Defense next year

NewarkDevil5

I know we're not mathematically eliminated yet, but I think it's pretty much a probabilistic certainty that we won't be playing in the postseason.

Let me preface this by saying I don't think that the defense has been one of our bigger problems this year, but at the same time due to the pressures of the sheer quantity of defensemen we've got in our system I find it unlikely that our defense won't involve at least a few changes.

The following are signed for next year:

Andy Greene

Bryce Salvador

Henrik Tallinder

Anton Volchenkov

Mark Fayne

Adam Larsson

The following are UFAs this summer:

Marek Zidlicky

Peter Harrold

The following are young'ins that could be pushing the lineup from the AHL:

Alexander Urbom

Eric Gelinas

Brandon Burlon

Now the question in all of this is what do we see our defense corps looking like next year? I've heard people talk about amnesty buying out Volchenkov, which frees up one spot. I've also heard people saying they want to keep Zidlicky, but I'm not sure I want to do that.

Zidlicky gone.Volch bought out. Salvador isn't going anywhere.Thats my guess.

Greene Urbom/Gelinas/Merril

Tallinder Fayne

Salvador Larsson

Defense is not the issue, goaltending and offense is the key and must be improved in the offseason.

Edited by Zubie#8

i'd like to keep Zids... i know he's not great on D but i really like what he brings for the offence... no other dman is coming close to create as much as he is and we're already lacking scoring

without him who would play on the PP with Kovy or cover if Kovy get injured?

in the PERFECT WORLD...

Green Larsson

Tallinder Merril

Fayne Zid

*Gelinas/Urbom

might be rushing Merrill but im excited ALRIGHT !?! lol and i said in a perfect world :P

Edited by SterioDesign

i'd like to keep Zids... i know he's not great on D but i really like what he brings for the offence... no other dman is coming close to create as much as he is and we're already lacking scoring

I agree. See if we can keep him for cheaper and relegate him to 3rd pairing mins+PP time. I'm not a big fan of having too many rookies on the D at once. Larsson is only on year 2, I'm not so sure I want to see more than 1 rookie up here at a time in our d corps.

I also think Tallinder might still be moved.

Edited by ATLL765

I was going to come here and create a "things you want to see happen before the season ends" thread, but I think it would be less cluttered if I kept them in here. Most of them have to do with defense.

First things first, while we have a chance to get them reps at the NHL level at no cost to us right now - it would be a travesty and very short sighted of Gelinas and Urbom didn't get at least a few games of experience. I'd like to see Zidlicky sit a game or two just to have someone run the PP. I want to see Larsson get another look at it and Gelinas get his first. 

I want to see Urbom in for Sal and Volch at times from here on out, there is no reason not too.

It's a shame we can't call up Merill and get a look at him just yet.

If we somehow win the lottery and draft 1st overall, I would be all for taking Jones. That would give us three defensemen who have the tools to be studs and all with great vision who can see the ice. Unless we get a crazy offer to stay in the top 10 and add additional first round picks to supplement the loss of the Kovy one.

I think it's way too hard to see how the defense shuffles out in regards to trades and buyouts. I'd like to see Sal gone but that is not happening. Volch is slightly more likely bought out but I doubt they eat his money. For trades, you never know, although I would expect one of Tally, Fayne and Greene to be traded although I think they are more of the solution than the problem... especially Greene and Fayne. I'll take back Harry as the seventh defensemen.

Bottom line is we cannot go into the season with the D corps looking the same.

Won't go too far into what I want to see from the forwards, but I would like to see Kovy shut down the whole season.

Trade 2 of the 3 for picks:

Bryce Salvador

Henrik Tallinder

Anton Volchenkov

Re-sign Zid. We have then Greene, Fayne, Zidlicky, Larsson, and 1 of the 3 if we do not do anything about all 3. 

Bring up one of the younger D-men in the AHL (Gelinas, Urbom, Merrill(Though he might need one for season to get used to a higher quality playing style))

Re-sign Harrold to be the 7th D-man. There will be some injuries along the way, so having him, along with the 3 in the AHL still, we should be safe, and have a good offensive side, along with a good defensive presence.

