It is a retool not a rebuild

Beetlebum

Injuries really screwed us in this shortened season along with some horrible luck, but blowing up the ship is not the answer. Despite what people think the Devils have a plethora of depth at the moment they rolled 4 competent lines today, unfortunately they just cannot score.

Losing Parise really hurt, but his contract 3 years from now is going to be a lot detrimental to the franchises long term health than missing the playoffs this year.

The draft more so than free agency is going to be the Devils best chance to address their issues properly. As much as I like Weiss, Horton, and Stalberg they are not elite level players you want to overpay for.

If you can believe the media and the rumor mongering out of Edmonton the Devils may have a great chance to address one of their main issues, scoring. I realize it is only conjecture at moment, but the possibility of adding the likes of Yakupov or even Eberle should be salivating to us. Not only do they have elite level talent but they are young. 

What I would like to see next year. 

Kovy Zajac Henrique

Zubrus Elias Yakupov

D'Agostini  Lotki   Latendresse

Carter Josefson Bernier

How does one acquire Nail Yakupov you ask? Well it probably starts with our first round draft pick this year and if that facilitates only giving up the likes of Merrill, Volch, and possibly Boucher I do it. I also would not be adverse to keeping Clarkson, I love the guy actually, but the rumors of 5 million a year are just too much to stomach. 

Greene Larsson

Tallinder Zidlicky - on a 1 year or Ian White

Urbom Salvador

As for coaching PDB stays he is a great coach, but Shaw needs to go and be replaced by Guy Boucher. 

Discuss, critique, and bitch

It be a retool for any team if they were able to get a 1st overall pick without giving up anyone from their roster. Why would the Oilers want to stockpile picks and prospects? If they were trading one of their top picks, it be for proven NHL talent...and a lot of it.

Edited by devilsrule33

Well, Yakupov is going to be one of the most dangerous players in the league in a couple years. I don't think there's much the Devils could even string together to get Nail from EDM, even if it involves Larsson.

I agree, though, about there being a lot of work cut out for Lou this offseason. The defense situation really needs to be settled so that we have a consistent group of 6 starting every game. I wouldn't mind Zid coming back for another year. He would be a good mentor for some offensive-minded defensemen that may get a look in the NHL next season for a few games (Merrill, Gelinas).

Obviously the forwards need to be cleaned up a bit. Too many third liners on this team. Sullivan will obviously be gone, and probably one of D'Agostini or Poni.

I'd like to see something like this:

Henrique-Loktionov-Kovalchuk

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson

Zubrus-Josefson-D'Agostini

CBGB

Greene-Larsson

Salvador-Zidlicky

Tallinder-Fayne

In the case that Clarkson walks, Zubrus would take his spot, and Matteau may be ready to fill in that last hole.

And I think we all know that nothing is likely to happen with the goalies.

Edited by nessus

Injuries really screwed us in this shortened season along with some horrible luck, but blowing up the ship is not the answer. Despite what people think the Devils have a plethora of depth at the moment they rolled 4 competent lines today, unfortunately they just cannot score.

Losing Parise really hurt, but his contract 3 years from now is going to be a lot detrimental to the franchises long term health than missing the playoffs this year.

The draft more so than free agency is going to be the Devils best chance to address their issues properly. As much as I like Weiss, Horton, and Stalberg they are not elite level players you want to overpay for.

Agree strongly with everything up to here. 

See this is nonsense:  EVERY team deals with injuries.  Forgive me if I'm forgetting someone, but the Devils lost:

- Zubrus:  3rd line winger

- Marty:  Starting goaltender

- Kovy:  Elite scorer

For extended time periods.  The latter two certainly hurt, but there was absolutely NO depth on this team from the beginning of the season, in either goaltending or scoring.  The oldest backup in the NHL finally started acting his age, and the OBVIOUS lack of raw scoring talent on this team became brutally apparent when Kovy went down.

