Elias about Lou's free agents approach

SterioDesign

i expect him back and i expect it to be at 5/25 which will all make our heads spin.

I think the DeBoer factor makes him come back provided the money's close and a dumb team like Toronto or Philly don't give him like $6m. I'd still rather he be on the 3rd line like he was last year, but there are worse contracts 

Never said and will never say Lou is a bad GM and no one can deny all the good things he did but it doesnt mean im gonna close my eyes on the bad things he does like North Korean can't even imagine King Jong II would do something bad or any sect preaching some God and would do anything he says. Devils fans are totally coming out that way sometimes. I trust Lou too but he still does fvcking stupid things like signing multiple goons and giving ridiculous contracts to terrible players that shouldnt even be on the roster. Not saying he's making TONS of mistakes either but most of his mistake are like "why would ANYONE do that" its not simply something that turned out bad.

And of course Lou has a good track record mostly cause we were always competitive and players might as well stay here cause there was only a few better teams in the league. Not the case anymore we're not as attractive as we we're and it's gonna start to show i think. Also just to think that he managed to get all of this done while always waiting last minute only technically suggest that we could have get even better results with better preparation through time, with a better approach. We'll never know but here's a fact. This summer Lou had interest in Parenteau but missed out cause he was waiting for Zach. Thats coming from Parenteau himself i talked with him this summer a few times but we didnt talk about that but i asked his brother few weeks ago and a few teams showed interest but Colorado we're really aggressive and apparently NJ we're on standby so they missed on him. at 4m he would have been AWESOME for us. Now let's time i see him ill ask him more about it but thats just ONE example.

Wow, I thought Parenteau was one of those must-try-to-get players during the offseason. Underrated player who would've complemented our system PERFECTLY. Good to know Lou was at least exploring that option, but unfortunately it didn't work out for us... Hope we can make some moves this offseason..

Edit: Parenteau's finishing the season with about 17 goals/41 points. Not too shabby, good signing by Colorado. We could've really used those kinds of numbers...

If he gets that and Lou lets Elias walk for similar money, then Lou will be dead to me.

I doubt Lou lets Elias walk for similar money. I think Elias and Clarkson's deal will end up being about the same, around the 4 range.

Edited by DJ Eco

Wow, I thought Parenteau was one of those must-try-to-get players during the offseason. Underrated player who would've complemented our system PERFECTLY. Good to know Lou was at least exploring that option, but unfortunately it didn't work out for us... Hope we can make some moves this offseason..

Edit: Parenteau's finishing the season with about 17 goals/41 points. Not too shabby, good signing by Colorado. We could've really used those kinds of numbers...

I doubt Lou lets Elias walk for similar money. I think Elias and Clarkson's deal will end up being about the same, around the 4 range.

IDK, you never know for sure about Lou.  I know my judgement is a little biased since Elias is my all-time favorite Devil, but I would really really really hate to see him walk and Clarkson stay.

IDK, you never know for sure about Lou.  I know my judgement is a little biased since Elias is my all-time favorite Devil, but I would really really really hate to see him walk and Clarkson stay.

All depends on circumstances.  If Lou signs Elias for three years or more, a part of me is going to be thinking "WTF, why?"  But more and more I have a funny feeling it's going to be three years, and $5 mil per...potentially not great value, but I think a bone being thrown to both Elias and the fanbase. 

If someone is willing get stupid for Clarkson, I think that's one you just wash your hands of.  5 years and $25 mil fits that category for sure.  Pass.

All depends on circumstances.  If Lou signs Elias for three years or more, a part of me is going to be thinking "WTF, why?"  But more and more I have a funny feeling it's going to be three years, and $5 mil per...potentially not great value, but I think a bone being thrown to both Elias and the fanbase. 

If someone is willing get stupid for Clarkson, I think that's one you just wash your hands of.  5 years and $25 mil fits that category for sure.  Pass.

5 years for $25 mil for Clarkson is nuts.  If another team offers him that then godspeed.

5 years for $25 mil for Clarkson is nuts.  If another team offers him that then godspeed.

All it takes is one dumb GM. 

