Possible Draft Trade Up Scenario

Daniel

(Merge this with another thread if appopriate).

I was thinking of the possibility of the Devils moving up to Carolina's 4 or 5 spot.  Carolina has made it clear that they want to bolster their defense, and they're facing a bit of a cap crunch with $7.6 million needed to fill 5 roster spots (not taking into account amnesties of course).  They've also invested a lot in forwards recently with Skinner, Semin and Staal.  There's a good chance that one of the good defenseman will be available at 11 through 9, Zadorov or Nurse, plus the Devils have cheap defensemen to offer, Gelinas, Urbom, Fayne (albeit he's a UFA after next season). 

Problem I guess is that Carolina probably perceives themselves as a team that can win now, so they may not have use for unproven defenseman like Urbom and Gelinas, both of whom have limited upside.

Lou was able to hoodwink Edmonton to move up and get Parise.  Maybe he can kibosh again.

(Merge this with another thread if appopriate).

I was thinking of the possibility of the Devils moving up to Carolina's 4 or 5 spot.  Carolina has made it clear that they want to bolster their defense, and they're facing a bit of a cap crunch with $7.6 million needed to fill 5 roster spots (not taking into account amnesties of course).  They've also invested a lot in forwards recently with Skinner, Semin and Staal.  There's a good chance that one of the good defenseman will be available at 11 through 9, Zadorov or Nurse, plus the Devils have cheap defensemen to offer, Gelinas, Urbom, Fayne (albeit he's a UFA after next season). 

Problem I guess is that Carolina probably perceives themselves as a team that can win now, so they may not have use for unproven defenseman like Urbom and Gelinas, both of whom have limited upside.

Lou was able to hoodwink Edmonton to move up and get Parise.  Maybe he can kibosh again.

If I'm Carolina, I would take a long look at swapping picks to add Fayne.   Justin Faulk, Mark Fayne and a guy like Nurse looks really good for a long time.   

With the glut of defenseman we have, we could throw in Tallinder as a saftey net with one of Urbom/Gelinas.  That would be ideal for the Devils, especially if we re-sign Zidlicky but I don't think the Canes should do that.   

Forgive my ignorance, but I really haven't had a chance to study up on the draft yet.

Who would be there at 4 or 5 that the Devils would absolutely want to trade up for?

The player I have in mind is Barkov.  As things stand now, it's 50/50 that he'll be available at 5. 

I don't profess to know the nuts and bolts of prospects, but J MacIssac -- who has hit on guys like Giroux -- has compared him to Datsyuk.  Caron posted an interview with a scout that absolutely raved about Barkov.  He's 17 and he's putting up great offensive numbers in the Finnish Elite League -- which is close to the Swedish Elite League in terms of quality. 

Edited by Daniel

I'm ashamed to admit that I found myself rooting against the Devils the past couple of games to get a better draft pick. I don't condone tanking but it seems like we might have played ourselves out of a top ten pick. 

Winning the lottery is a pipe dream and the only chance we have for a great pick would be trading up which unfortunately I think is also a pipe dream. I think it would take more than Fayne to land a top 5 pick though. We'd probably have to part with Merrill and our 1st and even then I don't know if Carolina takes it. I'd love to do Matteau and our 1st but that's probably not enough either.

Unfortunately I think we'd have to part with Larsson or Henrique to move up to the top 5. 

When almost every other bottom dwelling team is tanking it, the Devils are doing everything in their power to finish 9th. I appreciate them playing hard and in fact agree with this approach, but like others have said, it would be nice if they found a way to lose-as was the case in the last 30 games. One can only hope that we win the lottery again on account of their hard work. Fingers crossed!

I'm ashamed to admit that I found myself rooting against the Devils the past couple of games to get a better draft pick. I don't condone tanking but it seems like we might have played ourselves out of a top ten pick. 

Winning the lottery is a pipe dream and the only chance we have for a great pick would be trading up which unfortunately I think is also a pipe dream. I think it would take more than Fayne to land a top 5 pick though. We'd probably have to part with Merrill and our 1st and even then I don't know if Carolina takes it. I'd love to do Matteau and our 1st but that's probably not enough either.

Unfortunately I think we'd have to part with Larsson or Henrique to move up to the top 5. 

