Matteau Matt..no

BigZ

If you look at the top 30 scorers in the NHL right now, only 9 of the 30 spent time in the AHL (not counting lockout years), and of those, 3 of them (Getzlaf, Ladd, Giroux) spent less than a half season.  The AHL is a development league for 3rd and 4th line forwards, really; most of the best players should be bypassing that league altogether.  We see this with New Jersey's player development as well - Gomez, Martin, Zajac, and Larsson bypassed the AHL.  Brian Gionta spent a half-season there.  Parise spent a full season there, but we don't know what would have happened had there not been a full-season lockout.  I think it's entirely possible that Merrill is in the NHL next year and will never return to the AHL.  

Other pro leagues and junior hockey have caught up to the NHL, and we see teams are much more ready to stick young guys into the NHL than they were 10 or 15 years ago - it's a younger league in general.

• 2 weeks later...

sure stef should have not gotten into a shouting match with his coach but its clear that the junior team was almost looking for a reason to make an example of him for the benefit of the rest of the team that no matter who you are, you fall into line or there are consequences.

from a devils' perspective, its pretty much a non-story. he'll either make the team next year or go to albany and be a taxi call up. i think zubrus' status plays a big part in where he begins next season.

We have worse infractions in our farm system, this was just an emotional outburst after losing a game. I am sure the other alluded incidents were minor too.

I hope Stefans father told him that that wouldn't fly in the AHL/NHL.

• 4 weeks later...