Kovy and Lokti - 2013 IIHF World Championship

Aznjsn

Today the Czechs nominated Marek Zidlicky (and also Plekanec)  to their WC-Squad. I'm a little bit surprised that a player who is an UFA takes the risk of an injury..... (that's why Elias said he would not play in the WC this year).

But ok, another Devil at the WC.

BTW: Artur Gavrus (Devils Prospect) played the last 3 games for Belarus and registered 0P and -3 with 13:19 TOI

Ben Bishop really hurt the US today with some bad goals. Instead of finishing 1st in their group they fell to 3rd and will have to play Russia who they lost to earlier in the tournament in the quarterfinals. I have more faith in Gibson starting instead of Bishop from here on out.

Today the Czechs nominated Marek Zidlicky (and also Plekanec)  to their WC-Squad. I'm a little bit surprised that a player who is an UFA takes the risk of an injury..... (that's why Elias said he would not play in the WC this year).

But ok, another Devil at the WC.

BTW: Artur Gavrus (Devils Prospect) played the last 3 games for Belarus and registered 0P and -3 with 13:19 TOI

You could read Zidlicky's nomination one of three ways - he's staying in Europe no matter what, he's already got a contract with the Devils ready to be signed when both parties are ready, or he doesn't care and is willing to take the risk.

You could read Zidlicky's nomination one of three ways - he's staying in Europe no matter what, he's already got a contract with the Devils ready to be signed when both parties are ready, or he doesn't care and is willing to take the risk.

I'm gonna go with the third one.. I don't think Lou's signed him yet, I think he's just honored to join his country at the WC. Maybe he's working on getting the nod for the Olympics next year?

Here are the stats of the Players in the Devils Organisation after the Preliminary Round of the WC 2013.  Beside Kovy nothing amazing....except 23 Minutes Icetime per Game for 20Year old defenseman Hrabarenka......and Gionta turns into a Goalscoring Machine with 3G in 7 Games . :thumbsup:

GP  G  A    P            TOI

KOVALCHUCK Ilya     Russia     7    8   5   13  +8    20:20
LOKTIONOV Andrei   Russia     7    0   1     1  +6    10:06
GIONTA Stephen       USA         7    3   0     3   -1    14:19

CARTER Ryan           USA         7   0   0     0   -1    15:26
TALLINDER Henrik    Sweden    7   1   1     1   +5    19:20
ZIDLICKY Marek        Czech R.  1   0  0     0   +1    21:12
HRABARENKA R.      Belarus     7   1   0    1    -1    23:22

GAVRUS Artur           Belarus     3   0   0    0   -1     13:10

Edited by D88

Quarterfinal: Russia - USA 3-8

http://www.iihf.com/competition/352/news/news-singleview-2013/recap/7941.html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=7123&cHash=16d7a95566

The U.S. had never scored more than five goals against the Russians in either the World Championships or the Olympics. The record is now eight, after an impressive 8-3 win in the 2013 World Championship quarter-final.

Edited by eaglejelly

This is for Fiesty I guess, since he has his finger on the pulse of the prospects/minor league guys: how is this kid Hrabarenka? I didn't realize he was only 20, I thought he was much older and was one of those career-AHL type dudes. Does he have any kind of future with the big club? Or is he a guy we could use as part of a package for a forward or something? I haven't really heard much about him at all. With how deep the organization is on D, this kid kind of got lost in the shuffle for me.

Can someone with any sort of knowledge of hockey history tell me why the wider rinks were never adopted in the NHL?

I feel like it'd lead to increased scoring and less injuries (more space, less open-ice collisions, perhaps?), but it's obviously no feasible to adopt the wider rinks now.

Well according to my own speculation, they probably use smaller rinks here so they can fit more seats in the arenas.  Also when the sport was starting to be professionalized back in the day, there probably wasn't an international governing body yet so there weren't set standards.  I guess the norm in North America was just smaller than the norm in the rest of the world so it remains that way.  Or maybe it has something to do with the metric system.

Can someone with any sort of knowledge of hockey history tell me why the wider rinks were never adopted in the NHL?