The Penguins went without Malkin, Letang, and Crosby for extended periods of time this season, yet there they are at the top of the conference.  I'd argue those three players together are better than Kovy, Marty and Zubs.  Shero made moves and did what he had to do to keep his team competitive.  Lou sat on his hands and eventually acquired Steve-freakin-Sullivan.

Don't blame the injuries, blame Lou.  Good, properly built teams find ways to persevere through injuries.  This roster simply wasn't up-to-snuff for this season.  I hope Lou makes some major changes this offseason.

Edited by Devilsfan118

It be a retool for any team if they were able to get a 1st overall pick without giving up anyone from their roster? Why would the Oilers want to sotckpile for picks and prospects. If they were trading one of their top picks, it be for proven NHL talent...and a lot of it.

What gives with the Maritimes accent?  "Aye - Thar be whales here captain"

• Like 1

I agree that it's a retool and not a rebuild. You re-sign Zubes Elias and Clarkson you still got 2 forward spots to address and with the stud player we will most likely getting in the draft/amount of cap/ potential trades/prospects, the holes we filled with plugs this year will be filled with bonafide NHL talent and I mean top 6 talent. Biggest hole to fill will be goaltending IMO. Still this is a good team and a winning franchise. I think Lou just wanted to see how this year would pan out. The stars seem to be aligning for next season and I'm already excited

Well -- when you put it like this -- I think I vote rebuild please.

Haha, well that's what they're dealing with here. I think that's where you start, and look for a trade from there.

In all honesty, I don't think that automatic 1st line winger is going to come to the Devils as easily as some people think. I would like for them to go after someone like Nino Niederreiter - someone who isn't working well with his organization, but has the potential to really turn out to be a great player. The Isles have some decent offensive talent now, so they don't exactly NEED him. I'm sure they could use some help on defense, too. It could be a possibility, especially since Nino's value is going down.

NJ should be able to make a move for an offensive forward this summer. They have plenty of assets including a top 10 pick coming up. This team needs to replace some of the older wingers. Hopefully Matteau can show massive improvement to contribute more.

Matteau may not be around here much longer. He got benched for taking a bad penalty and rode home on the fan bus, instead of the team one. Idiot

I agree that it's a retool as we have a good roster, but just ran into tough injuries and luck. We do need to beef up on the offensive depth tho. But, you can't over analyze a lockout season where there's virtually no practice time. No need to blow up the roster at all.

Matteau may not be around here much longer. He got benched for taking a bad penalty and rode home on the fan bus, instead of the team one. Idiot

what the hell.. what was the penalty? this dumb ass really rode home on the wrong bus or is this a total joke? has got to be a joke.

What scares me about the division next year is the addition of Washington and Columbus on top of the step forward the Islanders took this short season..  You already were dealing with a division with big spenders (NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh) but now you also have to deal with a Columbus organization that's finally grown a brain, Ovie's out of his 2 year hangover in DC.  You can argue perhaps the Flyers are in worse shape than the Devils but they also try to spend themselves out plus own 2 giant "get out of jail free" buyout cards that they'll use on Bryz and maybe Briere to buy themselves cap room.

If I'm Lou and the Devils strike a good spot in the lottery I trade down and try to grab more picks.  Say trade a Top-10 #1 for a 2014 #1 and lower #1 in 2013.

What scares me about the division next year is the addition of Washington and Columbus on top of the step forward the Islanders took this short season..  You already were dealing with a division with big spenders (NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh) but now you also have to deal with a Columbus organization that's finally grown a brain, Ovie's out of his 2 year hangover in DC.  You can argue perhaps the Flyers are in worse shape than the Devils but they also try to spend themselves out plus own 2 giant "get out of jail free" buyout cards that they'll use on Bryz and maybe Briere to buy themselves cap room.

If I'm Lou and the Devils strike a good spot in the lottery I trade down and try to grab more picks.  Say trade a Top-10 #1 for a 2014 #1 and lower #1 in 2013.

love that idea, problem is is there a prospect on the list that anyone above us HAS TO HAVE that badly that they'd part with 2 1sts?

Even trying to add a current player on both the NJ/Albany roster I doubt we could get it done...