Devils vs Rags 1/26/14 - Yankee Stadium - Official!

ghdi

i think it would be pretty likely for them to come out with the retro jersey... at the very least we will definently see a new patch.. generate revenue anyway they can they'll want people to go order a new jersey with the added patch.

Being a Colorado native, I'd live to see the Devs rock the retro jerseys they had when they were the Rockies. The jersey with the Colorado 'C' in the triangle like they have in the NHL video games are sooooo sick

Won't ever happen, especially against their hated rival, who happen to wear a shade of blue pretty close to what the Rockies and Scouts wore back in the day.  You can go with white of course, but I think the Devils have done just enough in going with the Devils red and green retro jerseys only.  The Scouts' and Rockies' history doesn't mean much (if anything) to a lot of Devil fans...both teams' histories were so brief and forgettable in the grand scheme that there's no real compelling reason to wear either teams' jerseys during a game.  The red-and-greens have the same logo and are instantly recognizable...if the Devils ever broke out the Rockies jerseys, I think you'd have a fair amount of "huh?"s and "why?"s. 

Don't get me wrong, I've always dug the Rockies jerseys as well, and there was a time I thought it'd be cool to see the Devils wear them, but at this point, it would feel like the Devils would be shoehorning them in just for the sake of doing it...there is such a thing as both retro and jersey overkill, and I like that the Devils have kept it simple all of these years.  There's a clear fan connection to the red-and-greens, especially for older fans like me (I'll be 43 in June).  At least the Devils, with the opening of the Rock, have finally acknowledged that the team didn't appear out of thin air:  they put up the large painting of the history of the franchise, complete with buildings and jerseys, and have the jersey display as well.  As far as the Scouts/Rockies go, I think that's all the homage the Devils owe them.   

Won't ever happen, especially against their hated rival, who happen to wear a shade of blue pretty close to what the Rockies and Scouts wore back in the day.  You can go with white of course, but I think the Devils have done just enough in going with the Devils red and green retro jerseys only.  The Scouts' and Rockies' history doesn't mean much (if anything) to a lot of Devil fans...both teams' histories were so brief and forgettable in the grand scheme that there's no real compelling reason to wear either teams' jerseys during a game.  The red-and-greens have the same logo and are instantly recognizable...if the Devils ever broke out the Rockies jerseys, I think you'd have a fair amount of "huh?"s and "why?"s. 

Don't get me wrong, I've always dug the Rockies jerseys as well, and there was a time I thought it'd be cool to see the Devils wear them, but at this point, it would feel like the Devils would be shoehorning them in just for the sake of doing it...there is such a thing as both retro and jersey overkill, and I like that the Devils have kept it simple all of these years.  There's a clear fan connection to the red-and-greens, especially for older fans like me (I'll be 43 in June).  At least the Devils, with the opening of the Rock, have finally acknowledged that the team didn't appear out of thin air:  they put up the large painting of the history of the franchise, complete with buildings and jerseys, and have the jersey display as well.  As far as the Scouts/Rockies go, I think that's all the homage the Devils owe them.   

agreed, not only woyld that never happen but it would be quite weird and would leave just about everyone confused and thinking wtf is going on. Should the jets wear thrasher jerseys?

agreed, not only woyld that never happen but it would be quite weird and would leave just about everyone confused and thinking wtf is going on. Should the jets wear thrasher jerseys?

At least the Thrashers are in everyone's recent memory up there, if the Jets ever chose to honor the history of their franchise with a Thrasher jersey night, for whatever the reason...the Rockies ceased to exist in 1982.  There isn't a great abundance of Devils fans who ever saw the Rockies play, or have any memories of their existence.   

Admittedly, I'm not really sure on this...but does anyone know of any teams that broke out the franchise's previous location's jersey for a retro-night, for whatever the reason?  I'm not sure, but did the Avs ever break out the Nordique jerseys for a game?  For some reason I think they did.   

At least the Thrashers are in everyone's recent memory up there, if the Jets ever chose to honor the history of their franchise with a Thrasher jersey night, for whatever the reason...the Rockies ceased to exist in 1982.  There isn't a great abundance of Devils fans who ever saw the Rockies play, or have any memories of their existence.   