I'd consider doing a package with Henrique to be sure to land Barkov. Something else though would need to come back.  Maybe a conditional first next year.

Daniel, on 26 Apr 2013 - 14:12, said:

I'd consider doing a package with Henrique to be sure to land Barkov. Something else though would need to come back. Maybe a conditional first next year.

Honestly I think I would too. Not that I've given up on Henrique after 1 bad season but I think the Devils really need a scoring top line forward for the future. Henrique brings a great game, but I'd still consider moving him in a good package.

No way would I give up on Henrique that easily, plus the fanbase loves him, he did a lot of big things for this franchise already. Keep him around and see how he bounces back.

I wouldn't see it as giving up on Henrique.  You would be getting a very good return for him. 

If I'm Carolina, I would take a long look at swapping picks to add Fayne.   Justin Faulk, Mark Fayne and a guy like Nurse looks really good for a long time.   

With the glut of defenseman we have, we could throw in Tallinder as a saftey net with one of Urbom/Gelinas.  That would be ideal for the Devils, especially if we re-sign Zidlicky but I don't think the Canes should do that.   

The problem with Fayne is that he's only under contract for next year.

I wouldn't see it as giving up on Henrique.  You would be getting a very good return for him. 

The problem with Fayne is that he's only under contract for next year.

I understand what you are saying but I would not trade him. He would have been on pace for over 20 goals which is better than his first year. I think he and Travis will have nice bounce back seasons.

maybe i'm missing something, but Carolina doesn't seem to be in that much trouble cap wise - they've got $7MM+ in cap space with only 3 spots to get to 20 - one of which is a backup goaltender.

now they could want fayne because he's an upgrade for their defense but i don't see them in a need to shed salary just because.

I understand what you are saying but I would not trade him. He would have been on pace for over 20 goals which is better than his first year. I think he and Travis will have nice bounce back seasons.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think Henrique is going to be anything more than a 2nd/3rd line tweener. I would absolutely trade him and our first for Nashville's first

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think Henrique is going to be anything more than a 2nd/3rd line tweener. I would absolutely trade him and our first for Nashville's first

i agree that's what he'll likely amount to but you need to give it one more year to make sure and frankly, last year's historic goals along with the parise departure and uncertainty of elias/clarkson make dealing him at this juncture very difficult.

maybe i'm missing something, but Carolina doesn't seem to be in that much trouble cap wise - they've got $7MM+ in cap space with only 3 spots to get to 20 - one of which is a backup goaltender.

now they could want fayne because he's an upgrade for their defense but i don't see them in a need to shed salary just because.

Yup, you are correct.  I think I had the number of players they had under contract next year at 15 for some reason.  Still, they'd rather have 22 players on the roster I suppose.

That's a heavy, heavy cost and the type that if it doesn't work, gets you fired.   They need more forwards in the fold, not less or equal.

True.  That's why it's ultimately how good your scouts think Barkov will be.  From all accounts, he's ready to step in immediately, so at worst, it's an equal amount of forwards.  I would try to get some kind of conditional first round pick next year.

I think about it more though, and it's a pipe dream.  Jordan Staal got the Penguins the eighth pick in a weak draft.  True, we'd be giving our first, but Staal is an excellent player.  The Kovy penalty really hurts. 

Hey, if you want a Russian, Nichushkin was sold/transferred today and went nuts.   That could drop him down a bit.

Barkov is from Finland, if that's what you were getting at.

What happened with Nichuskinin?  I though the issue with him was that he would be in the KHL for at least two years.

Barkov is from Finland, if that's what you were getting at.

What happened with Nichuskinin?  I though the issue with him was that he would be in the KHL for at least two years.

He's a dual.

Nichuskin was traded/sold/transferred (whatever it's called there) to Dynamo Moscow.   Afterwards, he's had a good day.

Igor Kleyner ‏@IgorKleyner 1h

SovSport: "Source close to Nichushkin says Valery, having found out about the trade, decided to stay in the NHL after draft"

Igor Kleyner ‏@IgorKleyner 1h

SovSport is now reporting Nichushkin is so upset about being traded to Dinamo wo his knowledge, he is leaning toward America *this* summer

Igor Kleyner ‏@IgorKleyner 1m

Rus media reports Nichushkin loses his cool after the loss to USA, curses at the reporters as he pushes his way out