and skill that is very valuable.  Both players bring a lot to a team and is why they will both get paid well.  It doesn't matter that Elias has been around since Santa first started giving out presents.  Age will not hurt his pay day.

Players who go UFA get over paid 99% of the time.  The same will be the case for both Clarkson and Elias.  Not having Elias's two-way game is going to hurt extremely badly should he decide to leave.  Clarkson is the rare mix of toughness and skill that is very valuable.  Both players bring a lot to a team and is why they will both get paid well.  It doesn't matter that Elias has been around since Santa first started giving out presents.  Age will not hurt his pay day.

Not sure if the UFA market is going to be the same with the cap reductions.   Teams will struggle to get under the cap, so I can't see they overspending anymore.     I agree 100% , if we lose Elias -  we are done.   You can' t replace your most responible two way player and leading scorer.  He can play two more years and still be in our top 3 scoreres he is that good. 

There is a reason teams want Clarkson: he is that rare breed of toughness and skill, which we also can't afford to lose.  Lou should renegotiate now before he goes to the market. 

In a perfect world, Patty would re-sign at a reasonable rate and end his career having played for only the Devils.

But it's so rare that things work out like that these days.

i really cant see patty playing in a different jersey enless they dog him with some bs offer or something that forces him to go else where.. this guy is a devil, he will end as a devil.

i really cant see patty playing in a different jersey enless they dog him with some bs offer or something that forces him to go else where.. this guy is a devil, he will end as a devil.

I agree.  I don't think Lou will let him walk, especially since he's probably our 2nd best player right now, and still is putting up very respectable numbers.

In a perfect world, Patty would re-sign at a reasonable rate and end his career having played for only the Devils.

But it's so rare that things work out like that these days.

He;s under confident if he walks.  Why ruin all the effort you put in to a career with a team just to snub them in the end.  Sure how many Mr Devils can you have in your history... but still.  you build a house.... I guess it's fine to move out of it for more money or something :noclue:  I'm just one of those people who enjoy being loyal.  I'm not being sarcastic or saying it's the way of integrity.  I really dont feel that way.

If Patty chooses to go somewhere else I'm happy for him -- and it makes that much more space in our rafters.  i wouldn't want him to stay merely for a chance to get his number retired or any of that.  It should be a non-issue.  I guess I like nice tidy packages -- clean stories with no lose ends - no after thoughts like "and then he played his final year with the Rangers who traded him to the Flyers who relegated him to the AHL when no one picked him up on waivers.  

And maybe Patty should have gotten all insane at the start of the season like Stevens and his fair market value hissy fit when he was about Patty's age.   It would be nice if Lou took steps before July 1st.  But to read "it's to late now" which it sort of seems like Patty just said....   if I was Lou I think I'd think -- OK well then good - you can go lower on the priorities because you've already said it's too late.  I dont know... I dont know what to tell the guy. 

He;s under confident if he walks.  Why ruin all the effort you put in to a career with a team just to snub them in the end.  Sure how many Mr Devils can you have in your history... but still.  you build a house.... I guess it's fine to move out of it for more money or something :noclue:  I'm just one of those people who enjoy being loyal.  I'm not being sarcastic or saying it's the way of integrity.  I really dont feel that way.

If Patty chooses to go somewhere else I'm happy for him -- and it makes that much more space in our rafters.  i wouldn't want him to stay merely for a chance to get his number retired or any of that.  It should be a non-issue.  I guess I like nice tidy packages -- clean stories with no lose ends - no after thoughts like "and then he played his final year with the Rangers who traded him to the Flyers who relegated him to the AHL when no one picked him up on waivers.  

And maybe Patty should have gotten all insane at the start of the season like Stevens and his fair market value hissy fit when he was about Patty's age.   It would be nice if Lou took steps before July 1st.  But to read "it's to late now" which it sort of seems like Patty just said....   if I was Lou I think I'd think -- OK well then good - you can go lower on the priorities because you've already said it's too late.  I dont know... I dont know what to tell the guy. 

One should never allow loyalty to interfere with what they want in life. Loyalty is what allows cops to cover up their crimes. I don't want loyalty, I want consistency. If a person is consistent, I know what to expect and there's few questions. I don't want someone to be loyal though, if there's something they don't like here, don't stay because you're loyal, leave because that's better for both. The team should not really have loyalty either. I know I contradict this with my Marty statements and how he should be treated, but he's a once in a lifetime guy that even he wasn't loyal when he took cuts in pay, it was for bettering his chances at glory. Just my opinion.

Edited by ATLL765

#26 is going to the rafters no matter what.....where he plays next season and beyond is a non issue.....

Why isn't John MacLean then?

ATLL - I'm not sure what you thought I was writing.  I used the word loyal once.  I suppose you just pointed out how I'm not really "loyal" more a fan of consistency.  I'd find it consistent of Lou to not negotiate and I'd accept that.  Many people have told me recently that I am bizarrely confident though.  Maybe you can tell me that I am not actually confident rather just complacent though  :uni:

Everyone says only Marty got a contract prior to becoming a free agent - but so has Stevens, White, Madden... :noclue:  so I guess I woudl wonder what they did to get contracts during the season.  :noclue:  I dont know -- I just know it doesn't and wouldn't bother me. I have better things to do that worry about my own monetary value.  I dont think I'd want to name my own years to start off anyhow.  Look at what a position Marty is in.  I dont knwo why he'd want to keep on playing if it was sub-par

I dont know -= who cares?