Admittedly, I'm not really sure on this...but does anyone know of any teams that broke out the franchise's previous location's jersey for a retro-night, for whatever the reason?  I'm not sure, but did the Avs ever break out the Nordique jerseys for a game?  For some reason I think they did.   

Well not exact but sorta in the same realm:

1) Vancouver this year wore the Vancouver Millionaires jersey for a game.  They weren't even in the same league and totally different era separated by a good 80 years or more.

2) Ottawa's throwbacks are a throwback to the original Ottawa Senators franchise that existed before the NHL even existed and right into the very beginning of the NHL.  That franchise later moved to St. Louis and became the Eagles before folding.

3) Calgary's "A" on the front of their jerseys for their alternate captains are an homage to the main logo for the Atlanta Flames

From a branding standpoint you'd never really wear the jersey of a previous franchise, especially not for such a big game where you want to really promote your logo and brand.. Vancouver can get away with it because they have a massive fan base and all, but the Devils will want to display their logo on the national stage

It would be cool if we wore Rockies jerseys against the Avalanche, especially since we play them home and away now.. I'm guessing the cost is too high, but I would think it could be a good draw for both fan bases..

I will say, I did see a lot more Rockies jerseys this season than in the past.. I've said it before, but I find it very interesting that Devils fans seem to wear their former franchise's gear a lot more than most other fan bases.. I think that's pretty cool

Edited by Colin226

From a branding standpoint you'd never really wear the jersey of a previous franchise, especially not for such a big game where you want to really promote your logo and brand.. Vancouver can get away with it because they have a massive fan base and all, but the Devils will want to display their logo on the national stage

It would be cool if we wore Rockies jerseys against the Avalanche, especially since we play them home and away now.. I'm guessing the cost is too high, but I would think it could be a good draw for both fan bases..

I will say, I did see a lot more Rockies jerseys this season than in the past.. I've said it before, but I find it very interesting that Devils fans seem to wear their former franchise's gear a lot more than most other fan bases.. I think that's pretty cool

I will also say that a large majority of those jerseys were horrendous looking knockoffs where the logo of the mountain was either short and fat or tall and skinny.

I think the Devils should never wear the Scouts or Rockies jerseys and I don't think they ever will.

I will also say that a large majority of those jerseys were horrendous looking knockoffs where the logo of the mountain was either short and fat or tall and skinny.

I think the Devils should never wear the Scouts or Rockies jerseys and I don't think they ever will.

I agree 100%.  I personally think we are getting the x-mas tree jerseys for this game, but wouldn't mind something completely different and new as a 1 off for the game. 

I agree 100%.  I personally think we are getting the x-mas tree jerseys for this game, but wouldn't mind something completely different and new as a 1 off for the game. 

If we wear the X-mas jerseys then it will be the red ones since we are the "home team."

I have always believed and still believe that Retro Night was a JVB creation and not Lou's.

if they announce that they are wearing retros i would go out and make an investment on one.. either a brodeur,elias,neider or maybe a stevens sounds like a nice addition to the collection! sh!t maybe ill just go get one for the hell of it =D

Yeah, fair amount of Rockies jerseys, and the number seems to be going up, and DM84 is right, there's a lot of really cheap/crappy ones out there...but the originals from the 70s were pretty cheap and crappy at times too...for a few years, the logo, name and numbers were all screen-printed on...and that was the on-the-ice versions worn by the players.  I got my first Rockies jersey back in '03 (a Ramage M&N, which I wound up selling to DM84), and I got my fair share of "What is that?"  You hardly saw them at all back then.  I don't want to make it sound like I'm cutting edge or was ahead of the curve...I saw an occasional fan wearing the original Sandow versions back in the CAA days, in the early 90s. 