3 years is fine for Elias, given that the Devils figure to be a real inexpensive team at that point.  Hard to imagine the goaltending would be considerably more expensive than it is now, the Devils should have at least 3 young defensemen out of the Larsson/Merrill/Gelinas/Urbom/Severson/etc. on the team, and they shouldn't cost more than $5M between them.  Henrique, Josefson, and Loktionov are all still cost controlled.  Matteau could be here.  It's hard to know what the future will bring, but it's hard to imagine it brings an expensive team - if Elias is a third-line winger by that point, so be it.  Unlike with goaltending it's not hard to hide a player who's not what he once was.

3 years is fine for Elias, given that the Devils figure to be a real inexpensive team at that point.  Hard to imagine the goaltending would be considerably more expensive than it is now, the Devils should have at least 3 young defensemen out of the Larsson/Merrill/Gelinas/Urbom/Severson/etc. on the team, and they shouldn't cost more than $5M between them.  Henrique, Josefson, and Loktionov are all still cost controlled.  Matteau could be here.  It's hard to know what the future will bring, but it's hard to imagine it brings an expensive team - if Elias is a third-line winger by that point, so be it.  Unlike with goaltending it's not hard to hide a player who's not what he once was.

That's fair...Elias in Year 3 at $5 mil probably won't be as bad as Brodeur at $4.5 mil in Year 2 has the potential to be.  If the Devils get a decent return on Years 1 and 2 of an Elias deal, then diminished returns on Year 3 won't be too hard to swallow.

I have a question --  if you were in Clarkson's shoes, would you take a 5/25 deal?

Am I the only person that would have to strongly consider that offer - but by no means would accepting it be a foregone conclusion?

In this time of buy outs and relegating perfectly decent yet over-rated/over-paid players to the minor leagues - effectively forcing early retirement... I just dont think I'd go for the payout.  I think I'd want to stay where I could work.  Where I'd know my value was understood and I was not just being used by some slap-happy GM.

I do expect that kind of self-respect from a Devils player.  Is that an unreal expectation?  Would most people here go for the pay day?  I ask that sincerely because I am not part of mainstream society - this I know.

I have a question --  if you were in Clarkson's shoes, would you take a 5/25 deal?

Am I the only person that would have to strongly consider that offer - but by no means would accepting it be a foregone conclusion?

In this time of buy outs and relegating perfectly decent yet over-rated/over-paid players to the minor leagues - effectively forcing early retirement... I just dont think I'd go for the payout.  I think I'd want to stay where I could work.  Where I'd know my value was understood and I was not just being used by some slap-happy GM.

I do expect that kind of self-respect from a Devils player.  Is that an unreal expectation?  Would most people here go for the pay day?  I ask that sincerely because I am not part of mainstream society - this I know.

With the kind of player Clarkson is, I'd have to say that in his shoes I'd have to go for the payout, because he's just as likely to wind up getting a career-ending injury as he is to be bought out. At this point you've got to look at it from a life after hockey kind of perspective. Are you going to be thankful later on for leaving money on the table when you're 36 and out of work and have few skills because you played junior hockey in lieu of going to school? How's your family going to feel at that point when life starts getting tough and you could've had a few more million in the bank?

It's a cold way of looking at it and as a fan I don't like the players to take this view, but if it were to come down to it, I'd imagine the player really does have to take the long-term money if at all possible.

You can't bury contracts in the minors to get them off the cap anymore, so that worry is gone.

I think Clarkson would love to guarantee himself at least $25 million dollars(or some pro rated buyout amount).  A player that wasn't even drafted can't pass up that kind of security.

Elias should be getting a 100 million dollar contract with a butt load of bonuses since he has the same numbers as Parise this season.....only makes sense. :D

Haha, good one!

Elias

46 GP, 14 G, 20 A, 34 Pts, +5

Parise

46 GP, 17 G, 20 A, 37 Pts, +4

• Like 1

not to come back to parise hindsight, but that's one where lou not only "put up a fight" in that he offered him a serious contract, but had the opportunity before the going home with his buddy scenario presented itself. if ownership was a bit more in line, it's conceivable he could've signed Parise to 7/50 going into last season. I'm pretty sure parise would've taken it. hell, he was almost ready to take it during the season but his agents advised him against it. when you're 4 months away, it makes sense to wait - especially when minnesotta let it be known they would not be outbid. but the summer 2011, that wasn't out there. of course, he was coming off his knee injury but that's one where lou had a kick at the can very early and didn't/couldn't take it. when he tried mid-season, it was too late.

