2012-2013 NHL Playoffs

MDPucks

That group ousting Lemaire pretty much cinched the locker room issues.That's why I gave Julien a fair look when he went to Boston.  It's not his fault -- he's an ineffectual Pat Burns. and he's getting worse down that path IMO.  He's not aware of himself.  He knows hockey and he's got the correct vision -- it's HIM.  Him personally that is just off in his communication, his view of himself.  He's not aware of how he comes off so to me -- he seems a little almost erratic and therefore almost weakly transparent.  As coach you need someone who knows himself.  You can know the GAME and that's really important, it is priority number one.  But thereafter you have to know yourself so you can then know your players.  REALLY know your players.  He still doesn't get that -- he just can't with the way he behaves.  You know -- I feel like he could fix it but he might just be one of those guys.  :noclue:

You guys just don't put thought into this area.  Sometimes you can't work with certain things.  Other people maybe they can -- but for this organization just no way.  Absolutely Lou made no mistake and it's no big mystery.  I don't expect fans to really deeply empathize and intuit - its a hassle and it's very subjective and yet - I click with the organization and I see things -- maybe justify others but that's what's required.  It's a different dimension to the game.  To me keeping Bryce Salvatore is like keeping Julien.  I prefer dumping close but no cigar to the curb.  It's sloppy to me -- it's extraneous.  But maybe what Lou learned was better to have extraneous mental stuff with players rather than coaches.

DeBoer.... sometimes he's a little low key for me.  I also can tell we fans dont see a lot of things - or we can't sense what brews underneath.  but he's very honest while being rather distant and uninformative to the press.  He's lawyerly -- it's a fine line he treads.  He coudl easily get himself to a place where the team second guesses him wrongly. they may build resentment because he just might be low key manipulating.  It's that sense that there is something he's not telling -- it might breed bad second guessing and distrust.  BUT --- if he takes action in timely enough fashion you dont have time to go to far down a second guessing road.  You're on your toes and paying attention - but the picture isn't full enough to risk guessing intent -- and it's just full enough to NOT take you down the wrong road.  I worry he doesn't quite paint enough of the picture to get as rapid forward momentum as is possible with the team.

and no one cares :evil:  so anyhow -- I'd say sure I'm polishing a turd when I say I dont like Julien -- but he KEEPS doing it, even in Boston.  I find him just barnie.gif  If lou did too -- well then he's not going to work -- i dont give a sh!t how many times his name gets on the Cup with Boston - he doesn't belong with the Devils.  :P 

Edited by Pepperkorn

Lou's only fired one coach in the last decade.  And yeah that one hasn't worked out well but it's impossible to change the whole team just before the end of the season.  I think the Madden thing was just a symptom of the problem and the whole team really had tuned Julien out.

But why did they tune him out?  If he was ineffective then explain the 107-point season he was able to muster out of them?

I think it was more of the players with their ego's trying to take advantage and Lou took their side.

But why did they tune him out?  If he was ineffective then explain the 107-point season he was able to muster out of them?

I think it was more of the players with their ego's trying to take advantage and Lou took their side.

The same reason they had 99 points the next year with an even worse team, because Marty had one of his peak years and they were able to win a lot of tight low-scoring games.  The funny thing was the Devils had actually won four of five games before the firing, though creepy Pierre said Lou wasn't happy with the way the team looked in one of the games Buffalo sliced through them.

Plus they had other issues at the time.  It wasn't immediately obvious that MacLean was the entire problem considering Parise was hurt, Kovy was disgruntled, Langenbrunner had quit on the team and they had cap roster headaches early in the season.  The only time he could have been realistically fired before that was after the November loss against the Islanders, but they actually won three other games that week.

If you're referring to '06 that was before Julien.  '09 Sutter coached the team.

my bad. i thought that was Julien. So many coaches in and out the door within such an amount of time. I can't keep up. :doh1:

Not for nothing but Julien has been fired about 5 times by the Boston press and would have been fired if the Bruins had lost in 2011 to the Habs or blew-it against Toronto this season.

The Bruins had a hot start but played below mediocre the final 2 months to end the regular season and Claude was heavily criticized for what seemed to be major steps back by players such as Lucic, Seguin, and Horton while the once stud prospect Rask was seen as "eh".  Meanwhile Julian had a maddening loyalty to mediocre players such as Peverly and Chris Kelley (who had become known as the "High Glass Line" for their lack of finishing glorious chances).

So what happened?  Jagr stabilized the 2nd and 3rd lines while Julian was forced to play his kids on defense such as Krug who can move the puck.

Disagree. Doc is still the best there is, and it's not close. I don't think he's lost his touch at all.

I am a huge Doc fan but he was awful for the first ten minutes of this game. Many awkward miss calls and he was talking about Shaws mouth and what not lmao he is rambling way too much lately. Him and Chico were magic together. Doc Pierre and Edzo just seem so awkward together, not bashing Doc, still love him and he is still one of the best but he was much better before he went to NBC full time. Just my opinion though. :)

Edited by Zubie#8

They are playing Devils Hurricanes Game 2 from 2006 on NHL network. Good to watch if you turn it off with about 15 seconds to go in the game.

It's actually hilarious seeing the OLN logo and the Thank You Fans.  It really is remarkable how the last thirty seconds played out.  Only Devils-Canes :P