TheMazz

The following quote is from a recent exchange with TheFourthPeriod:

"Let's be honest. I'm not stupid. I know I have a year left and they can
probably deal me for prospects, young guys, whatever else is out
there," Vanek told the Buffalo News this weekend. "Yeah, I've thought
about it. If it looks like it's a long rebuild, then it probably makes
sense for both parties to move on."

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/buf130429.html

Get it done Lou.. now is your chance to snag that top six forward we all have been waiting for!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I don't think Buffalo wants a 1st round draft pick, but I would imagine they'd prefer a package of 3-4 solid prospects, almost-NHL ready or better. I think Buffalo's GM feels more a sense of urgency than the patience of waiting for like an Islanders-style 5-6 year "rebuild".

It'd be bittersweet. As with any trade for a major player, it'd take some important pieces of the Devils future to land Vanek, not sure how I'll feel if we gave up some of them.

It's amazing the kind of negativity and dark cloud that's been over the fanbase and management in Buffalo literally ALL YEAR. What scares me is that both our teams finished at 48 points. Maybe because of 2011-2012 season and our management's track record, we're trained not to think "rebuild" after a season like this.

Seems as though Miller wants out too.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9218536/ryan-miller-uncertain-future-buffalo-sabres

It's amazing the kind of negativity and dark cloud that's been over the fanbase and management in Buffalo literally ALL YEAR. What scares me is that both our teams finished at 48 points. Maybe because of 2011-2012 season and our management's track record, we're trained not to think "rebuild" after a season like this.

Why is Buffalo ahead of us in the draft when we both have 48 points? Isn't the first tiebreak wins, of which we have fewer?

We can afford one or two seasons like this. I don't think the Devils will make being out of the playoffs a regular thing. Not to mention the Devils are ovbiously the more successful franchise. We might have both finished at 48 points but it's two different teams really IMO.

I don't think Vanek is going to command such a massive return for a pending FA. We could easily give up a Kovy like return. Josefson/Tallinder/Urbom  = Bergfors/Oydua/Cormier.

And I wouldn't think that'd be giving up too much either.

Seems as though Miller wants out too.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9218536/ryan-miller-uncertain-future-buffalo-sabres

Why is Buffalo ahead of us in the draft when we both have 48 points? Isn't the first tiebreak wins, of which we have fewer?

First tie breaker is regulation or overtime wins (basically excludes shootout wins) and unfortunately we have 17 and the Sabres 14.

Buffalo is in a much worse spot than we are.  They should've been a much worse team than they ended up being, they traded away one of their top players and 2 more look like they're definitely leaving.  They're possibly entering a years-long rebuild.

a lot of people are assuming they ask for a first rounder.  a lot of times we'll see in a scenario like this (and in other sports) where you end up giving less than you think.  The closer it gets until Vanek's contract runs out, the more urgent Buffalo would be.

Maybe a future first, a couple of 2nds, and a third, Tallinder, and Urbom?  Thats CERTAINLY wishful thinking but if you give up three picks and send basically two NHL ready DMen, its not completely unreasonable.

BUT of course, as Daniel stated, you MUST work out an extension on that contract.

This is exciting, but more likely just hype over something that wont happen

Edited by Onddeck

a lot of people are assuming they ask for a first rounder.  a lot of times we'll see in a scenario like this (and in other sports) where you end up giving less than you think.  The closer it gets until Vanek's contract runs out, the more urgent Buffalo would be.

Maybe a future first, a couple of 2nds, and a third, Tallinder, and Urbom?  Thats CERTAINLY wishful thinking but if you give up three picks and send basically two NHL ready DMen, its not completely unreasonable.

BUT of course, as Daniel stated, you MUST work out an extension on that contract.

This is exciting, but more likely just hype over something that wont happen

I'd think the only way this deal happens is if the Devils work out an extension with Vanek before hand...it's too bad that sign and trades in the NHL aren't allowed. Still I think we have enough tradable assets for a deal to be made. We have the cap room to sign him but we also have other players to sign as well.. so who knows how much cap room will be left over to potentially make such a signing happen.

Edited by TheMazz

Tallinder + Henrique + Urbom + Tedenby + 2nd/3rd

Wishful thinking? 

Don't think they'll want Tallinder (they've been there and done that, though with only one year left on his deal, he's attractive from a money and years standpoint), and Tedenby is just a throw-in at this point...I don't think they care one way or another if he's a part of this deal...he's a bag of pucks.

Henrique, Urbom, this year's 1st and something else might get them to listen. 

Don't think they'll want Tallinder (they've been there and done that, though with only one year left on his deal, he's attractive from a money and years standpoint), and Tedenby is just a throw-in at this point...I don't think they care one way or another if he's a part of this deal...he's a bag of pucks.

Henrique, Urbom, this year's 1st and something else might get them to listen. 

Pointless to include Henrique in any of these potential deals....he is going to be a quality player for us for some time....

The point is to SUPPLEMENT our forwards, not give one away to get another back...

Pointless to include Henrique in any of these potential deals....he is going to be a quality player for us for some time....

The point is to SUPPLEMENT our forwards, not give one away to get another back...

They're going to want a forward who has a good chance to help them right away...one who's young and inexpensive.  Gotta give something up to get something back. 

I think the Sabres do that deal in a second. 

they would - it's a ridiculous overpayment.

hell, henrique and urbom would be a great return for them. henrique is cost controlled for another 5 years and urbom's a baby.

again - vanek has one more year of team control and a very high salary. i'd like him as much as the next guy but i don't think the devils are in a position to give what is necessary.

are you kidding?? adding Henrique in that deal is insane. I probably wouldn't even want to see it happen.  You gotta keep Henrique.  The only thing we can really afford to get rid of is our D man.  Our picks should make up for us not trading one of our forwards.

look at last years stats:

Henrique finished with 51 points and Vanek finished with 61.  Theres no way I would give up Henrique, we would be the losers

Call me crazy, but I think we saw the real Henrique this year (albeit with some increased bad luck). I think Parise and Kovalchuk made him a much better player last year.

I'm a fan of selling high, and I honestly think Henrique's value is as high as it's going to get right now. If you could bring in Vanek with a condition relating to an extension, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Call me crazy, but I think we saw the real Henrique this year (albeit with some increased bad luck). I think Parise and Kovalchuk made him a much better player last year.

I'm a fan of selling high, and I honestly think Henrique's value is as high as it's going to get right now. If you could bring in Vanek with a condition relating to an extension, I'd do it in a heart beat.

I considered that maybe this year was the real Henrique, but everyone had a down year this year.  I don't think that we have the assets for Vanek.  Bad idea.  He's injury prone too.