Re:  in bold, that's when I've always thought they should wear the Rockies jerseys, if they were ever going to...against the Avs.  Whenever I used to play NHL 2K5, I would have my team wear the Scouts jerseys against the Blackhawks (the Scouts were supposed to be called the MO-hawks (the MO being a Missouri reference), but the Blackhawks objected for obvious reasons, so the KC franchise then went with Scouts), and the Rockies jerseys against the Avs.  I'd have them wear the Red and Greens for the game just before Christmas on the schedule.  Red and blacks for all of the other games. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yeah, fair amount of Rockies jerseys, and the number seems to be going up, and DM84 is right, there's a lot of really cheap/crappy ones out there...but the originals from the 70s were pretty cheap and crappy at times too...for a few years, the logo, name and numbers were all screen-printed on...and that was the on-the-ice versions worn by the players.  I got my first Rockies jersey back in '03 (a Ramage M&N, which I wound up selling to DM84), and I got my fair share of "What is that?"  You hardly saw them at all back then.  I don't want to make it sound like I'm cutting edge or was ahead of the curve...I saw an occasional fan wearing the original Sandow versions back in the CAA days, in the early 90s. 

Re:  in bold, that's when I've always thought they should wear the Rockies jerseys, if they were ever going to...against the Avs.  Whenever I used to play NHL 2K5, I would have my team wear the Scouts jerseys against the Blackhawks (the Scouts were supposed to be called the MO-hawks (the MO being a Missouri reference), but the Blackhawks objected for obvious reasons, so the KC franchise then went with Scouts), and the Rockies jerseys against the Avs.  I'd have them wear the Red and Greens for the game just before Christmas on the schedule.  Red and blacks for all of the other games. 

Haha I still have that jersey too.  The thing about M&N is that their jerseys are usually "ghetto cut" meaning they are long as hell.  Those Rockies jerseys however are for some reason really long, like longer than the other M&N throwbacks.  When I measure that against my same size (52) Devils white throwback M&N jersey (the one that was recalled by M&N), the Rockies one was a couple inches longer.

Most of the Rockies jerseys I see are cheap ass-knockoffs that look completely terrible.  You are right about the old Rockies jerseys being pretty crappy too.  The first year or two they used these mesh-like jerseys made by Champion with the Rockies logo screened on them.  The next few years they used basically the same material but slightly sturdier but made by Rawlings (yes the baseball company).  For the final year they finally had stitched-on logo on their jerseys and those were made by Sandow SK.  The current retail Vintage replicas made by CCM are nice, but the blue ones they sell have the wrong striping.  The white ones are pretty accurate and I have one of those as well as the M&N Ramage jersey I bought from you and 2 blue ones by CCM.

Also I believe there are a few game-worn Rockies jerseys out there from the first gew games the Rockies played.  From what I remember hearing they didn't have the templates set yet when they started so they just used Scouts shells with an early form of the Rockies logo screened on them.  It was basically a mash-up of the Rockies and Scouts jerseys.  I will have to see if I can find a picture of it.

M&Ns jerseys feel heavier and thicker than their CCM counterparts as well...at least, the Rockies/Scouts versions sure did.  And yeah, odd cut lengths too...very long.

The '77-'78 schedule shows a Rockies player wearing one of the "mash-up" jerseys (see the link).  I don't know of any other photos that show the mash-ups being worn in-game (or anywhere else).  The painting at the Rock shows fans wearing white mash-ups outside McNichols Arena, probably because the painter might have been working from that '76-'77 sched photo.  The screen-printed logos were huge back then too...damned near took up the whole front of the jersey. 

Yeah, stripes proportions are off on the CCMs (the widths of each stripe are supposed to be equal), but I actually like them that way a little better.  M&Ns had the stripes correct. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1977-78-Colorado-Rockies-Coors-NHL-Pocket-Hockey-Schedule-/360588196821?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item53f4bb3bd5

M&Ns jerseys feel heavier and thicker than their CCM counterparts as well...at least, the Rockies/Scouts versions sure did.  And yeah, odd cut lengths too...very long.

The '77-'78 schedule shows a Rockies player wearing one of the "mash-up" jerseys (see the link).  I don't know of any other photos that show the mash-ups being worn in-game (or anywhere else).  The painting at the Rock shows fans wearing white mash-ups outside McNichols Arena, probably because the painter might have been working from that '76-'77 sched photo.  The screen-printed logos were huge back then too...damned near took up the whole front of the jersey. 