Edited by Pepperkorn

I'm less concerned about the UFAs then I am the players we have signed, 11Mil committed to Talinder, Vol & Sal???  thats awful, what was LL thinking??  He gone a bit crazy with some of these contracts!! 

At least Bermier, Carter & Gionta have 1 more year on the cheap!!

Hopefully LL buys out Sal & Vol, can trade talinder and DOESNOT resign any of the older players, Elias, Zubrus, Sullivan, Barch, Zid or Poni, Tine for Lou to get this team younger!!

Resign, calrky, Harold & Dag & Play Josephson, Tedenby, Henrique, Loktionov, Boucher, Mattuea & Merrill, Pesonen, etc...

I'm less concerned about the UFAs then I am the players we have signed, 11Mil committed to Talinder, Vol & Sal???  thats awful, what was LL thinking??  He gone a bit crazy with some of these contracts!! 

Hopefully LL buys out Sal & Vol, can trade talinder and DOESNOT resign any of the older players, Elias, Zubrus, Sullivan, Barch, Zid or Poni, Tine for Lou to get this team younger!!

Resign, calrky, Harold & Dag & Play Josephson, Tedenby, Henrique, Loktionov, Boucher, Mattuea & Merrill, Pesonen, etc...

In Lou's defense at the time he had to do something for our defense.  White was a shadow of his former self since the eye injury, Paul Martin skipped town and Mottau was just Mottau.  If Lou didn't do something more fans would be calling for his head.

Subtract Zubrus, Elias, Tallinder and Zid.

And add Josefsen, Tedenby, Boucher, Matteau, Merrill, and Pesonen.

How in the hell does that help anything? Especially considering 3 or 4 of those players aren't NHL ready, and 2 have only been pro for a couple of weeks.

How does it help?? It starts the rebuuilding process, this team is awful right now,  ( 6-20 in the last 26???) it could not be any worse!!!!

Lets the Kids learn on the fly, yeah they will; make mistakes, but they will gain a ton of expeience that will help in years to come, and if Tedenby does not cut it next year then he done... Oh well...

You have a team of all kids, and you never get out of the abyss.  Just ask the Oilers.  They keep trying to build around kids, and they don't get it either.  Youth is only good if you have vets around to help them grow and set an example.  Unless you get lucky enough to draft Crosby and Malkin in back-to-back years, but not every draft year can have someone like 'that' who's attainable.

It's possible to incorporate youth while still having a vet presence.  The 2000 Devils had four rookies in the starting lineup, but they still had a good group of vets around them.  They need to have some more youth in this lineup, but it's not the be-all end-all it's made out to be by you and others.

Edited by NJDevs4978

How does it help?? It starts the rebuuilding process, this team is awful right now,  ( 6-20 in the last 26???) it could not be any worse!!!!

Lets the Kids learn on the fly, yeah they will; make mistakes, but they will gain a ton of expeience that will help in years to come, and if Tedenby does not cut it next year then he done... Oh well...

Just throwing a bunch of kids off a cliff and hoping they figure it out is not management. It's useless. More than likely, you destroy a bunch of careers with no veterans to lead. The Islanders have done this for a decade, and this year, they MIGHT make the playoffs. The Oilers try it and they are near last every season.

lol what a horrendous post.

Just throwing a bunch of kids off a cliff and hoping they figure it out is not management. It's useless. More than likely, you destroy a bunch of careers with no veterans to lead. The Islanders have done this for a decade, and this year, they MIGHT make the playoffs. The Oilers try it and they are near last every season.

im half joking here... but the team we're playing have been "throwing a bunch of kids off a cliff" with a bunch of kids they indeed "figured it out" somehow... i still don't get it really but it indeed happened haha

im half joking here... but the team we're playing have been "throwing a bunch of kids off a cliff" with a bunch of kids they indeed "figured it out" somehow... i still don't get it really but it indeed happened haha

True, but I watched a bunch of those kids win a championship a couple years back in hockey's second best league.  That team is very under rated and very well coached.

Bottom line is when your team fails to make the playoffs after making the SCF TWICE under the same GM, when your players publicly admit they aren't thrilled with the way the GM handles free agents, something is seriously wrong. I just don't understand why the owner of this franchise refuses to do or say anything about it.

Edited by Marv4Life

Bottom line is when your team fails to make the playoffs after making the SCF TWICE under the same GM, when your players publicly admit they aren't thrilled with the way the GM handles free agents, something is seriously wrong. I just don't understand why the owner of this franchise refuses to do or say anything about it.

how many other teams even have the opportunity to miss the playoffs after teh SCF finals? You really want Vanderbeek running the team instead of one of if not the best GMs in the sport?