I was going to come here and create a "things you want to see happen before the season ends" thread, but I think it would be less cluttered if I kept them in here. Most of them have to do with defense.

First things first, while we have a chance to get them reps at the NHL level at no cost to us right now - it would be a travesty and very short sighted of Gelinas and Urbom didn't get at least a few games of experience. I'd like to see Zidlicky sit a game or two just to have someone run the PP. I want to see Larsson get another look at it and Gelinas get his first. 

I want to see Urbom in for Sal and Volch at times from here on out, there is no reason not too.

It's a shame we can't call up Merill and get a look at him just yet.

If we somehow win the lottery and draft 1st overall, I would be all for taking Jones. That would give us three defensemen who have the tools to be studs and all with great vision who can see the ice. Unless we get a crazy offer to stay in the top 10 and add additional first round picks to supplement the loss of the Kovy one.

I think it's way too hard to see how the defense shuffles out in regards to trades and buyouts. I'd like to see Sal gone but that is not happening. Volch is slightly more likely bought out but I doubt they eat his money. For trades, you never know, although I would expect one of Tally, Fayne and Greene to be traded although I think they are more of the solution than the problem... especially Greene and Fayne. I'll take back Harry as the seventh defensemen.

Bottom line is we cannot go into the season with the D corps looking the same.

Won't go too far into what I want to see from the forwards, but I would like to see Kovy shut down the whole season.

The Devils are having trouble scoring so why would you draft a defenseman instead of a scoring forward

personally my two favorite d men are zids and volch,

In my perfect world, i would honestly rather see them both stay, and use Sal and Tally in a trade.  Bring up the youngs to fill their spot

I like most of this idea as well, I would like to see zid stay i like how he pushes in the offensive zone, I wouldn't mind seeing sal and volch go though

Merrill is much more likely to see time in the NHL than Brandon Burlon.  I also think he's the frontrunner for an open spot on D if there is one, and it has nothing to do with his performance in the AHL so far - I just think he's that far ahead of the other guys.

I'd like to keep Zidlicky but not for 2 seasons, and I think he'll get a two year offer from somebody.  I do think he brings something none of the other guys bring, but I don't know how much longer he will bring that.

I'd like to keep Tallinder over Salvador but of course that ship has sailed.  If they amnesty buy him out I'll be livid - Tallinder has been very solid in the limited time he's played.  I think he can go somewhere if NJ picks up some of his contract and they'll get something back.

Fayne should be valuable, anyone can afford that contract and he was a top 4 D on a Cup Finalist.  I think the Devils should look into dealing him.

Harrold is the perfect 7th D, not sure I would lock him up for 2 years either

The Devils are having trouble scoring so why would you draft a defenseman instead of a scoring forward

Anyone who has played the sport will tell you good offense is generated from good defense. The way Merill, Larsson, and Jones see the ice makes it a lot easier on the forwards. 

Look at the 2003 team, the Devils had two generational talents on the blue line and a borderline HOFer is Rafi. IIRC, Elias led the team in scoring with 20 something goals and 57 points. You build a team from the blue line out.

Keep Fayne and Larrsson. The rest could disappear for all I care. They're chasing the puck like 10 yr. olds. All on one side--in the corner. No idea where the puck or the opposing forward is. And they're not rookies either. I say good bye.

Getting away with Greene is stupid he's been our best on a more consistent level then anyone else. Fayne seems to be on dog shells with lou I think though I like him.

'if i'm lou' (and other team's abide):

tallinder - traded to buffalo for a 2013 2nd

fayne - traded with additional goods to toronto for reimer(assuming luongo ends up in toronto)/kulemin

zidlicky - resigned for 2/8 - as stated, he has skills that nobody else really does in the system. its more than just his PP ability - he can play "rover" which adds an extra element

harrold - resigned for 2/2 - i know that people are hesitant to give a 6/7 a 2 year deal, but he's now at the point where he's gotta seek out the best contract he can. he is the PERFECT 7.

salvador - would love to dump in any way but it's not going to happen

greene - best defenseman the devils have - should go no where

volchenkov - i know he's the whipping boy and i'm biased but i don't see anyone really wanting his contract and i don't think the devils are buying it out now - too much money. can still be very good on PK and brings a physical element that nobody else possesses on the team

larsson - plenty good despite everyone being pissed he's not neidermayer or lidstrom already. should be ready to take on a bigger role next year w/ greene as #1 pair.

