Goal tending options for next season

Jerzey

Marty has said he was considering retiring last season. He's also said he doesn't want to hang on too long. I think he is well aware that his time is coming to an end. Whether he decides to publicly announce that next season or not is up to him, but unless he is adamant about playing in 2014-15, I'd say he's done after next season.

And what exactly would you give up for Bernier?

I am not so sure the market will be that big for him.   The Kings most likely will be in salary cap cutting mode with roster reductions.  LA would probably be looking more at draft picks for him.   There will be a glut of Goalies on the market.  

I am not so sure the market will be that big for him.   The Kings most likely will be in salary cap cutting mode with roster reductions.  LA would probably be looking more at draft picks for him.   There will be a glut of Goalies on the market.  

He's RFA. I think that means you don't have to give up picks for him.

He's RFA. I think that means you don't have to give up picks for him.

That means we can sign him to an offer sheet if we want.  Kings can match it or let him walk.  I'm surprised that didn't try unloading him at the deadline.  The Kings can get draft picks depending on the size of contract we give him.

Just so tired of seeing tip goals go in on us and not in on goaltenders playing us.

THIS!!! its so easy to cover the ice these days, why in the world wouldnt you want that

and the longer the pads the better, the hieght is also huge in covering the corner with the clavical & shoulder pads when you're butterflied.

if we had a real butterfly goalie we beat boston weds!

THIS!!! its so easy to cover the ice these days, why in the world wouldnt you want that

and the longer the pads the better, the hieght is also huge in covering the corner with the clavical & shoulder pads when you're butterflied.

if we had a real butterfly goalie we beat boston weds!

Nevermind butterfly goalies, shooters will adjust, just not ours, apparently. How about both of our goalies protect their 5 holes with the stick on the ice. Such a simple concept which seems to be eluding both of them lately.

Bernier is worth a shot as long as the price to get him isn't too steep.  I think Smith will be looking for a big $ long term deal in FA this offseason, and who knows about Luongo.  The VAN GM is crazy if he thinks he will get anyone to take on that contract without giving up a bag of pucks in return.  If they buy Luongo out, it might not be a bad stop gap for 2-3 years while the young kids like Wedgewood get a chance to develop.

If he plays at the level he's playing at now next year that will be his last.  He is not going to keep sucking.

Time will tell...

I would be upset if he did and enraged if the Devils let him do it at the expense of the team. The thought of it makes me cringe. He is close to being done.

Maybe another team will allow him to do it?

i just can't see that happening. as has been said, he's already been close to retirement twice. last year's playoff run is what likely brought him back this year. if not for the lockout this year, this would've been a one year deal and likely the end. while he's got pride, i think he would take 40 games next year and acknowledge it's a fairwell tour.

he can see what rivera is getting in MLB and he could get similar - well certainly in MTL. nowhere else, of course but still. i think he'd appreciate that way to go out.

what would make me more upset is if lou keeps hedberg as the backup. that is what cannot happen.

edit: and as for the 700 wins, it's just a round number. he is so far out ahead of everyone one else that it doesn't matter. i don't think there is anyone currently playing in the league that will challenge his longevity totals (wins, losses, shutouts, minutes, games started, etc).

700 wins just sounds so much better than 691....

Bernier is worth a shot as long as the price to get him isn't too steep.  I think Smith will be looking for a big $ long term deal in FA this offseason, and who knows about Luongo.  The VAN GM is crazy if he thinks he will get anyone to take on that contract without giving up a bag of pucks in return.  If they buy Luongo out, it might not be a bad stop gap for 2-3 years while the young kids like Wedgewood get a chance to develop.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bernier become our starter....

I believe LAs asking price at the deadline was along the lines of a first, a prospect and another pick/prospect. Smith asking something upwards of 6 million on a multi-year deal. I wouldn't want him without also getting Tippett and Sean Burke...

pretty sad to see brodeurs time coming to an end here, ive been watching this guy since i was about 5 years old and hes been like a hero to me since, but all good things come to an end i guess, we all know we have atleast one more season of marty although as much as i love him i do not want to see this team struggle with sh!t goal tending. .. i wouldnt mind having miller i dont think :)

I believe LAs asking price at the deadline was along the lines of a first, a prospect and another pick/prospect. Smith asking something upwards of 6 million on a multi-year deal. I wouldn't want him without also getting Tippett and Sean Burke...

If that's what LA wants, then they can keep him.  Smith is going to be too expensive, so I don't think he's an option.  I can see Luongo being an option if he is bought out as part of VAN's amnesty this summer.   Miller would be nice, but BUF likes to rape teams in deals and I doubt we could get him with the prospects/picks we have or would be willing to offer (assuming we keep this years pick and give up next years as part of the Kovy penalty).   All in all, we don't have the greatest options here.

I would like to see Halak here.

So would I brother. Halak as the starter, and one of the kids as the backup. I think at the end of last season Marty wanted one more year, and got the 2 year deal from Lou in case there was no hockey at all this year. I really don't think he ever thought 2 more years after last season. He's getting his year, we've lost 8 in a row for the first time since '91-'92, I don't think he will make his decision to retire until after the season but I personally feel it's 50/50 tops that he comes back next year.

I would be happy with Miller too if he would give us a 3 year extension at more like 3 or 3.5 million per rather than the 6 he's getting now. I wouldn't give him 6 per and i wouldn't take him without an extension either.

Edited by jim777

So would I brother. Halak as the starter, and one of the kids as the backup. I think at the end of last season Marty wanted one more year, and got the 2 year deal from Lou in case there was no hockey at all this year. I really don't think he ever thought 2 more years after last season. He's getting his year, we've lost 8 in a row for the first time since '91-'92, I don't think he will make his decision to retire until after the season but I personally feel it's 50/50 tops that he comes back next year.

I would be happy with Miller too if he would give us a 3 year extension at more like 3 or 3.5 million per rather than the 6 he's getting now. I wouldn't give him 6 per and i wouldn't take him without an extension either.

You are crazy if you think there is any chance Marty doesn't come back next season.....