It is a retool not a rebuild

Beetlebum

You can tell lundqvist is a new york kind of player... Hes into fashion, he seem to like the prestige, has a band, chills with justin bieber... The rangers are really young, he has a great group of youn D in front of him. And the rest of the team is pretty young too.

And again... How can we possibly say that its not a good place to resign because he didnt win when until last year weve been years and years not getting out of the first round? Were we saying that our ufa should sign elsewhere back then? Of course not. We were calling ourselves contenders every year. Im sure rangers fans think the same way.

You can tell lundqvist is a new york kind of player... Hes into fashion, he seem to like the prestige, has a band, chills with justin bieber... The rangers are really young, he has a great group of youn D in front of him. And the rest of the team is pretty young too.

And again... How can we possibly say that its not a good place to resign because he didnt win when until last year weve been years and years not getting out of the first round? Were we saying that our ufa should sign elsewhere back then? Of course not. We were calling ourselves contenders every year. Im sure rangers fans think the same way.

The big difference is that a Martin Brodeur type of elite goalie wasn't 31 years old on the Devils in 1994. Henrik is going to be 32 next contract year. A disappointing finish in this year's playoffs, with one of the most stacked Rangers lineups in years, is enough for me to think that he may at LEAST field some offers on July 1st, 2014. But at the end of the day, it really depends on how they do this year and next.

Anyone who thinks there is even a remote chance of Lunqvist leaving New York is just foolish and doesn't really understand the UFA system..Playing in New York or Toronto is considered a players personal Stanley Cup victory.

Players do not ever choose to leave these places, management chooses that for them.   

Lunqvist is the face of THE biggest US market franchise, he isn't considering going anywhere else.

Anyone who thinks there is even a remote chance of Lunqvist leaving New York is just foolish and doesn't really understand the UFA system..Playing in New York or Toronto is considered a players personal Stanley Cup victory.

Players do not ever choose to leave these places, management chooses that for them.   

Lunqvist is the face of THE biggest US market franchise, he isn't considering going anywhere else.

I think the opposite. I think it's foolish to assume he's just going to stay in New York, just to stay in New York. Professional sports is a business. UFA and the doings of an agent is ALL business. Things like loyalty and tradition go out the window when an agent is debating an $8m a year contract vs. a $6.5m one with his client.

Assuming that players will just want to stay in a New York or a Toronto market, and giving reasons like he's into fashion and the lifestyle, is totally misunderstanding the power of free agency.

It's not a lock that he'll be leaving, but you'd be very naive if you don't think his agent will push him past the July 1st mark to really get what he can out of an undisciplined moneybag like Glen Sather, or go elsewhere.

And just to add, Pittsburgh is the biggest US market for hockey. When you take into account the bandwagon fanbase they have, the media support, and the jerseys they sell all across the United States, the New York Rangers pale in comparison. Hockey's still not that big here, and you can tell by the lack of any sort of coverage in the New York papers about the NHL Playoffs.

Edited by DJ Eco

No, it seems you underestimate and don't understand the high profile draw and global cache of the New York Market, 

Lunquvist will lose more in endorsements, and exposure by just taking a measly $1.5 million raise elsewhere.   Granted hockey has to fight for its share of voice, but there are more media outlets in NYC than the rest of the world (I am including non-hockey media that Lunquvist is involved with like Conde Nast publications).   There is no way Lunquvist ever leaves New York, unless Sather trades him. 

No, it seems you underestimate and don't understand the high profile draw and global cache of the New York Market,

Lunquvist will lose more in endorsements, and exposure by just taking a measly $1.5 million raise elsewhere. Granted hockey has to fight for its share of voice, but there are more media outlets in NYC than the rest of the world (I am including non-hockey media that Lunquvist is involved with like Conde Nast publications). There is no way Lunquvist ever leaves New York, unless Sather trades him.

The Rangers will likely offer him more money than any other team if they want to keep him around, which I can't imagine they won't, even with a first round exit. Without him, the Rangers are probably not a playoff team. The cap will rise enough after next year that cap space won't be an issue.

No, it seems you underestimate and don't understand the high profile draw and global cache of the New York Market, 

Lunquvist will lose more in endorsements, and exposure by just taking a measly $1.5 million raise elsewhere.   Granted hockey has to fight for its share of voice, but there are more media outlets in NYC than the rest of the world (I am including non-hockey media that Lunquvist is involved with like Conde Nast publications).   There is no way Lunquvist ever leaves New York, unless Sather trades him. 

I don't really see what kind of endorsements we're talking about here, though. I just don't see hockey anywhere near the spotlight in New York, hasn't been for a long time. Aside from that, it's not like we see him on commercials or billboards or anything other than GQ's sports issue.

This theoretical draw of New York as the "big stage" and "city of bright lights" at the "world's most famous arena" is all rendered bullsh!t when a Cup contender team offers Lundqvist's agent a competitive contract offer on July 1 2014. Simple as that, THAT's the nature of free agency.