i agree with triumph that merrill should have the inside track for a spot in camp.

now, if the devils have the #1 pick, all bets are off as i think they do take jones and he's given every chance to make the team out of camp. aside from that, i'd be shocked if they don't select a forward. I've seen some recent mocks that have them taking zadorov which i wouldn't be pleased with. this has to be an offensive forward taken with this selection.

but i'd be ok w/ a defense of:

greene-larsson

salvador-zidlicky

volchenkov-merrill

harrold

it will have it's growing pains but i think there are enough solid forwards to continue to keep shot suppression down. of course, the goaltending needs to hold up.

I'm surprised, not that some of you think highly of Merrill, but rather that you see him as being more ready for the NHL than Gelinas and Urbom. Urbom has already seen NHL action and looked not completely retarded, which is good. Both he and Gelinas have put up decent numbers in the AHL, with regards to SOG and whatnot. What is it about Merrill that makes you think he will leapfrog these two on the depth chart by the time next camp comes around?

I often like what I see from Tallinder - but what gives with his brain farts (pardon the expression)?  I've always kind of given him a bye -- but if management is sitting him so much maybe there is something we dont see.  I used to think they play him so much beccause there's something we dont see last season.

Volchenkov - I think he's ... he's just not scary enough. He really serves no useful purpose if he's going to take cheap shots and never get it together for a full 60 minutes.

Greene I like even though it takes him a while to get up to speed - the good outweighs the bad.

Salvador is Lou's call (or whoever's).  If he's captain you can't undermine his authority is the thing of it.  and he is.  I complain as a fan.  but if that's what we're stuck with so be it and just buy in and help him do his job to the best of his ability I guess.   or there's always injured reserve if he's not feeling up to snuff right? Even if he thinks he's fine - I think maybe the team knows best how he feels.  :uni:

Harrold is as ugly as Chara - but he's not impact enough for me.  Whatever.  apathetic - whatever the team wants

Zids - he irritates me just because he's sort of half-assed and inconsistent both ways.  But his flashes of brilliance are fun - they're just too few and far between for my liking.  Well -- it's not my liking anyhow his style.  his offence is - but he's not a forward.  his D hmehh... whatever - apathetic again I guess. I guess it all evens out so whatever  <_<

Merrill leapfrogs because he might be smarter.  if not, he won't.  (Won't is SO not a word... I hate that I love it so much)

Gelinas I like more than Urbom and I'm not sure why.  I think I have a little Olivier Whatshisface grudge because I have pets I like...

Urbom didn't thrill me - I dont know why not. 

Fayne and Larsson.  I like Larsson and I think he's cool. 

Fayne - I do like him.  I like his spirit but dude - just TRY to prove to me you can control yourself, you know?  It's not charming or crazy stupid it's just non-impact stupid for this team.  His temper is too half-assed and non-productive. but I still like him - sometimes I think maybe he's TRYING to have a temper.  It's forced is the thing - nothign is organic with him.  I honestly get the feeling under it all - he's just a nice guy trying to play hockey with no true hook or role.  Kind of like a Paul martin at best.  he knows it so he's trying to get in touch with an inner fire.  but it's not a sincere fire is the thing.  I get temper without passion - I'm not sure if that's because he's over controlling or if he's putting it on.  :noclue:  You tell me buddy - or find your ass shipped out.

'if i'm lou' (and other team's abide):

tallinder - traded to buffalo for a 2013 2nd

fayne - traded with additional goods to toronto for reimer(assuming luongo ends up in toronto)/kulemin

zidlicky - resigned for 2/8 - as stated, he has skills that nobody else really does in the system. its more than just his PP ability - he can play "rover" which adds an extra element

harrold - resigned for 2/2 - i know that people are hesitant to give a 6/7 a 2 year deal, but he's now at the point where he's gotta seek out the best contract he can. he is the PERFECT 7.

