GDT New Jersey Devils at Philthy 730PM MSG+

ZeroGravityFat

Always nice going 4-0-1 vs the Flyers.

Should have went 5-0 and could have easily.

I've been saying they would beat the Rags the last two meetings but unfortunately it won't be enough and the Devils deserve no part of the playoffs anyway.

Beat the Rags twice and I will be satisfied at this point.

Kind of odd that, if Brodeur suddenly gets insanely hot over the next five games, he could possibly finish the season with a sub-2.00 GAA.  Not likely to happen, but just the fact that it's even possible at all is kind of miraculous. 

He's 9th in GAA and 32nd in save%, which pretty much says it all.  Most Devils fans (me included) love the guy, but if Lou is fooled by the GAA and thinks Marty should be the clear no-doubts-whatsoever #1 guy again next season, I hope Lou realizes that Marty will need a lot of propping up for that to be successful.  I don't question Lou often, but a strong finish on Marty's part can make his season look a lot better than it really was.  I think the balance of the 2010-2011 season on shows that you simply can't be sure what Marty will bring. 

Great that the Devils won, but now that the playoff ship has sailed, I'm focusing more on the offseason...sure, until mathematically eliminated, there's always hope, but when you're six points back of 8th with no games in hand on the 8th-place team, with two teams ahead of you...and basically needing to win every game...don't need to say much more than that. 

2 G and 2 A for Elias in his last 16 GP.  Not saying those numbers are all his fault, and yes, he's had a very good career as a Devil, but count me among those who don't think Elias should be a lock to come back if the price isn't reasonable.  The Devils already have one guy who's getting to go out on his own terms in Brodeur, and I 100% understand and support why they've given Brodeur that privilege, even if it's coming at a bit of a cost to the on-ice product.  But I don't think the Devils should do the same with Patrik.  I don't think it's an imperative that he finish his career as a Devil...he's done more than enough that two or three years elsewhere won't make any difference in how I remember him.   

and I liked the tie - sort of an undertaker-ee look but I liked it (BEFORE I even saw Stevens was wearing it)  Barr's was really blah - ugly shade of red, weird lines - maybe he needs to wear that all the time. Last week I did see Stevens's red tie in some picture of some game some time this year.  I think DeBoer was wearing what the tie site dubbed desperation last night - I may be wrong.

Kind of odd that, if Brodeur suddenly gets insanely hot over the next five games, he could possibly finish the season with a sub-2.00 GAA.  Not likely to happen, but just the fact that it's even possible at all is kind of miraculous. 

He's 9th in GAA and 32nd in save%, which pretty much says it all.  Most Devils fans (me included) love the guy, but if Lou is fooled by the GAA and thinks Marty should be the clear no-doubts-whatsoever #1 guy again next season, I hope Lou realizes that Marty will need a lot of propping up for that to be successful.  I don't question Lou often, but a strong finish on Marty's part can make his season look a lot better than it really was.  I think the balance of the 2010-2011 season on shows that you simply can't be sure what Marty will bring. 

Great that the Devils won, but now that the playoff ship has sailed, I'm focusing more on the offseason...sure, until mathematically eliminated, there's always hope, but when you're six points back of 8th with no games in hand on the 8th-place team, with two teams ahead of you...and basically needing to win every game...don't need to say much more than that. 

2 G and 2 A for Elias in his last 16 GP.  Not saying those numbers are all his fault, and yes, he's had a very good career as a Devil, but count me among those who don't think Elias should be a lock to come back if the price isn't reasonable.  The Devils already have one guy who's getting to go out on his own terms in Brodeur, and I 100% understand and support why they've given Brodeur that privilege, even if it's coming at a bit of a cost to the on-ice product.  But I don't think the Devils should do the same with Patrik.  I don't think it's an imperative that he finish his career as a Devil...he's done more than enough that two or three years elsewhere won't make any difference in how I remember him.   