edit: and for the "lou doesn't negotiate in-season and he's stuck in his ways" people - just look a zajac. he took care of him because they felt that was a known quantity they wanted locked up.

i'm sure that he knows he can keep elias if he wants. elias isn't going to leave for spite. if someone offers him 3/18 or something and we all want to kill lou because he could've had him at 2/10 but once he hit ufa, the bidding took him away, we'll revisit.

as for clarkson, he says all the right things (clarkson that is). lou knows what he is and has made up his mind that is worth X dollars. he wants clarkson on that deal. but if he starts negotiating in season, and clarkson says no, you're raising what you thought was your best offer.

in my mind, parise and neidermayer were the only guys lou lost that he really wanted to keep. perhaps holik was the same but i'd let HOI answer that. in the end, there was nothing he could've done to keep any of them once they hit UFA. that is NOT the case with elias and clarkson. if he wants them, he'll keep them, UFA or not.

My point wasn't that these were all guys who were gone ipso facto. More like we were never gonna have $20M upfront for Parise, so you're right on with that. Same with Nieds, except Lou tried even harder on that, the best he could. A max contract offer wasn't enough to keep him, so what else was there to do?

With Gio, Gomez and Martin, they all left for money we sure as sh!t weren't gonna give them. And honestly, I wouldn't have wanted any of them on the contracts they got.

I also thought Paranteau would have been a good pick up. He was hidden with the Isles and playing with Tavares, people thought he was only a product of the line, but he actually got plenty of time away from JT and still did well. Would have been great 2nd line RW to bump Clarky down where he belongs.

Edited by ATLL765

The Parenteau thing illustrates why I get confused over the fact all these FA's just have to sign the first day.  Even with our issues this year, you think he'd take the extra three days in hindsight as opposed to going to a lottery Colorado team (we likely would have made the playoffs with him)?  It's like these FA's are afraid teams are going to run out of cap space or dollars if they don't take one of the musical chairs asap.

Football and baseball guys don't sign the first day, they know they have months before the next season begins.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The Parenteau thing illustrates why I get confused over the fact all these FA's just have to sign the first day.  Even with our issues this year, you think he'd take the extra three days in hindsight as opposed to going to a lottery Colorado team (we likely would have made the playoffs with him)?  It's like these FA's are afraid teams are going to run out of cap space or dollars if they don't take one of the musical chairs asap.

Football and baseball guys don't sign the first day, they know they have months before the next season begins.

Yeah, but I think guys are afraid of the Vokoun-scenario from two years ago where he waited until July 11, the market dried up and he went from 6.3 to 1.5 in salary. It's not just a frenzy for the teams.

Yeah, but I think guys are afraid of the Vokoun-scenario from two years ago where he waited until July 11, the market dried up and he went from 6.3 to 1.5 in salary. It's not just a frenzy for the teams.

And in baseball comparatively the money's still there months after w/ the lack of a cap and teams w/ generally more money w/ their TV deals. Look at Kyle Lohse who isn't exactly a star and got 3/$33m basically right before the season started 

i still don't know why everyone is saying Clarkson is not worth that much, i said it often i don't like him at all but the guy will get a good paycheck guarantee. GUARANTEE, every teams want a clarkson type of player. And it's not always about what makes sense of is fair. Its more about where the tug war ends and who win.

of course it would suck to overpay clarkson. But i'd rather give clarkson an extra million than seeing Lou try to patch clarkson's production by the first guy hitting the waivers or an oversea project or by some guy we never heard about. We already have to recover from all the productions we lost from last year, we CAN'T on top of that have to patch losing some from this year too.If we sign a top 6 winger this summer it's still gonna be to patch for Zach. Our current guys stepping up wouldnt be enough either. We need to ADD, not lose and match this season in term of production.

if we have to pay 5m for clarkson, im all for it eventhough i don't like him. We fvcking need Clarkson. I'd be really happy if he sign for less but honestly let say youre Clarkson agent you have lot's of good point. Buddy is our top scorer, scored 30 last season, he can hit, fight, go in front of the net, he's good along the boards which we NEED in NJ, he gets under the other team skin... the knock on him being a bad passer and no hockey IQ doesnt hold much water in a discussion here when his agent will bring out all those other point and compare Clarkson to other similar guy around the league.

Edited by SterioDesign