Kovy and Lokti - 2013 IIHF World Championship

Aznjsn

Oh right, you mean they asked their would-be best defenseman if his NHL team, which was using him for 20 minutes a game at that point, if he could leave that team to play in a junior hockey tournament.

Obviously that isn't the point - the point is that there is no grudge.

Kovy is playing on a line with Loktionov and Alexander Radulov (former Nashville Predator). The Line is +5 trough 2 GP so far. Maybe Kovy and Lokti can build some chemistry that will help us next year. If Loktionov gets resigned.

Kovy is playing on a line with Loktionov and Alexander Radulov (former Nashville Predator). The Line is +5 trough 2 GP so far. Maybe Kovy and Lokti can build some chemistry that will help us next year. If Loktionov gets resigned.

Thanks for that update, I love that Loktionov is getting more experience with Kovalchuk.

NBCSN is broadcasting all the US games (some on delay) and I believe the playoff round as well. Going to put my DVR to good use to watch Gionta and Carter and the rest of the Americans.

Belarus has Albany D Raman Hrabarenka (aka Roman Graborenko) on their team. I saw a report out of Owen Sound that Devils prospect Artur Gavrus was with the Belarus team but he hasn't played for them yet. Not sure if the report was inaccurate or if he is just a reserve. (I don't even know the roster rules for this)

Thanks for that update, I love that Loktionov is getting more experience with Kovalchuk.

NBCSN is broadcasting all the US games (some on delay) and I believe the playoff round as well. Going to put my DVR to good use to watch Gionta and Carter and the rest of the Americans.

Belarus has Albany D Raman Hrabarenka (aka Roman Graborenko) on their team. I saw a report out of Owen Sound that Devils prospect Artur Gavrus was with the Belarus team but he hasn't played for them yet. Not sure if the report was inaccurate or if he is just a reserve. (I don't even know the roster rules for this)

Hrabarenka is playing 23 minutes per Game, not bad for his age at this stage. Belarus Roster

Gavrus has not been named to the team roster til now. But Belarus has two open spots, so maybe he can play later in the tournament. (per iihf rules you can name 22 skaters and 3 goalies, belarus has named 20 skaters and 3 goalies til now.)

Gionta looks even smaller on that Olympic size rink. :P

He looked lost out there.  As much as I respect the guy for getting to the show, I can't help but feel his roster spot couldn't be utilized better for both the US and the Devils.

Edited by hystyk28

He looked lost out there.  As much as I respect the guy for getting to the show, I can't help but feel his roster spot couldn't be utilized better for both the US and the Devils.

Every time Gionta gets called out on this forum, he answers with a goal

Every time Gionta gets called out on this forum, he answers with a goal

lol. It's hilarious. I'm no Gionta lover, but he's been a solid 4th liner for us. The only issue I have with him is his smallness being so evident on the PK, otherwise I'm fine with him on our 4th line.

lol. It's hilarious. I'm no Gionta lover, but he's been a solid 4th liner for us. The only issue I have with him is his smallness being so evident on the PK, otherwise I'm fine with him on our 4th line.

thats true but again... is it Gionta's fault that he's small and that the coach put him on the PK ? no. Its our lack of depth. No need to knock on him for that.

Put Gionta's heart in Kovalchuk's body please.

Hope that's not a dig on Kovalchuk, but a compliment toward Gionta. I don't think Kovy has any more proving to do to our fanbase after playing most of the playoffs last year with practically a broken back. I'm sure none of us have gone through weeks of such pain to further a cause, I'd say that's heart.

Edited by DJ Eco

Hope that's not a dig on Kovalchuk, but a compliment toward Gionta. I don't think Kovy has any more proving to do to our fanbase after playing most of the playoffs last year with practically a broken back. I'm sure none of us have gone through weeks of such pain to further a cause, I'd say that's heart.

Compliment of Gio.

Maybe I should have said too bad Gio doesn't have Kovalchuks body but that sounds a little weird. :giggle:

Edited by Zubie#8

Compliment of Gio.

Maybe I should have said too bad Gio doesn't have Kovalchuks body but that sounds a little weird. :giggle:

well to be honest i'd REALLY like to see Kovy play with more energy and hustle, especially on the backcheck... he's often gliding towards where he's heading rather than skating full speed ala Gionta, Carter, Parise etc etc. even when he'd really need to.

i'd like to see a Kovalchuk playing steady like he is when he goes on a mission and take over a whole shift cause he want to make something happen. Im never sure if its him sticking to the system and slowing things down or just the way he is. But certainly when Kovy decides "alright, this puck is on the net in the next 10-15 seconds" it's always a fvcking beauty.

Could it be that he is pacing himself due to the minutes he plays?  I know he wants to be out there and I know he is a work horse, but a forward playing those minutes ain't easy to keep the hustle at 100%.

well to be honest i'd REALLY like to see Kovy play with more energy and hustle, especially on the backcheck... he's often gliding towards where he's heading rather than skating full speed ala Gionta, Carter, Parise etc etc. even when he'd really need to.

i'd like to see a Kovalchuk playing steady like he is when he goes on a mission and take over a whole shift cause he want to make something happen. Im never sure if its him sticking to the system and slowing things down or just the way he is. But certainly when Kovy decides "alright, this puck is on the net in the next 10-15 seconds" it's always a fvcking beauty.