I feel like it'd lead to increased scoring and less injuries (more space, less open-ice collisions, perhaps?), but it's obviously no feasible to adopt the wider rinks now.

No idea why they use smaller rinks in NA.. The larger international ice surface gives players more time and space to make creative plays, which results in more chances/goals all around. The NA "dump-in" style of hockey is notably more physical, and it's more difficult to make the creative skill-plays, even more so for smaller players.

I would love for the NHL to adopt international rink sizes..  We'd see wonderful and entertaining hockey with plenty of goals. Zuccarello would be a 1st liner and Crosby would average 2,5 points pr game.. :D 

No idea why they use smaller rinks in NA.. The larger international ice surface gives players more time and space to make creative plays, which results in more chances/goals all around. The NA "dump-in" style of hockey is notably more physical, and it's more difficult to make the creative skill-plays, even more so for smaller players.

I would love for the NHL to adopt international rink sizes..  We'd see wonderful and entertaining hockey with plenty of goals. Zuccarello would be a 1st liner and Crosby would average 2,5 points pr game.. :D 

The bigger rinks are also notable for keeping the shots coming from further from the goalie, which result in less goals.  

I think a lot of NA think bigger rinks means more excitement because we only see the bigger rinks in All-Star tournaments like the Olympics, but if you watch another really good league, like the KHL, on the bigger rinks the game actually generates less chances and excitement because more of the game takes place further away from the goals.  Also, worrying about all the extra skating room encourages teams to play systems that make sure they have coverage dropping back early.

Yeah ProSkate in Monmouth Junction has an NHL-size rink as well as an international-size rink.  I know some people who play there and they all hate when they have to use the international rink for the same reasons Devils731 mentioned.  None of them are pros, but the point remains.

The bigger rinks are also notable for keeping the shots coming from further from the goalie, which result in less goals.  

So let me get this straight.. You are seriously saying that the wider rinks result in fewer goals? Have you ever watched any international/european hockey? A sidenote; the distance from the goal to the blueline is longer in the NHL then on international rinks.  Also, these "All Star" tournaments have "All Star" defenders/goalies as well.

EDIT: Can Triumph or someone dig up some actual stats ? :D  Average goals scored pr game in the NHL vs KHL would be good.

Edited by njdevsftw

So let me get this straight.. You are seriously saying that the wider rinks result in fewer goals? Have you ever watched any international/european hockey? A sidenote; the distance from the goal to the blueline is longer in the NHL then on international rinks.  Also, these "All Star" tournaments have "All Star" defenders/goalies as well.

EDIT: Can Triumph or someone dig up some actual stats ? :D  Average goals scored pr game in the NHL vs KHL would be good.

Average goals scored versus different leagues doesn't tell us much because they're completely different players in those league.

I watched a lot of KHL games this season and the game was much less aggressive with much less chances going on.  I've watched SEL games when I could.  

The NHL would be lesser exciting using bigger rinks.  Teams would drop back even quicker to avoid giving teams wide open skates.  It would become even more a perimeter game than it is now.  At least now the smaller rink forces some confrontations and poor defensive plays due to lack of time, on a bigger rink those defenders get more time to make decisions and more time means less mistakes.  Offense comes more from mistakes made by the defense than from great plays from the offense.

Edited by Devils731

Well, the more I think about this the less confident I am in my own arguments. Fact is, I find the NHL *way* more entertaining to watch then any other league, and it's not even close. A wider ice surface will no doubt allow skill players more time and space, and should allow them to produce more offense or at least more creative plays. That said, the pace and intensity of the NHL feels (and probably is) a lot higher. A lot of that is clearly because of the superior talent pool in the NHL, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that the rink size actually contributes a great deal to this as well.

I think a bigger ice surface would make a more exciting game if goalie equipment shrunk.  If teams had to fear goals being scored from the outside then teams could collapse on the net and it would lead to the defense running around trying to cover everyone.  As it is, the big goalie equipment means teams don't fear shots from the outside and would just let players skate around along the boards, too far away from the net to really be a danger.

So really, this is just another goalie equipment problem to me. :lol: