Let's Give Elias His Due Tonight

devilsrule33

There haven’t been many times in franchise history where going into a game, you knew this could be a Devils player’s final home game, and there wasn’t something bigger at stake like trying to keep the season alive. Well tonight, there isn’t much to play for and it very well could be Patrik Elias’ last home game as a Devil. Hopefully it won’t be (and I don’t think it will be), but if it gets to July 1st, there might be some offers that blow him and the Devils away.

Patty has always been an underrated quiet star around the league and even on this team. But in the end, he owns pretty much every offensive record on this team, he’s led the team in scoring 7 times and been part of 2 Stanley Cup winning teams and 2 other Cup finalists. He continues to chug along quietly…playing great two way hockey. When the Devils brought Kovalchuk in, it was Elias leading the team in scoring during that first full-year. When Kovy was getting all the accolades with the team and around the league last season, it was Elias there right behind him and 10th in league scoring. Elias is a guy who has taken a back seat to players here be it Kovy or Parise, but he’s always right there.

There haven’t been many individual nights for him either. When he broke John MacLean’s franchise points’ record, it was unfortunately overshadowed on the same night by Martin Brodeur becoming the winningest goalie in NHL history. When he broke the franchise goal record, it happened on the road and most of his teammates had no clue about it at all. He’s often been disrespected by his own coaches nonetheless. He never had the best relationship with Pat Burns for some reason and the Brent Sutter situation was a black eye for the franchise in my opinion. Sutter, having never coached in the NHL, stripped the captaincy away from a veteran and gave it to a player that wasn’t even with the team throughout training camp and the beginning of the season.  It seems like he is finally back with a coach that truly respects Elias for the leader he is and the incredible hockey player he is.

Tonight, hopefully, Devils fans can vocally do the same. If you are going to the game or know someone who is, or know of anyone to spread the word to, let’s give Elias the proper due he deserves and remind him how much he means to the franchise and the fans. Let’s get some chants going throughout the night to honour the greatest Devils forward of all-time. Maybe we can get something going to other forums or through social media.  He’s a quiet unassuming guy, but I am sure it would mean the world to him as well. He certainly deserves it, regardless if it his last game or not. 

Edited by devilsrule33
  • Like 6

I will be wearing the Elias jersey I got after the 2000 cup win tonight. When I got it, I had an A stitched on it before he was even given one. He has been my favorite Devil ever and I pray that this isn't the last time I wear that jersey to the Rock. He'll get the cheers from me for sure.

I agree completely with this, I will be cheering from my seat at home.  He has been a mainstay of our forward corps for over ten years, he's been a leader, and really describes what people mean when they say "protypical devils forward", meaning he has a ridiculous skill set and solid two way player.  Even if he decides to leave (which would kill me), I would still respect him and believe that he has been the best and most consistent forward for the Devils for over ten years, almost 15.  I can understand if he doesn't get the deal he wants, he could bail, but I firmly believe in my heart that he'll remain a Devil for the rest of his career and will have his name in the rafters.  He means as much to this organization as Marty Brodeur does.

• Like 1

Words cannot express how much gratitude I have for Elias to have so far played his entire career in a Devils sweater.  I really hope this is not his last home game as a Devil.  I have a good feeling his number will be raised to the rafters regardless and you can bet I will be there when that happens.

• Like 1

Great post DR33. 

Regardless of what happens with Elias next season, (short of some kind of falling out, which I seriously doubt will occur), no one's wearing #26 for the Devils ever again, and that's how it should be...I don't think there is any doubt about this.  #4, #3, #27, #30 and #26 all belong up in the rafters...five very special players deserving of that honor.     

• Like 1

It really almost makes me sick that this is potentially his last home game. I don't think he will leave, but that is only based on the assumption that Lou gives him a competitive offer before FA hits. However if the nightmare scenario unfolds where Patty's agent coaxes him to wait until July 1 to sign, we may see very compelling (multi year)offers from teams that are more stable and close enough in proximity. (I'm looking at pretty much any other Atlantic Div. team including the new ones coming in) 

That being said, you're absolutely right. He needs to be cheered loudly tonight. If not as a message to the team from the fans that we need him, then as a thank you for his service to the Horns and Tail. 

It really almost makes me sick that this is potentially his last home game. I don't think he will leave, but that is only based on the assumption that Lou gives him a competitive offer before FA hits. However if the nightmare scenario unfolds where Patty's agent coaxes him to wait until July 1 to sign, we may see very compelling (multi year)offers from teams that are more stable and close enough in proximity. (I'm looking at pretty much any other Atlantic Div. team including the new ones coming in) 

That being said, you're absolutely right. He needs to be cheered loudly tonight. If not as a message to the team from the fans that we need him, then as a thank you for his service to the Horns and Tail. 

Don't let it make you sick.  For one, you rarely see a player spend as many games in one uniform as Elias did.  And second, you got to see him at his best.  You've got several years of terrific Elias memories to cherish...a few years of what will likely be a lesser version of Elias playing for another team shouldn't tarnish any of that.  He'll always be remembered as a Devil first and foremost.   

By the time the season is over, Elias will have played 1090 regular season and 162 playoff games, and will have amassed at least 1053 points in those games combined.  I can't get upset with Elias if he wants more than the Devils are willing to give, and I can't get annoyed with Lou if he's trying to be fair but careful and mindful of the future at the same time.  On this one, if it doesn't work out, unless one side clearly was not being fair to the other, there won't be any hard feelings on my side if they can't work it out.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Wish I could be there tonight and agree with the OP on this.  Patty has been the most understated and, at time, disrespected, star this franchise will likely ever see.  Hopefully he will finish his career in NJ, but let's make sure he knows how much the fans have appreciated everything he's given us over the years.

My girlfriend has been getting more and more into hockey as we've been dating (for 8+ yrs now). She has always admired how cool and calm Elias is and how he's always got a humble personality. Spot on, the guy does and did so much for this team that it goes unnoticed to the rest of the league.

He'll likely get at least  a 2 year deal from the Devs.  I hope that it's not for 3.   

This 2 years will get him to 1000 career points & also allow him to play in the season after Brodeur retires, to pass the torch to the next generation

Edited by BlueSkirt

Most underrated player in the NHL in last 15 years.  All indications are that he really wants to stay and finish his career here, so there's no reason for Lou to drop the ball on this one.  Besides, with his vision and hockey IQ, he will age gracefully.  It's not like he's been a burner since the groin surgery a few years back anyway.  

• Like 1

Most underrated player in the NHL in last 15 years.  All indications are that he really wants to stay and finish his career here, so there's no reason for Lou to drop the ball on this one.  Besides, with his vision and hockey IQ, he will age gracefully.  It's not like he's been a burner since the groin surgery a few years back anyway.  

He's incredibly smart and it's so obvious. He's gotten better with age. I'm just not sure what happened to his shot. It's not gone, but he either lost some speed on it or he's not confident in it for other reasons, but he seems to always look to pass and while he usually gets that pass through, the guy it's going to doesn't always think it was gonna make it, so I swear you see guys make bad plays due to Elias making too good of one. He's easily the highest "hockey IQ" on the team.

Edited by ATLL765

He's incredibly smart and it's so obvious. He's gotten better with age. I'm just not sure what happened to his shot. It's not gone, but he either lost some speed on it or he's not confident in it for other reasons, but he seems to always look to pass and while he usually gets that pass through, the guy it's going to doesn't always think it was gonna make it, so I swear you see guys make bad plays due to Elias making too good of one. He's easily the highest "hockey IQ" on the team.

Yeah, his shot is not the same one that beat Giguere in the 2003 finals where Giggy didn't even flinch it went by so fast.   Loved that play.    

I agree 100% with all that is written above.    Elias is such an underrated and underappreciated talent.   I don't want to believe this could be his last game as a Devil.   I will be wearing my Elias jersey tonight at home.   I wish I could be there in person.

But I hope Lou does the right thing for the franchise and gives him a 2-year deal.   We NEED him more than ever now with the depleted talent base we have right now.

I have nothing but love for #26.  Whenever I think about the #26 I remember back when he was wearing #22 and he actually asked to switch to #26.  I don't remember too many other Devils players switching from the team issue.  But Patrik did that.  Great Devil, he pesonifies what it meant to be a Devil during the 2000's.  Great two-way hockey and not the trap tag that everyone put on the team.  I'm going to miss Patrik Elias more than any other forward whose ever donned the jersey.  To me, it's he, Marty and Dano who represent Devils' hockey.  I hope he comes back.  He has a lot of hockey left in that body.