I don't really see what kind of endorsements we're talking about here, though. I just don't see hockey anywhere near the spotlight in New York, hasn't been for a long time. Aside from that, it's not like we see him on commercials or billboards or anything other than GQ's sports issue.

This theoretical draw of New York as the "big stage" and "city of bright lights" at the "world's most famous arena" is all rendered bullsh!t when a Cup contender team offers Lundqvist's agent a competitive contract offer on July 1 2014. Simple as that, THAT's the nature of free agency.

He will not get to that point.  He is unlikely to go to free agency.  Do I need to list off more names?  Sure.  J. Staal, E. Staal, Alex Semin (the 2nd time), Ryan Getzlaf, Zdeno Chara, Corey Perry, Travis Zajac.  I can keep going with players who decided that they liked where they were, they liked the offer they got, and they decided to stay put, well in advance of free agency.  

And you are assuming that a Cup contender will have at least 7.5M in cap space to offer Lundqvist, something which is not at all clear.  You are also assuming that the Rangers won't be a Cup contender next year, and I'm not sure I agree with that either.

Edited by Triumph

That is because you are not looking at the bigger picture.  Hockey might not be in the spotlight in New York, but Lunquvist is.   You don't need to see him on commercials for endorsements, he has his own clothesline and plenty of influenital business partners all because of NYC.   The fact that he plays in NYC gives him global clout, which translates to global endorsement, mostly European.   He will not sign for the money elsewhere, because he will lose too much in the long run.

After watching the Isles last night, it re-enforced mu belief that you can win with young fast hungry players...

Devs need to rebuild with youth.

It really needs to be the right balance though. The Islanders have been young and hungry for years, but not ready for the big show. They've all finally matured toward this moment over the past 4-5 years (and the team has done horribly during that entire time).

You can't just trade or sign a bunch of very skilled 24-26 year old players; they're not that easy to come by and/or are expensive to get. I'm not sure this Devils team, Kovalchuk, or the New Jersey fanbase can handle the stress of a 5-6 rebuild like that to get there.

Edited by DJ Eco

It really needs to be the right balance though. The Islanders have been young and hungry for years, but not ready for the big show. They've all finally matured toward this moment over the past 4-5 years (and the team has done horribly during that entire time).

You can't just trade or sign a bunch of very skilled 24-26 year old players; they're not that easy to come by and/or are expensive to get. I'm not sure this Devils team, Kovalchuk, or the New Jersey fanbase can handle the stress of a 5-6 rebuild like that to get there.

I agree 100%.   It is about the right mix and quality depth.     Edmonton is a prime example of group of young talent without the guidence or experience to lead them in the right direction.

You don't hope for it, but a bad situation with a silver lining could be ending up in a situation similar to the one Tampa finds itself in every few years.  They have a good core with Stamkos, St. Louis, Hedman, and up until recently LeCavalier.  With that sometimes they make the playoffs, and even may win a round or two, and other years they'll be awful, but they're never perenially awful.  In the meantime they end up with great draft picks in the intermittent lean years.

Devils have a good baseline of good players you expect to be around for a while:  Kovalchuk, Zajac, Henrique, Larsson (despite my dumping on him recently), Loktionov.  It'll be even better if two or three of Merrill, Gelinas, Matteau, Urbom, Boucher, Josefson, first round pick this year gets close to meeting their potential or getting lucky in that they exceed expectations.   What really hurts though is the lack of a first round pick next year.

As it stands now, it seems like the type of team that will be pretty good in some years and awful in others with apparently no ryhme or reason to it.  It'll be depressing in the short term to have seasons of bad attendance, but hopefully things end up well in the long run, long run being three years.

You don't hope for it, but a bad situation with a silver lining could be ending up in a situation similar to the one Tampa finds itself in every few years.  They have a good core with Stamkos, St. Louis, Hedman, and up until recently LeCavalier.  With that sometimes they make the playoffs, and even may win a round or two, and other years they'll be awful, but they're never perenially awful.  In the meantime they end up with great draft picks in the intermittent lean years.

Devils have a good baseline of good players you expect to be around for a while:  Kovalchuk, Zajac, Henrique, Larsson (despite my dumping on him recently), Loktionov.  It'll be even better if two or three of Merrill, Gelinas, Matteau, Urbom, Boucher, Josefson, first round pick this year gets close to meeting their potential or getting lucky in that they exceed expectations.   What really hurts though is the lack of a first round pick next year.

As it stands now, it seems like the type of team that will be pretty good in some years and awful in others with apparently no ryhme or reason to it.  It'll be depressing in the short term to have seasons of bad attendance, but hopefully things end up well in the long run, long run being three years.

Good post, Daniel. I too could see the Devils making the playoffs here and there over the next few years, but I think we have a system that works and gives us an advantage over teams like TB and Carolina (who I view similarly to TB). The loss/decline of Elias this year or in the near future will be a huge blow, but I guess you can always explore the avenue of trades and the UFA market if it comes down to that.  