Elias has probably had more quality scoring chances than anyone during this bad stretch.  Dodging the issue on whether or not he should be brought back; he isn't just one of the guys that needed to produce with Kovy out, he's the primary guy that needed to.  Maybe it's a little unfair to say, but an additional 2 or 3 clutch goals could have done a lot to at least give the Devils a chance of sneaking in.  

They played well again, deserving of a win. What really bugs me is that this was by no means their best tightest game in the past 3 weeks. It's still frustrating to think about how many of the games during this last stretch should have ended in a win. If level of play decided games, I'd say yesterday's game would've been a 3-2 Devils win, and some of those Ottawa/Toronto games could've easily been 6-1 Devils wins. But that's not how it works, I guess haha...

It's a long shot, but if the Rags lose to Buffalo tomorrow and we can beat Fla on Saturday...that Sunday game vs the Rags would be mighty interesting

and the sabres are hot right now

I have total faith in the Sabres to beat the Rags. Miller is better competition than the goalies the Rags have been facing lately. And Buffalo's hot. Rangers won't know who to cover; Buffalo 1 month ago was a lot more predictable..

We're out of the playoffs for sure. They are just making sure they also get a sh!tty draft pick now.

I don't really care at this point. I think as far as our team's pride is intact, single-handedly having the power to make sure the Flyers and Rangers don't make the playoffs could be a nice mini-victory, or something small to be happy about. I hope we can do that.

I will never ever be upset in anyway after a win over our rivals, even if a good draft pick gets flushed down the toilet.

When you're on a ten-game losing streak you absolutely need to get out of it and not have it suck the life out of you all summer. It's not like there's going to be some major housecleaning over the summer to where most of these guys aren't going to be around anyway.

Besides, all the 'useless' wins two years ago set up last year.  They needed to get out of the vortex of suck then too and get their confidence back.  There are still good players here, this isn't a rebuilding situation yet.

Ask Oiler fans how having all those #1's are working out for them.

Are you sure? We have cbgb, kovy and Zajac as our forwards signed past this year. Kovy and Zajac the only contracts running past NEXT year. You really think the team doesn't look a bit different in a couple years? The Defense won't be that different, but the forward corps might have a few new faces.

Edited by ATLL765

Elias has probably had more quality scoring chances than anyone during this bad stretch.  Dodging the issue on whether or not he should be brought back; he isn't just one of the guys that needed to produce with Kovy out, he's the primary guy that needed to.  Maybe it's a little unfair to say, but an additional 2 or 3 clutch goals could have done a lot to at least give the Devils a chance of sneaking in.  

Elias, has no support.   Our fowards are so mediocre now.   I was hoping Sullivan would rise to the occassion, but he seems invisible since we got him and Zajac just looks lost without Parise.

Are you sure? We have cbgb, kovy and Zajac as our forwards signed past this year. Kovy and Zajac the only contracts running past NEXT year. You really think the team doesn't look a bit different in a couple years? The Defense won't be that different, but the forward corps might have a few new faces.

If guys like Elias/Clarkson/Zubrus walk out the door they ain't getting replaced by better forwards, hence the part of my statement in one of my other posts where I said if they did have changeover (with the few top nine guys we have) that would be problematic in itself.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Elias, has no support.   Our fowards are so mediocre now.   I was hoping Sullivan would rise to the occassion, but he seems invisible since we got him and Zajac just looks lost without Parise.

Zajac needs to be on a line with Zubrus to look somewhat good. He needs to play with players who can control the game along the boards.

I would argue that both the quality and quantity of chances have been there for Patty...he just hasn't been converting on anything.  

Weird. It was blocked for me. Said it was being carried by NBCSports or something.

It had different commentators then normal, so I am guessing that's true, but it was still working for me at least.

EDIT: Could maybe be related to some ip blocking? Are you from the NJ area?

Edited by njdevsftw

I just want to point out that none of the goals we scored was caused by cycling in the offensive zone. We still haven't figured out how to make the basic staple of our offensive system work itself out into a goal.

We made many good passes into the slot yesterday, nobody can finish. Poni had a plethora of chances from the slot.....But this is the Flyers defense we are talking here, of course they would get us out of our funk haha.