salvador - would love to dump in any way but it's not going to happen

greene - best defenseman the devils have - should go no where

volchenkov - i know he's the whipping boy and i'm biased but i don't see anyone really wanting his contract and i don't think the devils are buying it out now - too much money. can still be very good on PK and brings a physical element that nobody else possesses on the team

larsson - plenty good despite everyone being pissed he's not neidermayer or lidstrom already. should be ready to take on a bigger role next year w/ greene as #1 pair.

i agree with triumph that merrill should have the inside track for a spot in camp.

now, if the devils have the #1 pick, all bets are off as i think they do take jones and he's given every chance to make the team out of camp. aside from that, i'd be shocked if they don't select a forward. I've seen some recent mocks that have them taking zadorov which i wouldn't be pleased with. this has to be an offensive forward taken with this selection.

but i'd be ok w/ a defense of:

greene-larsson

salvador-zidlicky

volchenkov-merrill

harrold

it will have it's growing pains but i think there are enough solid forwards to continue to keep shot suppression down. of course, the goaltending needs to hold up.

I don't see how you could possibly get Kulemin and Reimer for Fayne. I don't think there's any way you'd get Reimer alone even if they got Luongo. It wouldn't surprise me if they ketp Reimer w/ Lu even if they're incompetent (as shown by them trying for Kipper when he's beyond shot) since Reimer's clearly superior at this point 

I don't see how you could possibly get Kulemin and Reimer for Fayne. I don't think there's any way you'd get Reimer alone even if they got Luongo. It wouldn't surprise me if they ketp Reimer w/ Lu even if they're incompetent (as shown by them trying for Kipper when he's beyond shot) since Reimer's clearly superior at this point 

it would have to be more than fayne, to be sure. a draft pick or multiples - perhaps another non-impact prospect (meaning not severson/boucher/gelinas). i could also understand if it was just fayne for kulimen. i'd be ok with that too. getting reimer was trying to kill two birds with one stone. there are other goalies out there but he was the one i was targeting the most.

it would have to be more than fayne, to be sure. a draft pick or multiples - perhaps another non-impact prospect (meaning not severson/boucher/gelinas). i could also understand if it was just fayne for kulimen. i'd be ok with that too. getting reimer was trying to kill two birds with one stone. there are other goalies out there but he was the one i was targeting the most.

Don't want Reimer and Kulemin isn't anything more than a very good defensive forward. If we traded Fayne, I'd want to get a guy who has offensive pop like Matt Read. That trade is so perfect, but of course it probably wouldn't happen because Philly is in the division. My plan probably isn't as exciting as some of yours. Amnesty Volchie (should be Sal, but whatever) and trade Fayne for a good pick or player who is ready to make an impact. Re-sign Zids to 1 year, 4 mill.

Greene-Merrill

Tallinder-Larsson

Sal-Zids

Harrold

Edited by SMantzas

Don't want Reimer and Kulemin isn't anything more than a very good defensive forward. If we traded Fayne, I'd want to get a guy who has offensive pop like Matt Read. That trade is so perfect, but of course it probably wouldn't happen because Philly is in the division. My plan probably isn't as exciting as some of yours. Amnesty Volchie (should be Sal, but whatever) and trade Fayne for a good pick or player who is ready to make an impact. Re-sign Zids to 1 year, 4 mill.

Greene-Merrill

Tallinder-Larsson

Sal-Zids

Harrold

i would also be ok with this as i think tallinder is really good. but as has been stated, i think zidlicky gets multiple years and i don't think the devils are going to eat that much money on volchenkov.

i would also be ok with this as i think tallinder is really good. but as has been stated, i think zidlicky gets multiple years and i don't think the devils are going to eat that much money on volchenkov.

Oh I know. The Salvador and Volchenkov situation(s) really suck, but if Lou properly manages his assets, it could end up being ok. My dream D would be:

Greene-Fayne

Tallinder-Larsson

Merrill-Zidlicky 

Harrold

Oh I know. The Salvador and Volchenkov situation(s) really suck, but if Lou properly manages his assets, it could end up being ok. My dream D would be:

Greene-Fayne

Tallinder-Larsson

Merrill-Zidlicky 

Harrold

there is no d you can draw up that doesn't have salvador in it - none. "best case"

greene-larsson

tallinder-merril

savador-jones

harrold

;)