Yeah, stripes proportions are off on the CCMs (the widths of each stripe are supposed to be equal), but I actually like them that way a little better.  M&Ns had the stripes correct. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1977-78-Colorado-Rockies-Coors-NHL-Pocket-Hockey-Schedule-/360588196821?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item53f4bb3bd5

Ah good photo there and yeah it is tough finding photos of them wearing the "mash-up" jerseys.  I think they only wore them for the pre-season and the first handful of games the first season in Colorado and that's it.

Yeah the replica jerseys are now a pain in the butt as the M&N ones are too long and the blue CCM replicas have the wrong striping.  The only one that has decent sizing and correct striping are the white CCM ones, but they are pricing and are sometimes hard to find (I do eBay had some recently up there).

I think they will either wear the Xmas tree jersies they've been wearing the last few years or will wear the regular red and black. i don't think we see anything new until after Lou retires, which is fine by me. We have one of the best jersies in the NHL IMHO, and it doesn't need any changing :)

I think they will either wear the Xmas tree jersies they've been wearing the last few years or will wear the regular red and black. i don't think we see anything new until after Lou retires, which is fine by me. We have one of the best jersies in the NHL IMHO, and it doesn't need any changing :)

Amen

FYI - This went out to season ticket holders for 2013 - 2014.. In short, it says STH are guaranteed as many seats as they have on their account, and the sale will probably occur some time before September 21st. Priority for that sale is yet to be determined.

Colin,

We are excited to formally announce that your New Jersey Devils ® will be participating in the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series™ versus the New York Rangers ® at Yankee Stadium! This event will take place on Sunday, January 26th, 2014 at 12:30pm.

As a member of our Devils Army Season Ticket Holder family, we want to make sure you are fully informed as information is made available to us. We are pleased to announce that all 2013-14 renewed and new Full Season Ticket Holders will have the opportunity to purchase tickets to this NHL Stadium Series™ game at Yankee Stadium through the Devils organization. We plan to communicate detailed information related to purchasing tickets with all 2013-14 Season Ticket Holders over the summer. At that time, we will share with you the system we will use to prioritize Season Ticket Holder seat selections. Season Ticket Holders will be able to choose from the remaining seating inventory at their time of selection. Please note that tickets are limited and seat locations will be based upon availability*. Therefore, at the present time we can only confirm that 2013-14 FULL Season Ticket Holders will be guaranteed the opportunity to purchase seats.

As was communicated in all renewal information this season: "In the event that the NHL ® selects the Devils to participate in a regular season game to take place at a venue other than Prudential Center, Season Ticket Holders will have the option to: Credit the amount equal to the “Original Ticket” purchase price (one of your 44 season tickets) toward the ticket price of the newly scheduled game played at an alternate venue (in this case Yankee Stadium)."

We do not yet know whether additional seats for the Stadium Series game beyond the number of Season Tickets you own will be made available to you. All 2013-14 Season Ticket Holders at the time of the on-sale, will be given access to purchase as many seats as Season Ticket seats on their 2013-14 account before any additional seats are made available.

Should you have any questions prior to that communication, don’t hesitate to contact your Fan Experience Team at 1-855-DEV-ARMY, or devilsarmy@newjerseydevils.com.

We are extremely excited to share in this historic event with you!

Thank you for your continued support of the New Jersey Devils! Keep an eye out for information once we get into June pertaining to your two free 2013 NHL Draft™ tickets. The Devils currently hold the #9 overall selection!

Sincerely,

Eric Kussin

Vice President, Ticket Sales and Service

*The opportunity for Full Season Ticket Holders to purchase tickets will occur within a prescribed time frame (likely before September 21st) and specific ticket inventory is subject to availability upon the time of purchase.

• 3 weeks later...

booking flights in a few weeks, will definitely be making the trek from Australia for a holiday, and going to this, as well as (hopefully) some Devils home games at the Rock, just need the schedule to be released to confirm.

Can't wait!