I also think you should move Josefson up to the first group of players. While, he's never going to win an Art Ross, he'll be an extremely good 3rd line center for years. Maybe not a core piece, but a valuable player to have

Good post, Daniel. I too could see the Devils making the playoffs here and there over the next few years, but I think we have a system that works and gives us an advantage over teams like TB and Carolina (who I view similarly to TB). The loss/decline of Elias this year or in the near future will be a huge blow, but I guess you can always explore the avenue of trades and the UFA market if it comes down to that.  

I also think you should move Josefson up to the first group of players. While, he's never going to win an Art Ross, he'll be an extremely good 3rd line center for years. Maybe not a core piece, but a valuable player to have

Right now, Josefson isn't that much better than anyone you can pull off the scrap heap, like Ryan Carter.  I still think the potential is there, but you still have to view him as a prospect at this point. 

I think you could actually also add Bernier to the list of B level core players.  He does have 15 goal, 30 to 35 point potential.  That's not bad for a third/fourth liner.

Right now, Josefson isn't that much better than anyone you can pull off the scrap heap, like Ryan Carter.  I still think the potential is there, but you still have to view him as a prospect at this point. 

I think you could actually also add Bernier to the list of B level core players.  He does have 15 goal, 30 to 35 point potential.  That's not bad for a third/fourth liner.

Josefson has had real tough luck injury wise and when healthy, has been jerked around by Deboer.  Stephen Gionta is playing over him for Christ's sake. Give him consistent minutes and linemates that aren't Barch/Janssen/Boulton and I think you see a 30-40 pt two way player. 

As you can tell, I'm really high on him

After watching the Isles last night, it re-enforced mu belief that you can win with young fast hungry players...

Devs need to rebuild with youth.

You realize that team has a bunch of high first round picks on it, right?

Bailey 9th overall (2008)

Tavares 1st overall (09)

Grabner 14th overall (06)

Okposo  7th overall (06)

Hickey 4th overall (07) (LA drafted)

Plus waiting in the wings they have Dehaan 12th overall (09) and Strome 5th overall (11).

The Devils do not have players of that pedigree. Throwing Tedenby, Josefesen, Matteau, Severson, Merril, Henrique, Larsson, Gelinas, Urbom, and Boucher onto the ice would just be a disaster. It might look great in 4 - 5 years, but now would be suicide.

And finally, the Devils average age is 29.375, which is second oldest. The Islanders are 28.455, which is THIRD oldest.

http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_AverageAge.php

Of the 10 youngest teams, 6 missed the playoffs.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

You realize that team has a bunch of high first round picks on it, right?

Bailey 9th overall (2008)

Tavares 1st overall (09)

Grabner 14th overall (06)

Okposo  7th overall (06)

Hickey 4th overall (07) (LA drafted)

Plus waiting in the wings they have Dehaan 12th overall (09) and Strome 5th overall (11).

The Devils do not have players of that pedigree. Throwing Tedenby, Josefesen, Matteau, Severson, Merril, Henrique, Larsson, Gelinas, Urbom, and Boucher onto the ice would just be a disaster. It might look great in 4 - 5 years, but now would be suicide.

And finally, the Devils average age is 29.375, which is second oldest. The Islanders are 28.455, which is THIRD oldest.

http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_AverageAge.php

Of the 10 youngest teams, 6 missed the playoffs.

But that doesn't re-enforce the thought that Lou is screwing everything up! Keep your stupid facts to yourself. We want a young team, DAMMIT!!

The Lightning have made the playoffs once in the last 6 years.  

Or three times in 8 season with a conference finals appearance. Roughly 50-50, and a team you can see competing in most years.

They've won 2 rounds in 8 years.  They've missed the playoffs by a very wide margin in as many years as they have made the playoffs.

Over the last 8 seasons, these are the teams who have NOT made a Conference Final:  Nashville, Florida, Colorado, Columbus, Atlanta/Winnipeg, Calgary, St. Louis, Toronto, Long Island, Washington (with these last four to be determined - odds are one of them makes it).  It's not exactly a select group.  

Or three times in 8 season with a conference finals appearance. Roughly 50-50, and a team you can see competing in most years.

They've won 2 rounds in 8 years. They've missed the playoffs by a very wide margin in as many years as they have made the playoffs.

Over the last 8 seasons, these are the teams who have NOT made a Conference Final: Nashville, Florida, Colorado, Columbus, Atlanta/Winnipeg, Calgary, St. Louis, Toronto, Long Island, Washington (with these last four to be determined - odds are one of them makes it). It's not exactly a select group.

You can place the goal posts wherever you want, but they're not a perennially bad team, like the Isles were, or what you would expect Calgary to be for the foreseeable future.

And at the start of every season, you can generally pencil them in as a potential competitor. They're an on again off again kind of team, with worst to first and vice versa potential. If you want to compare it to the Flyers, it's probably all the same. That's what I expect the Devils to be for the next five years.

It's just a feeling and it's just for fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD